HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2012 WHL Bantam Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
  #51
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
5'10" and 140lbs is not bad for a 15 year old kid.

If skating is an issue then that could hinder but based on points totals I'd like to know who his line mates are... He's not amassing all those points on his own (especially if you say skating is an issue). Do they have a few natural set up guys helping him? Start looking at those type players.
Hes not very big now (hes not small though) & I dont "think" hes going to be very big at all. Hes skating at the Bantam AAA level isnt an issue, but I think it will be going forward. Just not a real good skater.
His linemates are good. One is a very, very elite 1st year forward (Benson) , the other a very hardworking kid who does alot of the spade work (Greenly).
Hes obviously very skilled, I just think those shortcoming (as they are now) will affect him going forward.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
  #52
PokeCheck101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Thanks Alybaba for the validation.

I would be looking at who's getting him the puck and this Benson sounds interesting.

Folks if everyone has caught the last page of the SK Bantam AA thread we've been discussing the current SK situation: Dropping teams, moving toward AAA, etc, etc. For those in AB I'd be interested in your guys' perspective on your AAA bantam system from a few stand points:

1. Politics: Are the right kids making it? And is the process perceived to be fair

2. Coaching: Are all your AAA coaches paid? Can you comment on the quality of coaching, ie) practices, games (fair play) and what the coaching selection entails

3. Travel: What are some of the challenges

3. Parents: What is the overall satisfaction level in the AAA system

Thanks. Hoping to generate some interesting view points

PokeCheck101 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:09 PM
  #53
RetiredHockeyDad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alybaba View Post
Hes not very big now (hes not small though) & I dont "think" hes going to be very big at all. Hes skating at the Bantam AAA level isnt an issue, but I think it will be going forward. Just not a real good skater.
His linemates are good. One is a very, very elite 1st year forward (Benson) , the other a very hardworking kid who does alot of the spade work (Greenly).
Hes obviously very skilled, I just think those shortcoming (as they are now) will affect him going forward.
By the time he plays in the WHL, he will be at least 6'0" and 170 lbs which is bigger than a lot of forwards in the league. As far as skating you have to remember, Brendan Ranford wasn't the best skater in AMBHL either and he has had a pretty good WHL career. The next closest player (other than Benson) in points is Merkley, who is 27 points back and he plays with the very talented Shmyr. SSAC wouldn't be in first place without Estephan. Estephan will be picked in the top 10 in this year's Bantam Draft and will one day be in the top 20 in WHL scoring. I have guessed wrong before, only time will tell.

RetiredHockeyDad is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
  #54
RetiredHockeyDad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Every so often, someone else posts that the draft age should be changed. And for the next 20 years people will post that the draft age should change. It won't change now or in the near future whether people like it or they don't. The present system works well for the WHL, so why mess with it.

One of the top WHL teams this year (Oil Kings) seem to like the players they drafted:
2007 M. Pysyk, TJ Foster
2008 M. St. Croix, L. Brossoit, T. Ewanyk, R. Dech, K. Lowe
2009 G. Reinhart, M. Moroz, T. Sieben
2010 C. Lazar, M. Geertsen, T. Jarry, C. Bensen

RetiredHockeyDad is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
  #55
mjw22
Registered User
 
mjw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: moosejaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHockeyDad View Post
Every so often, someone else posts that the draft age should be changed. And for the next 20 years people will post that the draft age should change. It won't change now or in the near future whether people like it or they don't. The present system works well for the WHL, so why mess with it.

One of the top WHL teams this year (Oil Kings) seem to like the players they drafted:
2007 M. Pysyk, TJ Foster
2008 M. St. Croix, L. Brossoit, T. Ewanyk, R. Dech, K. Lowe
2009 G. Reinhart, M. Moroz, T. Sieben
2010 C. Lazar, M. Geertsen, T. Jarry, C. Bensen
out of 10-12 picks a year having 3-4 succeed is pretty low and how many of the top 3 picks per team actually end up being top three players in their career 1of 3 ? times change but sometime old views never do even if its good for the game & the kids

mjw22 is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
  #56
RetiredHockeyDad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
out of 10-12 picks a year having 3-4 succeed is pretty low and how many of the top 3 picks per team actually end up being top three players in their career 1of 3 ? times change but sometime old views never do even if its good for the game & the kids
Actually, having 4 succeed is a successful draft. The make-up of a team would be 3-20 year olds, 4-19 year olds, 4-18 year olds, 4-17 year olds, 2-16 year olds and 2-Euros. The rest are acquired through trades, some of the players you drafted for drafted players from another team (K. Wilson, J. Peddle, T. Maxwell were Oil King trades for drafted players). Typically, each team has a couple of non-drafted players make the team (some players develop later - I believe D. Wruck was undrafted). Would the WHL teams have a higher success drafting 1st year Midgets - probably. But just like drafting Bantams, some 15-year old Midgets look like sure-fire stars and then don't pan-out down the road. The NHL wishes they had the same success rate at drafting players.

