HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back to 40 Goal Level for Cammy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2012, 02:21 AM
  #1
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,141
vCash: 500
Back to 40 Goal Level for Cammy?

More of an off-season thread really but specifically for Cammy.

Hes still in his prime and has added two way play (kinda) to his skillset.

So what do we need in the off-season to bring him back to 40 goal form? Put him back to the wing and use someone else in the middle? Or can he do it from the pivot position?

Theoretically IF Iginla is moved, can you guys see Cammy staying here long term? He should still have a good 5-6 years in the tank really, enough to see him through a rebuild of sorts.

I keep thinking that if him and Baertschi play together, it'd be nice. Baertschi plays real well with a sniper type (Rattie says hello), I think him and Cammy would be a nice fit really. Add a guy like Reinhart or a tooth and nail guy on the RW that can skate and that could look like a solid line.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:27 AM
  #2
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
More of an off-season thread really but specifically for Cammy.

Hes still in his prime and has added two way play (kinda) to his skillset.

So what do we need in the off-season to bring him back to 40 goal form? Put him back to the wing and use someone else in the middle? Or can he do it from the pivot position?

Theoretically IF Iginla is moved, can you guys see Cammy staying here long term? He should still have a good 5-6 years in the tank really, enough to see him through a rebuild of sorts.

I keep thinking that if him and Baertschi play together, it'd be nice. Baertschi plays real well with a sniper type (Rattie says hello), I think him and Cammy would be a nice fit really. Add a guy like Reinhart or a tooth and nail guy on the RW that can skate and that could look like a solid line.
I was thinking about Cammalleri earlier and I am really torn on whether to make him center or keep him at wing. Unfortunately I think if Jokinen leaves we have zero choice and have to move him to center as there is no one on the market that can fill Jokinen's shoes.

I liked how Cammy looked with Aliu the last couple games, Aliu's style of game seemed to energize Cammalleri and it worked out well and I would not be opposed to putting them together next year on a 2b line, the line could have Stajan (like in the last 2 games), or if Cammy is moved to the middle Baertschi could flank them on the left side (Baertschi - Stajan - Aliu is another line that crosses my mind as potentially effective). Lots of options I guess.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:36 AM
  #3
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,141
vCash: 500
If you are going to put Cammy and Bart together, you need a big energy presence to make room for them. I'm not sure if Aliu can do that over an entire season.

On the other hand if we made a play for someone like Gaustad, we could line up Cammy and Bart on the wings and have Gaustaud do the dirty work. I wouldn't put Stajan on this line as then the line would really lack strength and size.

Anyhow I do believe Cammy can get back to 40 goal form and I think the club moving forward, needs him to get back to that form.

I'm actually hesistant to say but even someone like Stoll I think could serve that purpose...


Last edited by tfong: 04-12-2012 at 02:42 AM.
tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:08 AM
  #4
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
If you are going to put Cammy and Bart together, you need a big energy presence to make room for them. I'm not sure if Aliu can do that over an entire season.

On the other hand if we made a play for someone like Gaustad, we could line up Cammy and Bart on the wings and have Gaustaud do the dirty work. I wouldn't put Stajan on this line as then the line would really lack strength and size.

Anyhow I do believe Cammy can get back to 40 goal form and I think the club moving forward, needs him to get back to that form.

I'm actually hesistant to say but even someone like Stoll I think could serve that purpose...
only way to find out with Aliu is give him a chance right? I wouldn't be opposed to Gaustad either but I really like the idea of giving Aliu a shot, how he played the last 2 games is what he has done for Abbotsford almost all year.

Also I would like to move Backlund to the wing, so I was also thinking of signing either Gaustad or Stoll and have him center Glencross and Backlund just to keep things spread out a little more.

A wild card in this whole thing is Comeau, if he is willing to take a paycut (to below 1.75 per) I wouldn't mind him flanking Cammy either

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 04:54 AM
  #5
Thumper17
Registered User
 
Thumper17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
I really think Tangs-Cammy-Iggy needs to be used sparingly, in the right situation it'd be awesome, but it's a very small line.

That said, Joker I like better as a No.2 center, but he did well this year.

So.

Tangs-Joker-Iggy
Glencross-Cammy-Stemps/Moss/Backlund/Baertschi/Etc.

Would be the way to go if we keep this team, and as crazy as it sounds, I think if we give this current team a full healthy start we'd be surprised. I know, giving this team another year to fool us, blah blah.

But I wouldnt mind if we fired the coach and kept this team intact maybe switching to a more offensive style of game since our team sucks at defense any way you cut it.

If it doesnt work out, firesale at the deadline when value is highest.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:23 AM
  #6
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
and then we are pushing either Stajan of Backlund out of the center position or down to the 4th line while making our team worse at faceoffs.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
  #7
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
At this point, I prefer Jokinen to be let go, and have a "real" 3rd line guy for faceoffs while letting Stajan and Backlund prove that they belong in the top 6.

On topic though, Cammy won't hit 40 again. I think he'll be damn close, but 40 is just a little far.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
  #8
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
only way to find out with Aliu is give him a chance right? I wouldn't be opposed to Gaustad either but I really like the idea of giving Aliu a shot, how he played the last 2 games is what he has done for Abbotsford almost all year.

Also I would like to move Backlund to the wing, so I was also thinking of signing either Gaustad or Stoll and have him center Glencross and Backlund just to keep things spread out a little more.

A wild card in this whole thing is Comeau, if he is willing to take a paycut (to below 1.75 per) I wouldn't mind him flanking Cammy either
God no to Comeau. Cammy deserves top six ice time, Comeau has proven this year that he doesn't.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:37 AM
  #9
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
God no to Comeau. Cammy deserves top six ice time, Comeau has proven this year that he doesn't.
Is that you Sanderman?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
  #10
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
God no to Comeau. Cammy deserves top six ice time, Comeau has proven this year that he doesn't.
seems you missed my point about having 3 scoring lines.

And I really think Comeau is being treated unfairly by many fans. He did nothing but create scoring chances in the last weeks of the season, he always worked hard, he was reliable defensively, he killed penalties and he hit. He did everything but score.

So the lines I am suggesting would be one of these

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Stoll - Backlund
Beartschi - Cammalleri - Aliu/Comeau

or
Tanguay - Stoll - Iginla
Cammalleri - Stajan - Aliu/Comeau
Baertschi - Backlund - Glencross

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
  #11
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 50
If we move Iggy Cammy will not come close to 40(I think 30 is realistic). Its not that he doesn't have the skill but the reason he was so good last time in Calgary was the fact that the defense had to respect Iggy's shot which usually left Cammy open. If we move Iggy and just use Cammy he then becomes the target and we don't have a secondary trigger man for him.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
  #12
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
seems you missed my point about having 3 scoring lines.

And I really think Comeau is being treated unfairly by many fans. He did nothing but create scoring chances in the last weeks of the season, he always worked hard, he was reliable defensively, he killed penalties and he hit. He did everything but score.

So the lines I am suggesting would be one of these

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Stoll - Backlund
Beartschi - Cammalleri - Aliu/Comeau

or
Tanguay - Stoll - Iginla
Cammalleri - Stajan - Aliu/Comeau
Baertschi - Backlund - Glencross
I also don't understand the hate for Comeau. This team CANNOT afford to give up anymore speed. And Comeau is big speed, in that he's a big body. And we got him for nothing. Again, asset management - the Flames got him for free so don't give him away for free by letting him be an UFA. Bring him back, good 3rd liner, solid penalty killer.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
  #13
LetsGoFlames
Drop the puck!
 
LetsGoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Weyburn, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I also don't understand the hate for Comeau. This team CANNOT afford to give up anymore speed. And Comeau is big speed, in that he's a big body. And we got him for nothing. Again, asset management - the Flames got him for free so don't give him away for free by letting him be an UFA. Bring him back, good 3rd liner, solid penalty killer.
I like Comeau too. Getting a little tired of watching him streak into the zone, go behind the net and then back out into the slot where he seems to run out of ideas and usually turns it over though. But he's young, he's very fast and he hits.

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
  #14
LetsGoFlames
Drop the puck!
 
LetsGoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Weyburn, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
As for Cammy hitting 40 again....absolutely he will. Not likely here though.

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
  #15
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I also don't understand the hate for Comeau. This team CANNOT afford to give up anymore speed. And Comeau is big speed, in that he's a big body. And we got him for nothing. Again, asset management - the Flames got him for free so don't give him away for free by letting him be an UFA. Bring him back, good 3rd liner, solid penalty killer.
keep in mind that Comeau's qualifying offer is 2.5 million, thats the only reason he is iffy to me. If he was willing to sign for 1-1.5 I would keep him, anymore and I will take my chances with Aliu

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
  #16
LetsGoFlames
Drop the puck!
 
LetsGoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Weyburn, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
keep in mind that Comeau's qualifying offer is 2.5 million, thats the only reason he is iffy to me. If he was willing to sign for 1-1.5 I would keep him, anymore and I will take my chances with Aliu
Very good point. But we did get him off waivers for no return and IF he develops into a solid top 6 NHL forward then we've added value without subtracting value at all. Good move.

If he doesn't pan out, all we really lost was an unjustifiably inflated contract for a few years. It looks like we'll be making some major changes here anyways, so the cap space is gong to be there. We're the perfect place for him to be right now, overvalued contract and all.

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
  #17
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,298
vCash: 50
If Comeau was scoring 18-22 goals I would be fine with his contract. I don't hate him as a player, but the fact is there are other guys in the NHL that can provide what he does for about a million less. I don't want Comeau back at 2.5mil, 1.5 I am fine with.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
  #18
Pekkas Purse
Registered User
 
Pekkas Purse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=tfong;47805231]More of an off-season thread really but specifically for Cammy.

Hes still in his prime and has added two way play (kinda) to his skillset.

So what do we need in the off-season to bring him back to 40 goal form? Put him back to the wing and use someone else in the middle? Or can he do it from the pivot position?

QUOTE]

Back to the Future Machine and some good 3D glasses!

My advice is look at a players stats as a chart/graph. It was an anomaly.

Pekkas Purse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:24 AM
  #19
JurassicTunga
Registered User
 
JurassicTunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Let Joker go. Cammy RW

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Cammalleri
Glencross - Gaustad - UFA?(Paranteau?) Nemisz / Stempniak
Bouma - Jones - Kostopulous

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:57 AM
  #20
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Let Joker go. Cammy RW

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Cammalleri
Glencross - Gaustad - UFA?(Paranteau?) Nemisz / Stempniak
Bouma - Jones - Kostopulous
agree, I would pick up Gaustad or Stoll, or anyone who can win a freaking FO! But I'm sure we'll see Jokinen back in the fold on a 4-5 year deal.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
  #21
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
agree, I would pick up Gaustad or Stoll, or anyone who can win a freaking FO! But I'm sure we'll see Jokinen back in the fold on a 4-5 year deal.
I'm tending to think this is the case, sounds like Sutter had some conditions he wanted met, and they weren't, hence they mutually parted ways. I think one or maybe 2 major moves may be made this offseason, but I expect Jokinen to be brought back and he has been very open that his terms are a long term deal.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.