HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DousedInOil's 5th Annual Draft Ranking (AKA "Official Draft Thread: Part VIII")

View Poll Results: Who should the Oilers choose with their 2nd round pick?
Ludvig Bystrom 4 2.80%
Jordan Schmaltz 1 0.70%
Dalton Thrower 31 21.68%
Ville Pokka 1 0.70%
Stefan Matteau 0 0%
Tanner Pearson 2 1.40%
Jarrod Maidens 1 0.70%
Daniil Zharkov 0 0%
Tom Wilson 14 9.79%
Colton Sissons 2 1.40%
Henrik Samuelsson 62 43.36%
Scott Laughton 6 4.20%
Scott Komaschuk 0 0%
Cristoval Nieves 0 0%
Tim Bozon 2 1.40%
Malcolm Subban 13 9.09%
Oscar Dansk 4 2.80%
Other - List below in comments 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Oilers4life1987

vCash: 500
I wudnt mind getting Hertl, Teravainen

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
RobNWT

Realistically, who do you guys think we take with our second round pick?

The rankings are so varied right now, that it's pretty tough to imagine who could be available. Some people have Hampus Lindholm in their top 10, others don't even have him in their top 40. Slater Koekkoek is another one who's ranking seems to vary greatly.

I'm thinking the Oilers will either draft one of the remaining defensemen (Lindholm, Koekkoek, Byström, Thrower or Severson?) or might be tempted to take one of the top 3 goalies (Vasilevski, Subban or Dansk) if they remain on the board. I also wouldn't mind if they used either of their 3rd round picks on goalies Matthew Murray or Brandon Whitney.

Thoughts?

RobNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
It's really tough to say right now since it probably depends on who drops.

I'm sure they've got their eyes on guys like Dalton Thrower and Henrik Samuelsson, but I'm not sure they'll be there at our second pick.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 67
Thoughts on Adam Pelech?

His U18 play, he has really impressed.

Playing in a terrible season with Erie. 6'2 Dman

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I hope the Oilers find a way to select this kid. He's going to be a special player.
A bonus is that he will probably be a teammate of Klefbom next season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:12 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I hope the Oilers find a way to select this kid. He's going to be a special player.
Shhhhhh I don't want anyone else to know about him I drafted him in our mock draft.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

I know Seth Jones isn't up until next year, but I look at that kid, he's the captain, the way he skates, how confident he plays, his size. He looks like what you'd expect a future Hall of Famer to look like. I think he'll be that good.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Dansk isn't inspiring a ton of confidence so far.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I know Seth Jones isn't up until next year, but I look at that kid, he's the captain, the way he skates, how confident he plays, his size. He looks like what you'd expect a future Hall of Famer to look like. I think he'll be that good.
Don't know about future HOF'r but looks like a man amongst boys at this level. Very dominant. Will be very interesting between him and McKinnon for #1 in 2013.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If only he was two months younger. He could be an Oiler.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If only he was two months younger. He could be an Oiler.
That would be a hell of a conversation Yakupov v. Jones. I would take Jones, but that would be quite the decision.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Skm

Obviously it's just one showing and therefore an incredibly small sample size but a few observations from the Oil Kings game last night:

-Reinhart was impressive. Skates very well for a big guy and I was surprised at his decision making with the puck, made a few real nice breakout passes. Mostly uses good positioning to defend but had a couple of good hits too. Someone will be getting a good one around the 10th pick.

-Probably unfair due to his limited time back but I wasn't too impressed with Rielly. Yeah he skates like the wind but he skated the puck into traffic and turned it over several times and was outworked along the boards and behind the net in his own zone quite a bit. That being said, it's probably not the easiest to be dropped into the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs against a powerhouse team after being off for 4-5 months.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:43 AM
doubledown99

Haven't seen this posted in the Oilers section yet......here is the latest from Red Line.

Woodlief indicates drop off after Yakupov;

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/54474130/1

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Obviously it's just one showing and therefore an incredibly small sample size but a few observations from the Oil Kings game last night:

-Reinhart was impressive. Skates very well for a big guy and I was surprised at his decision making with the puck, made a few real nice breakout passes. Mostly uses good positioning to defend but had a couple of good hits too. Someone will be getting a good one around the 10th pick.

-Probably unfair due to his limited time back but I wasn't too impressed with Rielly. Yeah he skates like the wind but he skated the puck into traffic and turned it over several times and was outworked along the boards and behind the net in his own zone quite a bit. That being said, it's probably not the easiest to be dropped into the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs against a powerhouse team after being off for 4-5 months.
When Edmonton played MooseJaw earlier in the year, Rielly looked a lot better than Reinhart. I mean, I don't want to harp on Griffin but they guy only has 4 points thus far in the playoffs. Thats only 1 more point than Cody Corbett and behind Martin Gernat, Keegan Lowe and Mark Pysyk in scoring from the Oil Kings during the playoffs. History has shown that defensive defencemen taken in the top 10 generally don't pan out as well as they should.

5th Overall: Karl Alzner
5th Overall: Luke Schenn
9th Overall: Jared Cowen
10th Overall: Keaton Ellerby
10th Overall: Dylan McIlrath

Defensive defenceman in that 5-10 range generally don't turn out as well as other higher skilled guys. I think people are just more comfortable with him because of his size and the fact that they have seen him play more.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Spawn

I was very impressed by Samuelsson tonight with the Oil Kings. Obviously only having seen him once I cant say absolutely lets draft him. But he seems like a really strong player out there. Had a shift right at the end where he beat out 3 or 4 players on the Warriors to kill off about 15-20 seconds in the final minute and 1/2. If he's there at 32, I'm on board haha.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I was very impressed by Samuelsson tonight with the Oil Kings. Obviously only having seen him once I cant say absolutely lets draft him. But he seems like a really strong player out there. Had a shift right at the end where he beat out 3 or 4 players on the Warriors to kill off about 15-20 seconds in the final minute and 1/2. If he's there at 32, I'm on board haha.
Me too. I've been watching him since the playoffs started. He is a gamer.

He will get into the traffic and tough area to make plays. Very nifty stick handling and passing in tight areas. Loves to draw opponent to him and then feed open teammates.

Getting hit or even hammered doesn't bother him, he will continue to go back into the traffic and bait you to hit him so he can make play to a wide open teammate.

There are skilled players that can play at the highest effectiveness on open ice, but then they'll be 50% less effective or even worse when playing in the traffic or in a tough physical checking game. On the other hand, Samuelsson, who seems to possess good but not super star skills, excelled at playing in traffic and rough playoffs style hockey.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
McDoused

Keeping all the draft junkies at bay with a few more profiles:

46. Damon Severson: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'2" Weight: 200lbs
Born: August 7th, 1994
Birthplace: Melville, SK
Kelowna Rockets (WHL): 56GP 7G 30A 37P, +6, 80PIM
NHL Comparable: Johnny Boychuk
Projection: Top Four Defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
I'm probably going to get jumped on for having Damon Severson ranked ahead of teammate Colton Sissons, but let me remind you of a few things first. First, Severson is almost a full year younger with a birthday in August. Second, he has almost put up as many points as a defenceman in fewer games. Third, his plus-minus was much better and the best amonst all Kelowna defencemen. Finally, he continues to develop at a much steeper curve and even warranted a spot on Canada's U-18 team. Considering he was playing house league during his Bantam draft year, he has pretty much come out of nowhere.

Severson is a big defenceman that usually plays a very steady and safe game but still has some offensive potential to his game. He makes a good first outlet pass and can really hammer the puck with his slapshot but is never going to be a slick puck rusher or an offensive stud at the NHL level. Damon can log a ton of minutes and looks good doing so. He is suprisingly mobile for a big guy but is still very raw at this point.

The biggest knock that most people have on Severson is that he doesn't really stand out despite his big frame. He isn't going to wow you on any given night but when you look up at the scoresheet you see that he has produced offensively while allowing very little for opposing teams. If he was a forward, that reasoning would be valid, but considering he is a defenceman I don't mind that he isn't noticeable every single night. I think anyone taking Severson in the first will have a project but if he lasts to the middle of the second round he could be an absolute steal much like former Rockets Defencemen Shea Weber and Duncan Keith.

47. Colton Sissons: RH Center
Height: 6'1" Weight: 189lbs
Born: November 5th, 1993
Birthplace: Vancouver, BC
Kelowna Rockets (WHL): 58GP 26G 15A 41P, -13, 62PIM
NHL Comparable: Ryan Kesler / Mike Richards
Projection: Second Line Center
Fun Fact: Has played with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Quote:
The Skinny:
It pains me to have Sissons so low on my list, but offensively I just don't see him being as good as some scouts suggest. I mean, he has the potential to be that great two-way centerman that has basically come out of nowhere and is a feel good story behind it. Having said that, he has failed to produce more than he did last year and projects to be more of a shutdown centerman than a two-way center. I don't get how people can compare him to Mike Richards when Richards put up 87 points in his draft year. He plays the same way but doesn't have the offensive instincts to become an "elite" player.

Now that I got that out of my way, you can't help but fall in love with the kid the more you watch him. He is a great character kid that deserved to wear the "C" for the Kelowna Rockets this year. He is very intelligent on the ice and leads by example each and every night. He plays hard and battles in front of the net. Colton has a great work ethic and will be a good trooper for any NHL team looking to add a depth guy. Sissons can play the body and has shown an edge in his game at times. He plays the powerforward game that teams are looking for and at this point projects to be a relatively safe pick but probably projects to be a third line center on a good team.

Another thing that worries scouts is his first couple of steps and footspeed. He doesn't have a bad set of wheels but will need to work on his speed in order to make the next level. Sissons also has a fairly weak plus/minus and relatively low assist totals. I don't see these as huge question marks given that he is always matched up against other teams top lines and doesn't usually have the option of using his linemates to the best of his advantage.

48. Calle Andersson: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'1" Weight: 201lbs
Born: May 16th, 1994
Birthplace: Limhamn, SWE
Färjestad J20 (SuperElit): 49GP 12G 24A 36P, 56PIM
NHL Comparable: Mike Green / Jonas Brodin
Quote:
The Skinny:
Probably one of the biggest sleepers of the draft is Färjestad's Calle Andersson. Playing alongside Ludvig Bystrom, Andersson has had the benefit of catching the eye of several NHL scouts. He is a smooth skating defender that reads the play extremely well and can do it all on the ice. Calle moves the puck with ease and can do so with forwards on the forecheck. He has exceptional gap control and gets his stick into passing lanes and can really help his team with the transition game.

Andersson also adds a great deal of character and emotion to the blueline and usually sparks his teams offensive and defensive game. He can throw a big hit, run a powerplay and tends to excel under big games. He can shoot the puck quickly through traffic and plays a tremendous all-around game. He definitely has that explosiveness in his game that allows him to dictate the game offensively but hasn't had a whole lot of opportunity to showcase his talent against older competition. Calle has a relatively late birthday and will only continue to get better. He is also playing behind a defensive group that features two of the best european defencemen in Oscar Klefbom and Jonas Brodin. Given Färjestad's history with defencemen, you would have to think that they know how to scout defencemen. He is an incredibly intelligent defender that could be an absolute steal in the later rounds.

49. Emil Lundberg: Left Winger
Height: 6'4" Weight: 209lbs
Born: September 17th, 1993
Birthplace: Katrineholm, SWE
Södertälje (Allsvenskan): 51GP 6G 12A 18P, +1, 12PIM
NHL Comparable: Johan Franzen
Projection: Top Nine Forward
Quote:
The Skinny:
As you can probably tell by now, I really like my Swedish players in the draft. I think that overall they have done an exceptional job focusing on individual skillsets over the past few years and will only continue to become an even better hockey nation over the next few years. Lundberg definitely fits the bill of being one of those Swedish sleepers that Detroit picks up and turns out to be one of the best prospects outside the NHL.

Emil is a big physical forwards that battles through checks and plays a gritty powerful game that can't go overlooked. He has outproduced Filip Forsberg thus far in the Allsvenskan and raised his game during the playoffs. Obviously he is older and has played a lot more minutes than Forsberg but he definitely deserves more credit. I don't want to suggest he will be as good as Forsberg but he is a good prospect in his own right. He is a versatile player that can play the powerplay, the penalty kill and play physical in order to spark his team. He is strong on the puck and can power through the opposition. He has historically been an offensive player for his respective teams and should be able to translate his offensive game to the SEL if he is given time to work on his game and play against better competition.

Lundberg still needs to work on his footspeed to keep up with smaller forwards and won't be able to rely so heavily on his power game at the next level. He is a very exciting prospect to keep an eye on and likely a player that is available in the third round at this years draft. I think he is just bursting with potential and likely a key character guy for many years to come. Lundber does all the little things that will help his team win and a great selection for any NHL team that drafts him in June. I think his early birthday has made a lot of scouts overlook him and could be passed over for wingers that are quicker, younger and more skilled.

50. Ville Pokka: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'0" Weight: 198lbs
Born: June 3rd, 1994
Birthplace: Tornio, FIN
Karpat (SM-liiga): 35GP 0G 3A 3P, -3, 12PIM
NHL Comparable: Anton Stralman
Quote:
The Skinny:
I know that the WJC is a very small sample size but I couldn't help but come away as a Ville Pokka fan after watching on the international ice. He was 6th amongst all defencemen in scoring despite not even being on the draft radar prior to the tournament.

He might not have the offensive numbers in the SM-liiga but has exceeded all expectations against players his own age. He is still learning the pro game and has yet to show off his explosiveness at the next level. Pokka is a great all around defenceman that has a dynamic quality about him that could see him taken early in the second round in June. He is still young and makes a great first pass. He is small for a defenceman by NHL standards, so he will need to bulk up in order to play against bigger forwards at the NHL level. Still, he is young and has continues to improve each time I see him.

Pokka has a lot of poise with the puck and is best known for his decision making. Ville has a wicked one-timer and always seems to be able to keep the puck in at the opposing blueline. He sees the ice exceptionally well and plays a puck position game that leads to a smart and positionally sound defensive game. He might not have the flashy offensive tools that scouts look for in the first round but he is capable of getting the job done.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
doubledown99

I know some of you are talking about Samuelsson.......with our 2nd rounder I want one of Thrower, Wilson or Laughton.

Laughton really caught my eye at the U-18's. Kid is gritty and displayed good offense. Could be perfect 2nd line centre in a few years. Any one of the three would provide some much needed toughness to our lineup. Thrower if he grows could really turn out to be a steal. Laughton if he keeps developing offense would be a gem. Ditto with Wilson

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I know some of you are talking about Samuelsson.......with our 2nd rounder I want one of Thrower, Wilson or Laughton.

Laughton really caught my eye at the U-18's. Kid is gritty and displayed good offense. Could be perfect 2nd line centre in a few years. Any one of the three would provide some much needed toughness to our lineup. Thrower if he grows could really turn out to be a steal. Laughton if he keeps developing offense would be a gem. Ditto with Wilson
Exactly I want this guy . If he falls to our pick we'd be crazy to pass him up. Another guy I'd like us to take with a later pick is Troy Donnay as an enforcer. Also use the 3rd on one of Whitney or Murray both have crazy potential and aren't as well known.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

So what's it going to cost us to trade up for Calle Andersson?

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

Good stuff again, Doused.

Just got The Hockey News' draft preview in the mail today. They have Lindholm and Bystrom at 15 and 19. I wonder if people will stop calling out Button on them now.

I really like their list. They have the OHL guys ranked pretty much exactly where I'd put them. Gaunce at 17, Finn at 18, Maatta at 20, etc.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:

Just got The Hockey News' draft preview in the mail today. They have Lindholm and Bystrom at 15 and 19. I wonder if people will stop calling out Button on them now.

I really like their list. They have the OHL guys ranked pretty much exactly where I'd put them. Gaunce at 17, Finn at 18, Maatta at 20, etc.
i'm too cheap to buy it....could you post it instead?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:57 PM
McDoused

Quote:

Thanks, I can't wait to see what THN has this year. I remember they had a man crush on Phillips last year. Anyone like that this year?

Old
04-26-2012, 08:08 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
i'm too cheap to buy it....could you post it instead?
You're not really supposed to post published lists because of the copyright rules. If there's any specific players you're interested in, I could tell you their ranking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Thanks, I can't wait to see what THN has this year. I remember they had a man crush on Phillips last year. Anyone like that this year?
Not really.

They like Forsberg(2) and Vasilevski(21) and it looks like they aren't fans of Frk(45), Subban(48) or Samuelsson(50), but that's as far they go for out of the ordinary.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Thanks for the additional rankings DIO. I have a tendency to not really follow the upcoming prospects outside of the top picks until around draft time, so these have helped paint a picture for sure.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote