HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Would you trade Kessel ?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Kessel ?
Yes, he must go 15 4.72%
No, we need him 130 40.88%
Yes. But only for the right offer. 173 54.40%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
People who have a strong opinion of Burke based on his body of work as the leafs GM are not bias they dislike his results. Please explain how this is bias. The issue is that he has failed. I can not for the life of me think that any other GM would not have addressed our goaltending this past year. Even JFJ who everyone still blames tried to address this need. Burke being the genius that people on here defending sees no need. Defend that!

Its okay to dislike his results, I just don't understand why you would say Burke said things publicly that only seem to exist in your mind. So where is the post and quote from Burke "promising" things to the fans? Looking forward to it!!!

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:37 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomkid View Post
If anyone is watching any of hte playoff games, you can clearly tell that you need physical players. Just look at NYR, they kept bothering Karlson and it rattled him a bit. Any team we play, they are just gonan target Kessel and Kessel wont be able to do anything. We need antother superstar who isnt afraid to hit or tkae a hit.
I am watching the Flyers game and its not for the faint of heart....what a game.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Seeing as we are a bottom team in need of a change I find it pretty telling that there is no rumors about other teams wanting Kessel. Not even fans of other teams come with sneaky transfer bids.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
I am watching the Flyers game and its not for the faint of heart....what a game.
Great hockey. Hope Crosby gets nailed.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Its okay to dislike his results, I just don't understand why you would say Burke said things publicly that only seem to exist in your mind. So where is the post and quote from Burke "promising" things to the fans? Looking forward to it!!!
I have yet to have the ability to put words in people's mouths and have them speak them at a press conference......he stated how his team's play......the Toronto star also thought that Burke made the same promise as this was the title of the article after his press conference "Burke promises more Leaf toughness" my mind is not the issue.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Seeing as we are a bottom team in need of a change I find it pretty telling that there is no rumors about other teams wanting Kessel. Not even fans of other teams come with sneaky transfer bids.
nobody on hf wants kessel...we should trade him

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
I have yet to have the ability to put words in people's mouths and have them speak them at a press conference......he stated how his team's play......the Toronto star also thought that Burke made the same promise as this was the title of the article after his press conference "Burke promises more Leaf toughness" my mind is not the issue.
Yet you seem to think you have that ability and have been constantly trying to do that very same thing. Stating how your teams play, is not a promise at all. If you fail to recognize that, I cant help you. Again please quote Burke making promises to the fans through the media, or it didnt happen and you made it up.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I'm not sure if you coherently put up this post filled with contradiction. First you begin that all "Good GMs make smart moves in Hindsight, thus that is what defines a good GM". Then go on to say that "you cannot tell the future". Either you don't understand what hindsight means, or you are going in circles again. You ask how else does a GM get graded. It's isnt black and white, and several factors come in to play. One way to grade a GM is the shape of the team today, and how good they are and successful. If Burke were to be graded today on the above, he would be graded a fail on how successful they were this year, yet what is the appropriate ammount of time fairly given. He gets a pass as far as i'm concerned with upgrading the talent on the team, the depth and the prospects. Regardless, you have not been shy about your dislike towards Burke, don't kid yourself, your posts always reek of bias and dislike towards him so there will never be a positive post. You among many others enjoy stiring the pot, and will continue to push your disliking agenda towards Burke as you have for a while now.
My avatar is clearly mocking Burke for being the NHLs garbage man. He collects garbage. I don't think I could make my dislike for him any clearer. Thanks.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
People who have a strong opinion of Burke based on his body of work as the leafs GM are not bias they dislike his results. Please explain how this is bias. The issue is that he has failed. I can not for the life of me think that any other GM would not have addressed our goaltending this past year. Even JFJ who everyone still blames tried to address this need. Burke being the genius that people on here defending sees no need. Defend that!
Did you voice your concern over goaltending last year? Or are we talking purely out of hindsight here? How would you have addressed the need at G last year? Mike Smith? Vokoun? Theodore?

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Did you voice your concern over goaltending last year? Or are we talking purely out of hindsight here? How would you have addressed the need at G last year? Mike Smith? Vokoun? Theodore?
Hmmm. Mike Smith would be a pricey guy to get. Dale Tallon had Theodore all over his radar, and I don't think Vokoun helps the Leafs that much. To me the Leafs problems are deeper than a borderline #1 goaltender but the combination of their slow defence and weak forwards. If you watch the games, you tend to notice that the Leafs spend the lion's share of the game in their own end. I don't think that's the goalies fault! haha

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
My avatar is clearly mocking Burke for being the NHLs garbage man. He collects garbage. I don't think I could make my dislike for him any clearer. Thanks.
Haha. I was beginning to wonder about your avatar but the way you explain it makes quite a bit of sense. Gotta have some humor supporting this team I guess.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Yet you seem to think you have that ability and have been constantly trying to do that very same thing. Stating how your teams play, is not a promise at all. If you fail to recognize that, I cant help you. Again please quote Burke making promises to the fans through the media, or it didnt happen and you made it up.
You win...you have wore me down I do not have the stamina for this debate as I once had. I am afraid that I can not longer compete as hard as I once could. It may be time to hang up common sense as it appears that it is not what is required anymore.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Please read the whole thread before commenting as I posted a post in this thread that proved that my concerns about goaltending was not hindsight.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Hand View Post
Hmmm. Mike Smith would be a pricey guy to get. Dale Tallon had Theodore all over his radar, and I don't think Vokoun helps the Leafs that much. To me the Leafs problems are deeper than a borderline #1 goaltender but the combination of their slow defence and weak forwards. If you watch the games, you tend to notice that the Leafs spend the lion's share of the game in their own end. I don't think that's the goalies fault! haha

