HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Season ending Presser

Old
04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
I think Jerry makes a decent point at the end.

There is a double standard involved with the players having to talk to the media at locker clean out day and Regier and Ruff not having to do the same.

Who knows if it will drive a wedge as Jerry suggests. But, it could.

I wonder what the response would be if Bucky, Jerry, Harrington, or Vogl were to ask Black & Pegula for a sit down interview about the state of the franchise, what would have to happen to cause them to change the GM and/or coach, and other questions that they want answers to.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I think Jerry makes a decent point at the end.

There is a double standard involved with the players having to talk to the media at locker clean out day and Regier and Ruff not having to do the same.

Who knows if it will drive a wedge as Jerry suggests. But, it could.

I wonder what the response would be if Bucky, Jerry, Harrington, or Vogl were to ask Black & Pegula for a sit down interview about the state of the franchise, what would have to happen to cause them to change the GM and/or coach, and other questions that they want answers to.
That's mostly my gripe. The guys here for 14 years should be talking. Lindy cancels his radio talk and is nowhere to be found yet he's undoubtedly coming back? Players are forced to talk and coach isn't?

**** that. Actually ya know what? That shows me all I really need to know.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
SabreBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
So few teams have these pressers to discuss the season, yet the Sabres get consistently flogged each time they don't have one.

Also, you know the reason, at least in part, is that they're not going to sit there while the TBN writers pander to their base with hostile questions.
Sure, let the players face the music. Let them take the heat and the tough, unfiltered questions. Not the head coach or the GM.

The players are the ones to blame after all, right? Isn't that how it works in Hockey Heaven?

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

If the media wants to ask the coach and GM tough questions, they can put in a request to the Sabres to interview them. They don't need a press conference to do so.

If the Sabres refuse to make Ruff or Regier available, then the media should report that, and they should be rightly criticized for it.

You guys are pissing and moaning because the Sabres aren't making it EASY to be interviewed. Who says they have to?

Vogl managed to get Black on the phone without much trouble. Why aren't these other guys trying?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If the media wants to ask the coach and GM tough questions, they can put in a request to the Sabres to interview them. They don't need a press conference to do so.

If the Sabres refuse to make Ruff or Regier available, then the media should report that, and they should be rightly criticized for it.

You guys are pissing and moaning because the Sabres aren't making it EASY to be interviewed. Who says they have to?

Vogl managed to get Black on the phone without much trouble. Why aren't these other guys trying?
If there's a press conference its more known and there is more hype.

If Ted Black called WGR and called Buffalo Hockey Heaven on the radio at 8:15 in the AM there wouldn't have been nearly as much hype as there was when he said it with every news outlet at a press conference. Press conferences get more people talking, they put people in the spotlight.

Having a radio call in show or in personal interview with 1 or 2 people is the easy way out for Black and Co.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

And to be fair, Ruff was made available before and after the Bruins game when the outcome of the season was known.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
If there's a press conference its more known and there is more hype.

If Ted Black called WGR and called Buffalo Hockey Heaven on the radio at 8:15 in the AM there wouldn't have been nearly as much hype as there was when he said it with every news outlet at a press conference. Press conferences get more people talking, they put people in the spotlight.

Having a radio call in show or in personal interview with 1 or 2 people is the easy way out for Black and Co.
I guess my question is what would be gained from that? Catharsis for fans? It sounds like you want them to allow themselves to become pinatas for the media and fans. I get the frustration, but that's a little vindictive, to me.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
If a reporter won't ask a tough question sitting across a table from someone, but will ask it in the middle of a presser with 40 other people, then that reporter sucks.

A one on one interview should be HARDER than a presser on the person being interviewed.

Old
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I guess my question is what would be gained from that? Catharsis for fans? It sounds like you want them to allow themselves to become pinatas for the media and fans. I get the frustration, but that's a little vindictive, to me.
The only reason I see to have one is IF there are players that are PO'd about having to "answer to the media" at locker clean out day and Regier and Ruff didn't have to go through a similar "experience".

Nothing of substance ever gets said at these things. So, I don't see any real value to doing it outside of avoiding players feeling like there is a double standard.

Old
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
That's exactly it. Some fans want to go whiner line on these guys. Because that helps.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
HiddenInLight

On Thursday morning Black stated outright that Lindy, Darcy, Terry, and Himself are always available for an interview, and any member of the press can call them up to get one. All they need to do is ask. He said that he returns every call and email and message to them. He essentially said: "TBN, you want to ask questions? Get off your ass and arrange an interview, were happy to obliege. Don't want to do that? Then its your problem, not ours". Which is completely valid. None of them are refusing to speak to the media...they just need to get off their lazy ***** and make the phone call...you know like Vogl did...and GASP he got his interview. Not only wit black, but got one with Enroth as well. SHOCKING!!!!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
The only reason I see to have one is IF there are players that are PO'd about having to "answer to the media" at locker clean out day and Regier and Ruff didn't have to go through a similar "experience".

Nothing of substance ever gets said at these things. So, I don't see any real value to doing it outside of avoiding players feeling like there is a double standard.
It sounded to me like the players made the choice to make themselves available to the media, seeing as Leino elected not to speak to the media that day.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:35 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
On Thursday morning Black stated outright that Lindy, Darcy, Terry, and Himself are always available for an interview, and any member of the press can call them up to get one. All they need to do is ask. He said that he returns every call and email and message to them. He essentially said: "TBN, you want to ask questions? Get off your ass and arrange an interview, were happy to obliege. Don't want to do that? Then its your problem, not ours". Which is completely valid. None of them are refusing to speak to the media...they just need to get off their lazy ***** and make the phone call...you know like Vogl did...and GASP he got his interview. Not only wit black, but got one with Enroth as well. SHOCKING!!!!
I find it hard to believe there haven't been multiple requests for interviews with Lindy and Darcy.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:35 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If a reporter won't ask a tough question sitting across a table from someone, but will ask it in the middle of a presser with 40 other people, then that reporter sucks.

A one on one interview should be HARDER than a presser on the person being interviewed.
No I'm saying it limits the possibilities of people asking more questions. The less people they have sit downs with, the less questions there are therefore they likely will not have has many difficult questions to ask.

Is that a guarantee? No. But in all likelyhood, that's how it is.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I find it hard to believe there haven't been multiple requests for interviews with Lindy and Darcy.
Do you honestly think that if Sully asked for an interview and was told no, he would have refrained from publishing it? Or Gleason? How about Harrington? If they would have asked and the team refused we would know not five minutes later through twitter and an article *****ing about it every day for a month. Come on. Now your not even thinking.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Royisgone

It may not be as simple as Lindy, Darcy, Ted, and Terry not wanting to face the music as some suggest.

I actually see this as potentially a good thing. It could suggest that Terry and his handlers do perceive some organizational problems, and they just don't want to "go there" with a big public press conference that puts them on the spot and could result in unwanted things being said, particularly from Terry.

Perhaps they are learning to be careful about what they say and that their grandiose bravado at the beginning was misplaced.

"3 years to win a Cup!" "Once we win one, we will win more!" "Lindy ain't goin' nowhere!"

You can argue the lack of the Presser is their way of saying "OK, we have some problems to work out here. We have work to do. This may not be as easy as we first thought." And the hope that follows is that they will work to fix what needs fixing, like by firing Lindy if next year is another disappointment.

Willingness to have big, open, press conference = "we think things are going well"

No press conference = "we have work to do and don't really want to publicly air our dirty laundry right now"

Maybe.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
It may not be as simple as Lindy, Darcy, Ted, and Terry not wanting to face the music as some suggest.

I actually see this as potentially a good thing. It could suggest that Terry and his handlers do perceive some organizational problems, and they just don't want to "go there" with a big public press conference that puts them on the spot and could result in unwanted things being said, particularly from Terry.

Perhaps they are learning to be careful about what they say and that their grandiose bravado at the beginning was misplaced.

"3 years to win a Cup!" "Once we win one, we will win more!" "Lindy ain't goin' nowhere!"

You can argue the lack of the Presser is their way of saying "OK, we have some problems to work out here. We have work to do. This may not be as easy as we first thought." And the hope that follows is that they will work to fix what needs fixing, like by firing Lindy if next year is another disappointment.

Willingness to have big, open, press conference = "we think things are going well"

No press conference = "we have work to do and don't really want to publicly air our dirty laundry right now"

Maybe.
Lindy and Darcy are already locked in to return next season. What other laundry is there to do right now?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Oh well. Just don't know why they are fine with press conferences when times are good and then when times suck they say no pressers. Come see us if you have any questions.

Again, they usually have one and now all of a sudden they don't after one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory and I just wonder why.

I just think its more convenient for media, fans, and everyone interested in the team if there is an event scheduled instead of making everyone interested listen or read 20 different things to find out questions asked.

Old
04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Lindy and Darcy are already locked in to return next season. What other laundry is there to do right now?
Are you really asking "Roymustgo" that?

Old
04-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Are you really asking "Roymustgo" that?
Ha ha ha! In all seriousness, there is a TON of "dirty laundry" so to speak that could be aired at that press conference (if it existed) if the right questions were asked and the wrong response was given.

What if Terry is thinking right now: "you know, maybe I was wrong about Lindy. I am going to put him on a short leash and if we miss the playoffs again next year, he's gone...especially in light of the comments made by Roy and Vanek, who I thought were 2 of our best players."

If that's his mindset right now, do you think he wants to go anywhere near a big press conference focused on the team's failure this past season?

If Terry is thinking nothing like that, he would arguably me more apt to have the press conference thinking nothing bad can come of it. It would be chance for him to be open and honest about his excitement for the team, and his faith in the direction we are moving--if he likes what he sees.

As I said earlier, no press conference = unahppiness at top level as I see it. And that's a good thing.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Do you honestly think that if Sully asked for an interview and was told no, he would have refrained from publishing it? Or Gleason? How about Harrington? If they would have asked and the team refused we would know not five minutes later through twitter and an article *****ing about it every day for a month. Come on. Now your not even thinking.
Especially with Twitter.

I'd expect that they would be complaining all over Twitter if they tried to get an interview and were denied.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Ha ha ha! In all seriousness, there is a TON of "dirty laundry" so to speak that could be aired at that press conference (if it existed) if the right questions were asked and the wrong response was given.

What if Terry is thinking right now: "you know, maybe I was wrong about Lindy. I am going to put him on a short leash and if we miss the playoffs again next year, he's gone...especially in light of the comments made by Roy and Vanek, who I thought were 2 of our best players."

If that's his mindset right now, do you think he wants to go anywhere near a big press conference focused on the team's failure this past season?

If Terry is thinking nothing like that, he would arguably me more apt to have the press conference thinking nothing bad can come of it. It would be chance for him to be open and honest about his excitement for the team, and his faith in the direction we are moving--if he likes what he sees.

As I said earlier, no press conference = unahppiness at top level as I see it. And that's a good thing.
Owners rarely show up at end of season press conferences.

A lot of times, it's just the GM. MAYBE the GM & head coach.

And was this season really that much worse than last year? I don't think so.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Oh well. Just don't know why they are fine with press conferences when times are good and then when times suck they say no pressers. Come see us if you have any questions.

Again, they usually have one and now all of a sudden they don't after one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory and I just wonder why.

I just think its more convenient for media, fans, and everyone interested in the team if there is an event scheduled instead of making everyone interested listen or read 20 different things to find out questions asked.
You do realize they've only owned/managed the team since late last season. Saying 'they usually have one' and now all of sudden they don't implies they broke from a long standing tradition. That would be a bizarre thing to assert since this is only their 2nd offseason as owners/management. I would hardly call doing something once as something they "usually do".

One season they had a season ending presser and one season they didn't.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You do realize they've only owned/managed the team since late last season. Saying 'they usually have one' implies a long standing tradition. That would be a bizarre thing to assert since this is only their 2nd offseason as owners/management. I would hardly call doing something once as something they "usually do".

One season they had a season ending presser and one season they didn't.
The unusual part is that pretty much every other team that didn't make the playoffs has rolled out their GM (and some have rolled out the GM & head coach) for a season wrap up presser.

There are rarely noteworthy quotes (unless Brian Burke is your team's GM), but they do it out of tradition.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
The unusual part is that pretty much every other team that didn't make the playoffs has rolled out their GM (and some have rolled out the GM & head coach) for a season wrap up presser.

There are rarely noteworthy quotes (unless Brian Burke is your team's GM), but they do it out of tradition.

Our ownership is who the poster was refering to. We have no idea what their long term style will be. Arguing that one thing or another is something they usually do is pretty silly this early into their ownership tenure.

Some teams have the presser and some don't. Frankly thats irrelevant to what our current owner/managment does.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-13-2012 at 01:54 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote