HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 1 - 4/13/12, 7pm EDT "We're Back, Baby!" - Devils VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That call was WORSE than "horrible", it was an abomination. Not only wasnt it a penalty to begin with, but getting a double AFTER a referee conference was insult to injury, and it cost the Panthers a goal.

But these things have a way of evening out, as an equally horrible call happened when, I think it was Weiss, accidentally got his stick caught between Gionta's legs and tripped him, but both players went down, and unbelievably somehow it was Gionta that got the penalty called on him, which the Cats then scored on.

So basically, each team got completely screwed 1 goal on pathetic powerplay chances that should never have happened.
At least on that play penalties actually happenned. You could have got them both for tripping it was Upshall by the way. That call on Matthias was called roughing by Ref #27 then they had a conference and change it to a high stick. Not sure what game those refs were watching but there was a shoulder a chest and a guy smashing himself with his own stick. Like I said earlier there was another play in the first where a Devils defenseman grabbed Weiss from behind to prevent him from getting to the puck. It was behind the NJ net and the ref just watched it and called nothing. It was a badly called game I just hate games where the refs effect a game like that. I want to watch the Devils Vs the Panthers not the Devils and Panthers Vs the refs.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
If you notice, players intentionally give Kovy space. It's not by accident.

If you step up into him like you're suggesting, he's most likely going to to right around you (or through you), which is why people dont do the above. It's not just that he's one of the better skaters in the NHL, and one of the better stickhandlers, but he's also 6'3" and 235 pounds. If you're that last guy back, you're honestly better off playing off him a bit and taking away his angles and options (which is what most everyone does) rather than trying to be a hero and strip him or crush him.

You don't need to educate us on Kovy. He's a Panther killer and we've seen him way too many tiimes with Atlanta.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:21 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
I want to watch the Devils Vs the Panthers not the Devils and Panthers Vs the refs.
Agree on that. It's one thing if all the playoff games are called the same, but it's annoying when some playoff games so far are no-holds-barred with almost no penalties, and then some games (like tonight) are called like a ticky-tacky regular season game where everything is called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
You don't need to educate us on Kovy. He's a Panther killer and we've seen him way too many tiimes with Atlanta.
Wasnt trying to "educate" anyone, just saying why defensemen dont try to play him tight.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
If you notice, players intentionally give Kovy space. It's not by accident.

If you step up into him like you're suggesting, he's most likely going to to right around you (or through you), which is why people dont do the above. It's not just that he's one of the better skaters in the NHL, and one of the better stickhandlers, but he's also 6'3" and 235 pounds. If you're that last guy back, you're honestly better off playing off him a bit and taking away his angles and options (which is what most everyone does) rather than trying to be a hero and strip him or crush him.
It's the safer option, but the Panthers need to take some chances and play a more physical game than NJ. If they let the Devils skill players roam unchallenged through center ice, it will be a very short series.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:32 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRedSea View Post
No body likes a negative nancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRedSea View Post
Cant win 'em all!
what game were you watching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We really did everything we could to make this as difficult as possible. WAY TOO MANY STUPID PENALTIES.

We have some obvious advantages. We OWN the faceoff circle, I think we have the better goalie, and the Devil's PK isn't going to be scary to play against.

We shot ourselves in the foot, again. The Devils looked amazing the first period, completely beatable in the second and third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
thats the reason. And i have to ask why are there elementary miscues to be had in the first place?

It should not happen. If they dont happen i guarantee we would have won tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
No, they created miscues with excellent pressure, great passing, etc. You're trying to discredit the Devils by saying we were bad and that's why they played well. Give them credit. That first period was complete domination.
devils sat back for the first 5 minutes expecting a surge and got... a trickle. so they said "ok, let's take this" and proceeded to win every battle, every race. i don't think i've seen a more embarrassing display of hockey.

yes, the devils took their foot off the gas and looked beatable in the 2nd and 3rd but we still played crap hockey save for handful of shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Did Weiss play in this game? I thought he was excited about making the playoffs but maybe he just cares about the golf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Weiss doesn't hit because he adheres to the player code: if you don't hit you won't get hit. He's basically Jaybo as a forward.

We need to start hitting their top guys. Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise. It would be a great strategy, because they would retaliate by hitting Weiss. With luck, they might knock him out of the series. We'd be so lucky.

Weiss needs to be traded. Tallon and Dineen know this -- that's why he's not wearing the C. Tonight of all nights showed why Weiss is just a mediocre wuss of a hockey player. He was our worst guy on ice tonight, hands down. Go play in Calgary Steven. I hear they like softies over there.

You could really tell who came to play from our side. Defense (with exception of Campbell and two lapses) was solid. Jovo and Guds played a solid hard game. I was pleasantly surprised at their poise and intensity.

Bergy, Goc, Madden, Upshall and Versteeg were awesome. Sammy, Flash, Matthias, and Kopecky were ok. Weiss sucked.

Everyone is praising Theo but he had a ton of rebounds. Reminded me of Reboundo. And he should have had either goal #2 or #3 to keep us in it. I still think Clemmer would have been the right choice. Maybe Dineen will see the light Sunday.

Maybe there's a silver lining. Maybe they'll see what went wrong. Maybe they'll play Weiss on the checking line to teach him a lesson.
weiss was invisible. this is/was his chance to claim the C, the team and he didn't answer the bell. but theo??? are you kidding? he came to play and was sharp as a tack. that would've been the most embarrassing loss in the history of nhl playoff hockey had he not been.

would love to think this team will see what went wrong but we've been there, done that. doesn't make a difference how beatable NJ - we won't win a game playing that type of hockey. it's the SOS. no structure, no energy, no execution. i really was hoping this team would wake up and be ready for the playoffs but they didn't. the 3rd and 4th lines combined for a handful of decent shifts in the 2nd and 3rd periods, theo played well. guds had a pretty good game for a rookie. other than that, garbage. the sad thing is it's what we've been seeing most of the season, save for that brief honeymoon in october and november when the weiss line was on fire and theo was hot. we were just deluding ourselves. would love to be proven wrong but ... enough is enough already. what we have here is a well-coached average team against a poorly-coached average team. the former will win the majority of the games between the two and that's what happened tonight in a very uninspiring display of playoff hockey.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
JPG

I don't think Weiss needs to be traded. He just needs to not be relied on as a first line player or as captain material. He is a good player to take faceoffs and center a second line and maybe a second power play unit. I think eventually/hopefully, Huberdeau and any of Bjugstad/Howden/other prospect will be our 1/2 centers and Weiss can be #3 as his career winds down. I do not think this will be next season because young players not only need to grow physically but they need to learn the game at the pro level. I do think we will be taking a step backwards if we create another hole by getting rid of Weiss. A team is not made up solely of a first line, and in my opinion Weiss does have a spot on the team - just not on the first line.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Just got home from the game. I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet. Couple of quick comments, then I'll go back and read:

1. The penalty on Matty was him retaliating because he got an elbow to the face that wasn't called. Granted, he was facing the crowd when the elbow was thrown (it's possible the ref didn't see it), but he was nailed with a cheap shot.

2. Brodeur didn't look that great. Certainly not as good as the score would indicate. He also had this strange ritual - he'd take a break and skate over to the bench to grab his water bottle. As he drank it, he would scan ONE section of the crowd. I actually made (evil) eye contact with him several times. Then he would skate in an oval and spit three times in the center of the oval. He did not deviate from that routine one time.

3. I thought the crowd was a bit subdued. It was loud, but it wasn't like it was in 2000.

4. John Madden, who doesn't get a lot of press on these boards, was very, very good tonight.

5. I have a great shot of Guds jawing with Clarkson prior to a face off. Our little section was sure he was going to throw the gloves. He didn't.

6. The refs were terrible tonight. I saw slashing, elbowing, holding, and interference that didn't get called on the Devs. This game was so lop-sided it's not even funny. And I don't generally blame the refs for our losses. It just seems like every time we started to pick things up, the refs took out their whistles.

All in all, I think we can win this series. The Devils just didn't look like anything special tonight. First game nerves are out of the way, Brodeur isn't the goaltender he was in 2000. If the refs give our series the same latitude that other teams have had, we really do have a shot at this.

Pics will be up soon.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:45 AM
JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
2. Brodeur didn't look that great. Certainly not as good as the score would indicate. He also had this strange ritual - he'd take a break and skate over to the bench to grab his water bottle. As he drank it, he would scan ONE section of the crowd. I actually made (evil) eye contact with him several times. Then he would skate in an oval and spit three times in the center of the oval. He did not deviate from that routine one time.
Oh if we could throw a rat into the center of that oval what it would do to his psyche...

Old
04-14-2012, 12:51 AM
zeroG

Quote:
These guys are carrying a big burden. This team hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years and that was the biggest "home" crowd I've seen since I've been going to Panthers games. I'm sure they wanted to come out and play well for the fans, the crowd, Tallon etc their first two shifts were fine then the wheels came off a 4 min phantom penalty didn't help. That whole 1st period snowballed on them and NJ is pretty good as well so I can understand a bad 1st but we better see a complete game Sunday or this could be a real short series.
i don't buy that at all. most of these guys know nothing of the drought and moreover, many of them have played through long playoff runs in front of packed, charged houses.

and they haven't played a complete game against a team really battling them since i can't remember when.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:53 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't buy that at all. most of these guys know nothing of the drought and moreover, many of them have played through long playoff runs in front of packed, charged houses.

and they haven't played a complete game against a team really battling them since i can't remember when.
I think the first period on Sunday will be very telling.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Weiss isn't going to be traded. First of all, wed need to replace him with a better center. And dineen just said a couple weeks ago that he's been a large part of the face of the team this season and he relies on him in all situations. He'll be signing an extension, not getting traded.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

This was Guds - when we thought he was going to drop the gloves:

Old
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
5. I have a great shot of Guds jawing with Clarkson prior to a face off. Our little section was sure he was going to throw the gloves. He didn't.

Samuelsson wacked him on the ass with his stick and I assume told him to calm down. He was getting ready to drop them it was funny my wife was like did Sammy just go papa bear on him.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think the first period on Sunday will be very telling.
i thought the first period tonight would be very telling.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:07 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i thought the first period tonight would be very telling.
It was they sucked if it happens again Sunday we are in deep ****.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Samuelsson wacked him on the ass with his stick and I assume told him to calm down. He was getting ready to drop them it was funny my wife was like did Sammy just go papa bear on him.
That would explain it then.

ETA: I'm going to crop that picture so you can really see the look on Guds' face. Too tired now, and my boys have practice in the morning, so maybe tomorrow.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:35 AM
DrMom9900

that game was a complete buzzkill from 12 yrs of no playoffs.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Just got home from the game. I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet. Couple of quick comments, then I'll go back and read:

1. The penalty on Matty was him retaliating because he got an elbow to the face that wasn't called. Granted, he was facing the crowd when the elbow was thrown (it's possible the ref didn't see it), but he was nailed with a cheap shot.

3. I thought the crowd was a bit subdued. It was loud, but it wasn't like it was in 2000.

4. John Madden, who doesn't get a lot of press on these boards, was very, very good tonight.

6. The refs were terrible tonight. I saw slashing, elbowing, holding, and interference that didn't get called on the Devs. This game was so lop-sided it's not even funny. And I don't generally blame the refs for our losses. It just seems like every time we started to pick things up, the refs took out their whistles.

All in all, I think we can win this series. The Devils just didn't look like anything special tonight. First game nerves are out of the way, Brodeur isn't the goaltender he was in 2000. If the refs give our series the same latitude that other teams have had, we really do have a shot at this.

Pics will be up soon.
Do you remember what period/time that happened? I missed it. I thought for surely Guds was going to confront Clarkson when he was jawing with Jovo.

-ghoste

Old
04-14-2012, 02:51 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I haven't read through any comments yet, because I am so tired. But that game was amazing for me. When we scored that goal I went bananas. Best game I have ever went to, it was an amazing experience and just one goal would have been enough for me to be honest with you. I think the loss will sink in once I wake up, but I had a great time.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:39 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Weiss isn't going to be traded. First of all, wed need to replace him with a better center. And dineen just said a couple weeks ago that he's been a large part of the face of the team this season and he relies on him in all situations. He'll be signing an extension, not getting traded.
That's too bad.

Weiss is good for exhibition hockey, not playoffs.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
I disagree on theodore. He was just hung out to dry. If there is a player close to our net, I expect him to pay a price if he wants to get a shot off. Elias could have set up a lawn chair and taken a nap at that spot and nobody would have bothered him. We need to be more physical. I said before, the way Boston plays Ovechkin is what the way we need to be playing the NJ skilled forwards. He gets hit every single time he is on the ice. We are not doing a good job in this.
23/26 = 0.886.

I know he was left to dry, but goals #2 and #3 he didn't play well. He had time to challenge the shooter more aggressively, pass was covered.

In order for me to praise him, he should have saved at least one of the last two. So okay, he was adequate. I didn't say he was as bad as our worst player Weiss last night (no one was anywhere near as bad as Weiss on either team), but he wasn't the star either.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Do you remember what period/time that happened? I missed it. I thought for surely Guds was going to confront Clarkson when he was jawing with Jovo.

-ghoste
It was the faceoff right before Clarkson and Jovo were exchanging words.

And my throat is raw this morning. Drinking lots of hot tea this morning.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

Was there a time where everyone stood up waiving their towel like a true playoff game? From the highlights, crowd looked pretty quiet.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Was there a time where everyone stood up waiving their towel like a true playoff game? From the highlights, crowd looked pretty quiet.
No, people were waving towels and yelling louder than I ever recall. "Ref u suck" was one of the loudest. I think this arena (ceiling) is acoustically planned more for concerts than sports (no loud echo).

Old
04-14-2012, 09:58 AM
ursavolta

I was up in the 400's and I realized it was a bit quiet, but honestly it was because everyone was concentrating on the game. It was a bit crazy.. people all around me where clenching their hands mumbling under their breath "shoot the puck.." or "you gotta be kidding me". When the refs made a dumb call (too many btw) or if there was a big hit there was noise from the crowd.. but otherwise they were in silent concentration mode..not the best crowd to play in but alot of love..

I couldn't scream because i was sick but I honestly think that everyone is too invested into the game to even shout anything. I realized it because i was soo into the game.

I honestly think the cats need to stop being fancy and start shooting the puck more. Match the intensity of the devils and play hard nose hockey. We could surprise some folk.

btw i honestly think that the lowerbowl tickets should be cheaper because the lower bowl seats were nowhere near as filled up compared to the 300's and the 400's.

Closed Thread