HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Bob?

Old
04-19-2012, 08:24 AM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
What to do with Bob?

He's too good to be a backup, but Bryz is the #1 due to salary. Does he get moved in the offseason and blossom like a flower than can eat bears? (Bryz logic at the end)

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:27 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Package him with something else to get a good young d-man.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:27 AM
thelos
Bunk

Trade him to CBJ

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
BillDineen

IMO Bob played very well until that 6 GA game around February. It has been downhill since and last night's performance was awful. I do not know what he could be traded for. Not much would be my guess.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Unless you get a great deal for him I would keep him as the back up and teach him up some more. This team just needs to learn how to play defense in front of him. His confidence has to be the lowest ever, but that is the defenses fault.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:45 AM
SilkyMitts

cory schneider is the one thats too good to be a backup, not bob

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:02 AM
ICAPNASTYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
He's too good to be a backup, but Bryz is the #1 due to salary. Does he get moved in the offseason and blossom like a flower than can eat bears? (Bryz logic at the end)

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Unless you get a great deal for him I would keep him as the back up and teach him up some more. This team just needs to learn how to play defense in front of him. His confidence has to be the lowest ever, but that is the defenses fault.
I would trade him for whatever you can get for him and then sign a reliable veteran backup for next season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I said they should have traded him at the draft last year when his stock was highest. While I still think he could fetch a decent return, his stock has done nothing but fall since the season started. He's not needed here and his salary is too high for a backup. Trade him for a pick or something and sign a backup to a one year deal, then let Hovinen come in in 2013-14.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
You can't blame his poor performance on the D. Bob has been flat out brutal this season. I'd trade him for whatever future we can get.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ya so, I thought we could have gotten a late first out of him but that is quickly diminishing.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I said they should have traded him at the draft last year when his stock was highest. While I still think he could fetch a decent return, his stock has done nothing but fall since the season started. He's not needed here and his salary is too high for a backup. Trade him for a pick or something and sign a backup to a one year deal, then let Hovinen come in in 2013-14.
TBH, I don't think his stock was ever all that high. Even as last season went on you could see teams starting to shoot high on him.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
TBH, I don't think his stock was ever all that high. Even as last season went on you could see teams starting to shoot high on him.
Well it's not like Bob is the only young goalie to have problems. Varlarmov, Lindback, Bernier, etc etc all have some sort of deficiencies. I think his trade value wasnt AS high as what Varlarmov was, but I dont think a late first or 2nd was out of the question, and thats pretty high value.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:47 AM
McNasty

Bob isn't going to be a starting goalie until he stops making himself so small in the net on shots.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

He still should net a 2nd rounder. I mean the dude has a tough job being a backup..he's never really been afforded much momentum. Froese was the last backup we had that I can remember that would come in cold constantly and do well....although Boosh was not too bad at it. This is Bob's first year trying to adjust as a backup. Last year he was trying to adjust being a rookie and playing in the best league in the world. I mean let's be a little more objective here with Bob....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well it's not like Bob is the only young goalie to have problems. Varlarmov, Lindback, Bernier, etc etc all have some sort of deficiencies. I think his trade value wasnt AS high as what Varlarmov was, but I dont think a late first or 2nd was out of the question, and thats pretty high value.
We'll agree to disagree. IMO Bob's highest value was a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan
He still should net a 2nd rounder. I mean the dude has a tough job being a backup..he's never really been afforded much momentum. Froese was the last backup we had that I can remember that would come in cold constantly and do well....although Boosh was not too bad at it. This is Bob's first year trying to adjust as a backup. Last year he was trying to adjust being a rookie and playing in the best league in the world. I mean let's be a little more objective here with Bob....
Who's not being objective? You seem to be making excuses for him, but you are claiming that others aren't being objective?

Bob started off great because there was no "book" on him, not even at the AHL level, and he relied heavily on his lateral quickness to make saves. Once the scouting report was out on him, teams starts to shoot high on him because as good as he is on low shots, he's very weak on high shots. This continued this season and he has been mediocre at best.

With so much invested in Bryz, this team needs a reliable veteran backup, not a struggling young goalie who is still learning how to play in the NHL.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Either way we need to move Bob along.

He has no future in this organization.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

That's fine. I dont see him having more or less value than Lindback (same exact stats, actually better and most consider Lindback's value a 2nd round pick) and Varlarmov who was playing as bad as Bob was and still got a good return. Ben Bishop got a 2nd round pick and he hasnt done **** at the NHL level.

Last edited by sa cyred: 04-19-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
04-19-2012, 10:11 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

People forget what BOB looked as a consistent starter.

Once Lavi yanked near the end if the season and threw him into the carousel with the giant BUM Boucher and LOLeighton, he pretty much sealed Bob's fate on this team.

He hasn't produced on an level near since.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Who's not being objective? You seem to be making excuses for him, but you are claiming that others aren't being objective?

Bob started off great because there was no "book" on him, not even at the AHL level, and he relied heavily on his lateral quickness to make saves. Once the scouting report was out on him, teams starts to shoot high on him because as good as he is on low shots, he's very weak on high shots. This continued this season and he has been mediocre at best.

With so much invested in Bryz, this team needs a reliable veteran backup, not a struggling young goalie who is still learning how to play in the NHL.
I don't totally buy into this book....Bob is like Bryz who needs a lot of games to be more effective. He's not perfect and has holes as any goalie does but dude is like 23 and this year he's been kind of jerked around a lot with this new backup role he has to adjust to. It's not an excuse..it's a reality. Bob is all about reps..and although he works like a fiend in practice it doesn't simulate actual game action. I'm willing to bet that if Bob this year would have been given as many chances to prove himself like Bryz was b/c of his contract..he would have done just fine and been more consistent than Bryz IMO but we'll never know. I just think you really have to look at this from the POV that he is learning a new role and it's not easy to adjust to. This is not an excuse at all but if you want to look at it that way you have a right to your opinion...

Old
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Bobrovsky needs a goalie coach to teach him to be big in his net.

Like most goalies, he's a long term project. Since the Flyers have settled on a long term starter, Bob could benefit from playing a back-up role for a few years.

If the Flyers aren't comfortable with him coming off the bench, they need to move him, though.

04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
DrHamburg

very athletic goalie who cannot protect the top of the net, if he can fix that he will be a solid starter. if you can unload him or a first or a young good d-man you do it. if not, try to develop him, still own his rights for a long time.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Bobrovsky needs a goalie coach to teach him to be big in his net.

Like most goalies, he's a long term project. Since the Flyers have settled on a long term starter, Bob could benefit from playing a back-up role for a few years.

If the Flyers aren't comfortable with him coming off the bench, they need to move him, though.
That's just it....what will be his role on this team and what does he have to learn to be...a backup or a starter?

Last year he had to learn to be a starter and how to play in the league. Massive tall order which he did pretty good at in the first half at least. This year which is even harder IMO given his motivated demeanor ..is that he's trying to learn how to be a backup and come in cold. That takes a lot of experience and that's why even an avg player like Boosh who has solidified himself as a backup in the NHL due to his last stint here (not unlike Biron) was pretty good at it.

Right now IMO Bob is not being developed properly but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I do believe he will be a starter in this league..but unfortunately it's not looking like it will be here unless Bryz totally implodes which is not totally out of the question. I think they need to try to hang on to him in this final yr and see if Bryz can be more mentally consistent next year.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
This . His speed makes him look great side to side, but he is so small in the net the shooting high book is out on him. Peak value was maybe late 2nd rounder, now , no more than a 4th or 5th. Ditch him and bring in a cheap vet back up ( Biron, Mason) and move on.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
That's fine. I dont see him having more or less value than Lindback (same exact stats, actually better and most consider Lindback's value a 2nd round pick) and Varlarmov who was playing as bad as Bob was and still got a good return. Ben Bishop got a 2nd round pick and he hasnt done **** at the NHL level.
IMO you can't compare Varlamov to Bob since Varlamov was a known commodity (1st round pick vs an unsigned FA). Just because of that Varlamov's value is higher. But, I don't seem to recall a time when Varlamov's play was "as bad as Bob"? Varlamov finished last season with a 2.23 GAA and .924 save %age. Bob's was 2.59 and .915.

Honestly I don't know how Lindback's value is that high. He's been mediocre at the AHL level.

Bishop hasn't done anything at the NHL level, but the scouting reports are very high on him. His size alone helps him out quite a bit.

That said he's clearly not in the Flyers long term plans. IMO get what you can in the offseason for him and sign a veteran backup.