HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The difference between beating L.A. last year and losing this year

View Poll Results: Pick as many as you want
The Hawks out trained everyone during the lockout (conditioning and injury prevention) 8 8.51%
Q didn't make lineup adjustments early enough, mainly the 2nd line 34 36.17%
The Kings picked up a 40 goal scorer in Gaborik and the Hawks didn't pick up anyone 50 53.19%
Puck Luck 45 47.87%
Didn't take the Kings seriously this time 9 9.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The difference between beating L.A. last year and losing this year

You can pick as many of these as you want as it is a multiple choice poll.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Sarava

vCash: 500
You listed 5 reasons, and I think you somehow missed two bigger reasons:

1) The Kings are healthier this year
2) The Hawks bottom 6 was great last year - and this year it's depleted. So the Hawks are way too dependent on their stars compared to the 2 Cup years.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:05 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You listed 5 reasons, and I think you somehow missed two bigger reasons:

1) The Kings are healthier this year
2) The Hawks bottom 6 was great last year - and this year it's depleted. So the Hawks are way too dependent on their stars compared to the 2 Cup years.
I thought of the two and figured No. 1 fit with the training/injury prevention option and No. 2 fit with the Gaborik/no trades option.

Old
06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

You just made this poll to try to blame Bowman.

What was he supposed to do exactly with us up against the cap? Who was he reasonably going to move so he could bring in our own player with a 7.5m cap hit?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
You just made this poll to try to blame Bowman.

What was he supposed to do exactly with us up against the cap? Who was he reasonably going to move so he could bring in our own player with a 7.5m cap hit?
No, I didn't. On my reputation here ALONE, I expect no objectivity with regards to that option and I expect Puck Luck to finish 1st. These are all fair criticisms.

Old
06-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Sarava

Puck luck goes both ways.

Specifically regarding the lack of depth. Especailly when comparing to last year's squad - I think Dave Bolland and Michael Frolik being gone killed the Hawks in this series. The inability to shutdown Jeff Carter early in the series...and blowing leads constantly all point to that.

When I say that though - I'm not blaming Bowman. Some salary had to be moved last summer. It is what it is.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Your Reality Check

It's hard for me to vote. Puck luck is just dumb though and used as an excuse.

The Kings were the better team this time. I thought we'd beat these guys again but I was well aware that if they were a healthier team last season that the series would of gone past 5 games. This year they were healthy and added Gaborik and we had no answer for their offense. It felt like they could score any time they wanted to. We were really sloppy at times but that Kings forecheck is no joke.

It stings right now for sure because going back to back would of been awesome but you best believe that we're playin these guys again next year. The rubber match will be on. I'm looking forward to it.

For now I give the Kings a tip of the hat and wish them luck in the Finals. Nothing left to do now but ponder on what could of been and look forward to next season.

Your Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
These are two incredibly close teams right now in regards to talent level.

This year the Hawks were missing Bolland and Frolik. They were also a bit banged up this year compared to last year.

This year the Kings have Gaborik and Pearson, who have both shown up big in the playoffs. They are also much healthier than they were last year.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Fortyfives

I understand the desire to want to repeat in the organization and resign vets that won the cup, but I think it would have been much smarter to get the young guys ice team this year and have a full year of NHL experience.

Giving Q vets like Rosival and Zus is just a disaster waiting to happen. Everyone saw months ago they we're done and Q wouldn't do anything until it was almost over. At some point Boman will need to manage around Q.

There are three reasons the hawks made it as far as they did this year.

1) Crawford played terrific in the first two series
2) Toews continues to dominate top lines C
3) Kane played all world in the last 3 games

If even number 1 doesn't happen they lose in 5-6 to the Blues. The great news is those players are not going anywhere. Now its Boman's job to build the depth and Q's job to fix the pathetic defense this year.

Fortyfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:38 AM
blacknwhiterose
Rookie User

Short answer: last year we played smart and outskated them in 5 games. This year we were a bit inconsistent and lost in 7.

I give full credit to the Kings for getting locked in, playing their game and showing a lot of character; but if the Hawks just make a few less stupid mistakes and burn on all cylinders a bit more consistently, I think they win this series in 6 games. Like another poster said, this team had character but lacked consistency. I sense some of that inconsistent play has to hang on Q and his staff. I love Q, not calling for his head, but he might want to re-examine some of he and his staff's coaching philosophies and Q/Bowman find a way to tweak and re-ignite this team for next season. Land another, bigger Center and a Defenseman or two. Preferably someone who can get rowdy and vocal in the locker room and fan the fire under this team a little more. This is a great team, but for whatever reason(s), they seemed inconsistent since at least the Olympics break. Maybe it's just not in the cards every year. The nucleus is there, but if the hawks are gonna win another cup or two in the next few years, the aforementioned stuff needs to happen.

blacknwhiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
OhCaptainMyCaptain

This year the Kings were a healthier and deeper team, and some of our star players like Sharp and Hossa didn't do enough over the entire series. Would have been nice if Sharp had turned in on earlier. And also our defense wasn't too great this year, IMO, and Crawford didn't have a great series. It's not just one thing, it's a combination of several smaller things.

OhCaptainMyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
They got better, we got a little bit worse.

All there is to it.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
chimairainc

We needed to create a line to compete with the carter line

chimairainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:02 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

You mean besides the obvious "Fire Bowman!" "Fire Q!"???

-Lack of depth
-Except for games 5-7, I don't think this team played with the necessary intensity to win a Cup. Not saying they were lazy or didn't care at all. Just that they didn't have that deep down burning desire to win that they had last year. "Not hungry enough" i guess.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

The single biggest difference was that the Hawks weren't a very good defensive team this year.

A lot of that is focus-related. Losing Bolland and Frolik didn't cause them to go from the best defensive team in the NHL in '12-13 to a very average one in '13-14. They developed bad habits all year long and when it came time for everyone to increase intensity - which most did - it was too late to break them.

I think you'll see a much better schooled defensive team next year. This is on Quenneville and the coaching staff, who had a rather terrible year, to instill.

And yeah, the bottom six was awful. Or more specifically, the bottom three. Teams don't win Cups with nine forwards. Do we even need to talk about Bollig-Handzus-Versteeg?

I will say this - Bowman hasn't made many mistakes as Hawks GM, but re-signing Bollig was a really bad one.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Last year Hawks were better team ,, This year Kings were better team

Really that simple

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
OVs Gold Chain

[x] Better team won

OVs Gold Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Paracelsus
Rookie User

I've been browsing these forums occasionally for a while and figured I'd finally pop in to give my opinion now that the season is over. So, hello everyone.

Anyway, I think the biggest reason we lost to the Kings this year was our poor decision-making in our own zone. Blind passes right to the King's forwards and weak chip attempts that were easily kept in were far too numerous and plagued us the whole series. A couple of times we could have just skated out of our zone and then made the pass attempt but, instead, we turned the puck over and had to scramble back into defensive positions.

Certainly we had other faults, and I think the biggest reason we lost game 7 in particular was that pitiful 5 on 3 performance, but we could have spent much more time shooting on their net and much less time blocking shots if we had been better with the puck in our own zone.

Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The single biggest difference was that the Hawks weren't a very good defensive team this year.

A lot of that is focus-related. Losing Bolland and Frolik didn't cause them to go from the best defensive team in the NHL in '12-13 to a very average one in '13-14. They developed bad habits all year long and when it came time for everyone to increase intensity - which most did - it was too late to break them.

I think you'll see a much better schooled defensive team next year. This is on Quenneville and the coaching staff, who had a rather terrible year, to instill.

And yeah, the bottom six was awful. Or more specifically, the bottom three. Teams don't win Cups with nine forwards. Do we even need to talk about Bollig-Handzus-Versteeg?

I will say this - Bowman hasn't made many mistakes as Hawks GM, but re-signing Bollig was a really bad one.
This, all of this.

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Absolutely. The Hawks won their Cups rolling 4 lines and wearing teams out. Q didn't trust the guys at the bottom of his roster this year.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Different year, different results. Last year was a steamroller, start to finish. This year was good but not like last season. Making the conference finals was a good showing despite the sting of a game 7 loss on home ice. This years seedings helped.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:

Solid post.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Absolutely. The Hawks won their Cups rolling 4 lines and wearing teams out. Q didn't trust the guys at the bottom of his roster this year.
I think the big problem later in the year/in the playoffs was that 2C and the 3rd line sucked. That forced them to bring up Kruger/Smith, leaving the 4th line to Bollig, Zeus, and others.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Also hurt that guys like Muzzin/Martinez who struggled last year stepped up while Nick Leddy was again a miserable soft liability for Hawks

Amazing to see how much better Muzzin was this year for Kings ,, And how Leddy was worse

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
hisgirlfriday

Didn't vote because "The Kings scored more well-timed goals than the Hawks" was not an option.

I don't disagree that the 2014 Kings are better than the 2013 Kings with a healthier lineup + Gaborik or that the 2014 Hawks were worse than the 2013 Hawks minus Bolland and Frolik. I also believe the Hawks feared them less coming into the series and Q made more questionable roster/linemate/D pairings decisions than last year.

But the Hawks could have overcome all of that anyway with just 1 or 2 goals scored or denied in each and every loss of this series.

If hossa passes to Toews instead of shoots when on the 2-on-1 in game 2. Or the Hawks had kept skating rather than assuming the puck hit the netting.
If the puck in Game 3 (I think) doesn't deflect off the linesman during a Hawks clearing attempt to let Carter score.
If the PK blocked shots a little better in the 1st period of game 4.
If the forwards hadn't given the Kopitar line a 3-on-2 in the 3rd period of game 7.

This series was there for the taking with better execution and focus because the Hawks certainly had good enough talent, strategy, health to get it done. Whether the Hawks played better defense like they could have or whether the Hawks scorers got more goals like they could have, the Hawks could have won. Just didn't work out.

In some ways it felt like this series was a microcosm of the entire Hawks season. Parts of it had the PK struggling and parts it was unstoppable. Same for the PP. Game 1 had the Hawks locked in to a tight lowscoring game which was the victory formula in Jan thru April. Game 4 was like those awful road blowouts the Hawks had like when Khabby got hurt or against the Avs. Games 5, 6, 7 had the Hawks in a highscoring super-entertaining trackmeet with crappy defense like the Hawks had Oct., Nov., Dec. when Kane was on his ridiculous point streaks. And of course, to sum up this year of the elusive OT win, it ends with an OT loss.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote