HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF | Game 1 | (6)Blackhawks @ (3)Coyotes | 7PM |4-12-12|FSA+ NBCSN RDS CSN Chicago

Old
04-13-2012, 01:59 AM
MP

vCash: 500
OEL is a machine. They put the camera on him after a shift in OT and he wasn't even breathing very hard. Anybody else catch Nash saying that OEL looks like he's 12 years old?

Yandle was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping he'd find another gear once the playoffs started. He's gotten a little better in his own end, despite a few noticeable gaffes, but you wonder where the crafty, dynamic puck-mover went.

So much fun watching the Coyotes maul the Hawks. It seemed a more controlled physicality than in years past--hitting clearly a priority, but nobody appeared to wind up too far out of position over it. Even Whitney threw a nice crunchy one.

Of course I feel stupid now for thinking Smith would become, at best, part of a goaltending platoon with LaBarbera. But in my defense, I'm not sure anyone, including maybe Don Maloney, realistically expected Smith to be this good.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:05 AM
lockstock

I got stuck at work and missed the first period and beginning of the 2nd. Wow, what a game?!!!! Intense. It's been such a rough couple of years, it just feels so good, like others said, it's hard to keep the tears at bay sometimes. Just watching all the videos posted in here, so much emotion, you can see the guys playing their hearts out. Fricking Vrbata even throwing a huge hit! I hope they can keep it up. What a game! The last couple of minutes in OT, it was like the end of an MMA match where the guy is down, turtled up, and they just kept beating them, and beating them until they put it in...glad they finished it early so I didn't have to leave my car at the bar 2 nights in a row and walk home again.

lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:21 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Random stat: the Yotes had a streak of 21 consecutive playoff games without going into overtime until tonight.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Where can I acquire a "white out" jersey? I saw a bunch of them on tv and i need one. Bad. There are a couple in SR's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Never seen those before, they're actually wicked awesome. I wouldn't mind one myself.
They are being sold at Just Sports (possibly elsewhere but I'm not sure), I saw them at PV Mall but they only had 2 left in stock. Guy mentioned they may be getting more (this was Wednesday) but a lot of them were being shipped to the Just Sports at Westgate.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Man when Smitty let that first weak one in I instantly thought "oh ****, here we go again". The memories of that brutal series last season came flooding back. Thank the hockey gods they were able to stick to their guns and turn this one around. That goal in the second was awesome, they just beat the Hawks into submission. I can picture Chicago fans at home sitting on their coach screaming "Get it out!!!!". Anyway, I have nothing new to say that it isn't already covered in this massive thread but I will say this much...as a Coyotes fan, I needed this!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:03 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Random stat: the Yotes had a streak of 21 consecutive playoff games without going into overtime until tonight.
Yeah, I think I read on Twitter that we haven't even won an OT game in the playoffs since 1999. I was 7.

I can't stop watching the highlights. I keep watching that Hanzal goal every 20 minutes. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't start actively following the team until 06-07. After putting so much emotional investment into terrible teams, getting that first win in Game 1 in the 09-10 series against Detroit was one of my best moments with this team but tonight could possibly top that moment. I never experienced it until now (with my own team), but there is a certain mystique of playoff overtime hockey. The thrill and terror of knowing that one goal wins the game and that the loser gets nothing is unlike anything else.

I already felt this way before, but I will never understand the opinion that OT games in the playoffs should be 4-on-4 or go to the shootout, especially after tonight. Sudden death is the best part of the game! If you're too tired to stay up, that's completely reasonable, but we live in a DVR era.

What a great game!

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:13 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Yeah, I think I read on Twitter that we haven't even won an OT game in the playoffs since 1999. I was 7.

I can't stop watching the highlights. I keep watching that Hanzal goal every 20 minutes. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't start actively following the team until 06-07. After putting so much emotional investment into terrible teams, getting that first win in Game 1 in the 09-10 series against Detroit was one of my best moments with this team but tonight could possibly top that moment. I never experienced it until now (with my own team), but there is a certain mystique of playoff overtime hockey. The thrill and terror of knowing that one goal wins the game and that the loser gets nothing is unlike anything else.

I already felt this way before, but I will never understand the opinion that OT games in the playoffs should be 4-on-4 or go to the shootout, especially after tonight. Sudden death is the best part of the game! If you're too tired to stay up, that's completely reasonable, but we live in a DVR era.

What a great game!
Our stories are literally exactly the same. Right down to the age I've always been a Coyotes fan but I was to young to really follow the league religiously until after the lock-out. Tonight was one of the best hockey experiences of my life as was that game 1 in 2010.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:47 AM
nhlfan9191

Could Mike Smith be any hotter?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:32 AM
XX
SOS

Hawks - 22
Coyotes - 48

Going to pay off in the long run.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Wile E Coyotes

Goal horn could barely be heard on tv. Was it just the feed, or could you people at the game barely hear it as well? Whatever the case that crowd was rockin!

Wile E Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Oh man. What a freakin' amazing game last night, and I was only watching it on the tube!

Unbelievable. So glad my boy Hanzal got the winner.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:20 AM
albertabound

Any word on Vi? Did Brule get injured also I notice that he only got 8 shifts which is unusual for #8. Didn't get to sree the whole game too late up in northern Alberta and work at 6:00 come quick, but excited when I turned my computer on!!!!!

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:19 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyotes View Post
Goal horn could barely be heard on tv. Was it just the feed, or could you people at the game barely hear it as well? Whatever the case that crowd was rockin!
We could barely hear it. It was going off - but the cheering was much, much louder than the horn! You couldn't hear the song very well either.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabound View Post
Any word on Vi? Did Brule get injured also I notice that he only got 8 shifts which is unusual for #8. Didn't get to sree the whole game too late up in northern Alberta and work at 6:00 come quick, but excited when I turned my computer on!!!!!
I may be wrong but it seemed like there was a point when he failed to clear the puck out of the defensive zone. Not sure f it was a weak backhand pass toward the center of the ice or what but his time seemed limited after that.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Brule was nervous or something he didn't have a good game starting out and w/Tipp, that just means you don't get anytime late, which is ok, Brule will pick it up in the next game. Game 1 jitters are over. Remember, this is his 1st playoff since juniors.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
albertabound

Do you think Chipchura will get in Saturday if Vib is out for that game or do they call up??

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:42 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabound View Post
Do you think Chipchura will get in Saturday if Vib is out for that game or do they call up??
I think Chipchura gets in myself. I think you continue to push Boedker and Korpy for more offense and fill the spot with guys who can assist in the physical play.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:01 AM
PhoPhan

Man. What a game. I'm still hyped up (although maybe that's because I got like four hours of sleep last night).

The Blackhawks' skill definitely gave the Coyotes issues in spurts, but I think the physical game really got to Chicago, and I hope it sets a tone for the series. By the end of the game, they seemed to abandon a lot of their puck possession game, and Kane and Shaw diving all over the place, while frustrating, makes me confident they're a little intimidated.

Of course, most of that resets come Saturday night. The best news from game one is that the two guys I was most worried about being nervous -- OEL and Smith -- played out of their mind and proved their mettle. Despite the early softie, Smith is not pulling a Bryzgalov, and OEL looks like a hall-of-famer out there. Along with Doan, these were the most important players out there, but I didn't see any passengers on the whole team. In a few cases, I think some guys were holding their sticks a little too tight, but I don't think anyone was completely outmatched.

Anyway, win or lose, that was probably the most entertaining game of hockey I've seen since the 2010 run. Here's hoping the series continues in that fashion.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM

The crowd was really hot and the atmosphere after the win is something I don't know if I ever remember. There was so much excitement buzzing through the crowd all the way out of the building spilling into the parking lot.

Two of the three goals the Coyotes scored were after sustained pressure in the offensive zone. You could just feel that they were going to score as the Blackhawks were getting mentally fatigued from the pressure and were icing the puck to try and catch a break.

Kudos to the Blackhawk fans, you guys are so much better than the opposing fans we've had the past two years. There were quite a few in the stands but not obnoxious.

Someone must have been sitting behind me from here because in OT with OEL carrying the puck the guy said, "Come on Harry Potter!".

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I posted some time ago when people were ready to waive Pyatt that he was brought in for the playoffs, not the regular season. His play on both ends of the ice was superb. I'm glad to see the guy have a great game. He's a good guy.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post

Someone must have been sitting behind me from here because in OT with OEL carrying the puck the guy said, "Come on Harry Potter!".
Where we're you sitting? I called him Harry. I was in 207 J

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:42 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I think Chipchura gets in myself. I think you continue to push Boedker and Korpy for more offense and fill the spot with guys who can assist in the physical play.
A healthy Chippy is better than a hurting Vrby. Especially with some type of rib/shoulder injury. I say sit Vrby on Sat unless he's near 100%.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
preds1

vCash: 605
Congrats Yotes! Well done.......

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
A healthy Chippy is better than a hurting Vrby. Especially with some type of rib/shoulder injury. I say sit Vrby on Sat unless he's near 100%.
Vrbata at 70% is better than 100% Chipchura. We have a number of Chip type players in our lineup, but Vrbata adds an element we don't have a surplus of. Whitney is far more effective with Radim in the lineup too. Looked like a wrist or shoulder injury? Hopefully nothing is broken...

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I posted some time ago when people were ready to waive Pyatt that he was brought in for the playoffs, not the regular season. His play on both ends of the ice was superb. I'm glad to see the guy have a great game. He's a good guy.
Outside viewer but totally agree he was one of if not the nest Pheonix forward. He used to do that in Van as well and than reg season i never noticed him.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote