HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

His message is out there: "GET BIGGER"

Old
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Rinzler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
he was catering to his buddy Wilson who he should have fired 2 years ago

Chi has a few players I'd like to see Burke go after
Beach, Bickell, Saad

would love to see a future 3rd line of

Beach/Colborne/Ashton
I'd rather we have Ross on that line. We should be looking at what we have rather what other teams have. I guarantee if we had a Ross type personality, our bouts with Boston would have looked very different.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:59 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I'd rather we have Ross on that line. We should be looking at what we have rather what other teams have. I guarantee if we had a Ross type personality, our bouts with Boston would have looked very different.
Agreed, part of building a team is having open spots on your roster for home gown talent.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

You don't need to be a big team to be a contender for the cup.

Philly
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Detroit

All teams who are not exactly huge and do just fine

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
This team needs guys that are skilled and tough like Kadri and Grabo who can take a hit and jump right back up BUT this team also needs players than can impose their will upon the opposition and throw some bodies around as well. We don't have players who can do that. We have too many players who do not do either.
I'd imaging the Devils could get a nice return for Clarkson during the offseason with his value being so high, he would probably cost Burke an arm and a leg but he would be a perfect fit

MountainGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

I respect your dedication to Kadri. I'm not saying he is a terrible player. He's skilled and will play in the NHL.

I'm sorry though. You've got to strip his jr. days out of your memory. He's no longer amongst 16 year olds. You cannot put him in any discussion about size, toughness, "nasty", and intimidation. Have you seen him? He's in danger of getting his clock cleaned by the equipment manager, let alone anyone else in the NHL that he thinks he's going to "get nasty on".

He might make sense in our top 6 but that just adds more pressure to ship out other guys.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Mac Grabo Kuli

If you add Kadri to that you're looking at removing: Grabo, Kuli, Mac, or Bozak. How do you figure we get bigger and better (we are lousy 13th place team) with this bunch? Someone has to go.

Also you can't count on other teams wanting our rubbish. We will be lucky if Burke can get rid of half the LACK bunch.

If your favorite Leaf forward is under 6'2" you can kiss them goodbye.

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 04-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.
ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

Well, it was glaringly obvious we were going to get more truculent now that RC and BB share the same philosophies, while RW was a speedy run and gun/turn the other cheek guy, so Burke had to give him a chance to work with finesse guys and now that Carlyle's here, he's back onto the same page. The fact that we have guys like Ross, Broll, and Biggs definitely help speed that process along for the future.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

One of the biggest problems was the 3rd line. Was useless on most nights. Keep Brown there, add 2 pieces that will be much better there.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:45 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

Philly
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Detroit

Laugh out loud.

You're right. They're all small nice guys who play for these teams.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Stephen

Burke just needs to make sure the players he brings in will play the roles expected of them. I'm not sure how his brand of truculence somehow turned into a Matt Stajan/Jason Blake cloning program. Lombardi, MacArthur, Bozak, Connolly are all fast, weak or small and inconsistent offensively. I'd keep Bozak but the rest should go. Armstrong and Crabb aren't great either. I'm a bit sick of Kulemin but he deserves another audition.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
He said more than 'we need to get bigger' and you heard it.

Didn't he mention his building blocks? I'm surprised no one started a thread on that. He basically named the ones he's keeping moving forward and that included the entire 2nd line. obviously if a great trade shows up he'll move them. It also included Dion, Lupul, Kessel, maybe gardiner. Just going from memory here.

What I heard was more 'we need to get tougher' rather than just bigger. You can be big and soft. He thought the Bruins games were embarrassing (who would disagree?)

I for one, welcome any changes he can make to address the toughness issue, i don't care about the 'bigness'.
Getting bigger/tougher?

That's exactly the same mission statement he gave 3.5 years ago.

Is he Rip van Winkle?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Do you see folks!?

I told you that Burke's Colton Orr rant was directed at Ron Wilson.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Or "We need to get bigger".

It's clear that RC and BB ARE on the same page. What does that mean? Those little skilled guys that you revere so much will be traded this summer.

Who's got size in our top 6?
Answer: No one.

You heard him we need minimum 4 players to "dictate and not be dictated to."

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Mac Grabo Kuli
Connolly Steckel Frattin
Brown Lombo Crabb
Armstrong

Gunn Dion
Gardiner Schenn
Liles Franson
Komi

You can say goodbye to Kadri for starters. Bozak could fetch something and so can Frattin. Grabo's contract and skills could fetch some toughness and a 20 goal scorer. Mac is attractive to a lot of teams, but his contract is great for us. Kuli is not tough at all and we could get someone similar but with less offensive upside.

Looks like the trades are going to be frequent this summer.

One more thing. Burke answered the media yesterday:"what went wrong?" his answer: "we don't have the right personnel to win".
Kadri has some bite to his game, he's mean too, I think it would be a mistake to move him ahead of Grabo, Bozak and or Lombardi.

I would love to move any of the latter this offseason, Burke has been preaching this get bigger/meaner angle since he got here. Maybe now with Carlyle here to enforce this, and not Wilson. It will be done.

