HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So my dad came up with a theory

Old
04-14-2012, 09:21 AM
laundryman

vCash: 500
So my dad came up with a theory

Could the Flyers purposely be holding back during the 1st period? They haven't scored first in god knows how many games. Maybe they said to themselves in the regular season "Okay, we know we will make the playoffs, let's come up with a strategy"

It seems like they're sitting back and almost letting the other team wear themselves out and using all of their energy in the 2nd and 3rd when the other tesm is tired. In the 3rd period, they clearly have a kick in their step that no one else has.

I don't know, just a theory that's fun to think about

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
JVR21
G

No team employs a strategy of giving the other team the advantage and letting them score.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:27 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Well, Laviolette may have problems with his temper but he is no complete maniac.

Conserving your energy sounds good, but after you are down 2 to 3 goals you have to use it up anyway and most likely even more.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:34 AM
jagrgodr

i would say no just simply based on all his time outs he has used within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Although i love watching games when the team i am rooting for is down. It's just so fun watching comebacks and it's super boring watching a team sit on a lead playing defensive hockey. Defensive hockey is absolutely boring, forcing the other team to constantly dump the puck.

If we beat the pens and go against the Rangers, this strategy doesn't work. You don't want to let the rangers sit on a lead, because they will destroy you. We HAVE to score first against the rangers and make them try to play catch up, making their defenders pinch like we do. If the rangers score the first couple we are ****ED

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Xegiie

guess Lavi pissed to the roof is the part of strategy?

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
DrHamburg

haha i hope not, although am I the only one who notices that when the Pens score its as if they just won the stanley cup on every goal? It is like every goal they score is the game winner, it seems ridiculous.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Mgkibbles

I highly doubt that'd be a strategy. Pittsburgh is tired in the 2nd and 3rd because they don't have the speed to match the Flyers. The Pens have only a handful of good skaters, and the Flyers have only a handful of poor skaters; Plus the Flyers have done a great job turning these games into track matches.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:02 AM
mibro0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
haha i hope not, although am I the only one who notices that when the Pens score its as if they just won the stanley cup on every goal? It is like every goal they score is the game winner, it seems ridiculous.
Love this.

mibro0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Jtown

[/LEFT][/LEFT]Our dominance in the third is a reflection of our depth. I mean when jvr comes back we will be rolling out 4 legit scoring lines. NO team can compete with that. Teams these days are designed to negate your top two lines with a good top 4. But no team can stop another team if they are rolling out 4 scoring lines.

That is why I think the Rangers own us, because they have 4 defense man that can play the whole game, and their forwards are all responsible on defense.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:01 PM
phlocky

Of course this is what we are doing. I can't wait until we face the Rangers later in the playoffs as this stratagy has worked so well against them all season lol.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
ICAPNASTYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Of course this is what we are doing. I can't wait until we face the Rangers later in the playoffs as this stratagy has worked so well against them all season lol.
What's funny about this is we had a 2-0 lead against them in the Winter Classic, blew a lead and the Rangers scored 3 unanswered. Yet we've basically been doing the exact opposite of that ever since then.

EDIT: In fact, if I remember correctly that's the ONLY time we've blown a game after having 2-0 lead over a team all season. WEIRD stat is WEIRD.

Last edited by ICAPNASTYI: 04-15-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: adding point
ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibro0224 View Post
Love this.
am i the only one who notices that

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

let the other team score several goals then after they've tired themselves out by scoring so many goals you start the comeback. Worst...plan...ever

in all seriousness, i highly doubt anybody would ever do that

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:41 PM
fauxflex

The best thing I can come up with is they go into the start of the game with a gameplan of primarily staying disciplined defensively to avoid giving up that first goal and secondarily to push the play...it seems only after giving up a goal or two that they kind of switch that around, and play with a fire under their a$$ offensively, which often results in offensive output but can also detract from defensive discipline. They have to find a way to get that offensive push from the start, without getting too far away from defense awareness that they give up good scoring chances. Just gotta go out from the start and dictate...push the play and press with strong forecheck, keep the play in the opponent's zone...easier said than done.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
dats81

Well, such insights are normally hidden on the ground of a glass of single malt but I suppose this theory is as good as any other at that point

At least more encouraging than the idea that Lavi hasn't found a way to get his team going out of the gates yet.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote