HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 1 - 4/13/12, 7pm EDT "We're Back, Baby!" - Devils VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 07:18 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I was expecting the rats to fly after the first goal, but not the second. I don't think the refs are going to put up with it much longer if people continue to throw rats after every goal.
I didnt even know rats were thrown, as they didnt show it on TV. I wonder if the TV just missed it, or if they intentionally didnt show it since it's considered bad behaviour? (like how they wont show people who run on the field at a baseball game)

Old
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

There was a family in front of us whose first hockey game ever was at the BAC last night. They were a little confused as to why the rats were present, and when to throw them. Would be nice if the arena handed out 'general info' cards with the rats...or had a LOT of instruction throughout the game. Flashing a "throw your rat after the game" sign as the rats are raining down is kind of pointless.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:55 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Y'all don't have to agree with me, and obviously you don't. But please stop with your "you gotta stop being mean to Stevie" crap. You have your opinion and I have mine. Big deal. I happen to think Weiss is always soft, evidenced by his never hitting a warm body, and it is being accentuated in the playoffs. I'm rushing to judgment based on just one game? He's like that in the regular season, it just shows less because players aren't as intense then. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong but you gotta accomplish that with data and not whining.

And on Theo, we're at odds there too. Again, no one has convinced me that 1) letting in 3 goals out of 6-7 good scoring chances is great, and 2) that his rebound control was good. Could it have been 7-2? Yeah, if Theo had really sucked. He didn't suck like Weiss did, he was just average Theo. Would Clemmer have done better? Probably not in those situations, but the team probably would have. Those situations might never have happened with Clemmer in the net.
You talk about Clemm like he's Cory Schneider or something. And your picking apart Weiss, who was one of the only guys who was producing in the final weeks of the season.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:23 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The bashing of Weiss in this thread is ridiculous.

Saying Clemmer should get game 2 based on last night's game is also ridiculous. Theodore was fantastic last night. Better than Brodeur. It's not Theodore's fault that the Panthers came out in the 1st looking like they were playing a video game that they did not how to play. The Devils could've easily scored 7 or 8 goals in the 1st period, honestly. And then he also stopped Kovalchuk/Parise on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush in the 3rd period to keep the game at 3-2. Had the Panthers scored the 3rd goal, we would've been looking back at all those amazing saves and calling them "clutch, timely saves."

As for Weiss, he's a second line center. He's solid in all areas of the game except hitting because he's not big enough to be a physical beast. Get over it, and be thankful that a player of his caliber has been as loyal to this organization as he's been. Everyone else would've wanted to leave a long time ago; as a matter of fact, everyone else did leave a long time ago.

The guy has endured a ton and he deserves to finally be here and play in a playoff game. If you don't believe his supporters on this board, why don't you go read the comments from every single coach he's played for in this league? The guy is a solid player who plays through injury at times.

A 50-60 point center is not a 3rd line center unless if you've just built the best team of all-time or something. Give it a rest.
I will never and have never told you to "give it a rest" when voicing your opinion on something. I have the same rights here as you and I respect your opinion even though I disagree with you.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:29 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
I also forgot to tell y'all I saw Allison troll before the game started out on the smokers balcony outside 427ish concession area.

I took a pic with him and we chatted about the team and stuff. He said he got upper bowl tix for the playoffs and mentioned he's worried about Brodeur getting hot.

So yeah. Troll guy is a cool dude. I always talk to him when we go get on tv.

He's still resistant about joining the boards and insists I follow him on Twitter (which I won't do).

Old
04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

I don't understand why people get upset with Weiss for not being a dynamic scoring 1st line center. HE'S NOT A FIRST LINE CENTER. That's not his fault he didn't pick Horton over Stall management did. It would be like being mad at Weaver if they had him as a 1st pairing defenseman. Could you imagine how good this team would be with Stall as a number one and Weiss number 2? He's a good 2 way 2nd line center for god's sake he even said in an interview he isn't a first line guy. He gets stuck playing against the other teams best players and consistantly puts up @ 60 pts plays hurt and is loyal when so many guys have bailed on us. I just don't get the hate.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
You talk about Clemm like he's Cory Schneider or something. And your picking apart Weiss, who was one of the only guys who was producing in the final weeks of the season.
He's not saying Clemmensen would have played better. He's saying that team would have played better with the backup.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
He's not saying Clemmensen would have played better. He's saying that team would have played better with the backup.
i think that's a bunch of nonsense and if its really true then it's more of a coaching problem than a goaltending problem

Last edited by pantherbot: 04-15-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old
04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
I will never and have never told you to "give it a rest" when voicing your opinion on something. I have the same rights here as you and I respect your opinion even though I disagree with you.
You're entitled to your own opinion of not liking him.

When you extend that opinion to say: "he's a third liner, tops!" your opinion becomes wrong. I can use statistics to make that wrong. Normally, 50-60 point players are not 3rd liners. They are better than 3rd liners.

He's also great in the faceoff circle and responsible defensively to go along with his points.

He is not a "third liner, tops." Sorry.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Erick

Quote:
And there's no way to prove what he's saying. They might have; they might have not.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:51 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
There is something to be said for teams playing better in front of backups. Now that being said, I certainly wouldn't try to use it as a strategy in a playoff series, or really any time.

Old
04-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Erick

Quote:
There is something to be said for teams playing better in front of backups. Now that being said, I certainly wouldn't try to use it as a strategy in a playoff series, or really any time.
When people say that, it's usually just an opinion.

The team didn't really play that much better in front of Clemmensen this year, honestly.
#'s didn't really support the team playing better in front of Anderson than Vokoun back in the day either.

It's a subjective statement.

I could easily look back at Clemmensen's starts this year and point to plenty of games when the team was mediocre.

Clemmensen just so happened to steal some points that he doesn't really get much credit for.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
When people say that, it's usually just an opinion.

The team didn't really play that much better in front of Clemmensen this year, honestly.
#'s didn't really support the team playing better in front of Anderson than Vokoun back in the day either.

It's a subjective statement.

I could easily look back at Clemmensen's starts this year and point to plenty of games when the team was mediocre.

Clemmensen just so happened to steal some points that he doesn't really get much credit for.
A team playing better in front of a backup CAN be proven, actually. But numbers may not support it. Shot totals may be similar, but what numbers don't show is where shots are taken from, and quality of chances. You'd have to prove it with consistent video evidence, which is unrealistic, to say the least.

That being said, i don't feel confident enough in support or denial of the argument to really weigh in personally. Though i'd say i lean toward the idea that the team has played well in front of Clemmensen. Whether or not that is a conscious thing is a whole other story, though.

I also agree with SV that it's not a strategy to use at all. If you're placing your hopes on a freak thing like that, you've got bigger problems than goaltending.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Minimalist*

Hello Panthers faithful. I have a couple questions about Gudbranson, but didn't want to start a thread about it. So I'll ask here.

How has he been? I was REALLY high on this kid prior to the draft. I loved his all around game, and I really loved that mean streak he had. How would you guys evaluate his game so far? Both offensively and defensively?

Is he still looking to lay guys out with massive open ice hits like in junior? Has that mean streak carried over to the NHL level? I know he has a cannon of a slapper, does he get PP time?

Thanks for any reply.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Hello Panthers faithful. I have a couple questions about Gudbranson, but didn't want to start a thread about it. So I'll ask here.

How has he been? I was REALLY high on this kid prior to the draft. I loved his all around game, and I really loved that mean streak he had. How would you guys evaluate his game so far? Both offensively and defensively?

Is he still looking to lay guys out with massive open ice hits like in junior? Has that mean streak carried over to the NHL level? I know he has a cannon of a slapper, does he get PP time?

Thanks for any reply.
Evaluation of his game - Pretty bad earlier in the season; he's gotten better as the season has progressed. He looks like he belongs now.

Offensively - Still raw

Defensively - Improving. He was solid in game 1.

Open ice hits - Sometimes. He's physical.

Mean streak - Yes.

PP time - No. He's still too raw offensively. He doesn't pass the puck very well. He does have a cannon, but he's not all that accurate with it yet.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:48 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
When this guy comes out and says "Time to go to Clemmenson in game 2, things with Theodore didn't work out." I become puzzled. Why would we switch goalies. Theodore was nuts in the first. And incredibly solid in period 2 and 3. Don't get me wrong tho, I have zero hate for Clemm. I just think he should only be used in a worst case scenario. If he wasn't hot down the stretch, I would say avoid using him all together.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Evaluation of his game - Pretty bad earlier in the season; he's gotten better as the season has progressed. He looks like he belongs now.

Offensively - Still raw

Defensively - Improving. He was solid in game 1.

Open ice hits - Sometimes. He's physical.

Mean streak - Yes.

PP time - No. He's still too raw offensively. He doesn't pass the puck very well. He does have a cannon, but he's not all that accurate with it yet.
Your evaluation on Guds is very accurate. Lots of people forget how young he is. He's developing above schedule IMO.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813

Old
04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Did you spill something on your new jersey?

Closed Thread