Would be estastic if some of the old guard were dispatched, but not Kadri.

Grabo can be moved prior to July 1, so there is a window. If Burke is true to his word, then Galchenyuk fans won't be pleased. Not drafting him, however with Burke with the Leafs, he has been somewhat of a contradiction. Hope that ends this summer.

We need to get bigger and tougher to play against, enough of players making figure 8's out there, more straight lines would be a welcome change.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
bbgobie

What happens if Vancouver wins it this year? than do all teams need to get more skilled? Is that the way to win?

If Van won game 7 last year, would everyone on HF be saying thats how to build a team?

What good does big do if the other team is skating circles around you? Remember the Antropov/Sundin/Poni line? Should we bring that back?

People who say we need to build like Boston are just glorified band wagon jumpers. That's one way to win it, they won, congratulations, to say it's the only way or they dominated is a stretch. Truth is Montreal and Van both could've easily knocked them out with a good bounce.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgobie View Post
What happens if Vancouver wins it this year? than do all teams need to get more skilled? Is that the way to win?

If Van won game 7 last year, would everyone on HF be saying thats how to build a team?

What good does big do if the other team is skating circles around you? Remember the Antropov/Sundin/Poni line? Should we bring that back?

People who say we need to build like Boston are just glorified band wagon jumpers. That's one way to win it, they won, congratulations, to say it's the only way or they dominated is a stretch. Truth is Montreal and Van both could've easily knocked them out with a good bounce.
Come on. Where were you this season? Didn't you notice that this bunch of players placed 13th in the league? So we just keep everyone to satisfy your fandom?

Old
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
JackJ

What a load of crap.

Why keep Wilson for the last three years if his philosophy was the complete opposite?
Why are we building a team around a coach vs bringing in a coach that fits the teams philosophy?

Gave Burke the benefit of the doubt for the first three years but now I'm eagerly awaiting his dismissal and hoping he doesn't decimate the youth we've built to justify his ass backwards plan.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

Philly
Vancouver
Pittsburgh
Detroit

I suggest you scan Philly's team again(especially the injured reserve). Just because Giroux and Briere are small doesn't mean they are a small team.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Interactif

Quote:

We tried figure 8's since the Bay St Bullies days, missed the playoffs each year. Time to change directions instead of doing the insane of drafting or trading for more figure 8 players. Back to Leafs hockey, and what was promised to us by Burke 4 years ago.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
BraveCanadian

Oh so the team needs to be bigger and more truculent?

Glad we have that sorted out now finally.. hey wait a second!

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
Burke thinks he's gonna get other GMs to take the trash he's accumulated over the last few years (LACK) and he's gonna get quality toughness in return? With almost no cap space?

LOLZ
heheheee...so true. Not sure what the Leafs have to offer in trades that other teams realistically want unless its players that the Burkeman will have a hard time dealing. Guys like Gardiner, Kadri, Franson, Schenn, Lupul, Kessel.....I'm pretty sure those are the most asked for players from the Leafs system...especially if they are hoping to land a top tier player....Nobody is going to give up skilled players for the overpaid stiffs or the Joey Crabbs of the world.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Funny how so many people remember every tiny detail from the past and every little transaction or quote from Burke. Yet still suggest he can not dispose of bad contracts! Selective memory I guess! Seems we were in a even tougher spot not too long ago with even worse contracts and somehow all of those were dealt with!!
How were those contracts dealt with?

By exchanging them for larger overpaid contracts. Terrible idea.

That why I'm convinced he'll pull the trigger on the Nash deal which handcuffs this team even further.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Barilko14

Quote:

People aren't saying Boston model is the only way to win. It's just the style most prefer, and the exact style Burke says he wants (he's yet to deliver).

To come on here and preach that's not the way, when you know Burke is at the helm is pretty pointless.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

me thinks that his plan doesn't work and we have to restart all over again. Kind of like the Blue Jays and Oilers (not to that extent however). At least we have pieces we can move forward with.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Bigger is just part of the ideal hockey player.

I always thought of an ideal hockey player like Barbie, just not humanly possible. The ideal hockey player is big, fast, hard hitting, can score, backchecks hard and is captain material.

Find me one player who is all of those qualities. I feel that leaf fans focus too much on the big part because that is the thing we are most lacking.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
pspot

as long as bigger doesn't mean big and dumb
I don't mind a physical big type of player but they need to be able to play hockey and have a head on their shoulders.

No more Komisareks

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
People aren't saying Boston model is the only way to win. It's just the style most prefer, and the exact style Burke says he wants (he's yet to deliver).

To come on here and preach that's not the way, when you know Burke is at the helm is pretty pointless.
This is even before my time, but Leafs under Imlach and Smythe coined the saying, "if you can't beat them in the alley you can't beat them on the ice".

Not necessarily fighting, but you need players that want to get their jersey's dirty. We have too many soft players in this lineup, as Burke said the wrong personnel. Winning hockey games is not about scoring the prettiest goals, it often revolves around subtle moves. Majority of Crosby's goals are not highlight goals, people want flash, I prefer efficient substance in a player.