Notices

Ramo coming over?

Old
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Ramo coming over?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395478

nothing very insightful, but still interesting to read. Like I said, ever since the Cervenka signing, I have a feeling the flames brass is going to try and find a way to get Ramo over here ASAP and trade Kipper.

Thoughts?

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395478

nothing very insightful, but still interesting to read. Like I said, ever since the Cervenka signing, I have a feeling the flames brass is going to try and find a way to get Ramo over here ASAP and trade Kipper.

Thoughts?
I think its tough to say but I see one of a few scenarios playing out. The being (in no particular order)

1. Ramo stays in the KHL for 1 more year.
2. Kipper is traded and the Flames go with a Ramo/Irving duo.
3. Irving declines his qualifying offer and goes to Europe.
4. Irving is traded in a bigger deal.

I am encouraged by the fact he s willing to play behind Kiprusoff and is so eager to come over and the fact things change, especially in the KHL.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:05 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I think its tough to say but I see one of a few scenarios playing out. The being (in no particular order)

1. Ramo stays in the KHL for 1 more year.
2. Kipper is traded and the Flames go with a Ramo/Irving duo.
3. Irving declines his qualifying offer and goes to Europe.
4. Irving is traded in a bigger deal.

I am encouraged by the fact he s willing to play behind Kiprusoff and is so eager to come over and the fact things change, especially in the KHL.
If Feaster ****s things over with Irving, I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm sure Irving is runnign out of patience and wants a 1-way deal now. The best thing Feaster could do is get Ramo out of Russia (fingers crossed) and look for somewhere to move Kipper. He is the only one of those 3 that can bring in a significant return and it is time for changes. Since I'm betting Iginla is going nowhere, Kipper could be a piece of our core that is on the way out.

Last edited by The Gnome: 05-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
If Feaster ****s things over with Irving, I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm sure Irving is runnign out of patience and wants a 1-way deal now. The best thing Feaster could do is get Ramo out of Russia (fingers crossed) and look for somewhere to move Kipper. He is the only one of those 3 that can bring in a significant return and it is time for changes. Since I'm betting Iginla is going nowhere, Kipper could be a piece of our core that is on the way out.
Actually option 3 could be very good for both Irving and the Flames.

If he is not quite ready for the NHL it could be the perfect option. The KHL, SEL and SM-liiga are higher quality than the AHL IMO and if he leaves under those circumstances we would still own his NHL rights until the summer of 2015 (if my math is right).

Him going off to Europe for 1 year would allow us to see how he does as a starting in a top professional league, it would allow us to see if Ramo is ready to start in the NHL and it would allow us to have a stronger tandem next year with Kiprusoff as the #1 because afterall the team is still going to be trying to win.

There are already rumors that Irving wants a 1way contract and he can't be sent to the AHL because he would have to clear waivers. I am also not sure if Kipper will net us a better return, a larger one sure, but maybe not a better one. Irving will be the kind of goaltender that Tampa Bay or Columbus would be after, one they could potentially build around. Obviously he is a tier below the Bernier's and Schneider's but if the asking price on those guys is extremely high he could net a good return as he is more affordable, albeit more of a risk.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Actually option 3 could be very good for both Irving and the Flames.

If he is not quite ready for the NHL it could be the perfect option. The KHL, SEL and SM-liiga are higher quality than the AHL IMO and if he leaves under those circumstances we would still own his NHL rights until the summer of 2015 (if my math is right).

Him going off to Europe for 1 year would allow us to see how he does as a starting in a top professional league, it would allow us to see if Ramo is ready to start in the NHL and it would allow us to have a stronger tandem next year with Kiprusoff as the #1 because afterall the team is still going to be trying to win.
But if we wanted to get a max return for Kipper isn't this going to be the best time? He has 2 years left and the last year sees a huge drop in salary. You also have to assume that Irving wants to go play in Europe.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 50
Medium Rare is right - one of those four scenarios will likely be how it plays out. Given that Ramo has another year on his KHL deal, I can see him playing out the final year in Russia.

I think the only thing to be certain of is that Irving will not be in Abbotsford next year.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
But if we wanted to get a max return for Kipper isn't this going to be the best time? He has 2 years left and the last year sees a huge drop in salary. You also have to assume that Irving wants to go play in Europe.
There was already an article about that possibility, it was posted on CF.com last week.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
There was already an article about that possibility, it was posted on CF.com last week.
what possibility? Irving going to Europe?

Old
05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
what possibility? Irving going to Europe?
Irving going to Europe if he doesn't get a 1way contract.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:40 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Irving going to Europe if he doesn't get a 1way contract.
Well, I guess if Irving doesn't mind going to Europe that would be fine. I just want them to get a maximum return for Kipper, whenever that might be.

EDIT: What I am trying to allude to is that Kipper had a great year. This might be the best time to trade him.

Last edited by The Gnome: 05-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Well, I guess if Irving doesn't mind going to Europe that would be fine. I just want them to get a maximum return for Kipper, whenever that might be.
I have been open to teh idea of trading Kiprusoff for several years now, but I don't think Feaster is. He made it clear that letting Khabibulin walk was his biggest mistake in Tampa and wouldn't make that mistake again because of how important goaltending is.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
MarkGio

My favorite scenario:

Irving and Kipper share starts for the beginning of next season so we know for sure that Irving is ready to take the torch. Then we trade Kipper for a sweet return while Ramo screws over his KHL contract and comes over to help Irving.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
My favorite scenario:

Irving and Kipper share starts for the beginning of next season so we know for sure that Irving is ready to take the torch. Then we trade Kipper for a sweet return while Ramo screws over his KHL contract and comes over to help Irving.
only problem with that scenario is before Ramo could join the Flames he would need to clear waivers, which he likely wouldn't

Old
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
only problem with that scenario is before Ramo could join the Flames he would need to clear waivers, which he likely wouldn't
Why wouldn't he clear? What are the conditions for him clearing waivers? That would be similiar to the Radulov and Nashville situation right?

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Why wouldn't he clear? What are the conditions for him clearing waivers? That would be similiar to the Radulov and Nashville situation right?
no it wouldn't be the same as Radulov and Nashville.

Ramo would be similar to Nabokov from a couple years ago.

The CBA states that any player that plays a professional game in another league (and are not waiver exempt) they must clear waivers before joining an NHL club.

Radulov was an exception to the rule because he in essence defected from the Predators and left without permission. In normal cases it is either a player on loan or a player signing a new contract.

And he wouldn't clear waivers because you can bet a team like Columbus or Edmonton would snatch him off waivers if he were available.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:31 AM
goodsauce

Buyout on Karlsson? I would hate to lose Irving, and With ramo saying, for now, he is going to play in the KHL next season, I think we go with Kipper 60% of the games, and Irving 40% kind of like lu and schnieds in VAN. Then when Ramo comes over in 2 years, do like everyone else is saying and go with a 1a 1b with Ramo and Irving.

On a side note, I think Ramo could become the next Mike Smith, just come out of nowhere and win games for the club.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Buyout on Karlsson? I would hate to lose Irving, and With ramo saying, for now, he is going to play in the KHL next season, I think we go with Kipper 60% of the games, and Irving 40% kind of like lu and schnieds in VAN. Then when Ramo comes over in 2 years, do like everyone else is saying and go with a 1a 1b with Ramo and Irving.

On a side note, I think Ramo could become the next Mike Smith, just come out of nowhere and win games for the club.
why buy out Karlsson? demote him to the AHL, if someone grabs him off waivers good for him, but they probably won't. If he refuses to report to Abbotsford we can void his contract and not have to pay him or haver him count against our contract limit

Old
05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
goodsauce

Quote:
why buy out Karlsson? demote him to the AHL, if someone grabs him off waivers good for him, but they probably won't. If he refuses to report to Abbotsford we can void his contract and not have to pay him or haver him count against our contract limit
Yeah good point, I don't know why I saw a buyout as the option. My bad lol.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Yeah good point, I don't know why I saw a buyout as the option. My bad lol.
It's cool, I considered that option too, but I don't want a buyout counting against the cap for 2 years. I would rather pay him his full salary (the difference is less than 300k) and not worry about the cap hit again. I think a buyout of any player making under a million is pretty pointless