My point was that this board is notorious for armchair experts opining over the team's shortcomings with the benefit of hindsight, as if the 'solutions' were obvious to everyone all along. GM's are forced to gamble on certain situations, and they fail more than they succeed. Its laughable when people criticize after the fact, when hindsight is their only means of validating a point. Nobody saw Smith being this good when he has struggled and been traded frequently throughout his career.

Reimer gave Burke every reason to trust him, and barring injury, he might have been the difference this year. When he went down, Gus played very well, and was the main reason playoffs were even a consideration.

I think Luongo could very well end up in Toronto next season, especially with his playoff struggles in VAN. Burke has a history of trusting his staff in terms of making personnel decisions. Nonis is probably campaigning for this, and I can see Burke backing it.Mixed feelings, as it displaces Reimer, and Im not sold on his composure levels. The asking price will never be lower for a so called elite tender; not sure its an opportunity you pass up. Schenn would be a key piece, no doubt.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Please read the whole thread before commenting as I posted a post in this thread that proved that my concerns about goaltending was not hindsight.
read thru 17 pages in order to ask you a question? nah...besides, the thread doesn't go back to pre season.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
That John Tavares is horrible! Same with Eric Staal.

Just because you're on a bottom feeder, doesn't mean you can get moved.

besides, Kessel is the most underrated player around here.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 04-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.
RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
diceman934

Quote:
read thru 17 pages in order to ask you a question? nah...besides, the thread doesn't go back to pre season.
You just did like always is your way and posted without reading this thread. I posted in February of 2011 that I did not believe Reimer would be the answer and I wanted to be wrong. I reposted one of the posts from that same thread in this thread when another person thought that they would use the hindsight angle as well. Seems to be a frequently used way to attack others on here.

Burke made a major error when he failed to address his goaltending at some point in the season.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
You win...you have wore me down I do not have the stamina for this debate as I once had. I am afraid that I can not longer compete as hard as I once could. It may be time to hang up common sense as it appears that it is not what is required anymore.
it really wasn`t that difficult. You`ve been chirping about Burke making promises and not following through, I simply asked for a quote from Burke confirming this acusation. for someone so adamant that Burke has made so many promises to the fans through the media, quoting just one should be a very easy task. You seem very passionate and upset of all these broken promises from Burke, you should easily cite many examples of this.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:43 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
That John Tavares is horrible! Same with Eric Staal.

Just because you're on a bottom feeder, doesn't mean you can get moved.

besides, Kessel is the most underrated player around here.
I think you missed my point. There have been loads of rumors about those guys, but none about Kessel, to my knowledge anyway.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-15-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
04-15-2012, 05:50 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think you missed my point. There have been loads of rumors about those guys, but none about Kessel, to my knowledge anyway.

That is exactly my point.
I do think most people, GMs, coaches and fans alike, are impressed with his goalscoring. But looking at how the players who win things play, the attitude and approach towards the game they have, Kessel is not one of those guys. He looked invisible on a stacked Team USA in the Olympics, he grows even shorter against Boston, he rarely comes up like a savior when he is needed the most. Sure, he have his spells, like early in this season, but a season is 82 games and to be successful in this league, one of the toughest in the world, you need stamina and loads of determination, hence the need to work out in the gym.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:57 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
So you disagree? Ok, he was a major star on Team USA, he dominates against Boston and he always have that extra gear when he is needed the most. And he is a beast in the gym so I have heard.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Great hockey. Hope Crosby gets nailed.
Classy. What did Crosby ever do to you. Hard to respect someone who wants to see another injured or potential have their career ended.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
May be hard to comprehend, but it is likely Kessel is not available. No other team wants a young goal scorer who was 6th is scoring in the NHL, and some may say he didnt have a true number one center. Post of the year clearly goes to you.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
So you disagree? Ok, he was a major star on Team USA, he dominates against Boston and he always have that extra gear when he is needed the most. And he is a beast in the gym so I have heard.
I disagree with your ridiculous insinuation that Kessel's not a very valuable asset on the basis that middle school HFboard, arm-chaired GMs aren't hounding Kessel in Leaf related trade proposals, he was invisible in a tournament he played 10 minutes per game in (as did Bobby Ryan), and that he doesn't have stamina or the work ethic, etc, to be consistent in an 82 game season (even though he was one of the more consistent scoring forwards this past season and that he came into last season in the best shape of his life).

But, do carry on.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Toews won the Cup for them.
I respectively disagree, Chicago (as in the whole team) won the cup for Chicago. Were Toews and Kane huge factors? Absolutely, but I'd argue a player like Byfuglien was just as instrumental for them during that particular run.

A sole individual can't win a cup on his own, not even Crosby. The make up of individuals is what wins championships.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote