HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's not over until it's over!

Old
04-14-2012, 11:00 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't think we're waiving a white flag yet. I will root for my team until the second they get eliminated, but I try to be realistic about their chances. You drop the first 2 games at home and you're in a big hole.

Interesting how Pronger being injured turned out. You may not have gone out and got Grossmann if Pronger were healthy. I guess Pronger's better all around, but Grossmann is a stud defensively and now signed for a while.

You guys do have a lot of depth, but I think we do too. Both of our goalies have similarly good and bad stretches. I thought the difference would be the elite talent. I consider Giroux elite, but I figured having two elite players in Crosby and Malkin would give us the edge. Players don't always play to their potential in a series though. A role player will play way over his head and an elite player may be held in check like Malkin has been so far. Couturier up front and Grossmann on the back end seem to be the match-up against Geno most of the time and they've done an excellent job.

Thanks for the civil response.

I'm actually glad Pronger and his "nazi" like attitude is gone. And I like what grossmann has brought to the backend. We needed some physicality in front of our net. Couturier has been unbelievable for a kid all season long.

Obviously you guys have a lot more depth than #87 and #71. Neal has been a beast for you guys this year. Kennedy always seems to score big goals against the Flyers. Staal is what we hope Couturier ends up being. Kunitz is always a gamer, and I was pissed when Philly let Asham walk.

Good luck next game, but not too much good luck! Cheers.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Mondello
One, and out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post

I'm actually glad Pronger and his "nazi" like attitude is gone. And I like what grossmann has brought to the backend. We needed some physicality in front of our net. Couturier has been unbelievable for a kid all season long.

Obviously you guys have a lot more depth than #87 and #71. Neal has been a beast for you guys this year. Kennedy always seems to score big goals against the Flyers. Staal is what we hope Couturier ends up being. Kunitz is always a gamer, and I was pissed when Philly let Asham walk.

Seriously, now. Thank you for your kind and charitable words.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Seriously, now. Thank you for your kind and charitable words.

I'm guessing he meant overall and not in this series. Couturier has outplayed Staal in this series, but Staal is a lock for 20+ goals and solid defense every year when healthy. I guess that's the hope for Couturier as well. I think Couturier is going to blow right past Staal at some point though. I just think he's more talented offensively.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Karnage420*

Quote:
He's not relevant?
spelled hilariously wrong.

Karnage420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Karnage420*

Quote:

unreal how you guys landed couturier at the draft tho. those 8-9 franchises who drafted before you should fire their respective GMs instantly. just pathetic to let him drop so far for really no reason.

Karnage420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
spelled hilariously wrong.

Looks like we both spelled it wrong.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
unreal how you guys landed couturier at the draft tho. those 8-9 franchises who drafted before you should fire their respective GMs instantly. just pathetic to let him drop so far for really no reason.

I was hoping Hamilton would fall to us. When Couturier did, I couldn't believe it. I was shocked when the Jets took Scheifele ahead of him, and I see Scheifele play on a weekly basis. But it was definately luck that he dropped to Philly.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
KIRK

Just a couple of FYI's from Yohe . . .

Josh Yohe ‏ @JoshYohe_Trib
Niskanen sounds intent on trying to play but clearly isn't 100 percent yet. Says he will risk injury to play.

Tom Fitzgerald on ice for practice. He was a defensively sound player. Maybe he will offer good advice.

Maybe someone will tweet Yohe back and ask if there's any chance of Fitzy behind the bench tomorrow too?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
I was in disbelief he fell that far (so was Howson, I expect). Thought he would go 3rd.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
I was hoping Hamilton would fall to us. When Couturier did, I couldn't believe it. I was shocked when the Jets took Scheifele ahead of him, and I see Scheifele play on a weekly basis. But it was definately luck that he dropped to Philly.
I still don't know why the Isles didn't take Couts. They've already got their #1 Centerman, Couts would have been a perfect number 2. Kid just seems to have great poise. Shuts down Malkin and pisses him off while doing so. Everybody said that our rookies would be our downfall, yet here they are, the heart and soul.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryb View Post
I still don't know why the Isles didn't take Couts. They've already got their #1 Centerman, Couts would have been a perfect number 2. Kid just seems to have great poise. Shuts down Malkin and pisses him off while doing so. Everybody said that our rookies would be our downfall, yet here they are, the heart and soul.
That kid is flat out awesome and he's tooling Malkin. I'm really impressed with the Flyers overall, especially without JVR and Pronger.

