HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 12:04 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
That would be absolutely hellish for opposing teams. When you have a guy like Hall who blasts by defenders, teams have to accommodate him by matching lines and players with him. When you have two lines with that same type of player, it is extremely difficult for teams to stretch their defensively strong players to account for those two lines. Few teams have enough of these players where its not a problem, but many teams have trouble containing even one line of Hall, let alone two.
Except we may not see much of Hall if he doesn't change his style. At the moment, he makes himself easy to handle, leaving only one line to worry about. Wait until he falls, hit him, take puck, rinse and repeat.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
soothsayer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Except we may not see much of Hall if he doesn't change his style. At the moment, he makes himself easy to handle, leaving only one line to worry about.
Yeah, he definitely needs to keep his head up. I'm not sure I agree that he makes himself easy to handle, at least not full-stop. There are times where he can't break through good dmen with speed, but I like to chalk that up to immaturity for now. Its like when you try a move in NHL 12 and you miss, you keep on trying it until you get it, just to prove to yourself that you can do it. He needs to recognize that there are times that he can't will his way through defensemen, no doubt.

Edit: I wonder if two lines of bull-like speed would simply wear defenders down to the point that they just can't keep up by the third period.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
Yeah, he definitely needs to keep his head up. I'm not sure I agree that he makes himself easy to handle, at least not full-stop. There are times where he can't break through good dmen with speed, but I like to chalk that up to immaturity for now. Its like when you try a move in NHL 12 and you miss, you keep on trying it until you get it, just to prove to yourself that you can do it. He needs to recognize that there are times that he can't will his way through defensemen, no doubt.
I can totally relate to that, actually.

I always try to use the same move to score, and when it fails, I get pissed and just have to keep doing it until it works. That has cost me a few online games...

Old
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Except we may not see much of Hall if he doesn't change his style. At the moment, he makes himself easy to handle, leaving only one line to worry about. Wait until he falls, hit him, take puck, rinse and repeat.
I actually disagree with this.

That was the 1st year Taylor Hall.

Yes, 2nd year Taylor Hall had his flaws, but he thought the game a lot better. Uses his speed effectively, pushes the opposing team BACK. There were a lot of little things in where he improved on. Hall was mixing it up and showing those dynamic offensive talents.

(@1:58)

Some fans are currently giving him the Tavares treatment - "Weren't you supposed to be amazing (OMFG)?!"

I loved his game this year, on his off days he still worked through it.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Lacaar

I thought Hedman and Erik Johnson were the surest dmen in the draft since I can remember.

While they both could still turn into top ten Dmen I thought they would have acheived it in a matter of a year or two.

Then I see Pietrangelo and how good he is now. I remember watching him in his first WJC and I thought he was terrible. His second one he was leaps and bounds better. I'm guessing he must just have kept on improving to the point I think people would rather him over Doughty now.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:20 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Just a reminder that this thread isn't about Hall either before that tangent goes too far.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
His hand speed and accuracy is like Eberle but his footspeed is like Hall.
Pretty much this. Drooool.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Ganz
Dibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Just a reminder that this thread isn't about Hall either before this tangent goes too far.
I just miss the guy...

Alright. Back on track

Old
04-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
not in this thread. Yes after breaking Stamkos record in Sarnia and after his incredible start this year I am sure that somewhere on the internet his was called a generational talent.
Oh whoops.. Didn't know (see cause im blind) that was the criteria, Mybad.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
This guy's attitude combined with Hall's.... gonna be sweeping up Oil City ladies next year.
Yup, i could definitely see those 2 er...Nailing their fair share.

I dont like the way Tambo is talking about the pick right now, if he doesnt pick the Yak, it will be the final Nail in the coffin for him IMO. And i'm actually one of the few on here that thinks Tambo is better than what he's portrayed as on HF, but yeah, take the Yak and dont look back, Jack!!!

Old
04-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Quote:
He seems extremely cocky, and it's worrisome.
You don't think Hall, Nuge, or Eberle are cocky? These guys have grown up being the best player on every team they played for, of course they are cocky. I'd say 99% of the players in the NHL are, and rightfully so. Doesn't mean that he is going to become a dressing room cancer or anything. A little confidence is a good thing, and that's something this franchise has lacked for quite some time.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Yup, i could definitely see those 2 er...Nailing their fair share.

I dont like the way Tambo is talking about the pick right now, if he doesnt pick the Yak, it will be the final Nail in the coffin for him IMO. And i'm actually one of the few on here that thinks Tambo is better than what he's portrayed as on HF, but yeah, take the Yak and dont look back, Jack!!!
I agree. He talked about Yakupov not having the "elite resume" that Hall had and that he's not as good as Hall or some stupid garbage like that. I know Tambellini likes to keep his cards close to his chest but those kind of statements are just dumb and it seriously makes me question how competent he really is.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Namtsua

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
I just miss the guy...

Alright. Back on track

Thank you for this vid

After watching more interviews and more videos I have changed my opinion on Yakupov. At first, I thought he was really full of himself and cocky, but, in reality, he is just very competetive and has a drive to win. I also was worried that he would bolt back to Russia, but after hearing him talking about Pavel Bure and Malkin and watching the NHL as a kid, I can tell he will stay. Fail for Nail = Complete

Old
04-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
I agree. He talked about Yakupov not having the "elite resume" that Hall had and that he's not as good as Hall or some stupid garbage like that. I know Tambellini likes to keep his cards close to his chest but those kind of statements are just dumb and it seriously makes me question how competent he really is.
I find it hard to believe he said that.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Tambo did say that Yak did not have the elite resume like Hall....which is true...Hall was the first ever back to back Mem cup MVP.......

Old
04-12-2012, 01:36 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I would like a link. If Tambo is going around saying Yakupov isn't that good and saying there is no superstar players in this draft. IT really makes me wonder about the guy. period.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
dixs35

Last edited by dixs35: 04-12-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old
04-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I would like a link. If Tambo is going around saying Yakupov isn't that good and saying there is no superstar players in this draft. IT really makes me wonder about the guy. period.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...121/story.html

Old
04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtsua View Post
Thank you for this vid

After watching more interviews and more videos I have changed my opinion on Yakupov. At first, I thought he was really full of himself and cocky, but, in reality, he is just very competetive and has a drive to win. I also was worried that he would bolt back to Russia, but after hearing him talking about Pavel Bure and Malkin and watching the NHL as a kid, I can tell he will stay. Fail for Nail = Complete
A little cockiness wouldn't hurt this group anyway.

Messier, Tikkanen, Anderson had just that right amount of "arrogant ******" in them with the talent to back it up. Even in Gretzky on the ice that would come out.

When other teams line up and look over at us and see Yakupov, Hall, RNH, and Eberle staring back at them during warm up, I want them to poop their pants a little. We need to own that mantle of being a team that expects to win.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Arpeggio

He doesn't say Yakupov isn't as good as Hall. And being more open to trading the pick seems to be Matheson putting words into Tambellini's mouth.

I do think Tambellini is trying to temper expectations should he deal the pick, which does make me a bit uneasy. I guess we'll find out a few months from now.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Tambo did say that Yak did not have the elite resume like Hall....which is true...Hall was the first ever back to back Mem cup MVP.......
Hall was on a super stacked team, though. It's a pretty unfair comparison imo.

And then there's this gem: “He’s not the player people are talking about like (Sidney) Crosby or (Alex) Ovechkin. He hasn’t had that kind of impact up to that point,”

And Hall and RNH have?

I dunno...I just hope he's being coy.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I honestly don't think that Tambellini expected to have #1 overall again. I have a feeling that he hasn't really looked at Yakupov too much. I think that in the next 2 and a half months he'll see enough to know that you cannot turn down a player like Nail.

I would hope that Stu is harassing Tambellini with texts, phone calls and e-mails telling him not to deal the pick. That is, unless it's an incredible asset coming back that's locked into an extended contract. (Which won't happen.)

Old
04-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Namtsua

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
A little cockiness wouldn't hurt this group anyway.

Messier, Tikkanen, Anderson had just that right amount of "arrogant ******" in them with the talent to back it up. Even in Gretzky on the ice that would come out.

When other teams line up and look over at us and see Yakupov, Hall, RNH, and Eberle staring back at them during warm up, I want them to poop their pants a little. We need to own that mantle of being a team that expects to win.
As long as their pants have been **** due to the intimidation of our forwards and not because they were laughing about our defense

Old
04-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtsua View Post
As long as their pants have been **** due to the intimidation of our forwards and not because they were laughing about our defense
I don't see our defensive group in the long run being a push over. We'll have the size of a freaking basketball team back there.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:31 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I honestly don't think that Tambellini expected to have #1 overall again. I have a feeling that he hasn't really looked at Yakupov too much. I think that in the next 2 and a half months he'll see enough to know that you cannot turn down a player like Nail.

I would hope that Stu is harassing Tambellini with texts, phone calls and e-mails telling him not to deal the pick. That is, unless it's an incredible asset coming back that's locked into an extended contract. (Which won't happen.)
I kind of get the same feeling. I don't think Tambo realizes what Yakupov can bring to the team. Hopefully in the couple months he finds out, but if he trades down with Columbus for a second only to draft Murray or some **** like that, he should be fired on the spot. That would be his final straw.

Closed Thread