HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Season ending Presser

Old
04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
I liked the kid that WGR had reporting on the Sabres for a few games late in the year (not sure why he did it instead of Hamilton). I think it was Pat Malacaro (sp?). He was very thorough and his write ups on the website were pretty insightful.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
including record local TV ratings and record attendance -- and "another magical run" to close out the season. Funny how we have an owner who said if he wanted to make money, he'd go drill a well, and yet the first two accomplishments mentioned involve increased revenue rolling into his pockets.
Facts are facts.

Does record TV ratings ACTUALLY mean revenue into his pockets? Doubtful, at least in the short term.

You choose to make it about Pegula making more money. The Sabres spent to the cap. I believe they had the most actual cash overlay for the year in the $80 million range (someone correct me if that's wrong, but things like the Ehrhoff signing bonus have a lot to do with that). The scouting department increase. I'm willing to bet dollars to Harrington's donuts that the Sabres spent more money than anyone else....negating that revenue increase. The Sabres probably still lost a significant chunk of money this year.

Quote:
Terry talked about an "incredible journey," apparently referring to the season. To paraphrase ole TPeg, if he thinks that the season was incredible, or that the run was magical, we have bigger problems than we thought.
It was an incredible journey. Is that maybe the wrong phrase? Sure. Roller coaster ride is more like it. It's neither an incredible season or a magical run in my eyes too. But I find it hard to believe that the words your putting into his mouth is the way he ACTUALLY feels too. You make it seem like he's happy to miss the playoffs.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Or you know, maybe it was an incredible journey for him to own a ****ing hockey team.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
This means nothing.

- Press conferences aren't for fans.
- The media still has access to ask their questions.
- The Sabres are under no obligation to put a press conference on. Ever. For anything.
Just a difference in opinion. No need to keep going over it. You and I both know that fans tune in with more interest than those in the press do. People in the press ask questions because it's their job to, fans tune in because of the passion for the team and because they want to know what the hell is going on.

Normal pressers like when Robyn Regehr came to Buffalo don't interest me all that much. Those are the pressers that are for the media. Year End and state of the franchise pressers bring a lot of attention from the fans and we both know that. If you don't think that a fair share of fans tune in and care about those then I dunno what to tell ya.

I know they aren't obligated to. I'm just saying it'd be nice if they did so some of us who actually care could try and get some insight as to what the hell really went on regarding certain aspects of the team without digging through 27 stories to find out.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I'm just saying it'd be nice if they did so some of us who actually care could try and get some insight as to what the hell really went on regarding certain aspects of the team without digging through 27 stories to find out.

But that's not going to happen. Period. Not in Buffalo, not anywhere.

Except maybe the Boston Red Sox, who throw their fired managers under the bus. Would you rather have that circus? Because that's what you're saying you want.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
But that's not going to happen. Period. Not in Buffalo, not anywhere.

Except maybe the Boston Red Sox, who throw their fired managers under the bus. Would you rather have that circus? Because that's what you're saying you want.
You had to bring that up, didn't ya...

I'm still ticked off what they did to Francona.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
No season ending presser, but we did get a heartwarming "thank you" video from the Pegulas on sabres.com.

Kim said that they accomplished so much of what they set out to do, including record local TV ratings and record attendance -- and "another magical run" to close out the season. Funny how we have an owner who said if he wanted to make money, he'd go drill a well, and yet the first two accomplishments mentioned involve increased revenue rolling into his pockets.

Terry talked about an "incredible journey," apparently referring to the season. To paraphrase ole TPeg, if he thinks that the season was incredible, or that the run was magical, we have bigger problems than we thought.

And that's where I'm at. It seriously looks like amateur hour over at the arena.

Another. Magical. Run.

Incredible is right.
What a dumb post. Record TV ratings and attendance aren't an indication that Pegula is about the all mighty dollar with this franchise. They're saying the Sabres are generating interest again. Which is a great thing. The fans have been diminishing for sometime now. We want this city buzzing again. Unforunatly this season shat the bed.

I thought the 8 bazillion dollar arena upgrade, the millions he spent on free agency, the money he's spent on upgrading the scouting, etc would be enough proof that he isn't about making money. Apparently some of us choose to forget facts when we're pushing agendas.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:53 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Facts are facts.

Does record TV ratings ACTUALLY mean revenue into his pockets? Doubtful, at least in the short term.
Well, teams do make money from their TV deals.
I've never seen any type of estimates, but I'd guess that the Sabres probably have a fairly lucrative deal since the Buffalo market is one of the top TV markets for hockey in the United States.

Quote:
You choose to make it about Pegula making more money. The Sabres spent to the cap. I believe they had the most actual cash overlay for the year in the $80 million range (someone correct me if that's wrong, but things like the Ehrhoff signing bonus have a lot to do with that).
I had them around $80m in player salaries at the beginning of the season but haven't looked at how much they actually ended up spending.
Now that the season is over though it'd be easy to get a real number.
Guess that's another thing I could put in the cap thread.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
It's a PRESS conference. Not a FAN conference.

What do FANS get out of a presser? Nothing. You can't attend. Listening or watching doesn't really give you anything. All you hear is reporters asking questions that they'll use in their later stories.

Why are fans so bent that the media might have to work a little harder to do their jobs?
Quote:
This means nothing.

- Press conferences aren't for fans.
- The media still has access to ask their questions.
- The Sabres are under no obligation to put a press conference on. Ever. For anything.
Bravo for twice making the same illogical statement - how is a press conference any different than an interview, aside from it being a group context instead of a 1-on-1 format? Every interview that is done asks questions and seeks responses, with cameras covering the mannerisms that each are made with. A televised (or even audio) press conference does the same thing. I doubt anyone thinks there's no value as a fan to watching / hearing interviews with coaches, players, GMs or others - so how you can make a silly statement like PCs having no value to fans is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Cognitive dissonance from the thinnest-skinned member of the WNY media.
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Wish there was video of that initial meeting between the local media and Pegula...it sounds like the media guys in that room were pissed off for being called out like that.
Actually, there was - TBN had it posted a day later. I doubt it was archived where you would now find it on their website 14 months later but I distinctly remember watching it - the cameras were at one end of the roundtable format, focused in Pegula's and Black's direction at the other end. Some of the TBN staff were within the camera's view but I remember thinking at the time how Sullivan was at the end of the table opposite Pegula, out of the camera's view. The exchange between Pegula and Sullivan regarding the criticism topic was clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I think Jerry makes a decent point at the end.

There is a double standard involved with the players having to talk to the media at locker clean out day and Regier and Ruff not having to do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Sure, let the players face the music. Let them take the heat and the tough, unfiltered questions. Not the head coach or the GM.
I agree - for Ruff to lash out in a very public, conspicuous manner during a practice attended by the media was obviously pre-meditated by him. He probably knows full well that the tables would be turned if he'd participate in a press conference with 20-30 reporters at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
The players are the ones to blame after all, right? Isn't that how it works in Hockey Heaven?
That seemed to be the one drum that Harrington beat the loudest in that TBN video on the blog. I recall Ruff in the past sometimes admitting that he didn't do a good enough job or taking responsbility for getting the players prepared but it definitely seems that at some point this season, he stopped accepting blame for anything and started making excuses based on the players lack of performance in any crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You do realize they've only owned/managed the team since late last season. Saying 'they usually have one' and now all of sudden they don't implies they broke from a long standing tradition. That would be a bizarre thing to assert since this is only their 2nd offseason as owners/management. I would hardly call doing something once as something they "usually do".

