HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth... I see trouble ahead

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
So lets get this straight.

We're paying the following hockey players this much to be completely useless on this club:

Barker 2.250M
Eager 1.1M
Whitney 4.0M
Khabi 3.75M
Horcoff 5.5M
Peckham 1.08M
Hemsky 5M(was useless this year)
Potter .775M

We're buying out 2.4M for Souray this season, still buying out Nilsson apparently for another .416M, Brule for another .925M

But Smyth knowing all this contractual wastage would want more than 2M and its an immediate GTFO of town reaction from the fanbase.

Yeah I don't get it.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Yeah the best way to make up for ****** contracts is to add another one....

Old
04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
In what world does Smyth deserve more money than Todd Bertuzzi (2.075)?

Or Curtis Glencross(2.55)?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
ales83fan

Why are people comparing hemsky to smyth.

When smyth was hemsky's age, he signed for over 6M.....so actually hemsky took a paycut at 5.

The reason we are not signing him is he is useless. He does nothing for this team going forward.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:15 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

We're paying the following hockey players this much to be completely useless on this club:

Barker 2.250M
Eager 1.1M
Whitney 4.0M
Khabi 3.75M
Horcoff 5.5M
Peckham 1.08M
Potter .775M

We're buying out 2.4M for Souray this season, still buying out Nilsson apparently for another .416M, Brule for another .925M

But Smyth knowing all this contractual wastage would want more than 2M and its an immediate GTFO of town reaction from the fanbase.

Yeah I don't get it.
So because the Oilers have some inflated contracts, Smyth should hold out for more money? I don't quite understand that logic.

The bottom line is that the Oilers did him a favor by trading for him so that he could play where he wants to play, i highly doubt that he was even on the Oilers radar before the trade request so they didn't have to grant him his wish.

He is also close to the end of his career and his skills are clearly greatly diminished so why not give a little back to the team and take a little less money. Does he think that he's going to get much more than a Bertuzzi level contract?
He should realize that he's not the same player that he was before, he's a bottom 6 player. He should also realize that he's playing in the city that he loves and that he's financially set for life.
A Bertuzzi level contract is not an insult. Sign the damn contract, take a lesser role with the team and be a leader for the youngsters while you play out the rest of your days in the place that you love. Will his ego allow it? I'm not so sure.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Barker 2.250M
Eager 1.1M
Whitney 4.0M
Khabi 3.75M
Horcoff 5.5M
Peckham 1.08M
Potter .775M

Yeah I don't get it.
According to the Hot Stove tonight, Smyth was offered 2 years at Bertuzzi money. The ball is in his court, and if he wants more it won't be from Edmonton. The line has been drawn and there won't be any waffling from management. He needs to realize he's only a third liner, and will get paid accordingly.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/video/#id=2222988167

Old
04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Ryan Smyth was apparently at Coyotes morning skate, too #oilers MT @cmorgancbsfoxaz Edmonton assistant GM Rick Olczyk in the house tonight.
Wouldn't this be some kind of tampering? Maybe not since he went there? I'm confused.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:

Barker 2.250M
Eager 1.1M
Whitney 4.0M
Khabi 3.75M
Horcoff 5.5M
Peckham 1.08M
Potter .775M

Yeah I don't get it.
In all fairness Hemsky wasn't as useless after his contract extension... perhaps his shoulder finally healed back to 100% around that time... Basically he started to look like Hemsky of old... without the bounces?

Old
04-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
In what world does Smyth deserve more money than Todd Bertuzzi (2.075)?

Or Curtis Glencross(2.55)?
In the Horcoff dimension he does.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:48 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Great, I guess we need to overpay more bottom 6 players. That's how you build a winning team.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:54 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Good on Tambellini. Boyhood hero, but Smyth ain't what he used to be. Take it or leave it.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I think we have better option at LW than Ryan Smyth would not break my heart to see him go I think he is expecting more than his worth. Besides can we really put up with another year of Horcoff and Smyth as our number 1 option 4on 4

Old
04-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Well, I look at a guy like Drury as a comparable. He was bought out after signing a silly contract. Of course health had something to do with it. Did the Rangers get forced into signing Callahan and Dubinsky to crazy deals because of the Drury contract?

Stamkos must have signed for more than Lecavalier right? Oh...he didn't...Stamkos has a 7.5M cap hit, Vinny has a 7.727M cap hit (on a crazy long deal).

Smyth has to negotiate his own deal. "Comparables" mean nothing for UFAs. It's what you can get on the open market that matters...or what a desperate team is willing to pay you before you hit that market.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
dookers9

The optics are never good when a player pleads to return to a shafted team who then looks the proverbial gift horse in the mouth and lets him walk.

But impressions are our last concern. Fact: Smyth is not going to be a top-6 Oilers forward. Fact: He isn't due top-6 forward money. Fact: Someone will have space for him on the roster, and the salary he feels he deserves.

He's as good as gone. And that's ok. He'll be a UFA who once again chooses his destiny. It doesn't mean that he's inauthentic in his desire to have returned to play here, just that he isn't yet set to concede the twilight of his career and he figures he's worth more than the offer of both bucks and ice time.

At the end of the day, it'll be best for everybody. No hard feelings, imo.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:

Barker 2.250M (Experiment over... 1 year gamble that came up snake eyes)

Eager 1.1M (definitely worth 1.1 M and even more if he is used correctly)

Whitney 4.0M (worth it if he's injury free which isn't really a fault of management... they may have known he was injury prone but impossible to know it would be this bad)

Khabi 3.75M (overpaid and busted as a player... BUT his good stretch this year was about as good and as long as Smyth last year).

Horcoff 5.5M (sucks but what are you going to do with that albatross that was signed moons ago... certainly there's a lot of regret with that contract but Smyth wasn't worth what he made this year either)

Peckham 1.08M (worth it if he would have continued to play like he did 2 years ago... regressing back to near useless wasn't anticipated.)

Hemsky 5M(was useless this year) Yes he was near useless and it was certainly an overpayment but that was a loyalty contract from a guy who spent his entire career here and his injuries are the only reasons he's gone to hell in a handbasket. It's a big gamble that he'll live up to that contract ... but it's for 2 years and he's young enough and talented enough to make that pay off iF he plays up to his full abilities.

Potter .775M (Tiny contract... not worth *****ing about as they need defensive depth and that's just what he provides.)

We're buying out 2.4M for Souray (cancer... glad he's gone and there was no way they could have traded him at his full salary without taking other crap back that was as bad or worse) this season, still buying out Nilsson apparently for another .416M (tough luck but he wasn't an NHL calibre player... good riddance), Brule for another .925M (had issues and happy to see him get a start somewhere else... nothing remotely comparable to the Smyth situation)

Yeah I don't get it.
Smyth is worth 2-2.5 million max and 2 years max term. More than that for a 3rd liner who's past his prime is too much. If we could somehow drop Horcoff down to 2.5 million as well that would be equivalent value to Smyth. Like others have said, don't give Smyth big money just because others on the team (Horcoff/Hemsky) are overpaid as well. Smyth had his huge payday contracts in the past... Hemsky may be getting his big reward contract payoff now but has more chance at being elite again whereas Smyth is clearly on the downside of his career. I don't mind Smyth but enough is enough... play for a reasonable $2-2.5 million salary or GTFO.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 04-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

We did Smyth a favor, bringing him back despite his massive cap hit that he would NEVER live up to. If he wants to be a PITA to negotiate with yet again then he can get the hell out. We don't need a "leader" that squeezes every friggin' penny that he can out of the team, besides we already have one of those guys. Ryan Smyth is an afterthought on this team, we could lose him and not miss much of a beat next year.

04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:

Barker 2.250M
Eager 1.1M
Whitney 4.0M
Khabi 3.75M
Horcoff 5.5M
Peckham 1.08M
Potter .775M

Yeah I don't get it.
Right, because its like if you've drunk too much and you start vomiting and blacking out, you might as well grab another bottle of hard liquor and pound it. Because the best way to follow up a series of mistakes is with more mistakes!

Old
04-15-2012, 12:00 AM
dobiezeke*

smyth_crying_640.jpg

Think about my kids!

Old
04-15-2012, 12:03 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

In reality, this is probably just negotiation and a reflection of what Smyth was asking for. Meaning, Smyth asked for $4M so they countered with $2M. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers are willing to go up to $2.5M. If that's not enough for Smyth then **** him.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Attachment 55287

Think about my kids!
We're all someone's kids. Difference is most of us are not millionaires.

Not to sound like a jerk....but we're talking about over a million dollars here. It'll take us over 10 years to make that, heck close to 15 if not 20 in most cases. He's being greedy. Plus let's take a second and think about the 6M contract for what 4 years that he signed previously. He hasn't done too shabby this guy.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post

Not to sound like a jerk....but we're talking about over a million dollars here. It'll take us over 10 years to make that, heck close to 15 if not 20 in most cases. He's being greedy. Plus let's take a second and think about the 6M contract for what 4 years that he signed previously. He hasn't done too shabby this guy.
Hmmm 07 relapse much?... reminds me about the first time over a million or two

Will he cry the second time?

Old
04-15-2012, 12:25 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post

I guess I forgot the sarcasm smilie...figured the "wailing Smyth" was self explanatory

Old
04-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Smyth is in for a rude awakening come July 1st.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:31 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Smyth is in for a rude awakening come July 1st.
And he deserves it. The offer is on the table and Tamby is playing hardball. I know you hate the guy but he's doing the right thing.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

So according to everybody else in the thread its Smyth that should pay for every other blunder contract the team has made because dammit, we're not making another one..sorry Smyth, we're serious negotiating management again when you're up.

Smyth now being deemed expendable despite Smyth being one of the only remotely useful vets on this team, playing 82GP on an injury riddled team, playing massive minutes and pk and hitting a wall.

How many players expended enough effort to hit the wall this season?

This board is decidely reactive and of the what have you done for me lately thinking.

Fortunately the paying fans at Rexall were giving Smyth standing ovations early in the season. More Smyth jerseys have been sold out there than possibly any other player on the club.

But screw em. We can always spend the money next season on more project fill. The Smyth $ is sure to be better spent part 2.

Ryan Jones, the new improved Smyth.

Makes me wanna vomit.

Closed Thread