I thought, like many people that you guys getting rid of Richards, Carter and company would set you back. Not so.

The Pens started reading their own press clippings and it shows.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:24 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
That kid is flat out awesome and he's tooling Malkin. I'm really impressed with the Flyers overall, especially without JVR and Pronger.

I thought, like many people that you guys getting rid of Richards, Carter and company would set you back. Not so.

The Pens started reading their own press clippings and it shows.
Paul Holmgren, rebuild on the fly.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
NeedleInTheHay

The only silver lining is if the Flyers win, there's no way they're going to beat either NYR or Boston with their crap defense. Neither team is going anywhere from this series with the way both teams are playing D.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
DeadGator401

If there's any team, who can collapse worse than the Penguins have, it's the Flyers.

DeadGator401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Sivek

I'm still somewhat optimistic that the Pens can pull out of the 2-0 deficit despite their atrocious defensive play and the fact it's been trending in this manner for a while now. Hopefully Fitzgerald can work some type of black magic on the defense core in his on-ice appearance, a blood sacrifice of Martin's nose or something of the like.

The only real reason for my optimism is that I find it hard to believe that the defense/goal-tending can continue to play so poorly. It makes me feel better than being pessimistic about things.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

ps: ignore Rocky

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
chosen

Rangers fan here who is rooting hard for Pitt in this series.

Haven't been following the chatter on your boards, but it seems to me that Fleury is nowhere near his best game, not that he is getting all that much support, but still....

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

ps: ignore Rocky
This is exactly what they need!

The part they need to listen to the most is "You're like a big bear."

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:42 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:

Honestly, in the next couple of years WE'LL be hoping Staal turned out like Couturier not the other way around, you guys are lucky with those two rookies and Giroux, and it pains me to say that

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:19 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Will never give up till elimination (if it does happen). Let's go Pens! Crush them tomorrow and straighten up that D - watching the Blues game right now and WOW what a difference watching good defense looks compared to ours

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:38 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Some teams do it better from behind. Ask Detroit and Washington how it feels to take it from behind.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
Some teams do it better from behind. Ask Detroit and Washington how it feels to take it from behind.
That's some good pun work wheels.

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Miss Ausguins
FOCAF Member #1

I think some Inspiration is needed here and hopefully Sid and the boys can regain their Mojos

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:45 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Just a couple of FYI's from Yohe . . .

Niskanen sounds intent on trying to play but clearly isn't 100 percent yet. Says he will risk injury to play.

Tom Fitzgerald on ice for practice. He was a defensively sound player. Maybe he will offer good advice.

Maybe someone will tweet Yohe back and ask if there's any chance of Fitzy behind the bench tomorrow too?
Why is Fitz around? i figured he would be with his family, although i hear he may tryout for GM of Montreal? if that's the case, come back to the Pens.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
muffinarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
let's be clear here:
we lost first game in overtime:
we lost second game after having 5:4 lead

it's not like we have been dismantled, bounce here or there, and more effort (if these players are capable of-I don't know anymore) and that can give us an edge here to win
I disagree as I believe the Penguins have been completely dismantled by Philly's aggressive forecheck and have surrendered odd man rush after odd man rush. There is no way any halfway competent team blows a three goal lead, 2 two goal leads and 2 one goal leads in just over two full hockey games. This Pens team was just way too overconfident coming in and allowed their late season bad habits to continue. What a complete waste. Hopefully Philly puts us out of our misery quickly.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote