HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

maybe the 3 fastest skaters in the league on our team?

Old
04-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
maybe the 3 fastest skaters in the league on our team?

Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin. If those aren't the 3 fastest guys in the NHL, then they are certainly 3 of the top 10 fastest guys. It's amazing how a team can change so rapidly. We started off the season as a team capable of only doing 1 thing, cycling the puck, grinding it out, winning board battles, and wearing teams out.

Now, with the addition of Hagelin and Kreider the Rangers CAN, if need be, play a speed transition game, and have the passers (stepan and richards) to get those speedsters the puck.

Honestly, I can't wait till Jesper Fasth is here. You might have 4 of the top 5 fastest guys in the NHL on 1 team.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Honestly, I can't wait till Jesper Fasth is here.

.... and so it begins

04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
SnowblindNYR

The Rangers are still not a fast team. They're like a half court team in basketball. Methodical and force the other team to play the game at their pace.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The Rangers are still not a fast team. They're like a half court team in basketball. Methodical and force the other team to play the game at their pace.
The first part is wrong, they ARE a fast team. The second part is correct, they do not play a speed game, they play a possession, grinding style still. Beyond the three very fast guys, you have speed on defense in McD, DZ, and Erixon will bring even more. Dubi and Cally are both deceptively quick even though neither have a pretty stride like the three guys originally named. Pruster is incredibly fast for a mucker. Even Boyle has gotten a longer stride these days though it takes him a year and three quarters to get off the line. The team is fast, and they play a grinding style, BUT have the ability to flip the switch and play a different style which is invaluable.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
The first part is wrong, they ARE a fast team. The second part is correct, they do not play a speed game, they play a possession, grinding style still. Beyond the three very fast guys, you have speed on defense in McD, DZ, and Erixon will bring even more. Dubi and Cally are both deceptively quick even though neither have a pretty stride like the three guys originally named. Pruster is incredibly fast for a mucker. Even Boyle has gotten a longer stride these days though it takes him a year and three quarters to get off the line. The team is fast, and they play a grinding style, BUT have the ability to flip the switch and play a different style which is invaluable.
I agree with most of this except MDZ. His footspeed, while no longer (I feel) a weakness, it isn't exactly a strength either. He has simply average speed.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
.... and so it begins

How long until people start accusing him of wanting to sign with his hometown NHL team ?

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I agree with most of this except MDZ. His footspeed, while no longer (I feel) a weakness, it isn't exactly a strength either. He has simply average speed.
He moves well with the puck, though. Kind of removes some of the speed requirement

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:07 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

3, 2, 1 GGGOOO

Itīs almost scary how fast Kreider is in this video

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Poozer

I know how everyone always is talking about Gaborik being one of the fastest skaters in the league, but I just don't see it. He accelerates quickly, but his top speed doesn't seem to be all that fast to me. There have been multiple times this season he's had an opportunity to win a foot race and has not done so. The above link is a set play, so the D was just caught flat footed, he's certainly not flying when he gets to the puck.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Itīs almost scary how fast Kreider is in this video
That's because that video is misleading. The choppiness makes him look quicker than he really was there. Go find a better quality one of that play and you'll see what I'm talking about

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
I know how everyone always is talking about Gaborik being one of the fastest skaters in the league, but I just don't see it. He accelerates quickly, but his top speed doesn't seem to be all that fast to me. There have been multiple times this season he's had an opportunity to win a foot race and has not done so. The above link is a set play, so the D was just caught flat footed, he's certainly not flying when he gets to the puck.
Pretty sure the players rated him as the best skater in the NHL one or two seasons ago. He might not be the fastest, but he's close. Acceleration is what matters most anyway... that's what ultimately separates you from d-men. Top speed is nice, but it's not nearly as important

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

3 of the fastest perhaps, but there are some other guys in this league that can fly. Grabner and Chimera both have insane wheels and I'd put them close to the top. Dupuis' speed is underrated as well.

I'd also agree that since his surgery, Gaborik's top-end speed has diminished.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I have only seen Fasth play twice, but he is damn fast as well.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
How long until people start accusing him of wanting to sign with his hometown NHL team ?
Sweden has a NHL team ?

I wouldn't call the Rangers a fast team. I remember Toronto burning us earlier in the season with their speed so while we might be a team WITH speed; some speed, we aren't a fast team. We try to get the other team to our pace and then use that explosive speed to gain the advantage while their skaters are more flat-footed; occasionally at that.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Gaborik, Kreider, Hagelin. If those aren't the 3 fastest guys in the NHL, then they are certainly 3 of the top 10 fastest guys. It's amazing how a team can change so rapidly. We started off the season as a team capable of only doing 1 thing, cycling the puck, grinding it out, winning board battles, and wearing teams out.

Now, with the addition of Hagelin and Kreider the Rangers CAN, if need be, play a speed transition game, and have the passers (stepan and richards) to get those speedsters the puck.

Honestly, I can't wait till Jesper Fasth is here. You might have 4 of the top 5 fastest guys in the NHL on 1 team.
Kreider hasnt even played an NHL game yet..I understand he is fast but lets see the transition from College to the NHL before you put him as one of the fastest in the NHL...

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mug25

Lot of good that speed did against the Pens the last few times we played them. Rangers looked like they were in slow-motion compared to the entire pens team.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Edge

Sounds like the makings for a fun charity event.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Sweden has a NHL team ?

I wouldn't call the Rangers a fast team. I remember Toronto burning us earlier in the season with their speed so while we might be a team WITH speed; some speed, we aren't a fast team. We try to get the other team to our pace and then use that explosive speed to gain the advantage while their skaters are more flat-footed; occasionally at that.
It is only fair to point out that adding Hagelin to the top line and all of those minutes and putting Fedo (one of the slowest skaters in the league) down to the #4 line is a HUGE upgrade since that time in overall foot speed. And what the Leafs lack in talent they make up in footspeed. They are one of the fastest teams in the league.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Sweden has a NHL team ?

Well, Phoenix might be moving :O

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
MSG the place to be*

Gaborik doesn't have functional speed unless you are asking him to chase down a puck in the neutral zone behind a stationary dman

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Gaborik doesn't have functional speed unless you are asking him to chase down a puck in the neutral zone behind a stationary dman
And there you are! Like clockwork!

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
MessierIsGod

I can think of 2 that are easily faster: stamkos and seguin...

let's not get carried away

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Jersey Girl

Three of the fastest? Perhaps.

The three fastest? There are many fast players throught the league who most are either not familiar with, or because they see them play so rarely do not realize how fast they are.

Wanna find out who they are? Post this on the main board.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
lol'd

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
haha oh god

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote