HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brent Sutter done in Calgary

Old
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

vCash: 500
Brent Sutter done in Calgary

Sutter and Flames 'mutually split.' Man I would love for the Isles to bring this guy in.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627592

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

I was expecting changes in Calgary. They're in the tweener stage now, rebuild or go forward? Should be interesting.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

awful coach, do not want

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
awful coach, do not want
awful coach for sure!!! our coach has him beat in every respect.

islandermaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

I'll take Therrien, Maurice, Wilson, Payne, Hartley, or BRENT THOMPSON before Sutter

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:17 PM
JIsles

Therrien, Maurice, Wilson, Payne, Hartley, or BRENT THOMPSON before Sutter! What a joke! I would love to have this guy who has been a winner at every level--including 2 cups as an Isle where he learned to be a winner by the best, and 4 straight WJC (two with JT)--come into our room and bring in some real heart and intensity. Sutter would never be a pawn to Wang and Snow though. I know one guy who would love to have Sutter behind our bench: John Tavares.

JIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIsles View Post
Therrien, Maurice, Wilson, Payne, Hartley, or BRENT THOMPSON before Sutter! What a joke! I would love to have this guy who has been a winner at every level--including 2 cups as an Isle where he learned to be a winner by the best, and 4 straight WJC (two with JT)--come into our room and bring in some real heart and intensity. Sutter would never be a pawn to Wang and Snow though. I know one guy who would love to have Sutter behind our bench: John Tavares.
It's easier to "learn how to be a winner" when you are among many other good players. Can't say the 2012-13 Islanders have many good players at all.

I'd rather have a coach who has had better success at the NHL level than Sutter (as a coach). One who is not wanted because he was a good player/nostalgia.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Darth Bangkok

Besides that, wasn't the whole point of him becoming the Flames coach was that it was close to Red Deer, where he's from? Otherwise he wouldn't be in the NHL (although Edmonton must be an option too).

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
TheBoss22

That's what you get for asking your GM to pick up the tab on Comeau.

I wonder if Robbie Schremp has room on his line for Blakie.

And Sutter would never coach the Isles.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Sutter is a coach who does well with young players. He has the smarts to be in the NHL, but needs to find a way to develop respect from the team. Veterans (at least the Flames vets) haven't given him that respect. The top 6 Flames forwards are a bunch of veterans who drown out their coach when don't like what they hear and did it to Sutter. There is almost a "country club" mentality in the locker room that's persisted for a while...it started to pick up when Mike Keenan decided to take a hands off approach to the team (especially in his second season), and hasn't dissipated since.

About 50 games into the season, the Flames were icing effectively the Abbotsford Heat with about half the top 6 out and 2-3 D injured. During that time, they played some of their best hockey. It was simple, it was competative, and it won quite a few games while Kiprusoff made many, yet low threat, saves. Before and after the injuries, the Flames struggled to really care about playing. It looked like they'd simply go through the motions with no intensity at all (which would be an improvement if Bouwmeester followed suit. No intensity is more intensity than he brings on an average night). Sutter has the ideas and knows how to make a team work...but he's not someone the Flames will listen to.

That being said, I don't think he's a fit for the Islanders. He's very much a Sutter brother. He coaches chip and chase, grind 'em out hockey...hockey committee as it may be. A quick look at the Islanders roster says they're better off with a coach who will focus on skill and agility...someone who can take advantage of Tavares and Streit (assuming he returns to form)...he's not the man for that. A player like Niederreiter or Cizikas would excel under him, but the best players for the Islanders aren't ones who would be able to get full usage under Sutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I was expecting changes in Calgary. They're in the tweener stage now, rebuild or go forward? Should be interesting.
I would like rebuild...but ownership seems to like the "push for the playoffs" solution. Feaster talks candidly and spontaneously of wanting to make major changes yet in the next talk after meeting with ownership he'll have a "dead behind the eyes" look and say that the solutions are in the locker room and the Flames are a piece or two away from winning. There have been rumblings that the owners have been looking for ways in to micromanage a little since Hotchkiss stepped back from his ownership role. I've got nothing to substantiate it with...so don't put much into that.

Last edited by kirant: 04-12-2012 at 09:59 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
VT Isles Fan

The belief is that Sutter wants to stay in Alberta, hence all the rumors about him taking over the Oilers next season.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
leaponover

Brent Sutter has been my favorite Islander from day one, no question about it. Even as my favorite Islander, and 2nd favorite athlete ever, I don't think he would fit as coach for the Isles. He was given a chance after being awesome in minor league hockey and just hasn't gotten the job done on the NHL level. If it had been one season and he was gone i'd say different, but he's not been able to prove himself a quality coach on the NHL level.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:07 AM
RWWallpaper

Well, he can always go back to stand-up comedy...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:15 AM
NYI78

anyone who wants brent sutter has not seen his teams play...they make the devils look like the red army teams

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Bert Marshall days

We've been down this road once before. He'd never come to LI.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Chuckie View Post
I'll take Therrien, Maurice, Wilson, Payne, Hartley, or BRENT THOMPSON before Sutter
this is my feeling.

add MacTavish too the list as well

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:36 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
anyone who wants brent sutter has not seen his teams play...they make the devils look like the red army teams
I don't think he relates well to the players. A lot of talk up here about his poor relationship with the vets on the team and how he's really emotional, but not very communicative.

He's better served by going back to his junior team where he'll have more personal success and probably enjoy it a lot more and can spend more time with his farm.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this is my feeling.

add MacTavish too the list as well
Wow, can't believe I forgot about MacTavish. He's definitely in the top 3 of my coach wish list. Too bad either one of Therrien, Maurice, or MacT is too far-fetched for us.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Isles Fan

The real reason he'd never be considered is that he is Isles alumni. Bossy and Morrow aside, our owner treats alumni like crap, see LaFontaine and Trottier.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
The real reason he'd never be considered is that he is Isles alumni. Bossy and Morrow aside, our owner treats alumni like crap, see LaFontaine and Trottier.
I guess that is why Morrow works as a scout for the isles,Goring does tv work on NYI telecast and Nystrom works/worked for Wang's team?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Pondwaterpierre*

Not a fan because he doesn't seem like a players coach. We need a players coach, someone with good communication skills with young kids. I don't want Sutter.

Pondwaterpierre* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondwaterpierre View Post
Not a fan because he doesn't seem like a players coach. We need a players coach, someone with good communication skills with young kids. I don't want Sutter.
Interesting comment, because some of the comments I've heard on the radio up here is that Sutter was good with the kids there and wanted to rebuild with youth but didn't get along with the veterans who had pretty much tuned him out.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
JIsles

I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I truly believe this team needs some Canadian leadership behind it. We are completely run by Americans: Wang, Snow, Weight, Capuano, the rest of the coaching staff except Chynowth. A guy like Sutter or MacTavish could really help change the culture of the team.

JIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
TexMurphyPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIsles View Post
I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I truly believe this team needs some Canadian leadership behind it. We are completely run by Americans: Wang, Snow, Weight, Capuano, the rest of the coaching staff except Chynowth. A guy like Sutter or MacTavish could really help change the culture of the team.
Brent Thompson, current Sound Tigers coach is from Calgary. He has a chance to replace Capuano or atleast be an assistant to Capuano next season.

TexMurphyPI is offline   Reply With Quote