HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

InfinityIggy's 2012 Mock Draft

Old
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
InfinityIggy's 2012 Mock Draft

1. - Nail Yakupov (RW)

(Even though they need a top-pairing D-man there is no way you can pass up a guy who has been compared to Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, Oilers take the BPA.)

2. - Mikhail Grigorenko (C/RW)

(Despite losing out on the 1st overall pick and Yakupov, the Jackets now have a chance to draft a future #1 Center for their team. Grigorenko is largely seen as the 2nd best forward in the draft, and Columbus takes him.)

3. - Alex Galchenyuk (C)

(Montreal had been hopeful prior the the Draft lottery that Edmonton would end up picking 2nd, allowing Grigorenko to fall to them with Edmonton taking a D-Man. With that plan having fallen through Montreal opts for the next best thing with Galchenyuk. Had he not been injured this year he may have been ranked ahead of Grigorenko and possibly even Yakupov.)

4. - Ryan Murray (D)

(The 1st D-man in the draft falls to the Islanders, who are very happy. The Islanders should be looking to pick up a D-Man this year as they have plenty of talent up front, which an aging and low-skill backend. Murray is the best D-man in the draft and the Isle's are lucky to nab him.)

5. - Radek Faksa (C)

(The Leafs will be looking to take Galchenyuk this year, but since he is gone by now, they take the next best center in the draft. A bit of a reach at 5 but he fills the needs of a Leafs team which already has a solid young backend.)

6. - Morgan Rielly (D)

(Anahiem opts for the one of the best D-men in the draft. Having a strong forward core with young guns like Etem coming up next year, they add a solid D prospect to play with the young Fowler and Sbisa. With so many good d-men in and around this pick they could easily take Dumba, Trouba or Reinhart as well.)

7. - Mathew Dumba (D)

(Arguably the 2nd best D-man in the draft, if with a few question marks. Minnesota has Granlund and Coyle (forwards) ready to come up next year so Minnesota decides to work on their backend with a great pick in Dumba who will play with Brodin once he is developed.)

8. - Filip Forsberg (LW)

(With their d-prospect cupboard looking good, Carolina is extremely lucky to select the best LW in the draft in Filip Forsberg. Carolina make out like bandits with this pick.)

9. - Teuvo Teravainen (LW)

(The 2nd ultra-skilled LW in this draft class has been compared to Selanne by some, but thats not why the Jets draft him. With a strong looking D-core and with Schiefele coming up in center, Winnipeg looks to add a top flight winger. Passing over some of the very skilled D-men left in the draft in the process, this is a high risk/high reward pick.)

10. - Jacob Trouba (D)

(In what could be a huge steal, the Lightning take Trouba (a top 5 pick according to many) who will help build their D-core. They are fairly well set at forward positions and any forwards at this point are a reach with Faska and Teravainen off the board. Tampa gets a fantastic d-men in a very D-Deep draft.)

11. (From Colorado) - Griffen Reinhart (D)

(The Caps' are fairly well stocked at each position allowing them to take the BPA who is available to them, which is why they select Griffen Reinhart with their pick, another D-man who has slipped in this draft, could be a steal at 11.)

12. - Brendan Gaunce (C)

(Flush with young D-prospects, the Sabres reach a little bit and select Gaunce to be their new top C prospect. Gaunce has some decent upside and could end up being a top-6 center.)

13. - Zemgus Girgensons (C)

(Possibly the weirdest name in the draft, the Stars reach (roughly 6 spots) to pick up Zegmus. Without a decent center prospect in sight and flush with D and Wingers in their cupboards the Stars hope to add a future top-6 center to their organization.)

14. - Cody Ceci (D)

(With the Flames forced to wait for the Top 15 to be picked clean, they have few realistic options for remaining with their pick. The best of these remaining options is Cody Ceci, although he is drafted lower than the likes of Reinhart, Trouba and Dumba make no mistake, he has a similar ceiling. Perhaps the most overlooked D-man in this draft the Flames pick up a good D-prospect to fill a bare looking cupboard.)

15-30 Coming after Playoffs as well as a 1-14 Update if needed.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Gotta preface this by saying obviously I don't know for sure...but if I was gambling on one guy the Ducks WON'T pick it's Morgan Rielly.

With Fowler and Vatanen, maybe even Schultz...Rielly is beyond redundant. Anaheim's biggest issue on their blueline is the defensemen are too involved in the offense and get caught defensively, and along the boards, they're out-muscled too easily. Rielly does nothing but add another of what we've already got. Trouba, Dumba, Reinhart, or even Forsberg there.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:11 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Gotta preface this by saying obviously I don't know for sure...but if I was gambling on one guy the Ducks WON'T pick it's Morgan Rielly.

With Fowler and Vatanen, maybe even Schultz...Rielly is beyond redundant. Anaheim's biggest issue on their blueline is the defensemen are too involved in the offense and get caught defensively, and along the boards, they're out-muscled too easily. Rielly does nothing but add another of what we've already got. Trouba, Dumba, Reinhart, or even Forsberg there.
Cool, I will be updating this often, so thanks for the info EDIT: If you note the pick description I said they might also take Trouba, Dumba or Reinhart.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Cool, I will be updating this often, so thanks for the info EDIT: If you note the pick description I said they might also take Trouba, Dumba or Reinhart.
I did. I'm just saying it's best to assume that in that group of 4, Rielly would probabl be the last guy taken.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:34 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I'll be reacting with a "ehhhh" if the Leafs do reach and take Faksa at 5. Would rather the Leafs just take Forsberg in this case. Besides the whole concussion ending his season just makes me worried about it. Not an unreasonable pick, I'm just uneasy about it.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:42 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'll be reacting with a "ehhhh" if the Leafs do reach and take Faksa at 5. Would rather the Leafs just take Forsberg in this case. Besides the whole concussion ending his season just makes me worried about it. Not an unreasonable pick, I'm just uneasy about it.
I agree with what you're saying. Bit of a high risk-high reward pick though no?

Old
04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

vCash: 500
Absolutely no chance Leafs pass on Forsberg for Faksa. You don't draft for need in the top 5, especially when Forsberg has C/W duality.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Leafs03

why would leafs pass forsberg for faksa ? LOL help.....

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:04 AM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I agree with what you're saying. Bit of a high risk-high reward pick though no?
Not really since Faksa likely doesn't have the offensive upside to be a #1 center in the NHL. He strikes me as more of a "safe" 2nd line two-way center who averages around 50 points per season. I think even if the Leafs took Faksa they would still need to find a legitimate 1st line center so it would be kind of a waste of a top 5 pick.

As much as Toronto needs a star center they also simply need more size and high-end skill at all positions, and Forsberg would give them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Absolutely no chance Leafs pass on Forsberg for Faksa. You don't draft for need in the top 5, especially when Forsberg has C/W duality.
I wouldn't say there is "no chance" they take Faksa over Forsberg since it has already been reported that Faksa is one of the players the Leafs had the most interest in but it is unlikely, especially after his concussion.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:38 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

While Faksa is a guy that would be a terrific fit for the Leafs going forward, I can't imagine Burke and co passing on Forsberg for him. The team needs a center, but at this point, they should and will take the best forward available.

04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
catters078

i think your correct with your dallas pick.

IMO this is what dallas will try to do.

1) hope Faks or Gaunce falls to 13
2) see if they can trade up to 8 or 9 to get Faksa if it appears they cant get him at 13
3) stand pat and draft Girgensons if trading up isnt an option
4) Draft ceci at 13 if hes available
5) Trade down 3-4 spots to get more assets and hope Girgensons is still there.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote