HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

DousedInOil's 5th Annual Draft Ranking (AKA "Official Draft Thread: Part VIII")

View Poll Results: Who should the Oilers choose with their 2nd round pick?
Ludvig Bystrom 4 2.80%
Jordan Schmaltz 1 0.70%
Dalton Thrower 31 21.68%
Ville Pokka 1 0.70%
Stefan Matteau 0 0%
Tanner Pearson 2 1.40%
Jarrod Maidens 1 0.70%
Daniil Zharkov 0 0%
Tom Wilson 14 9.79%
Colton Sissons 2 1.40%
Henrik Samuelsson 62 43.36%
Scott Laughton 6 4.20%
Scott Komaschuk 0 0%
Cristoval Nieves 0 0%
Tim Bozon 2 1.40%
Malcolm Subban 13 9.09%
Oscar Dansk 4 2.80%
Other - List below in comments 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Grigorenko at #17 on the tsn mock draft. Would be a steal there.

He will be this year's Couturier. Several teams will be kicking themselves for passing on this kid.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:07 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
He will be this year's Couturier. Several teams will be kicking themselves for passing on this kid.
Completely agree. This kid should be fully healthy by the time training camp comes around and I personally believe he has the ability to play in the nhl next year.
Ideal 2nd line center down the road. I hope the Oilers can pull off a deal for another pick to land this kid.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
DousedInOil

Great show on the pipelineshow tonight. I loved Ross Mcleans comments on Dalton Thrower.
Quote:
"If he isn't taken in the 1st round ill be mad. I'll throw a table or something... If the Oilers manage to get him at 32 ill just quit my job and become an Oilers fan".
Love it!

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:

Ideally, we take Yakupov, trade for a pick and scoop a Reinhart/Grigerenko and then Grab Dalton thrower at 32.

I wouldn't even care what happens in the later rounds, but I'd grab Brandon Leipsec with 2nd pick in 4th if he's there. Kid has the I'm pissed off determination like Fleury and St Louis, and with Omark likely gone we have room for another small fancy prospect.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Great show on the pipelineshow tonight. I loved Ross Mcleans comments on Dalton Thrower.

Love it!
Agreed.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:28 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

Love it!
So who do you think we get at 32?

I have a hunch that someone will very unexpectedly fall to 32 from the 18-22 range and we will grab them. I'm expecting some of the goalies to be taken higher than expected and this will cause other good players to fall.

One of Samuelsson, Thrower, Laughton or Dansk at #32 and I will be very happy.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
If Subban and Thrower are taken, I would want us to get Vasilevski.
Samuelson doesnt do much for me.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I'm surprised how few people like Trouba but like Reinhart. Trouba was the best dman at the WJC for any team and plays a more physical game than Reinhart does. I'm not saying Trouba is significantly better but I'm surprised people think Reinhart is significantly better than Trouba.
Ya, I dont think so Tim.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
So who do you think we get at 32?

I have a hunch that someone will very unexpectedly fall to 32 from the 18-22 range and we will grab them. I'm expecting some of the goalies to be taken higher than expected and this will cause other good players to fall.

One of Samuelsson, Thrower, Laughton or Dansk at #32 and I will be very happy.
It all depends who falls. It seems like their is a drop after the top 20-25 players and the next group runs from 25-40. Here are a couple of people that I think might be "off the board" but might be available at 32.

Forwards:
1. Henrik Samuelsson: Obviously ties to our WHL team and has the bloodlines that would make him a similar pick to David Musil in his draft year. He would add some grit down the wing on the main club.
2. Scott Laughton: Could be the 2nd best forward from the OHL and would be a great 2nd/3rd line center. He brings a lot of character and grit down the middle and would compliment our current centers.
3. Martin Frk: Passed over due to injury but is still a big and highly skilled forward that could be an absolute steal in a couple years if he can bounce back. Sort of flying under the radar like Brandon Saad did last year.
4. Tanner Pearson: Overager that can jump right into the lineup. I think people forget about him because of his injury at the end of the year but would be a good complimentary player that can play in the NHL next year.
5. Jarrod Maidens: Natural leader that would be rated much higher if he didn't miss so much time due to injury. Could be an absolute beast down the road and a captain in the NHL one day. Sleeper pick.

Defence:
1. Dalton Thrower: He can do it all. Plays 35+ minutes a night, throws hits and a great teammate. He is very underrated and would be a top 15 pick if he was a few inches taller.
2. Ludvig Bystrom: Slick passer that has a lot of offensive instincts. Still very young and might be the best swedish defenceman in this years draft.
3. Michael Matheson: Wouldn't be surprised if he is taken 32nd. Has underperformed this year but makes a great first pass and still very good defensively. He still needs to work on his overall game. Needs to bulk up.
4. Damon Severson: Big defenceman that has produced a lot despite being on a weaker team. He could be a top 4 defenceman one day and can play any role that a team needs. Still very raw and a bit of a project.
5. Jordan Schmaltz: If you are looking for a high offensive defenceman that has lots of potential (and isnt 5'9") you might want to run the risk on Schmaltz. He has a 6'2" frame and lots of room to grow.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
It all depends who falls. It seems like their is a drop after the top 20-25 players and the next group runs from 25-40. Here are a couple of people that I think might be "off the board" but might be available at 32.

Forwards:
1. Henrik Samuelsson: Obviously ties to our WHL team and has the bloodlines that would make him a similar pick to David Musil in his draft year. He would add some grit down the wing on the main club.
2. Scott Laughton: Could be the 2nd best forward from the OHL and would be a great 2nd/3rd line center. He brings a lot of character and grit down the middle and would compliment our current centers.
3. Martin Frk: Passed over due to injury but is still a big and highly skilled forward that could be an absolute steal in a couple years if he can bounce back. Sort of flying under the radar like Brandon Saad did last year.
4. Tanner Pearson: Overager that can jump right into the lineup. I think people forget about him because of his injury at the end of the year but would be a good complimentary player that can play in the NHL next year.
5. Jarrod Maidens: Natural leader that would be rated much higher if he didn't miss so much time due to injury. Could be an absolute beast down the road and a captain in the NHL one day. Sleeper pick.

Defence:
1. Dalton Thrower: He can do it all. Plays 35+ minutes a night, throws hits and a great teammate. He is very underrated and would be a top 15 pick if he was a few inches taller.
2. Ludvig Bystrom: Slick passer that has a lot of offensive instincts. Still very young and might be the best swedish defenceman in this years draft.
3. Michael Matheson: Wouldn't be surprised if he is taken 32nd. Has underperformed this year but makes a great first pass and still very good defensively. He still needs to work on his overall game. Needs to bulk up.
4. Damon Severson: Big defenceman that has produced a lot despite being on a weaker team. He could be a top 4 defenceman one day and can play any role that a team needs. Still very raw and a bit of a project.
5. Jordan Schmaltz: If you are looking for a high offensive defenceman that has lots of potential (and isnt 5'9") you might want to run the risk on Schmaltz. He has a 6'2" frame and lots of room to grow.
Out of the list, the BPA list stands like this in my opinion:
1. Martin Frk
2. Tanner Pearson
3. Dalton Thrower

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ya, I dont think so Tim.
Ya, Brodin, Klefbom, and Gormely were noticeably better to me.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Ya, Brodin, Klefbom, and Gormely were noticeably better to me.
How about Murray

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Out of the list, the BPA list stands like this in my opinion:
1. Martin Frk
2. Tanner Pearson
3. Dalton Thrower
I would kind of agree, though I think Pearson is overrated.

I would love Thrower, for Ross McLean to get as fired up as he did on the pipeline show, says to me, I want this guy.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
How about Murray
I thought Murray was fine, I remember seeing a clip of 4 goals being scored on him, and to be honest they were all bad puck luck. Like the one he went down to block the pass and the puck went off his leg into the net. Was just a bad bounce.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
How about Murray
I watched Murray almost exclusively for the home opener, I know you were being sarcastic with this post, but I was very underwhelmed.

I was sitting at the blue line next the penalty box in the Canada attack twice zone.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I watched Murray almost exclusively for the home opener, I know you were being sarcastic with this post, but I was very underwhelmed.

I was sitting at the blue line next the penalty box in the Canada attack twice zone.
I was a big Murray fan until the WJC.

What a disappointment he was.

I saw nothing in him worth getting excited over.

No swagger, no strengths.

I saw Tom Gilbert.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:42 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

Forwards:

Defence:
Thanks for the reply. Last year we saw guys like Jurco, Rattie, Jenner all falling out of the first round. This year there does not seem to be much agreement as to who will be selected where from about pick 20 to the top of the 2nd round.
I'm hoping we get a pleasant surprise and a really good player 'falls' to us at #32.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I think Grigorenko's style works against him. I have only seen him play a few times but it was enough to notice his playing style.

He is a pure playmaker that relies on his size/skill/patience with the puck. He doesn't attack defenders. He holds on to the puck and waits for defenders to come to him, opening up team-mates for the pass. Scouts can confuse this as lazy because he just sort of hangs around and waits the other team out. I personally think he is very effective and that he will be a great center in this league.

He is #2 on my board and I would love to grab him somehow.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I think Grigorenko's style works against him. I have only seen him play a few times but it was enough to notice his playing style.

He is a pure playmaker that relies on his size/skill/patience with the puck. He doesn't attack defenders. He holds on to the puck and waits for defenders to come to him, opening up team-mates for the pass. Scouts can confuse this as lazy because he just sort of hangs around and waits the other team out. I personally think he is very effective and that he will be a great center in this league.

He is #2 on my board and I would love to grab him somehow.
Youre not being serious are you?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I don't think the two are comparable.

Saad's stock dropped because he played through a fairly serious groin injury and looked slow/lazy.

In Frk's case, scouts have found out he's got an NHL caliber shot, but brings basically nothing else to the table.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Youre not being serious are you?
What don't you agree with?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
What don't you agree with?
The bolded part. These guys (scouts) have been in hockey their whole lives. 30-40-50yrs. You really think Grigorenko drawing defenders in and dishing the puck to the open man is confusing them into thinking he is lazy?

Ive watched him play, and tbh, Im not really sure where the "lazy" tag comes from, but then again, Im not a scout. If I had to guess based on my limited viewings it would be possibly a perceived lack of intensity. In puck battles, in the corners, along the boards, and possibly a lazy back check. But I cant say that with certainty.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
The bolded part. These guys (scouts) have been in hockey their whole lives. 30-40-50yrs. You really think Grigorenko drawing defenders in and dishing the puck to the open man is confusing them into thinking he is lazy?

Ive watched him play, and tbh, Im not really sure where the "lazy" tag comes from, but then again, Im not a scout. If I had to guess based on my limited viewings it would be possibly a perceived lack of intensity. In puck battles, in the corners, along the boards, and possibly a lazy back check. But I cant say that with certainty.
This assumes that scouts are always great judges of talent. Many of them are, some of them unfortunately are not. I honestly think it could confuse people into thinking he's lazy. He doesn't ever seem to be playing at full speed.

He doesn't fly around the ice playing balls to the wall like a Hall or a Yakupov. He plays a slower efficient game. When it doesn't work, and he doesn't create chances, I can understand how it would frustrate people.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well it was like Harry and Lloyd making decisions so I won't put too much stock into it.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well it was like Harry and Lloyd making decisions so I won't put too much stock into it.
Craig Button has made a living being a professional scout for over two decades.

There are questions about Grigorenko's age.

Some are saying he is actually 20yrs old.

Would you draft a 20yr old in the top five?