HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

No Season ending Presser

Old
04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Wow you guys are hilarious. Apparently I should bow down to the Sabres and say "Thank you! Thank you for the privilege of letting me spend my money on you!" This seems to be a permutation of the "you should be glad you even have a team" argument that is usually used for the Bills.

I don't care one way or the other if they have an end of the year press conference. I'm not mad enough to cancel my season tickets. I just want to hear Ruff answer some questions is all. He even cancelled his radio show this week. I want to hear what he has to say about Roy's comments, the fact that he berated the team and put them through the year's hardest practice before a meaningless game, etc. I think the fans have that right.
I never said you should be happy to have a team. Just that the team doesn't owe you anything. Look at the CBJ. They never have a press conference and their fans don't complain.

As for lindy, the only ones he has to answer to are Terry, Darcey, and the players who's respect he has probably lost through his actions. While I may not like Ruff, the fact remains: he doesn't owe the fans a single thing. We don't pay him.

Besides is TBN really wanted answers what's stopping them from picking up the phone and calling them up to get an interview. Ted Black said on the radio yesterday that if they want to ask questions. That's what Vogl did. They're just pissed because they want their jobs done for them.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I don't think anyone is asserting that you should 'bow down' and worship the Sabres, or just be happy they're here.

The point is that you should make your own choices on how you want to spend your money, but also realize that you don't get any additional privileges or access just because you spend a lot.

Season tickets allow you access to the building to watch the games. That's it. It's no different than buying a ticket to a movie or a theater production. The act of buying a ticket, or lots of them, doesn't make you a more important customer who can demand more from the organization.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Wow you guys are hilarious. Apparently I should bow down to the Sabres and say "Thank you! Thank you for the privilege of letting me spend my money on you!" This seems to be a permutation of the "you should be glad you even have a team" argument that is usually used for the Bills.

I don't care one way or the other if they have an end of the year press conference. I'm not mad enough to cancel my season tickets. I just want to hear Ruff answer some questions is all. He even cancelled his radio show this week. I want to hear what he has to say about Roy's comments, the fact that he berated the team and put them through the year's hardest practice before a meaningless game, etc. I think the fans have that right.
I agree. I just prefer to see it in press conference form like (to my knowledge) they've done every year for quite some time.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I never said you should be happy to have a team. Just that the team doesn't owe you anything. Look at the CBJ. They never have a press conference and their fans don't complain.
If we never had one then I'd understand. But since we do regularly have one and now we don't; then I have a problem. It makes me think they are too chicken **** to face the facts on camera with tons of people watching.

That's my problem.

Call a press conference, all media outlets advertise and viewers/listeners watch. Put Ted Black on WGR at 8am on a Thursday where he decides to take calls from fans and most people like myself would probably forget he's even going on.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
They set the mile High expectations. Not me.

A GM and a Head Coach together for 14 years with a core group of players that they both brought in shouldn't need ANYTHING else to make it into the playoffs.

I'm a hater because I wanted a set structured press conference like they have every other year? I'm a hater because I'm pissed off they missed the playoffs and want to hear tough questions asked? I'm a hater because I don't bow down to every word that comes out of their mouths?

Talk is cheap. Time to back it it up.
If talk is cheap, then what is the point of having a press conference?

You're right about expectations and Mr Big Daddy President Ted certainly deserves to be criticized for all of his boasting about winning cups, then winning more, then running parades down the Thruway to Rochester and all that.

I actually think the guy who said Black does these things for his ego was kinda right. He was definitely enjoying the love he was getting and, I think, got caught too up in it. As I recall, he got hit really hard when he went on after that nightmare Chicago-Detroit-Winnipeg etc roadtrip.

I fail to see how a press conference is going to, in any way, affect accountability in the organization and the direction hockey operations takes in the offseason.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Clock

For me, it boils down to this - I don't think we'd learn anything new. It would be a lot of talk about injuries, how we have to be better, how it was disappointing, etc. Sure, it'd be interesting to hear how Ruff would respond to Roy's comments, but we'd probably get the censored / PC response and I can't think of too much else.

I get the disappointment, though. For most of us there's somewhat of an emotional attachment to the team and it's not about pure logic.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:42 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
If talk is cheap, then what is the point of having a press conference?

You're right about expectations and Mr Big Daddy President Ted certainly deserves to be criticized for all of his boasting about winning cups, then winning more, then running parades down the Thruway to Rochester and all that.

I actually think the guy who said Black does these things for his ego was kinda right. He was definitely enjoying the love he was getting and, I think, got caught too up in it. As I recall, he got hit really hard when he went on after that nightmare Chicago-Detroit-Winnipeg etc roadtrip.

I fail to see how a press conference is going to, in any way, affect accountability in the organization and the direction hockey operations takes in the offseason.
I'm not saying that we would have gotten anything out of it, but it'd be nice if I had that option.

A presser puts all members of the media in 1 place at 1 time to ask whatever they want. There are quite a few things I was hoping to hear answers to that don't even pertain to Lindy, Darcy, or the players. A press conference just gives fans an opportunity to know that at a certain time on a certain day a whole **** load of questions are going to be asked and you might get some answers. Leaving it to fans to call at 8am on a Thursday limits what can be asked.

I just think these guys are okay with facing cameras when they can boast about how much money they've spent and how great things are. Completely different story when they stick to a radio call in show at 8am on a Thursday now that things suck and a season is washed away. Sorry, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 04-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Skelley

Quote:
[For me, it boils down to this - I don't think we'd learn anything new. It would be a lot of talk about injuries, how we have to be better, how it was disappointing, etc. Sure, it'd be interesting to hear how Ruff would respond to Roy's comments, but we'd probably get the censored / PC response and I can't think of too much else.
This.

I'm just as upset about the results of this season as anyone and I think this team needs some major changes. I think the whole "accountability" thing boils down to most people want Lindy or Darcy or both to be gone based on many years of high expectations with disappointing results. Short of them announcing that Ruff was fired at an end of year presser, there's really nothing new to learn or talk about.

In regards to Roy and Vanek's comments, Ruff's not gonna get up there and say, "Well my act is stale and I've lost a lot of guys on this team but if I keep doing the same things I think we can still have success". He's gonna say something like "We all want to win, blah, blah, blah, coaches and players butt heads sometimes blah blah blah" and it won't really mean anything.

Quote:
I get the disappointment, though. For most of us there's somewhat of an emotional attachment to the team and it's not about pure logic.
Haha this pretty much says it all when it comes to this team's success or lack thereof...

Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I'm not saying that we would have gotten anything out of it, but it'd be nice if I had that option.

A presser puts all members of the media in 1 place at 1 time to ask whatever they want. There are quite a few things I was hoping to hear answers to that don't even pertain to Lindy, Darcy, or the players. A press conference just gives fans an opportunity to know that at a certain time on a certain day a whole **** load of questions are going to be asked and you might get some answers. Leaving it to fans to call at 8am on a Thursday limits what can be asked.

I just think these guys are okay with facing cameras when they can boast about how much money they've spent and how great things are. Completely different story when they stick to a radio call in show at 8am on a Thursday now that things suck and a season is washed away. Sorry, it just doesn't sit well with me.
When is the last time they were on Camera?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:09 AM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
For me, it boils down to this - I don't think we'd learn anything new. It would be a lot of talk about injuries, how we have to be better, how it was disappointing, etc. Sure, it'd be interesting to hear how Ruff would respond to Roy's comments, but we'd probably get the censored / PC response and I can't think of too much else.

This. I want a presser when something happens. If they fire/trade/sign someone, absolutely want a presser. And yes, I'd like a presser as a fan even if it's entirely symbolic and worthless, but it's just as logical to not have one when there's really nothing new to say.

Last season's presser was essentially new ownership taking charge and putting their stamp on things, as well as announcing Ruff being extended. Now we know ownership, we know what they want and where they want to go (if you take what they say at face value, and I have no reason to not), so I can understand why they won't have one.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:14 AM
jamers

e: sorry for double post, forgot I had just posted.

