HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I see only darkness

vCash: 500
Wow never thought we would get him so I didn't pay much attention to him....but wow.

Fast, uses his team mates alot on give and goes, wicked wrist shot, awesome one timer, scores alot on breakaways, his passion for the game is ridiculous....umm yes please.

Tambo please don't be stupid and trade this guy away.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Nice shot, great one timer.mcelebrates like ovi and old kovi

Old
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
The Moose

I see he missed more than 20 games this season. Did he have any other health issues besides the concussion?

Old
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
South Indian Stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
We're in a situation where Hall could end up being our 3rd or 4th best player. That's pretty wild. I'll always have time for Hall even if he is passed on the depth chart though. There probably isn't a player under 22 that I'd rather have in the playoffs. That includes Stamkos(he's been a bit of a choke artist so far).

With that said...I've been tempering my expectations all year when it comes to Yakupov. Being 18 years old for your entire draft year is a pretty nice advantage. If I remember correctly, he's only a couple months younger than Huberdeau and missed the cut off for the 2011 draft by a couple weeks. Had he been slightly older, he likely would have been playing for Colorado this season. So of course he was going to put up very good numbers this year in junior. Can you imagine what RNH would have done in the OHL this year? I'd imagine his stats would have been a lot better than what Yakupov put up this year.
But didn't he pot nearly 50 goals and a 106 points as a 17 year old last season?

Old
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I see he missed more than 20 games this season. Did he have any other health issues besides the concussion?
He had a back injury I believe, but most of those games were due to the WJC if I'm not mistaken.

04-11-2012, 10:02 AM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

We better not trade this pick......See all trades involving 1st round picks besides the Lindros deal.....never works out for the team giving up the pick. Islanders anyone?

Old
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
We better not trade this pick......See all trades involving 1st round picks besides the Lindros deal.....never works out for the team giving up the pick. Islanders anyone?
Florida as well. Ended up trading down to take Bouweemester and Horton instead of just taking Rick Nash and Eric Staal

In the end they ended up getting basically very little for Jay Bo (well basically nothing there) and Horton.

Trading down to me always sorta feels like trying to get too fancy on a 3-on-1 ... if a shot is there, just take the damn shot.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
I like what Howson said yesterday about the pick "You can't trade the pick."

Old
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
oilphan

Looks like a few more shootout victories next year.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Florida as well. Ended up trading down to take Bouweemester and Horton instead of just taking Rick Nash and Eric Staal

In the end they ended up getting basically very little for Jay Bo (well basically nothing there) and Horton.

Trading down to me always sorta feels like trying to get too fancy on a 3-on-1 ... if a shot is there, just take the damn shot.
Bolded for truth

Old
04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Oiler11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He had a back injury I believe, but most of those games were due to the WJC if I'm not mistaken.

Back was hurt for a couple of weeks. Then he hurt his knee and was out for a month. And then he got a concussion right before the season ended for them. He came back for the playoffs, but probably wasn't 100% from the concussion, and played decidedly average.

So, 3 injuries, the most concerning is the concussion. Probably a lesson learned, because if he makes those cuts to the middle with his head down in the NHL...

Those injuries tempered my enthusiasm about him a little, but then I remembered that he scored 49 goals and 101 points in his ROOKIE season in the OHL, breaking Stamkos' record. He's got the goods, he's just got to keep his head up. Same with Hall.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
BowDangles

I want them to draft this kid, looks like a serious offensive talent. Any one know how he is in his own end? I know you can teach this but some kids already have it (Nuge).

If they do not use the draft pick I really hope they trade it straight up for a franchise defensemen. The worst thing they can do it trade down for one of the top 5 picks and a mediocre player with upside...

DRAFT YAKUPOV. Acquire D through other means.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Baggers

Quote:

Agreed.

Tambellini should accept only a Lindros-type deal or no deal.

None of this Gardiner/Schenn + 5th overall rubbish.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
copperandblue

Quote:

There is certainly a risk involved but I would argue that Florida's problem wasn't those moves specifically but the general mismanagement that was subsequent to them.

In all honesty is Rick Nash really that big of a prize? Good player sure but in the history of Number 1 picks I don't think he would rank all that high - a good example of being the best of a bad lot ? - and if (I am not making a statement here) Yakupov is in a Nash range of impact then I think you have to atleast consider your options.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
There is certainly a risk involved but I would argue that Florida's problem wasn't those moves specifically but the general mismanagement that was subsequent to them.

In all honesty is Rick Nash really that big of a prize? Good player sure but in the history of Number 1 picks I don't think he would rank all that high - a good example of being the best of a bad lot ? - and if (I am not making a statement here) Yakupov is in a Nash range of impact then I think you have to atleast consider your options.
Unless you're trading 1 for 1 and acquiring an established, better player, it's a bad move.

As I've said before, the teams who end sup with the best player of the deal, wins the deal.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think he can be our 50 goal guy, Eberle and Hall are good for 35-40 and Hopkins 25-30. If we can find a way to spread that over three lines...

Old
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Unless you're trading 1 for 1 and acquiring an established, better player, it's a bad move.

As I've said before, the teams who end sup with the best player of the deal, wins the deal.
Have to agree with this, it's too bad he's a left handed shot because RNH feeding him at the point on the PP would be scary.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Which is always a difficult discussion when dealing with people that value picks and prospects more than actual players and needs.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Yakupov > Gardiner, Galchenyuk like: Hall > Gudbranson, Weiss or RNH > Huberdeau, Petrovic

Quality > Quantity

Old
04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
If anything, this guy will have the most spirited goal celebrations on the team

Gene is gonna have so much fun with this kid

Old
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I personally thought when I saw this guy at last year's draft, as a 16 year old putting up 100+ points in the OHL, he was going to be even better than Taylor Hall and I stand by that. I think Hall is a great player with loads of potential, but I seriously see a 50 goal guy in Yakupov, where I don't in Hall.
I agree. Shot is a laser, completely accurate, a canon and he gets it away fast.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Nail Yakupov...

Hails from the Republic of Tatarstan and is a muslim by faith.

Tatarstan is like the Quebec of Russia. Part of the country but not really.

As a player he is a hybrid or Bure and Ovechkin.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:11 AM
oilersrule14

Lots of talk about Yakupov being a prolific goal scorer, better than Hall or Eberle. My question is why? At the same age, Taylor Hall put up the same sort of goal numbers as Yakupov did. Eberle put up better goal numbers in his 19 year old season. I've only really seen highlights of Yakupov, and he's obviously got a great shot and one-timer. But how about the hockey smarts, garbage goals, cycling, and other things that help get you goals in the NHL? Those things aren't really shown in the highlights so that's a question for those who've seen him more. The fact that Hall and Yakupov put up the same sort of goal numbers makes me think that although Yakupov might be a better 'one shot' scorer, that Hall might be better at getting those greasy garbage goals or might identify and get to those goal scoring areas better. So is there a part of Yakupov's game not seen in the highlights that makes you think he'll put up more goals in the NHL than Hall or Eberle?

Old
04-11-2012, 11:21 AM
AUAIOMRN

When he goes into slump we can call him Snail Slackinoff.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
When he goes into slump we can call him Snail Slackinoff.
nah... Nail Horcoff

Closed Thread