HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Briere's blatant offside goal ruling question

Old
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
AaronTrieu

vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392947

Mr Campell is not happy. lol

AaronTrieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
7 seconds, and 3 or 4 player touches later... with basically every Flyer in the zone at that point as well.
4 seconds of shooter vs goalie.

Which is a bit more of a direct result?

The replay doesn't show the officials as far as I can tell, and from most descriptions at least the near one waved off the icing (while the back one had a hand up to indicate potential icing). So it's entirely possible it was a waved icing due to meeting one of the criteria that allowed it to be waved off. You can't see that from the replay posted here.

It's definitely not as black and white as how far offside Briere was.

Especially since there seemed to be little mention of it from analysts until it became a 'balancing' factor for the bad offsides call.
I'll repeat: if both are called correctly, neither scoring chance happens. Both goals happened in quick succession to the missed calls. Therefore, it seems reasonable to deduce that incorrect officiating decisions allowed each team to score a goal that should not have counted.

Let's try it this way:

No one disputes that the Briere call was wrong.

I have yet to see anyone offer a credible argument that that icing call was right. I've especially yet to see anyone make an argument that the icing should have been waved off when it did (which was at :02 / :03 in the video above--you can see the linesman come in from the blue-line waving his arms). In other words, it would have been understandable if the linesman made a mistake on who touched the puck first, but his mistake came much, much earlier.

If both calls were, both at the time and with the benefit of replay, obviously wrong, then why does it matter whether one goal happened 3 seconds sooner?

(Finally, if you don't think the icing call was noticed, take a look back at the Flyers GDT, or ask my wife about the reaction to the call--before the goal was cored. It was obvious at the time). The fact that TSN and co. haven't talked about it as much? I'll leave that to someone else to explain.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
The linesman waved that off..
If you want to be technical about this...the linesman waived off the offside as well.

In the answer the the first posters actual question, the reason it is non-reviewable is because they do not want to be reviewing every little thing that happens in a game. Should that slash be a penalty? Was that check actually a headshot? Where would it end with reviews if they started reviewing offsides?

They do not want games taking another 45 minutes because they need to review everything.

Yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kcin94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

Both blown calls,
The end.

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392947

Mr Campell is not happy. lol
To point out one officiating mistake and not the other is both egregious and characteristic of Campbell's incompetence.

EDIT: to expand--for the league to come out and acknowledge one mistake while not pointing out one that was at least as bad and consequential is odd. As I suggested on the last page, my main concern is the perception being perpetuated by TSN, and now by the NHL, that the Penguins were somehow "wronged" or unfairly disadvantaged by the balance of officiating last night. Intentional or not, it creates a bias among the officials to "make up" for the mistake later.

If Campbell was going to make a statement, he should have acknowledged both mistakes.

EDIT #2: Might I suggest that a MOD or OP edit the title of this thread--which, on balance, is more about the general officiating last night and two particular calls which were not reviewable.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-12-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
kcin94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
But I thought Uncle Gary was going to be putting in the fix for the Pens? What happened?
Campbell has already come out and said they are almost as mad as the Penguins.

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
BrindamoursNose

Shanahan should suspend the Flyers and the linesman.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If Campbell was going to make a statement, he should have acknowledged both mistakes.
It was a brutal error, but the NHL rarely (if ever?) calls out their refs in this fashion and fines the teams when they do the same. It's pathetic that Colin Campbell would come out and point how egregious one error was but say nothing about the other.

The NHL really should have been more passive in their response. Say something like: "We constantly review our referee'ing and will make changes as we see necessary. We always want our tremendous teams and players to be the story, not the manner in which a game is officiated." Instead, he points out one of many errors and then identifies with one of the teams..... Yeah, people wonder why there is a perception that the NHL protects the Pens lol.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:25 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Just like they can't review the icing on the Pens third goal. BOTH team got away with one.
While I agree with the fact that Pittsburgh had plenty of time/chances to regain the lead and win, in my opinion this blown call was way more important. Pittsburgh was up 2-0 and then went up 3-0. They already had the momentum and it just increased for the Pens. The 3-1 goal swung the momentum in Philly's favour (and they never looked back).

While I agree both were bad calls, I think the Pens bad call was slightly more important, not that I'd blame the loss on that call. Philly worked them after that goal.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Human error is part of the game. If this was in favor of your team you wouldn't gave made this thread. Things happen. Suck it up.
If it happened in favor of the Pens there would have been 5 threads made and it'd already be on part 2 by now with everyone whining that the league favors the Pens.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
While I agree with the fact that Pittsburgh had plenty of time/chances to regain the lead and win, in my opinion this blown call was way more important. Pittsburgh was up 2-0 and then went up 3-0. They already had the momentum and it just increased for the Pens. The 3-1 goal swung the momentum in Philly's favour (and they never looked back).

While I agree both were bad calls, I think the Pens bad call was slightly more important, not that I'd blame the loss on that call. Philly worked them after that goal.
Don't see it. Sorry. I think that the 3-0 lead going into the intermission could have been deflating.

Mostly, though, it is all so speculative. Two blown calls led to two bad goals--one for each team. The NHL has decided to elevate one of those mistakes while ignoring the other. Go figure.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
It was a brutal error, but the NHL rarely (if ever?) calls out their refs in this fashion and fines the teams when they do the same. It's pathetic that Colin Campbell would come out and point how egregious one error was but say nothing about the other.

The NHL really should have been more passive in their response. Say something like: "We constantly review our referee'ing and will make changes as we see necessary. We always want our tremendous teams and players to be the story, not the manner in which a game is officiated." Instead, he points out one of many errors and then identifies with one of the teams..... Yeah, people wonder why there is a perception that the NHL protects the Pens lol.
The NHL does call out their officials if they make blatant errors, but I agree not often.

I think part of the reason it is easier to do so is because of the way Bylsma handled it. If he comes out of the game like a lunatic, raving about how there is a league-wide conspiracy against his team, the NHL has no choice but to stay quiet or even fine him.

People want everything cut-and-dried with the NHL, but that's not how things work. Fair is not always equal.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
If it happened in favor of the Pens there would have been 5 threads made and it'd already be on part 2 by now with everyone whining that the league favors the Pens.
...one did happen in favor of the Penguins. No sign of a thread on it. Perhaps that should tell you something?

Old
04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
The NHL does call out their officials if they make blatant errors, but I agree not often.

I think part of the reason it is easier to do so is because of the way Bylsma handled it. If he comes out of the game like a lunatic, raving about how there is a league-wide conspiracy against his team, the NHL has no choice but to stay quiet or even fine him.

People want everything cut-and-dried with the NHL, but that's not how things work. Fair is not always equal.
If Bylsma said that they might haul him off to a looney bin because there's CEARLY no league-wide conspiracy AGAINST his team.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Most nights in the league, you'll see a half dozen or more blown off sides calls. It happens all the time, literally all the time. Yes, it resulted in a goal, possibly changed the outcome of a game, I know all that, but the fact remains that a blown offsides call isn't unusual in the least.

I feel for Pitt fans, but your team blew a 3 goal lead, and after watching the whole game, I can't say the refs are to blame.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
If Bylsma said that they might haul him off to a looney bin because there's CEARLY no league-wide conspiracy AGAINST his team.
I agree. Nor is there for or against any team.

Which makes the insanity of all the conspiracy theorists all the more frightening.

Mistakes happen. Move on.

To me, as a Crosby fan but not strictly a Pens fan, the overload of posts we are seeing from Pens' fans right now is a response to the insanity that has taken over the boards these past few days.

Hopefully, this incident will give everyone a bit more perspective (NHL coaches and commentators included), and realize that the game is about what takes place on the ice, not what any coach, media persona, or message board fanboy says.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
thelos
Bunk

Campbell should have kept quiet. Looks bad in light of the Torts fine and recent Pitt related events

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Clearly should have been called offside. Pens got screwed.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Bryzard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Philly worked them from the time the puck dropped to start the second period until Staal took a nap and let Jake end it.

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Most nights in the league, you'll see a half dozen or more blown off sides calls. It happens all the time, literally all the time. Yes, it resulted in a goal, possibly changed the outcome of a game, I know all that, but the fact remains that a blown offsides call isn't unusual in the least.

I feel for Pitt fans, but your team blew a 3 goal lead, and after watching the whole game, I can't say the refs are to blame.
Pens fan and I agree. While the goal may have swung the momentum, giving up a 3-0 lead (or 3-1 after the goal) is ridiculous and this one call doesn't justify the loss. The Pens gave up and Philly stepped up. Simple as that.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
no1b4me

Anyone have a link to colon's opinion on the badly blown call when clowe played the puck while sitting on the bench a few days ago? I can't seem to find it.
He should just shut-up.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
The problem is that one linesman was saying Icing and then the other on decided at the last minute to call it off
The back ref raises his hand on all plays that could be icing to indicate to the front ref that the puck was fired by the defensive team behind the red line. The front ref then has to watch the play and decide if it should be an icing or if he should waive it off. The front ref waived it off and the Flyers lost the puck battle, which ended up in a Pens goal.

NBC didn't show the icing again but I'm assuming that it either hit the Flyer by the boards in the neutral zone or he felt that the Flyer could have touched the puck.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Pens fan and I agree. While the goal may have swung the momentum, giving up a 3-0 lead (or 3-1 after the goal) is ridiculous and this one call doesn't justify the loss. The Pens gave up and Philly stepped up. Simple as that.
and the smart $ is still on Pitt imo.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
The back ref raises his hand on all plays that could be icing to indicate to the front ref that the puck was fired by the defensive team behind the red line. The front ref then has to watch the play and decide if it should be an icing or if he should waive it off. The front ref waived it off and the Flyers lost the puck battle, which ended up in a Pens goal.

NBC didn't show the icing again but I'm assuming that it either hit the Flyer by the boards in the neutral zone or he felt that the Flyer could have touched the puck.
Check the video above. Neither could logically be the case.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
This proves my theory.. The NHL, officials and all other fans are against us.. We love your tears. We have the top 2 players in the NHL, a future multiple Norris winner in Letang, a future Selke winner in Staal and future Vezina in MAF and a few Richards by Crosby, Malkin and Neal.
Awww look! It thinks it's the best at everything.

If flower wins a vezina, i'll eat my own shoe.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote