HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DousedInOil's 5th Annual Draft Ranking (AKA "Official Draft Thread: Part VIII")

View Poll Results: Who should the Oilers choose with their 2nd round pick?
Ludvig Bystrom 4 2.80%
Jordan Schmaltz 1 0.70%
Dalton Thrower 31 21.68%
Ville Pokka 1 0.70%
Stefan Matteau 0 0%
Tanner Pearson 2 1.40%
Jarrod Maidens 1 0.70%
Daniil Zharkov 0 0%
Tom Wilson 14 9.79%
Colton Sissons 2 1.40%
Henrik Samuelsson 62 43.36%
Scott Laughton 6 4.20%
Scott Komaschuk 0 0%
Cristoval Nieves 0 0%
Tim Bozon 2 1.40%
Malcolm Subban 13 9.09%
Oscar Dansk 4 2.80%
Other - List below in comments 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Lol I just got home from work now... So needless to say I missed it.
Wasnt a great game from Dumba. He was out of position lots and looked lost in his own end often. He did score when he ripped a wrister top shelf from the top of the circle. He leads the whole tourney in scoring.

I was very impressed with Seth Jones. Looks like a cross between Scott Niedermayer and Zedeno Chara. He skates so well, has a cannon of a shot and trucks guys. He is going to be a dominant #1D man in the nhl. He could go ahead of MacKinnon and Barkov and be first overall next year. He was captain of the American team.

American's hadnt even given up a goal in the tournament before playing Canada. Jacob Trouba was just ok. Nothing special from what I saw. Canadian goalie Matt Murray played fairly well I thought. Americans probably out played/chanced Canada, especially in the third when they pulled away.

Next up for Canada is Russia in the quarter final on thursday. Andrei Vasilevsky will be in goal for the Russians.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
McDoused

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wasnt a great game from Dumba. He was out of position lots and looked lost in his own end often. He did score when he ripped a wrister top shelf from the top of the circle. He leads the whole tourney in scoring.

I was very impressed with Seth Jones. Looks like a cross between Scott Niedermayer and Zedeno Chara. He skates so well, has a cannon of a shot and trucks guys. He is going to be a dominant #1D man in the nhl. He could go ahead of MacKinnon and Barkov and be first overall next year. He was captain of the American team.

American's hadnt even given up a goal in the tournament before playing Canada. Jacob Trouba was just ok. Nothing special from what I saw. Canadian goalie Matt Murray played fairly well I thought. Americans probably out played/chanced Canada, especially in the third when they pulled away.

Next up for Canada is Russia in the quarter final on thursday. Andrei Vasilevsky will be in goal for the Russians.
Thanks for this! With us likely to add Yakupov, I would definitely consider taking Vasilevski with our 2nd rounder.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm with Button on this one.

I've seen him live a couple times this season and I have no idea how he's ranked so high. His skating wasn't all that great and he just looked lost outside his own blueline.

I'd take guys like Thrower, Sieloff and Koekkoek before him.
Keep in mind he's one of the youngest kids in the draft. I don't have him top 15 like most but I would be surprised if he fell past 20. He's already on of the best (if not the best) defenceman on one of the best teams in the CHL. He's had some games where he's just looked so-so but he really turned it up at the end of the season. I don't see how his ranking could drop.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Here is a video of Thrower, I'm sure most of you will enjoy. It just gives you an idea of how rough his life has been, and how dedicated he is to hockey. I would heavily consider trading into the late 1st round to get him.
Part 2 is in the thumbnail.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...alton_thrower/

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Keep in mind he's one of the youngest kids in the draft. I don't have him top 15 like most but I would be surprised if he fell past 20. He's already on of the best (if not the best) defenceman on one of the best teams in the CHL. He's had some games where he's just looked so-so but he really turned it up at the end of the season. I don't see how his ranking could drop.
Yeah, 20 is reasonable. He's a safe pick. He's good on his edges and pivoting, just need to work on speed and quickness and he'll basically be a Smid clone.

He gets the majority of his points with his outlet pass. The Knights are a very good rushing team. Maatta is going to get some hype for his play-off points, but he's getting them the same way he did in the regular season.

I just don't see enough of an offensive upside for him to be a top-10 pick.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

There are some conspiracy theorists who think the Oilers will finish 6th last next year, win the lottery and draft Seth Jones 2nd overall.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
There are some conspiracy theorists who think the Oilers will finish 6th last next year, win the lottery and draft Seth Jones 2nd overall.
If that's the case, we need to get his defense partner in Jacob Trouba somehow. If Forsberg, Gally and Faksa are all off the board when winnipeg picks, would you move Paajarvi and Gagner for that pick? Maybe it's an overpayment but we need to address our defence somehow.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Canada vs USA on right now on TSN.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Oilers4life1987

2012 prospects

Hey guys, do any of you have a good scouting report on these prospects and would you want them in oil silks:

1) Teuvo Teravainen
2) Tomas Hertl
3) Griffan Reinhart
4) Radek Fadska

Oilers4life1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 08:19 AM
SilverHaireDevil

you could check DousedinOils thread about the upcoming draft and the prospects that he has done what looks to be a crapload of work on researching them.

been on the front page of our board for awhile now.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...38&prefixid=t4

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsgotTigerBlood View Post
Here is a video of Thrower, I'm sure most of you will enjoy. It just gives you an idea of how rough his life has been, and how dedicated he is to hockey. I would heavily consider trading into the late 1st round to get him.
Part 2 is in the thumbnail.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...alton_thrower/
Could this guy be the next Kris Letang - aka 6'0 200lb Dman who hits and fights despite smaller stature for a Dman. Letang was a 3rd rder and only put up 30something pts in his draft year. Both RHD. Is Thrower a good enough or smooth enough skater?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Could this guy be the next Kris Letang - aka 6'0 200lb Dman who hits and fights despite smaller stature for a Dman. Letang was a 3rd rder and only put up 30something pts in his draft year. Both RHD. Is Thrower a good enough or smooth enough skater?
From what I've seen he plays like and offensive mcilrath, with his ceiling being a player like Letang. if he makes it to the second round I would take him. If not, maybe try to move up and get him.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
From what I've seen he plays like and offensive mcilrath, with his ceiling being a player like Letang. if he makes it to the second round I would take him. If not, maybe try to move up and get him.
After NJD forfeit their pick, 31+76 to get to 25ish? I'd be OK with that (25th - if NJD forfeit - would be held by VAN.... would love to nab that type of player with their pick).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
After NJD forfeit their pick, 31+76 to get to 25ish? I'd be OK with that (25th - if NJD forfeit - would be held by VAN.... would love to nab that type of player with their pick).
I would be down. I'm kinda high on Vasilevski too though. Either one would make me happy.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:47 PM
McDoused

I've been kind of busy but im slowly getting the rest of the profiles ready.

41. Jake McCabe: LH Defenceman
Height: 6'1" Weight: 200lbs
Born: October 12th, 1993
Birthplace: Eau Claire, WI
U. of Wisconsin (WCHA): 26GP 3G 9A 12P, +0, 12PIM
NHL Comparable: Ryan Suter
Projection: Top Four Defenceman
Fun Fact: He has played as Justin Schultz's defence partner at times
Quote:
The Skinny:
Probably the most underrated defenceman in the draft, The University of Wisconsin defenceman is already playing NCAA hockey and hasn't looked out of place. I could see him jumping ahead of a guy like Brady Skeji. He might not have the upside, but he is already more of a complete player that understands the game and has high hockey IQ. He is capable of shutting down other teams top players, running a powerplay and making the solid outlet pass that NHL teams look for. He's another one of those forwards that was moved to defence in his career and has more offense to his game because of it. He protects the puck well, battles in corners and uses his reach to his advantage. He's physical but has the necessary offensive and defensive instincts to be successful at the next level.

McCabe still needs to work on his footspeed and his decision making is questionable at times. He is a super competitive kid that likes to throw hits and can be found looking for the hit rather than playing the puck at times. He is quick laterally but could use that dyanmic first couple of steps to make him a little better at handling smaller forwards. He has a tremendous amount of poise with the puck and could use the time and space he creates a little bit better. He has time to make maybe a "flashier" player rather than just making the simple play at time.

A quick quote from his coach: "You want guys that can jump up in the play, be very efficient without the puck and compete. So I think Jake will fit that mold pretty well. The (Wisconsin) guys that have gone on to the NHL are there because they have natural abilities and work very hard. The coaches that we have had here have been able to help them learn about the game and help them continue their growth. We hope that Jake will fall into that category because he's definitely got things that you're not going to teach him. We hope that we can expand Jake's vision of the game and help with his training and strength to be successful at that (NHL) level."

42. Phil Di Giuseppe: Center
Height: 6'1" Weight: 200lbs
Born: October 9th, 1993
Birthplace: Maple, Ontario
U. of Michigan (CCHA): 39GP 11G 15A 26P, +23, 18PIM
NHL Comparable: David Legwand
Projection: Second Line Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny
It can't be stressed how hard it is for a junior prospect to be playing in the NCAA. Not only do they have to play against much bigger and more experienced skaters, they have to worry about education and working their way up the lineup. Playing against 23, 24, and 25 year olds definitely has its challenges for lanky teenagers. Yet, Di Giuseppe not only holds his own, he thrives. Phil Di Giuseppe is incredibly hard to knock off the puck, has a thick frame and his style of game is very well-rounded.

Not only does Phil possess great physical attributes, he has a great work ethic, an undying love for the game and an excellent set of wheels. He has the skill and speed to take the puck but has improved his physical play this year. His strong play garnered him a look at canada's WJC camp and caught the eye of legendary coach Red Berenson. It doesn't hurt that he finished second on the team in terms of plus-minus with +23. Di Giuseppe is incredibly versatile and works hard.

On the other hand, Di Giuseppe doesn't generally undress defenders with highlight reel moves. He has a lot of tools in his toolbox but generally plays a safe game rather than trying to beat defenders one-on-one. I think his lack of offensive talent might keep him out of the first round but thats not to say he doesn't possess a solid shot and playmaking ability. He doesn't always show up on the stat sheet playing against other teams top lines. Still he has dropped out of the first round after his offense dropped from a very good start.

43. Cristoval "Boo" Nieves: Center/ Left Winger
Height: 6'3" Weight: 185lbs
Born: January 23rd, 1994
Birthplace: Baldwinsville, New York
Indiana Ice (USHL): 4GP 0G 2A 2P, +2, 0PIM
NHL Comparable: Joe Nieuwendyk / Chris Kreider
Projection: Top Nine Forward
Favorite Team: Los Angeles
Fun Fact: He plays the drums and guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny
When you start to describe Cristoval Nieves, you can't help but get excited. He is a big powerful forward that has incredibly soft hands, blazing speed that allows him to blow by defenders and a hockey IQ that makes him know how he is going to beat defenders before he even picks up the puck. Why then, is he not a lock for the first round? The answer is one that most prep school hockey players face. Nieves has been playing against a relatively weak level of competition thus far. Luckily, Boo has recently joined one of the best teams in the USHL in the Indiana Ice and could really showcase his talent if the Ice make a strong playoff push. Internationally he hasn't looked out of place and at times even looked better than his teammate Alex Galchenyuk.

As a pass first type of player, Cristoval needs to be a bit more selfish and work on shooting the puck more. Given that he posted 43 goals in just 23 games a year ago, he is certainly capable of putting the puck in the back of the net. Boo makes the players around him better and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to help his team win. He is a great character guy and has been described as "one of the best skaters to come through prep school hockey In the seven years he has been there" by his former Kent High School head coach- Matt Herr.

Having said all that, whoever takes Nieves will have to be patient as he is already committed to a very good Michigan University program. It also worth noting that his rights are held by the OHL's Niagra Ice Dogs. Although he will have a better chance to work on his physical game in the NCAA, playing for a potential memorial cup winner isn't a bad backup option.

He is still very RAW at this point and for all of his strengths, he still has a lot to learn. Proving he can develop his game against bigger and stronger players will definitely be a challenge. I also wouldn't underestimate having a friend like JVR in Philadelphia to turn to for advice.

44. Malcom Subban: LH Goaltender
Height: 6'2" Weight: 188lbs
Born: December 21st, 1993
Birthplace: Rexdale, Ontario
Belleville Bulls (OHL): 39GP 2.50GAA, 0.923S%
NHL Comparable: Henrik Lundqvist / Marc-André Fleury
Projection: Franchise Goaltender
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny:
Malcom is an extremely athletic butterfly style goaltender that follows the play very well. He can read defenders and position himself accordingly. His mix of positional play and athleticism makes him a very intriguing prospect. When he plays he is arguably the best goaltender in the draft and it shows with his 0.930 save percentage. In addition to save percentage he has a respectable 2.500 GAA and has won 25 games while only losing 14 playing for the Bulls. That is, when he is healthy.

Subban has already suffered groin and ankle injuries already this early in his career. Anytime you hear about a goaltender with injuries or agility issues at a young age, it's alarming to say the least. Another red flag is the inexperience that Malcom Subban has. He started much later than most prospects at the age of 12. He has done a lot in the 6 years between the pipes and has obviously developed quicker than most goaltenders. Still, he has a long road ahead of him in terms of development. He is still a project at this point and definitely has scouts divided. He has had a lot of ups and downs thus far and a very risky pick for someone looking in the first round. Malcom isn't as polished as other goaltenders and needs time to develop. Still, his high ceiling is very attractive to several teams.

Finally, those who are expecting a PK clone will be very disappointed. He has a much different personality. Malcom is very sound positionally and has an active stick. He doesn't give you a whole lot to shoot at and has the ability to make unbelieveable saves. He has accumulated a lot fans and will continue to represent his country. I wouldn't be surprised if someone with two first round picks takes a flyer on him. Very high risk/reward player.

45. Gemel Smith: Center
Height: 5'11" Weight: 161lbs
Born: April 16th, 1994
Birthplace: Toronto, ON
Owen Sound Attack (OHL): 68GP 21G 39A 60P, +9, 51PIM
NHL Comparable: Brad Marchand / Daniel Briere
Projection: Top Six Winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
It's not hard to become a fan of the explosive, offensive, and elusive Gemel Smith. Smith is a crafty center that can ignite any team. He has exceptional wheels that allow him to blow past defenders and excellent vision that allows him to find the open man and make the guys around him better. He is almost impossible to strip of the puck and makes you pay with his slick and underrated shot. Obviously teams have to be aware of Smith when he is on the ice because he consistently uses his offensive instincts to his advantage. All the while, he plays a 300 foot game and is defensively reliable.

Unfortunately, what Smith makes up for in heart and character he lacks in size. He is incredibly tenacious and energetic but has had a lot of problems playing against bigger, stronger defencemen in the OHL. Smith can never force himself to grow but if anyone in this draft class were to use his small stature as an advantage and not a weakness, it's Smith. He is so good positionally, so elusive and so hard to knock off the puck; I don't see Smith being held out of the NHL. His penalty killing ability alone should warrant some NHL icetime.

In his second full OHL season, Smith has put up more than respectable numbers. They arne't outstanding numbers but they are respectable. He has had to battle his way up the depth chart so his totals aren't as high as a player that has consistenly seen first line ice-time. With this in mind, he is only third on his team in scoring and as a smaller player that usually isn't a great sign. I definitely think Smith has it in him to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level with the way he plays the game. Taking a smaller player is always a risk but Smith brings so many other attributes to his game that most smaller skilled forwards lack.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:50 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

DIO you truly are a star

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:57 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
DIO you truly are a star
Lol thanks, that's some high praise. I would be really stoked of McCabe or Smith slipped to us in the third. It would be sweet to see a Schultz-McCabe pairing in the future.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
McDoused

Also, I was listening to the pipelineshow today and they brought up an interesting statistic for my boy Dumba. He has scored in every single one of Canada's games at the U-18's thus far. That's an impressive stat for any dman.

Old
04-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Oilers4life1987

2012 Europeen picks

Teravainen, Hertl, Fadska, colberg. Would any of these guys be a good fit for the Oilers. I overheard that both Teravainen and Hertl are the closest to offensive goal scorers as Yakupov. Id try and get another 1st rounder and draft

Hertl/ Murray
Teravainen/Reinhart

Old
04-21-2012, 04:10 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Lol thanks, that's some high praise. I would be really stoked of McCabe or Smith slipped to us in the third. It would be sweet to see a Schultz-McCabe pairing in the future.
McCabe looks like he would be a great pick in the third, as would my draft crush this year Calle Andersson. Be great if we could get both of them.

Where do you think Cody Corbett goes?

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Oilers4life1987

Also apparently teravainen is better than granlund at his age which says a lot plus hes taller and still cud grow an inch or two. For Hertl, i heard he has very good skill and isnt afraid to hit. Only thing is hes footspeed but he can work on that

Old
04-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Pointteen

IF you have the ability to draft Yakupov, you draft Yakupov. Yes he's that good. Yes he'll be here for awhile. He wants to be.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Panda Bear

Pointteen, we're talking about players whom we could acquire with another first-round pick.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
hfboardsuser

I hope the Oilers find a way to select this kid. He's going to be a special player.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Pointteen, we're talking about players whom we could acquire with another first-round pick.
Seemed like he wanted to grab Murray with the first overall.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote