plus, all those intangibles, man

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Bruinsgotcup2011
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinsgotcup2011
That remains to be seen. Last year was the ultimate reward for being a fan.

Bruinsgotcup2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
I like this team going into the playoffs--these are definitely guys you want to go to war with.

The one place I'm genuinely concerned is missing Horton. Guys with his package of size and game breaking ability are awfully hard to find. The Bruins will miss him.

gorskic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Soderberg

I think Timmy was better last year.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
I think Timmy was better last year.
I think defense was better in front of Timmy last year...although I'm not so sure once Corvo goes to the press box. ;-)

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
TCL40

I think this team is pretty good. I actually like the defensive depth-the roster hasn't changed tons on defense, but the depth is better.

Seguin has certainly stepped it up this year, but for the playoffs other players are going to have to score because other teams will be looking to shut down Seguin.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think this team is pretty good. I actually like the defensive depth-the roster hasn't changed tons on defense, but the depth is better.

Seguin has certainly stepped it up this year, but for the playoffs other players are going to have to score because other teams will be looking to shut down Seguin.
Lucic-Krejci-Peverley need to step it up. I'm excited for a healthy playoff Lucic and playoff Krejci.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
EvilElf63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
plus, all those intangibles, man
Maybe the intangible of them not being so hungry will work against them? I hope not. I feel, right or wrong, that the biggest difference is not having Horty. I hope that we have enough depth for that not to matter.

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Bruins Atmosphere

Playoff experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post
Maybe the intangible of them not being so hungry will work against them? I hope not. I feel, right or wrong, that the biggest difference is not having Horty. I hope that we have enough depth for that not to matter.
This team is now loaded with Playoff experience, and Stanley Cup experience. Almost all these guys we're here last year, and I don't think they wanna go thru 25 games again. During this last week we had a chance to rest the major players for our Cup run. So important to be 100%
The depth this team added is just a bonus. As long as Rolston, Pouliot, and Kelly keep working well together.... we can go all the way again.
For the ones worried about Thomas... don't. He set records last year in the Playoffs, so we can't expect better. But what we can expect is better Defense with Zanon joining the core. He's like another Seidenberg...WHAT A GIFT!!
I really hope we don't need Thornton to start fights to get our toughness going. If our 6 D-Men bring it from Game 1... we'll go along way.
I'm not saying we're head and shoulders above the rest... but we're right there with them. Just honest efforts from everyone will bring us a long way.

Bruins Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:21 PM
gillesgilbert

I think Thomas will be fine.Horton's absence and the play of our 3rd line is what concerns me in the playoffs. The 3rd line is playing well but Peverley-Kelly -Ryder were a great 3rd line last year.Peverley just doesn't seem to be the same player when he plays with Krejci on the 1st line.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM
TCL40

Quote:
But what we can expect is better Defense with Zanon joining the core. He's like another Seidenberg...WHAT A GIFT!!
And he looks hungry. He seems to be thrilled to be going into the playoffs with Boston.

I sometimes think have a few hungry guys may spur the hunger. Also, this is generally a team that doesn't like being told they can't do something.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
z06bruins

im very excited to see Benny and Roslton, good feeling about them!!

z06bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElf63 View Post
Oh you talked to them and they said that? Bummer. Hey next time you hang out with the whole team would you be able to get some autographs for me? That'd be swell

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Oh you talked to them and they said that? Bummer. Hey next time you hang out with the whole team would you be able to get some autographs for me? That'd be swell
How did you get to that out of what you quoted?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

If Horton were healthy I would say that they absolutely are.

Right now it depends on guys like Pouliot, Rolston and maybe even Caron--as well as Seguin's consistency in the playoff atmosphere.

They are faster this year, as well. Seguin over Recchi is big upgrade in this department. Pouliot over Ryder is a big speed upgrade as well.

Recchi's leadership was quite useful, but now there are 20 cup winners in the room rather than two--so that helps.

Zanon means each defenseman can and should cross the 15m per game mark. That didn't happen last year because of the limited mins for Kaberle.

Ryder was an x factor in at least one series. Someone of Pouliot, Rolston or Caron probably needs to have a few moments where they get the team over the hump the way Ryder did. This could be a career defining playoffs for a guy like Pouliot.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
I think Thomas will be fine.Horton's absence and the play of our 3rd line is what concerns me in the playoffs. The 3rd line is playing well but Peverley-Kelly -Ryder were a great 3rd line last year.Peverley just doesn't seem to be the same player when he plays with Krejci on the 1st line.
I'm still a little more worried about Thomas than Horton.

The team has been playing without Horton for some time now and they know he's not going to be there. Similar to Savard last year.

Also, the B's did win 4 out of 5 in the finals without Horton last year.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Lshap

As a non-Bruins fan, I see your offense as almost as strong as last year. Seguin is supremely talented and showed he can step up in the playoffs last year. Yes, Ryder and Recchi are big losses, but your other young guys like Lucic and Marchand have an extra year of experience behind them. Pouliot could be a big x-factor, either by exploding on offense or becoming a penalty liability.

I think your biggest problems may be on goal-prevention. Thomas doesn't look quite as strong as last year, and even Chara has looked tired at times, plus Boychuk may not be 100%. Sure, it's very possible they'll get their groove back, but Thomas and possibly Chara may have passed their tipping point. I guess we'll see, as Washington's offense will put your D to the test. Another potential problem is the league has become much more familiar with Boston's style of play and has adapted to counter your strengths. And of course, injuries have shaved off some of your depth, which was so important last year.

Honestly, I'll be following the Boston series as a Habs fan rooting against you, but for what it's worth, I'm glad Boston's still among the top contenders. It wouldn't be the playoffs without you guys! Make it entertaining!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Another potential problem is the league has become much more familiar with Boston's style of play and has adapted to counter your strengths.
if by "the league" you mean the front office in Toronto and the Refs then you're right.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The leash should be a little looser in the playoffs, which ought to help.

It should also help that while OV is a superstar and should be getting some BS favorite calls, he's also supposed to be a big hard-hitting guy himself, so that ought to be abated a little.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
if by "the league" you mean the front office in Toronto and the Refs then you're right.
Definitely. Whatever you and I might think of it, it's safe to say the playoffs won't be officiated the same or look the same as last year. Less upper body hits, more attempted hipchecks and (unfortunately) knee-on-knee sneak attacks. Hits aren't disappearing, they're just migrating south.

Of course, Philly and Pittsburgh's all-out nuclear war may make Boston's series look like a chess match.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I don't see us as better this season than last.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Niz Bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I don't see us as better this season than last.
Joe Corvo does that.

We have more 20+ scorers than last year, but it does drop away quicker than last year. So we're more dependant on those 20+ players to perform.

I'd rate us on par with last years team really. People say we're missing Ryder, but they're looking at THIS years Ryder. If an 18g 40 point player is the difference between a playoff loss and a stanley cup, id be surprised. He always stepped up in the playoffs, but who's to say we wont have others who do the same this time around - Seguin is much more lethal than last year, Pouliot and Rolston are playoff unknowns. We could be surprised!

Im confident right now, we'll see if the confidence remains after a few games.

Niz Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niz Bruin View Post
Joe Corvo does that.

We have more 20+ scorers than last year, but it does drop away quicker than last year. So we're more dependant on those 20+ players to perform.

I'd rate us on par with last years team really. People say we're missing Ryder, but they're looking at THIS years Ryder. If an 18g 40 point player is the difference between a playoff loss and a stanley cup, id be surprised. He always stepped up in the playoffs, but who's to say we wont have others who do the same this time around - Seguin is much more lethal than last year, Pouliot and Rolston are playoff unknowns. We could be surprised!

Im confident right now, we'll see if the confidence remains after a few games.
Actually, it has nothing to do with Joe Corvo. I don't think he'll be in our top-6. And that makes our defense STRONGER than it was last season with Kaberle.

Seguin has never gone into a post-season as THE GUY on offense. Our third line is worse than it was last season. And we're out a Nathan Horton, which puts our "top line" in a heap of trouble.

Tim Thomas hasn't looked as strong this year... Which I believe is mainly due to his lack of confidence in his defense. And Rask is still hurt, leaving Khudobin as the guy if Timmy falters.

The one thing that could turn the tide, is Milan Lucic. He's healthy this year and has the ability to turn games in the Bruins favor when he's in playoff beast mode. The problem? He's up against a bigger big-game player in Ovechkin and may not be enough.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
The leash should be a little looser in the playoffs, which ought to help.

It should also help that while OV is a superstar and should be getting some BS favorite calls, he's also supposed to be a big hard-hitting guy himself, so that ought to be abated a little.
Yeah, Ovi is a completely different kettle of fish, officiating-wise, than the likes of Crosby. He has a rep and now a three-game suspension to go with it. I expect he'll be closely watched.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote