HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
The defence last season wasn't even that bad. They were what, 20th in goals against? And that will get better as guys like Smid and Petry develop, and as the forwards become more defensively responsible. The Oilers' problem last year was the inability to fight through adversity and get back into games. They also had only one line scoring for the majority of games.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Im obviously in favor of drafting Yakupov but I'll play devils advocate for a second here. Lets suppose we do draft Yakupov and our defence turns out to suck almost as bad as it did last year. Our team is now good enough offensively to take us outside the top 10 of the draft on a consistent basis but we are still not good enough to make the playoffs/ do damage in the playoffs. We now have to wait another 5 years and wait for a dman that we draft to develop and make an impact. By that time we could be losing a guy like Eberle to free agency. After all, he wants to be on a winning team. Is this our last chance to add a legit blueliner that we can build our defence around?

I still think we can pull a Carlson or Karlsson out of our ass in the later part of the first round but it's at least something we should consider. I know it's suggested that we could just trade one of the big 4 but I really don't know if we can make it to the Stanley cup finals without that stud defenceman to rely on. St.Louis has Pietrangelo, Nashville has Suter and Weber, Los Angeles has Doughty, Phoenix has Yandle and OEL, Ottawa has Karlsson, New Jersey has Larsson, Boston has Chara and really only Philly is lacking that stud (albeit they let in like 7 goals a game). Are we going to play Philly style and score 9 goals a game?
Philly model seems to be OK to me, lol.

But we already have Smid and Petry here. And Klefbom coming soon too. That's three parts of a pretty strong top 4.

Seriously though they used to say the 80s Oilers couldn't win a Cup either because they were all-offence. 5 Cups later ...

Part of pro sports is that every once in a while there is a team that shows up and rewrites rules, maybe the Oilers shouldn't be so quick to discount themselves as a rule changing team.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
The defence last season wasn't even that bad. They were what, 20th in goals against? And that will get better as guys like Smid and Petry develop, and as the forwards become more defensively responsible. The Oilers' problem last year was the inability to fight through adversity and get back into games. They also had only one line scoring for the majority of games.
Pretty much I agree. Me personally... And let me preface this by saying I do recognize how important it is to have a good D corps, to have depth on the blueline... But I believe the most important thing is to have scoring depth, that's what I want the Oilers to have. Surround these stars with strong two way players and some grit in your forward ranks. The Oilers as of right now have one legit scoring line with a bunch of lousy vets and several middling prospects in early development stages. IMO the more scoring, the more firepower the better.

My main concern is goaltending. I'm still not convinced Dubnyk will be a legit starter. Both starter and back up are question marks for Edmonton moving forward. They have to get that figured out. Defence, with a little tinkering here and there, some patience, things will sort themselves out. Petry, Whitney and Smid can all move the puck and make a good first pass out of the zone.

Long story short... Draft Yakupov!

Old
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
doubledown99

Redline just posted their latest article on the draft. Woodlief says it's Yakupov and then big dropoff:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/54474130/1

The decision is easy. Draft Yakupov and enjoy. Let's not overcomplicate something so simple.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Redline just posted their latest article on the draft. Woodlief says it's Yakupov and then big dropoff:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/54474130/1

The decision is easy. Draft Yakupov and enjoy. Let's not overcomplicate something so simple.
Agreed completely, even though the "Taylor/Tyler" speculation is fun, it builds divisiveness. If he's the best player, take the best player and laugh all the way home.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I'm still pi$$ed of at how tambellini was all phsyched about how he could now control the draft and come home with a "package" of players..

Can't stand that guy, and until he drafts yakupov I will be very angry with him.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I'm still pi$$ed of at how tambellini was all phsyched about how he could now control the draft and come home with a "package" of players..

Can't stand that guy, and until he drafts yakupov I will be very angry with him.
lol nothing beats going at it from a measured and logical prospective.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post

What?.... I hope they trade it honestly. They could get a sick package. Trade down and take Reinhart

Old
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
What?.... I hope they trade it honestly. They could get a sick package. Trade down and take Reinhart
Knowing Tambellini, he'll probably trade it for something stupid like Luke Schenn+5th overall

Old
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Knowing Tambellini, he'll probably trade it for something stupid like Luke Schenn+5th overall
When has he ever made a trade like that? Talk about revisionist history or just straight up hysteria.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niet View Post
When has he ever made a trade like that? Talk about revisionist history or just straight up hysteria.
He hasn't made a trade like that per say, but he has made a number of questionable transactions.

Erik Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second round pick which we gave up for Ales Kotalik
Lubomir Visnovsky for Ryan Whitney
Nikolai Khabibulin for 3.75 mil/year, 4 years

Old
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
He hasn't made a trade like that per say, but he has made a number of questionable transactions.

Erik Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second round pick which we gave up for Ales Kotalik

Hindsight is a truly funny thing.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

What does has to do with Drafting Yakupov?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

To this day, I'm still happy we traded for Whitney. And the Khabi signing wasn't that bad. It gave us a guy to buy time for Dubnyk. So one screw up with an asset which at the time made sense and didn't really harm us at all versus a plethora of trades we've won...

Old
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Hindsight is a truly funny thing.
Vishnovsky trade was bad at the time. Bulin Wall was bad at the time. Hindsight only applies to POS because people were generally excited to see what he could do

Old
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah because very GM is perfect, right?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Arpeggio

I thought Visnovsky didn't want to be here? And the Kotalik deal nearly got the Oilers into the playoffs that year. I deal second round picks for a chance to get in the playoffs ten out of ten times.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Baggers

Visnovsky wanted out, and the whole team knew it.

Given that state of affairs, Whitney wasn't a bad return.

Cole for POS was a bad move, but let's not forget that Cole had the worst year of his career playing for the Oilers.

Khabibulin was a dumb signing, but he had just come off winning the Stanley Cup Finals.

Tambellini's MO isn't really to make bad moves, it's to make very few moves, and given the rebuilding status of this club that isn't a bad thing (yet).

Old
04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
TowMater14

Did anyone listen to Stu Mac on Oilers lunch today? I didn't hear it, but when Bob was recapping the conversation he said that Stu said that Yakupov was not the sure #1 like many people think. Why are we hearing such conflicting things from every scouting company and our staff?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Did anyone listen to Stu Mac on Oilers lunch today? I didn't hear it, but when Bob was recapping the conversation he said that Stu said that Yakupov was not the sure #1 like many people think. Why are we hearing such conflicting things from every scouting company and our staff?
Yikes, that's scary.

Could this be the summer that Stu MacGregor takes some heat opposed to Tambellini?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
They're either preparing us for not getting Yakupov (trading the pick or drafting someone else), or they're just misdirecting to see what other teams would trade for Yakupov.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Probably just keeping the cards close...

Old
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
worraps
Acceptance

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254

He just said that it wasn't as steep a drop off from Yakupov as people are reporting.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yikes, that's scary.

Could this be the summer that Stu MacGregor takes some heat opposed to Tambellini?
If we don't take Yakupov and he does end up drastically better like everyone thinks, its going to nullify all the good picks he's made

Old
04-23-2012, 03:14 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
FWIW, he said the same thing the last 2 seasons when in reality, he was pretty zoned in on Hall and RNH. Head scouts rarely come straight out and admit that they like one player over the other, it's usually the same old tired cliches.
We're exploring all options, we'll draft the best player that fits our team, every player has whatever strengths and whatever weaknesses etc. so I wouldn't jump off of a cliff based on what he said about this draft. He's just putting on his poker face IMO.

Closed Thread