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy this. All of the stuff about the locker rooms and arena improvements... those are things that fans wanted to know about. We wanted every detail about those things.

And it's not like Ted Black is on record saying how amazing they are (though he's extremely complimentary to Pegula, as is his right). He has consistently maintained that while all of the improvements and money spent on the team is nice, they need to win on the ice, period.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Afino
The Juice

Not worth it's own thread, but here's the predictable Sully column:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...order=T&page=2

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Skelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post

I am shocked...

Old
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

It's a PRESS conference. Not a FAN conference.

What do FANS get out of a presser? Nothing. You can't attend. Listening or watching doesn't really give you anything. All you hear is reporters asking questions that they'll use in their later stories.

Why are fans so bent that the media might have to work a little harder to do their jobs?

Old
04-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Regier and Ruff won five playoff series in their first two seasons here. They have won five series in the 13 years since.

Pretty interesting way of putting it. Interesting and sad at the same time.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Skelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Regier and Ruff won five playoff series in their first two seasons here. They have won five series in the 13 years since.

Pretty interesting way of putting it. Interesting and sad at the same time.
Haha I second that

Old
04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
jamers

Quote:

The whole 'Great Enabler' bit is so bush league. Unless he's referring to the fact that Pegula writes all of the paychecks and is enabling a team to exist here in the first place.

The sad part is these guys couch legitimate points in ridiculously venomous rhetoric. Apparently they never learned that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
I am shocked...

Cognitive dissonance from the thinnest-skinned member of the WNY media.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Skelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
The whole 'Great Enabler' bit is so bush league. Unless he's referring to the fact that Pegula writes all of the paychecks and is enabling a team to exist here in the first place.

The sad part is these guys couch legitimate points in ridiculously venomous rhetoric. Apparently they never learned that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
Haha I laughed out loud at that one. Also, the neverending Sully point that Pegula criticized the news when he first bought the team. I didn't necessarily like Pegula saying it but I am sick of Jerry talking about it. Have a feeling it won't be the last time tho

Old
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The fact that everyone at TBN took Pegula's comments as 'PLEASE WRITE NICE ABOUT US!!!' instead of what he seemed to mean, which was 'Hey guys, you can criticize us without being ****** holes about it' , speaks volumes.

The only way these guys can save their jobs is by being an aforementioned ****** hole. Objective, honest criticism and analysis isn't good enough. They pander to those that share the mindset of WGR's Whiner Line caller; unreasonable, uninformed rage over nothing.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
Haha I laughed out loud at that one. Also, the neverending Sully point that Pegula criticized the news when he first bought the team. I didn't necessarily like Pegula saying it but I am sick of Jerry talking about it. Have a feeling it won't be the last time tho
He threw in a jab about fracking and Penn State too.

It's so pathetic. Grow up. When posters on HFBoards who don't have the press credentials of these guys can produce less biased and more objective thoughts on a regular basis, it's just sad. Honestly, I blame ESPN for making sports media as much of a show as sports itself.

Last edited by jamers: 04-13-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

This. The end. I think I'll take my playoff money back this year instead of letting them sit on it also.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:00 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:

Wish there was video of that initial meeting between the local media and Pegula...it sounds like the media guys in that room were pissed off for being called out like that.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
It's a PRESS conference. Not a FAN conference.

What do FANS get out of a presser? Nothing. You can't attend. Listening or watching doesn't really give you anything. All you hear is reporters asking questions that they'll use in their later stories.

Why are fans so bent that the media might have to work a little harder to do their jobs?
What did EVERYONE get out of the PRESS conference when Pegula bought the team? Pile of **** if that PRESS conference didn't get you excited. Give me a break. If not a single reporter writes a word about that presser, you still leave with terms that give you goose bumps. Big whoop if I can't attend.

Them having to work harder means we have to wait for questions to be asked that could have ALL been asked at once.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 04-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Some local media and fans

Sad.....

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote