HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did Terry Pegula buy the Sabres?

View Poll Results: Why did Terry buy the Sabres?
1. Huge fan of the Sabres -- sole reason is to bring a Cup to Buffalo. 21 84.00%
2. Huge hockey fan but just Sabres follower -- more about fulfilling fantasy of owning hockey team. 4 16.00%
3. Wanted a new business challenge, and making a small-market hockey team profitable fit the bill. 1 4.00%
4. Wants to stabilize the franchise and hand it off to his kids in several years. 2 8.00%
5. Wants to make money in the short term and/or flip it in a few years for a nice profit. 0 0%
6. Wants to run for public office in New York and affect the public debate on fracking. 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 11:13 AM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Why did Terry Pegula buy the Sabres?

Second offseason Post-Pegula is at hand. Thought this question might be interesting to ponder with the advantage of the passage of time. I don't think it's quite the slam-dunk answer most have made it out to be.

I discount 1. because I don't think Terry is a huge Sabres fan. I think selling himself as such was important to building support for his ownership. But along the way he has admitted he didn't know the Sabres were for sale in 2002-03, and that's an immediate disqualification for me. What huge fan didn't know that? What even casual fan didn't know that?

It's impossible to make all the answers fit in neat categories, so in reality it's a combination of some of the choices. For me, it's mostly 2. with a touch of 3. 4. intrigues me based on his answer on 2/22 about how long he planned to own the team ("the answer might be sitting in front of you" -- the questioner was just behind Terry's family).

2. fits in with Terry traveling with the team, sitting next to Darcy at games, manning the various "war rooms," giving opinions about free agents and the kind of players he likes and wants to have, traveling to woo players, making the statement about Lindy that he made (when it should have been Darcy's statement to make) and so on.

Looking forward to responses...

Old
04-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
If he's not a huge Sabres fan then he sure fooled me.

Everything strikes me as a guy who's a big fan with deep pockets.

I don't know about that disqualifier. The guy's a billionaire running a huge company. I give him a pass on the whole "he should've known the team was on sale" thing.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:26 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Second offseason Post-Pegula is at hand. Thought this question might be interesting to ponder with the advantage of the passage of time. I don't think it's quite the slam-dunk answer most have made it out to be.

I discount 1. because I don't think Terry is a huge Sabres fan. I think selling himself as such was important to building support for his ownership. But along the way he has admitted he didn't know the Sabres were for sale in 2002-03, and that's an immediate disqualification for me. What huge fan didn't know that? What even casual fan didn't know that?

It's impossible to make all the answers fit in neat categories, so in reality it's a combination of some of the choices. For me, it's mostly 2. with a touch of 3. 4. intrigues me based on his answer on 2/22 about how long he planned to own the team ("the answer might be sitting in front of you" -- the questioner was just behind Terry's family).

2. fits in with Terry traveling with the team, sitting next to Darcy at games, manning the various "war rooms," giving opinions about free agents and the kind of players he likes and wants to have, traveling to woo players, making the statement about Lindy that he made (when it should have been Darcy's statement to make) and so on.

Looking forward to responses...
"Huge fan" cannot be easily quantified.

As I grow older and have different priorities, my attention to Pro Sports lessens. That is not to say that my interest diminishes. I have less time to devote to this, having to run a business, care for a family, pay bills and take care of a house. I am just guessing but a guy with a company the size of his, had substantially different priorities and free time to be fan number # 1.

My take: (a combination of the below)

1. Presumably, he a shrewd business man and saw a great opportunity.
2. He has enough $$ to do whatever he wants and he wanted to own a sports franchise/create a legacy.
3. He has an ego and wants to be liked, like most of us.
4. He loves sports and does have an affection for the Sabres that you and I cannot judge.
5. He likes a challenge and pro sports ownership is a place for those very competitive.
6. He has a level of community pride for places that touched he and his family.

this is a partial list and is in no order.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:28 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If he's not a huge Sabres fan then he sure fooled me.

Everything strikes me as a guy who's a big fan with deep pockets.

I don't know about that disqualifier. The guy's a billionaire running a huge company. I give him a pass on the whole "he should've known the team was on sale" thing.
He wasn't a billionaire then and the company wasn't huge. Doesn't really matter to my opinion -- lots of fans run companies of all sizes and know if their favorite teams are not only for sale but said to be in dire danger of being relocated.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The amount of criticism you heap upon Terry Pegula is mind boggling.

The guy has been the owner for 14 months. BTG didn't get this much heat after the same timeframe.

I'm not saying he should be immune to criticism when necessary, but I can't comprehend why you're questioning his motivations for buying the team. Does it really matter?

EDIT: To address your points.

1. Huge fan of the Sabres -- sole reason is to bring a Cup to Buffalo. - I believe this.

2. Huge hockey fan but just Sabres follower -- more about fulfilling fantasy of owning hockey team. - I don't know too many people who 'just follow' the Sabres who also owned season tickets for years

3. Wanted a new business challenge, and making a small-market hockey team profitable fit the bill. - There were other franchises that were actively on the block he could have bought if he wanted to do that.

4. Wants to stabilize the franchise and hand it off to his kids in several years. - What? His daughters are very young. His kids from his first marriage are a little older, but not a chance he bought the team for them.

5. Wants to make money in the short term and/or flip it in a few years for a nice profit. - He paid $189M. You don't pay a premium on something you're trying to flip for profit.

6. Wants to run for public office in New York and affect the public debate on fracking. - Absurd. He's contributed money to politicians to support his business interests, like every business owner. The vast majority of his existing holdings in natural gas aren't in active gas production.

Last edited by SackTastic: 04-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

7. Don't really care.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

I for one have never been more content/secure/happy to have Mr. Pegula as our owner. We are so fortunate to have someone who loves the game of hockey/filthy wealthy and willing to spend it....No more boring FA for as long as he is GM. I feel so hesitant with the Bills for this exact reason, they are constantly talked about being relocated...If that happened I would be devastated...I hope Mr. Pegula likes the Bills as well...

Old
04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Afino
The Juice

posting in a troll thread

Old
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
fing0rz

3 reminds me of the movie Rat Race.

Bunch of billionaires made a bet that Pegula couldn't buy the sabres and turn it into a profitable and winning franchise. He has 3 years or he loses.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
aceface33

Being profitable seems like the last thing on his mind. He spent millions this past year on players and all the upgrades. When TBN tried to pin him down to an exact number spent on the team he finally admitted he didn't know or care.

As for not being a fan, I suppose he was fake crying at that press conference?

(I'm now waiting for the long, detailed rebuttal from puckish about how, yes, he was indeed fake crying and/or being a fan of Perrault does not mean he's a fan of the Sabres)

Old
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Oh come on

Old
04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Oh come on
This was my response.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Pegula is a fan of hockey, a fan of the Sabres, and a fan of the Western NY area. He has been fortunate enough in life to acquire enough capital to comfortably live and play. As Sabres fans, we are fortunate enough to have an owner who wants his favorite team to win the Stanley cup and willing to throw millions at the effort to achieve it. Reading more into it (a Puckish specialty) is simply dumb.

Last edited by Clock: 04-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 12:25 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Pegula is a fan of hockey, a fan of the Sabres, and a fan of the Western NY area. He has been fortunate enough in life to acquire enough capital to comfortably live and play. As Sabres fans, we are fortunate enough to have an owner who wants his favorite team to win the Stanley cup and willing to throw millions at the effort to achieve it. Reading more into it (a Puckish specialty) is simply dumb.
Could not agree more bro...Seriously we are soo fortunate to have him as our owner.

Last edited by Clock: 04-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Who cares? He's got money and isn't afraid to spend it to make the team better. I honestly couldn't care less if he didn't know the team was for sale in 2003.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Clock

Quote:
He wasn't a billionaire then and the company wasn't huge. Doesn't really matter to my opinion -- lots of fans run companies of all sizes and know if their favorite teams are not only for sale but said to be in dire danger of being relocated.
It's quite possible to be a big fan of a team and miss out on something like that, especially if you had as much going on as Pegula did.

I think you're grasping a bit with this.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

to meet sabretooth

Old
04-15-2012, 12:55 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Could not agree more bro...Seriously we are soo fortunate to have him as our owner.
People felt the same way about John Rigas and Tom Golisano at first.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Because he's loaded.

Old
puckish66

Quote:
I for one have never been more content/secure/happy to have Mr. Pegula as our owner. We are so fortunate to have someone who loves the game of hockey/filthy wealthy and willing to spend it....No more boring FA for as long as he is GM. I feel so hesitant with the Bills for this exact reason, they are constantly talked about being relocated...If that happened I would be devastated...I hope Mr. Pegula likes the Bills as well...
I think you said it all!

Old
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Yeah, because not having a team here at all would've been so much better.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah because they were fans of the game of hockey...It was a business venture for them. Terry is as big of a fan of the Sabres as everyone on here are...He also spent large amounts of cash, something Golisano never did in free agency. You are really trying to compare Pegula to these guys....REALLY...

Old
04-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Clock

Please keep it on-topic and go after the content of a post instead of the poster, please.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
dlonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The amount of criticism you heap upon Terry Pegula is mind boggling.
The guy has been the owner for 14 months. BTG didn't get this much heat after the same timeframe.
The heat he gets is based upon his initial statements when the purchase was complete. Calling this a prime destination for other players, making a point to call this "Hockey Heaven."

Promising a fan base not one cup but multiple cups.

Gollisano saved the franchise and exercised fiscal prudence, which was expected of him because of his business dealings.

I personally like him as an owner and he will eventually build a winner here, but he is currently blinded by being a big time fan who wants to revert back to the glory days. We older guys equate that to the French Connection days. Lindy Ruff was certainly a part of those awesome teams and Pegula is enamored with hockey players from the past. It's blinding him right now, but he will get burned and become jaded, this is when he will make better decisions on management and will lose a lot of his star struck personality.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:28 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Yeah because they were fans of the game of hockey...It was a business venture for them. Terry is as big of a fan of the Sabres as everyone on here are...He also spent large amounts of cash, something Golisano never did in free agency. You are really trying to compare Pegula to these guys....REALLY...
I can't accept the bolded statement. He said he lost interest in the early 00s and his daughter got him back into hockey. He said he didn't know the team was for sale. In his meeting at TBN, he seemed unsure about the significance of the date July 1, 2007. He has said Buffalo should "let it go" about No Goal. He has said he doesn't care who was at fault for the co-captain mess. He doesn't react when the Sabres score a goal.

I'll accept that he was probably a bigger fan in his younger days before his business took off. I think his interest waned after he gave up his seasons in 98 and moved down south. Like some people, I think he got interested again after the lockout.

Closed Thread