HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Montreal Canadiens Standards too High?

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Are the Montreal Canadiens Standards too High?

TSN was talking about the greatest defensman of all time and Larry Robinson was being talked about as one of the top defenseman of all time.

I've always known that montreal is the toughest place to get your number retired but isn't this a little ridiculous? A player that is regarded as one of the best defensmen of all time ( I believe the hockey news ranked him #6 all time back in 1996... correct me if I'm wrong) and he is not good enough to have his number retired?

Add to the fact that Robinson played virtually his entire career in montreal before wrapping it up in LA.... I think this has to be a no brainer. But if Larry cant get his number up in the rafters.... you have to wonder if any montreal player will ever have his number retired again.

I'll garauntee you that if big bird played with any other team for his career.... his number would would rightfully be hanging in the rafters.

Old
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Howie Morenz

Old
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Robinson will eventually get his jersey retired... It's a pretty well known fact. They'll do it the same year they want the all-star game and the draft too, at least that's what they want to do.

Old
12-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Robinson will eventually get his jersey retired... It's a pretty well known fact. They'll do it the same year they want the all-star game and the draft too, at least that's what they want to do.
I certainly hope so.

Has anyone had to wait longer for their number to be retired than larry? It's been around 15 years since he retired.

If they wanted to retire his number during an all star year, why didn't they do it in 1993?

BTW, what year are the habs targeting for the all star game/draft? I wasn't aware of this.

Old
12-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Traitor8

i'm not 100% sure but I remember reading on Rds that they wanted either the 2009 or 2010 all-star game and 2009 or 2010 Nhl Draft because it represents a milestone in the history of the canadiens, i don't know if it's the 100th year or something but ya..and the thing is that what I heard is that they wanted to retire or honor past players every year until the all-star game.

Old
12-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Marksman

I got this feeling they are waiting his coaching career being over too ... wouldnt be very classy act to do it when hes still around so close to the game.

Old
12-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Darz

Eight wonder of the world - Why Robinson jersey is NOT hanging in the rafters!

I truely believe management will fix this injustice in the near future.

12-02-2004, 11:55 AM
mcphee

I understood that the org. was either going to announce their plans or actually retire the #19 along with any others they felt were worthy during the next season. I'm not positive whether they would hold each ceremnony or post their plans, but it was in a Red Fisher column that the issue would be dealt with. I think the initial delay had more to do with a dispute between Robinson,his agent and Serge Savard when Larry went to LA. IF I remember, it's in his book, Robinson wanted to play 2-3 more years and Savard was leery about signing him for that period. At the time,long term Habs would be paid a years salary as a retirement gift, this was somehow mentionned in their negotiations,and led to a further disagreement. The agent countered that Larry wanted to stay and see his number in the rafters, and Savard went to the press contending that Robinson had 'demanded' this honor. Robinson went to LA and I'm guessing that everyone has forgiven and forgottten. His agent,actually more of a business partner, Donny Cape, spoke openly at the time about the issue and has been quite critical of th eorg. up until the last few years. I'm sure there's more to the story, there usually is, but the retired number issue has nothing to do with the quality of his play.

Old
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
komisakick ass

[QUOTE=Hackett] But if Larry cant get his number up in the rafters.... you have to wonder if any montreal player will ever have his number retired again^.[QUOTE]

Old
12-02-2004, 01:35 PM
MasterD

[QUOTE=komisakick ass][QUOTE=Hackett] But if Larry cant get his number up in the rafters.... you have to wonder if any montreal player will ever have his number retired again^.
Quote:

Agreed. He just did everything he could to date to help the team/city. In today's NHL, he's one of the classiest (sp. ) players.

Old
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I got this feeling they are waiting his coaching career being over too ... wouldnt be very classy act to do it when hes still around so close to the game.
Good point

Old
12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Good point
They aren't waiting though. They've said it will be done as soon as possible.

Old
12-02-2004, 04:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

When I met with the head of marketing of the Habs, I asked if there were plans to retire his number, and they said not anytime in the immediate future.

Old
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
When I met with the head of marketing of the Habs, I asked if there were plans to retire his number, and they said not anytime in the immediate future.
Now, were you drunk at this point or just have a bit of a glow happening?

Old
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Ross MacLochness

immediate future meaning next 2 or 3 hours?

Old
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
I kind of believe Fisher's article. They have a few to do, including #33, marketing won't say anything unless they've been specifically told to.

Old
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The guy seemed kinda pissed when I asked that question. He said that they will do it eventually, but have no plans as of now to do it. He also said that just because some reporter thinks it should be done, doesn't mean they will listen.

I think it's a question he gets asked alot, because he really seemed pissed.

Old
12-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

[QUOTE=komisakick ass][QUOTE=Hackett] But if Larry cant get his number up in the rafters.... you have to wonder if any montreal player will ever have his number retired again^.
Quote:

I love saku but can u compare him to the unbelievable standards that the habs have for retiring a sweater?

Saku has been the best habs player of this decade but is he smongst the elite of the all time habs? He's not there... He possibly could've been one of them but a lot of bad luck has really hampered his career.... but he's still got some years left in him.... I hope saku all the best

Old
12-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
TSN was talking about the greatest defensman of all time and Larry Robinson was being talked about as one of the top defenseman of all time.

I've always known that montreal is the toughest place to get your number retired but isn't this a little ridiculous? A player that is regarded as one of the best defensmen of all time ( I believe the hockey news ranked him #6 all time back in 1996... correct me if I'm wrong) and he is not good enough to have his number retired?

Add to the fact that Robinson played virtually his entire career in montreal before wrapping it up in LA.... I think this has to be a no brainer. But if Larry cant get his number up in the rafters.... you have to wonder if any montreal player will ever have his number retired again.

I'll garauntee you that if big bird played with any other team for his career.... his number would would rightfully be hanging in the rafters.

The habs will retire his number soon. The habs will be 100 years old 2009 and there will be major things happening. A number of numbers will be retired. Gainey Savard Robinson Dryden and maybe lapoints numbers will be retired. Also they are asking the league to host the all star game for that year

Old
12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
The habs will retire his number soon. The habs will be 100 years old 2009 and there will be major things happening. A number of numbers will be retired. Gainey Savard Robinson Dryden and maybe lapoints numbers will be retired. Also they are asking the league to host the all star game for that year
Boy, thats a long wait but what a proud year that will be for a habs fan if all that is true.

I wonder if Montreal will retire Roy's number?

Old
12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
That's not that at all. There's just very little significance in retiring jerseys every minute. I personally prefer the Habs way (overly long) to the contrary method, such as those losers in Denver who retired Ray Bourque's number when he has played a handful of games, and they retired it the minute he left the game.

Habs are the best team when it comes to treating their former players with care and respect. They also take their time when it comes to honours such as these. It's a really storied franchise. His number will come up eventually.

I also think it's pretty cool to wait for another reason. I think the longer you wait, the farther they are away from hockey and the sweeter it is for them when they get those honors. There are already many younger fans on these boards who don't even know who this guy is. I mean, they know the name but they don't realize just how awesome Larry was as an athlete and a person. Hopefully they'll get a taste of what Larry was like as a player through a video montage at a really cool ceremony.

I think there are too many pointless ceremonies and awards given on the spot nowadays. I was looking at the CHL VS Russia challenge and found it ridiculous that after every game, they would select a player for each team and give those ridiculous, crappy plaques. It's like everybody nowadays needs to be celebrated on the spot the minute something happens.

It shouldn't work like this. I think it's great that the Habs have great standards and take their time. It makes the retirements and ceremonies meaningful and the organization prestigious.

Old
12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:

I wonder if Montreal will retire Roy's number?
I think they got to. Clearly the no.1 goaltender ever. 2 cups in Montréal.

He revolutionized the job of goaltender so much...

Old
12-03-2004, 07:11 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
That's not that at all. There's just very little significance in retiring jerseys every minute. I personally prefer the Habs way (overly long) to the contrary method, such as those losers in Denver who retired Ray Bourque's number when he has played a handful of games, and they retired it the minute he left the game.

Habs are the best team when it comes to treating their former players with care and respect. They also take their time when it comes to honours such as these. It's a really storied franchise. His number will come up eventually.

I also think it's pretty cool to wait for another reason. I think the longer you wait, the farther they are away from hockey and the sweeter it is for them when they get those honors. There are already many younger fans on these boards who don't even know who this guy is. I mean, they know the name but they don't realize just how awesome Larry was as an athlete and a person. Hopefully they'll get a taste of what Larry was like as a player through a video montage at a really cool ceremony.

I think there are too many pointless ceremonies and awards given on the spot nowadays. I was looking at the CHL VS Russia challenge and found it ridiculous that after every game, they would select a player for each team and give those ridiculous, crappy plaques. It's like everybody nowadays needs to be celebrated on the spot the minute something happens.

It shouldn't work like this. I think it's great that the Habs have great standards and take their time. It makes the retirements and ceremonies meaningful and the organization prestigious.
I agree with this point of view. But I think we are due for a 7th member.

Old
12-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I agree with this point of view. But I think we are due for a 7th member.
8th member

There are seven retired "Glorieux" already, not six. I think I remember an interview where Corey said they like to wait a little before retiring players. If you look at the more recent retirements, they've been done in 75, 85 and 95. I think they like taking 10 years between them.

It would have been really nice to have a retirement in 05 to continue this tradition. Also, I think the Habs realize they may never again be such a powerhouse and they might as well take their time because it could take a looong time before new heroes wear this jersey.

Hockey players today in general have no loyalty. They're spoiled brats. In a way, this is going to allow the Habs to celebrate a time when there were heroes and glory days. It's kind of cool and a luxury very few teams have.

I have no doubt that this not an injustice. Everybody knows Larry should and will have his jersey retired. It's just a matter of time, I think. I think for sure we will see one, possibly two retirements in the next 10 years.

Old
12-04-2004, 12:07 AM
PeaceNLove

As morbid as I may sound, I just hope nobody will die before their jersey is retired... I mean, they are taking soooo long...

Closed Thread