One season they had a season ending presser and one season they didn't.
Black also made it pretty clear yesterday on WGR that the only real reason they felt compelled last season to have the EOY press conference was to formally announce Ruff's contract extension since it had been due to expire a subject of constant speculation in the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
What I don't understand is how Pegula and Black are judging Lindy and Darcy on how they have performed since they took over the team.I thought Pegula was a life long mega fan?How could he not notice over the last 15 years that Ruff is a bad coach?Jerry's article was great today, the statline that really proved to me R&R need to go is the 5 series wins their first 2 seasons....and 5 series wins the last 12 seasons.
That stat was the most salient point of the entire article and certainly put some valid perspective on how the overall tenure of the two men should be viewed IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:42 PM
joshjull

Its not surprising that Harrington, Bucky and Sully are screaming the most about the fact that there is no end of season presser. Its a lot easier to throw their usual bombs in a group setting than in a 1 on 1 interview. Where you have to actually face the person you're attacking 1 on 1 without an audience to play to or a group of fellow reporters to hide behind.

Its also not surprising that the only TBN reporter with a clue (Vogl) had no issue calling and getting a 1 on 1 with Black.

Maybe when the 3 stooges grow a pair they will call for a 1 on 1 interview. I'm not holding my breath.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:25 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Actually, there was - TBN had it posted a day later. I doubt it was archived where you would now find it on their website 14 months later but I distinctly remember watching it
It's still available if you search back in the Sabres Edge blog archive.

It's quite haunting, actually. I don't feel any better about Pegula a year-plus later than I did that day. He really said some stupid things.

People assume that because a guy has billions of dollars, he's smart -- and knows how to run a hockey team. What puzzles me is how someone with so little apparent sack managed to cash in like that in the competitive world of energy exploration. Maybe he just got lucky. Cashed in at the right time. The boom has gone bust now, for the time-being anyway.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, teams do make money from their TV deals.
Of course they do, but do they make extra money on top of the "base" contract because of record ratings?

Old
04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Afino
The Juice

Cheap shots like these don't help:

Jerry Sullivan @TBNSully
·More
Sean Couturier was 18 when he started the season as a Flyers rookie this year. I'm sure Darcy Regier feels he wasn't ready.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:40 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

It's quite haunting, actually. I don't feel any better about Pegula a year-plus later than I did that day. He really said some stupid things.

People assume that because a guy has billions of dollars, he's smart -- and knows how to run a hockey team. What puzzles me is how someone with so little apparent sack managed to cash in like that in the competitive world of energy exploration. Maybe he just got lucky. Cashed in at the right time. The boom has gone bust now, for the time-being anyway.
Or maybe he made money because he had patience and didn't make knee-jerk reactions simply to appease people?

Quote:

Jerry Sullivan @TBNSully
·More
Sean Couturier was 18 when he started the season as a Flyers rookie this year. I'm sure Darcy Regier feels he wasn't ready.
Especially funny considering it sounds like Regier wanted Couturier badly

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:02 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Bravo for twice making the same illogical statement - how is a press conference any different than an interview, aside from it being a group context instead of a 1-on-1 format? Every interview that is done asks questions and seeks responses, with cameras covering the mannerisms that each are made with. A televised (or even audio) press conference does the same thing. I doubt anyone thinks there's no value as a fan to watching / hearing interviews with coaches, players, GMs or others - so how you can make a silly statement like PCs having no value to fans is beyond me.
I stand by my argument. It's not illogical at all, not silly. I respect you, so I'll let those slide without getting snarky.

A press conference is an assembled gathering of reporters to cover a story. In the context of the Sabres, they'll hold a press conference if they have something to announce that they know multiple media outlets will have questions on. It makes sense for the team to do that; otherwise they'll spend lots of time responding to each media outlet individually, and most likely enduring redundant questions.

It was probably a stretch to say fans get nothing from them. I'll concede that point. However, they're not FOR fans. They're held for the convenience of the team and media. Fans have no input on the questions that are asked. Even with all the assembled media, there's no guarantee that the reporters there will even ASK the questions that fans would like to have answered. The team can decide NOT to hold a presser, and the local media still has access to ask the questions they want. Nothing is lost

Sabres press conferences, over the last 5-6 years, have devolved from reporters asking questions about the team and franchise into reporters going out of their way to put forth their agenda, and not bothering to ask the tough, probing questions and get ANSWERS. These hacks spend more time telling Regier HOW he should be doing his job, instead of asking him why he made certain moves, or vice verse. If I'm Regier, I wouldn't answer a single question from Bucky Gleason. His GM for a Day column is downright offensive. What does Bucky know about trading NHL players, or negotiating contracts? Not a damn thing, that's for sure, yet he writes a yearly piece telling the world that he does.

The Sabres had nothing to announce, so they chose not to provide a forum for the local media to showboat and berate.

it's not the job of The Buffalo News to tell me how my hockey team SHOULD be run. It's their job to tell me how they ARE being run. It's an important point that they seem to forget.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:28 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Of course they do, but do they make extra money on top of the "base" contract because of record ratings?
You'd think so but there's no way of knowing for sure.
That'd be something the media would have to try to dig for but most of them are too busy grinding their axes.

I meant to say it initially but I expect that they're looking at a fairly large net loss this year, so puckish's theory that he's just happy about increased revenue is off.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I meant to say it initially but I expect that they're looking at a fairly large net loss this year, so puckish's theory that he's just happy about increased revenue is off.
Which is the point I was trying to make to him with my initial post

Old
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
sabresfan129103

LMFAO. Harrington is still so mad. He won't let it go. Hey Mike, y u heff to be mad??

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:

Jerry Sullivan @TBNSully
·More
Yeah and Harrington retweeted it like it was some brilliant comment. I'm pretty sure if Regeir could have drafted Couturier he would have. Sullivan completely ignores the fact that Couturier was taken 8 spots ahead of where the Sabres drafted last year. It's not like we had the chance to take him but didn't, but of course he leaves that out. He's such a joke.

He also tweeted earlier today that there are 6 centers in the Penguins-Flyers series who are better than Derek Roy. Yeah he's really going out on a limb here saying that Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Staal, and Briere are better than Roy, that's showing some real hockey insight there. I'm assuming the sixth center he's referring to is Couturier which shows how much he knows about hockey, saying that a 19 year old rookie is better than a proven 70 point veteran after the best game of that 19 year old's career. Not that I wouldn't rather have Couturier, but I think it's a little early to be going that far.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Afino
The Juice

Yeah I saw it through Harrington.

And then they wonder why Black/Pegula won't give them the answers they are "looking for" via press conference?

It's long past constructive criticism and has reached pot shots like that. Ted Black's a big boy. He can handle tough questions as long as each side respects each other.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

I remember thinking that the rebuttal Pegula threw at Sullivan about being the press being too negative and causing players to feel discouraged was a reach but was compounded in silliness when he elaborated by using his teenage daughter as a comparison for how she responds to criticism as if she's a fair parallel to multi-millionaire professional athletes.

Quote:
It was probably a stretch to say fans get nothing from them. I'll concede that point. However, they're not FOR fans. They're held for the convenience of the team and media.
I still think you're oversimplifying and downplaying the real function of both the PCs and the media's role. The media reports on what they interpret the public wants to know about. The entire premise of journalistic reporting is to not only report facts but investigate the bases and reasons why those facts are the way they are IMO. You make it sound as if the media is only supposed to ask the team about dates of events, details of transactions and other statistical data. Maybe Wall Street reporters only need to report and document in that way but sports are just as much about perspectives, philosophies and strategies - all of which I think the majority of fans are interested in understanding.

Quote:
Fans have no input on the questions that are asked. Even with all the assembled media, there's no guarantee that the reporters there will even ASK the questions that fans would like to have answered.
There's also no guarantee that the team individuals being asked the questions, no matter how objectified or probing they are, will answer or give the information the fans want.

Quote:
Sabres press conferences, over the last 5-6 years, have devolved from reporters asking questions about the team and franchise into reporters going out of their way to put forth their agenda, and not bothering to ask the tough, probing questions and get ANSWERS. These hacks spend more time telling Regier HOW he should be doing his job, instead of asking him why he made certain moves, or vice verse.
Boy, I don't know if we're talking about the same team and past press conferences when I read the boldfaced portions. I think you're confusing the editorial columns / blogs that the TBN and WGR members write their own opinions / agendas in with the actual interviews / PCs they hold with members of the Sabres. There is no denying how the entire post-Drury/Briere PC was primarily filled with probing questions on what led to the circumstance of events in an effort to get answers - which every fan demanded. Every PC I've watched and heard - be it the ensembles at the end of each season to the routine post-game PCs Ruff does - seems more filled with questions asking WHY decisions were made than about someone throwing out their own agenda for reaction.

Quote:
it's not the job of The Buffalo News to tell me how my hockey team SHOULD be run. It's their job to tell me how they ARE being run. It's an important point that they seem to forget.
Again, I think you're mixing up editorial columns / blogs, where opinions of "they should do this" are written, with public interviews / PCs, where questions about "how or why did they do ___" are voiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its not surprising that Harrington, Bucky and Sully are screaming the most about the fact that there is no end of season presser. Its a lot easier to throw their usual bombs in a group setting than in a 1 on 1 interview. Where you have to actually face the person you're attacking 1 on 1 without an audience to play to or a group of fellow reporters to hide behind.

Its also not surprising that the only TBN reporter with a clue (Vogl) had no issue calling and getting a 1 on 1 with Black.

Maybe when the 3 stooges grow a pair they will call for a 1 on 1 interview. I'm not holding my breath.
The TBN video chat was comical in that sense, where Vogl sat in the middle and rarely reacted pro or con to either of Harrington's and Gleason's more opinionated rants. He seemed intentionally focused on not getting on any soapbox or grandstanding an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
LMFAO. Harrington is still so mad. He won't let it go. Hey Mike, y u heff to be mad??
The latest TBN blog entry from Harrington takes it even a step further:

Quote:
A quick note on press conferences I stumbled upon this morning: The Sabres may not think an end-of-season gathering is a big deal -- and many fans who must not think accountability is important seem to feel likewise -- but this country's most widely-followed sport obviously disagrees.

From the NFL's official media policies:

"SEASON-ENDING NEWS CONFERENCE/OPEN LOCKER ROOM – Every team is required to 1) open its locker room for player interviews the day after the season ends and 2) hold a news conference during the week following the end of its season with its head coach, and/or owner, and/or club president, and/or general manager. The purpose is to respond to fan interest in the conclusion of the team’s season."

I added the underline. Uh-huh. Sounds like the Professional Hockey Writers Association should move to include something similar in its guidelines.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...f-the-nfl.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Afino
The Juice

And the NHL is not the NFL.

LET IT GO, MIKE!

Old
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
ADoubleD

TBN's sports writers are such a joke. I can't wait to read Bucky's GM for a day article where he once again shows a clear lack of knowledge about how to run a hockey team, and the Sabres' needs as a team. Remember a few years ago when he said they should sign a washed up Souray because he had a big shot to help the PP? But left out the fact that he'd be overpaid and sucked defensively.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Yeah and Harrington retweeted it like it was some brilliant comment. I'm pretty sure if Regeir could have drafted Couturier he would have. Sullivan completely ignores the fact that Couturier was taken 8 spots ahead of where the Sabres drafted last year. It's not like we had the chance to take him but didn't, but of course he leaves that out. He's such a joke.
I don't know what point Sullivan was trying to make about Couturier and Regier. That tweet made no sense to me.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
And the NHL is not the NFL.

LET IT GO, MIKE!
Your right, the NFL is 10x the league the NHL is.NHL isn't even part of the "big 4" anymore.

If a NFL team decided not to hold a presser at the conclusion of the season they'd be fined thousands upon thousands. The NFL made more this season then the NHL has in the last 10.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote