HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Vishnovsky trade was bad at the time. Bulin Wall was bad at the time. Hindsight only applies to POS because people were generally excited to see what he could do
Didn't Vishnovky ask for a trade?

Old
04-23-2012, 05:12 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
I am so nervous that we'll trade it or take someone else. I can't wait for this draft to be over with.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Meanashell11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
FWIW, he said the same thing the last 2 seasons when in reality, he was pretty zoned in on Hall and RNH. Head scouts rarely come straight out and admit that they like one player over the other, it's usually the same old tired cliches.
We're exploring all options, we'll draft the best player that fits our team, every player has whatever strengths and whatever weaknesses etc. so I wouldn't jump off of a cliff based on what he said about this draft. He's just putting on his poker face IMO.
You are forgeting this is the Oilers board. Go away for an hour and come back to this thread and there will be 10 more pages of fire Stu, management of this team doesn't communicate and it's MacT's fault!

One misquote and the pitch forks, tar and feathers come out.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I am so nervous that we'll trade it or take someone else. I can't wait for this draft to be over with.
Same here. I'm sure even if we do end up moving it we will all be pleased with the deal, but there's going to be a few months of expecting the worst

Old
04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Yakupov had over 100 points the year prior to his draft year..
Hall and RNH can't make that claim.
Murray, Dumba, Reinhart or Rielly all have decent stats but don't compare what Drew Doughty had in junior..
I'm not sure what BigMac is smoking but seriously pick yakupov..or I will also be very angry at him as well.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Me too. I'm hoping all of Tambellini's talk about being open for business with regards to the pick was just to get other GM's talking to him so maybe he could flush out options for acquiring a defenseman. Although maybe that's giving Tambo too much credit.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Me too. I'm hoping all of Tambellini's talk about being open for business with regards to the pick was just to get other GM's talking to him so maybe he could flush out options for acquiring a defenseman. Although maybe that's giving Tambo too much credit.
Dude..no..just no..
Tambs dont think like that.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
rosemount289

Have to Agree..........?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
FWIW, he said the same thing the last 2 seasons when in reality, he was pretty zoned in on Hall and RNH. Head scouts rarely come straight out and admit that they like one player over the other, it's usually the same old tired cliches.
We're exploring all options, we'll draft the best player that fits our team, every player has whatever strengths and whatever weaknesses etc. so I wouldn't jump off of a cliff based on what he said about this draft. He's just putting on his poker face IMO.
Have to agree with the assessement..........Like Stu says they control the draft and if you over-hype a player you could be end for a big let down......but in the end....Stu will pick the BPA...........which will be Nail Yakupov........bet on it!!!

Old
04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Murray, Dumba, Reinhart or Rielly all have decent stats but don't compare what Drew Doughty had in junior..
I'm not sure what BigMac is smoking but seriously pick yakupov..or I will also be very angry at him as well.
RNH did have over 100 points IN his draft year though, something Yakupov didn't do. He also did it playing with a mediocre supporting cast on a defensive minded team, something that's been pointed out a number of times mind you.

And yes I know Yakupov missed a large number of games this year, and if they do trade the pick I'll be pretty pissed unless it's a big overpay.

I've got my buddy's wedding rehearsal dinner the night of the draft though so if they do trade the pick at least my TV will be safe (my phone, maybe not so much).

Old
04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
RNH did have over 100 points IN his draft year though, something Yakupov didn't do. He also did it playing with a mediocre supporting cast on a defensive minded team, something that's been pointed out a number of times mind you.

And yes I know Yakupov missed a large number of games this year, and if they do trade the pick I'll be pretty pissed unless it's a big overpay.

I've got my buddy's wedding rehearsal dinner the night of the draft though so if they do trade the pick at least my TV will be safe (my phone, maybe not so much).
Look at the games played dude

Old
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
You can listen to the interview here: http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254

He just said that it wasn't as steep a drop off from Yakupov as people are reporting.
He also said, you win cups with great forwards.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Hall has 83 more OHL play-offs/Memorial Cup points than Yakupov.

Just sayin'.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Toydarian

I'm not worried about the Oilers trading the pick, but only because I really don't believe it will happen.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Soundwave

The interview with Stu is actually reassuring me that Yakupov is the pick.

He says you need "great" players upfront to be able to win in the playoffs, meaning the highest end talent. And he did say they wouldn't have qualms about taking Yakupov despite position. Feels they have a lot of great d-men coming on up in the system.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
He hasn't made a trade like that per say, but he has made a number of questionable transactions.

Erik Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan and a second round pick which we gave up for Ales Kotalik
Lubomir Visnovsky for Ryan Whitney
Nikolai Khabibulin for 3.75 mil/year, 4 years
Visnovsky wanted out, Whitney got hurt, not the GM's bad on that one

Without Nikolai we wouldn't have Hall or Nuge and now the opportunity to take 1st overall for a third time consecutively, while painful to watch for the last few years this deal has done more to set us up for the future than any other signing made by this club since Chris Pronger.

POS and Kotalik were both huge disappointments, O'Sullivans initials should have been warning enough

as for not making moves for the sake of looking busy, I'm pretty stoked about our future, time to stop fretting about the past.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

For Stu to even suggest that there is a drop off pretty much solidifies who the Oilers will select come june if they walk up to the podium.

Trading the pick is unlikely at best, and the head scout just said Yakupov is the best player in the draft, nothing to see here until june by the looks of it.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The interview with Stu is actually reassuring me that Yakupov is the pick.

He says you need "great" players upfront to be able to win in the playoffs, meaning the highest end talent. And he did say they wouldn't have qualms about taking Yakupov despite position. Feels they have a lot of great d-men coming on up in the system.
And he mentions Plante in that list..... I don't think so Tim.

04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Alex Plante was an AHL all-star this year. We've all written him off, but its possible that the organization still sees a player there.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Alex Plante was an AHL all-star this year. We've all written him off, but its possible that the organization still sees a player there.
He's waiver eligible next year, I don't see top 4 in him at all, if he's lucky he could be a 3rd pairing guy. The bottom line is that if we're talking about reasons why we don't need defensive help one of the last guys that I want to hear about is Plante.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

As much as I want Plante to succeed, I already feel Teubert is already ahead of him on the depth chart. Regardless of his AHL All-Star status, his lack of mobility in the NHL is scary to watch. If only his positional play was more sound, he would have been a capable option going forward even if it's a bottom pairing dMAN..

Old
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He said Plante as a disclaimer (even Plante might still be in the mix or to that effect).

I think he forgot to mention Teubert.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Saying publicly that the team would consider offers on first overall gives Tambellini an opportunity to see what other teams are willing to deal player/prospect and pick wise.

After talks begin and deals cannot be made for the "BIG" pieces the channels are open for making smaller deals for smaller pieces and prospects, of which we have an abundance.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:59 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Saying publicly that the team would consider offers on first overall gives Tambellini an opportunity to see what other teams are willing to deal player/prospect and pick wise.

After talks begin and deals cannot be made for the "BIG" pieces the channels are open for making smaller deals for smaller pieces and prospects, of which we have an abundance.
Right. Because no other team would make a call unless he said this on TSN. I guarantee you every other GM calls to ask what it would take to get the #1. If they didn't, it would mean they are not doing their job. Well, I'm sure Tambellini wouldn't.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Right. Because no other team would make a call unless he said this on TSN. I guarantee you every other GM calls to ask what it would take to get the #1. If they didn't, it would mean they are not doing their job. Well, I'm sure Tambellini wouldn't.
Well conversely, laughing manically and saying that there was no way in hell he was trading the pick would fall into the same category of ineptitude of which you speak.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

With forward talent piling up in Edmonton, it seems we have too many people vying for a top six RW position.

LW Center RW
Taylor Hall (L) RNH (L) Eberle (R)
Magnus Paajarvi (L) Gagner (R) Hemsky (R)
Yakupov (L)

My question is who is best suited to change position? As a left handed RW is Yakupov able to play LW? Does he have experience on the LW?

Closed Thread