RetiredHockeyDad is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
  #57
RoyalRooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
I see a lot of bantam discussion on this site . With the high number of 1-2 round picks that don't pan out as predicted would a 16 yr old draft lesson the chances of this happening. The other two CHL leagues do this. I would think you would get a better read on development etc with one more year. Anyone know why it is 15 not 16 . Seems there are a lot of list players that out perform drafted players mainly due to the fact IMO that they get listed at 16 or later and have developed into better players.
I agree with you completely ! Another year in Midget AAA would do a high % of 16 year olds a whole bunch of good as far as development goes. Also I would like to see the overage increased from 3 to 5 players per team. Players could still get there 4 year scholarships by playing in the dub when they are 17, 18, 19 and 20 !

RoyalRooter is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
  #58
WesternHockeyScout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHockeyDad View Post
The NHL wishes they had the same success rate at drafting players
The NHL is also talking about moving their draft back a year.

WesternHockeyScout is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
  #59
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHockeyDad View Post
By the time he plays in the WHL, he will be at least 6'0" and 170 lbs which is bigger than a lot of forwards in the league. As far as skating you have to remember, Brendan Ranford wasn't the best skater in AMBHL either and he has had a pretty good WHL career. The next closest player (other than Benson) in points is Merkley, who is 27 points back and he plays with the very talented Shmyr. SSAC wouldn't be in first place without Estephan. Estephan will be picked in the top 10 in this year's Bantam Draft and will one day be in the top 20 in WHL scoring. I have guessed wrong before, only time will tell.
Those are fair comments. Ranfords a pretty good refrence too. But if memory serves (& it might not ) Ranfords CAC teams were not near as strong as SSAC's.
But its a very good point/comprable nontheless..

Sammy* is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
  #60
RetiredHockeyDad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookedbear View Post
I agree with you completely ! Another year in Midget AAA would do a high % of 16 year olds a whole bunch of good as far as development goes. Also I would like to see the overage increased from 3 to 5 players per team. Players could still get there 4 year scholarships by playing in the dub when they are 17, 18, 19 and 20 !
I agree with your comments. I believe the WHL and Junior A leagues are taking players way too early. Years ago it was rare to see a 15-year old on a Midget AAA team and it was rare to see a 16-year old in the WHL or Junior A. Now with the WHL and Junior A leagues ****** the Midget AAA leagues, the leagues are dominated by 15-year olds. The WHL should increase the number of 20 year olds and the Junior A leagues need to change their rules (I believe it is 5 players 17 or younger).

RetiredHockeyDad is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  #61
mjw22
Registered User
 
mjw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: moosejaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternHockeyScout View Post
The NHL is also talking about moving their draft back a year.

This is something I hope happens . there is no longer a rival league for players to go to if they don't like a 19 yr old draft. It keeps all players in the proper age groups 1 more year and that can't hurt. A limit of 2 16's and adding 1 - 2 20's would be better. As a season ticket holder in the dub a lot of nights I'm watching a glorified midget league.

mjw22 is offline  
Old
02-19-2012, 04:35 AM
  #62
TopScoutingDepo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Sleeper picks for 2012 bantam draft

The captain on surrey Colton Kroeker #7. This kid is a very gifted player strong skater great hands and very good vision.and he's 6ft tall.

TopScoutingDepo is offline  
Old
02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
  #63
lovetowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
top 10

here are the top 10 kids in the draft

matt barzel

nick merkley

brad morrison

gorgio estephan

tyler soy

glenn gadwin

ty shults

chris seto

adam musil

harkins

this years draft is very stong but these are the top 10 guys honorable mentions go to
ryan gardiner tate olson nick mcbride jordan kawaguchi

lovetowatch is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #64
Hockeycoach77
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan21 View Post
How about Albertan defensemen? I heard Reagan, Guhle and Boulton were ranked high.
I think naccarato with the MLAC is every bit as good as ghule and regan.

Hockeycoach77 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:44 PM
  #65
AlbertaHockey20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Brayden Ritchie - Defenseman
PAC Spruce Grove Saints Bantam AAA
6'1" 153 lbs
30GP 2G 13A 15PTS

Has big frame and lots of speed with a decent shot. The kicker is that this is only his second year playing out. He was a goalie before hand. His quickness and skating are improving immensely. PAC is hosting the Western Canadian Bantam Championships. His team is very weak, but hopefully a few take notice of him.

Damon Hetherington - Defenseman
CAC Lehigh Cement Bantam AAA (Edmonton)
5'11" 149lbs
7GP 1G 1A 2PTS

I'm not sure why he didn't play much this year. But he is a great puck mover and can quarterback the powerplay. Hopefully someone saw him before this year.

AlbertaHockey20 is offline  
Old
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
  #66
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
This is something I hope happens . there is no longer a rival league for players to go to if they don't like a 19 yr old draft. It keeps all players in the proper age groups 1 more year and that can't hurt. A limit of 2 16's and adding 1 - 2 20's would be better. As a season ticket holder in the dub a lot of nights I'm watching a glorified midget league.
first of all the NHL will never raise the draft age, its been argued in the supreme court that an 18 year old (an adult) should not have any obstruction to work. this will never get over turned nor should it. if a player is good enough at 18 to play in the NHL, why stop him, very few players make the NHL right out of their draft year anyways.

as for the limits in the DUB, they have a limit of 3 20 year olds for each team and thats plenty, its not a professional league, its a jr league. if you don't like the product your seeing get rid of your tickets and let someone who enjoys that level of hockey have them

hyster110 is offline  
Old
03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
  #67
Oilersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
What makes you think that?

Oilersfan21 is offline  
Old
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
  #68
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
What is Ty Ronning's upside? I seen him play in a provincial tourny last season and he showed great puckhandling and good speed but not much else. Can someone fill me in on his skills and weaknesses

SauceHockey is offline  
Old
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
  #69
Bearakuda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Any goalie predictions or insights?

Bearakuda is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 06:37 AM
  #70
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,947
vCash: 500
Where is Barzal playing out of now?

Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
  #71
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,459
vCash: 500
Is he still the consensus number one pick for the WHL draft this spring?

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
  #72
VicWHL101
Registered User
 
VicWHL101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Where is Barzal playing out of now?

He is playing for the Burnaby Winter Cub and although his team just lost the PCAHA Flight 1 bantam championship to the Cloverdale Colts. Even with the loss, his team will still be playing in the The Bantam Tier 1 Provincials which will take place from March 19-22 at the McArthur Island Sport & Event Centre in Kamloops, BC.

VicWHL101 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 10:14 PM
  #73
lovetowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
top 25 2012 bantam draft players

1. matt barza(F)l - 38 goals 63 asst - bwc

2. tyler soy(F) - 19 goal 55 asst - cloverdale

3. giorgio estephan(F) - 43 goals 57 asst - ssac

4. glenn gadwin (F)- 58 goals 32 asst - seafair

5. nick merkley(F) - 41 goals 32 asst - calgary bisons

6. brad morrison(F) - 80 goals 57 asst - oha

7. chris seto(F) - stats unavailable - cloverdale

8. ty shultz(D) - stats unavailable - bwc

9. tate olson(D) - 17goals 14 asst - saskatoon

10. joe gatenby(D) - 16 goals 31 asst - poe

11. adam musil (F)- stats unavailable - bwc

12. jansen harkins (F) - stats unavailable - nswc

13. Jayden Halbgewachs (F) - 55 goals 34 asst - balgonie

14. Thomas Lenchyshyn (D) - 5 goals 9 asst - eastman

15. Jordan Kawaguchi (F) - 57 goals 74 asst - poe

16. Ryan Gardiner (D) - 6 goals 10 asst - winnipeg

17. nick mcbride (G) - bwc

18. Colt Conrad(F) - 58 goals 54 asst - pembina valley

19. Terrell Draude (F) - 54 goals 40 asst - sask valley

20. ethan bear (D) - 12 goals 32 asst - poe

21. brady reagan (D) - 13 goals 51 asst - oha

22. Kirklan Lycar (F) - 45 goals 26 asst - northern knights

23. Chaz Reddekopp (D) - 13 goals 27 asst - poe

24. matt bradley (F) - 33 goals 57 asst - semiamhoo

25. Andrew Koep (F) 41 goals 20 asst - lloyd

lovetowatch is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
  #74
Oilersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
First-Second round predictions 2012 bantam draft

Anyone have any first and second round predictions about this years draft? If not, just the top 25 or so players?

Oilersfan21 is offline  
Old
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
  #75
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,484
vCash: 50
I saw Semiahmoo play SSAC at the John Reid Memorial tourney.

I thought Matt Bradley was the best player by quite a bit.

Giorgio is big and all but Bradley trucked him and did everything else better as well.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.