HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks @ Coyotes Game 1

Old
04-13-2012, 02:31 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Blackhawks @ Coyotes Game 1

Continue here if you're sane.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:33 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33
last 3 games of regular season:
Kane: 22-19
Kruger:19-21

last 5 games:
Kane:28-33
Kruger:25-34

Anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74
Dude, why bother being rational?
because I'm drunk

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:35 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
because I'm drunk
That makes the most sense so far.

Anyone want to talk about what the hell Oduya was doing tonight. How many turnovers in the D zone?

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 02:38 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
That makes the most sense so far.

Anyone want to talk about what the hell Oduya was doing tonight. How many turnovers in the D zone?
1000000. He's looked like the Oduya skeptics said he would the past like 10 games.

Not sure why Hjalmarsson got ****ed over with OD. Shoulda had leddy/oduya with him so he wouldn't be responsible for moving the puck.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:02 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I went to bed sadly sober...and got woken up (once again) by the fire alarm..although thankfully we weren't all forced to evacuate this time.

I don't even know what to say about this game except for the fact that if my laughing about the Pens and Nuckleheads biting it during their first games generated bad karma i'm really sorry about that, guys!

On a completely superficial note, I see our GDT went to no fewer than 1,123 messages. Very impressive, kiddos!

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:04 AM
madgoat33

I'll take credit for roughly 2% of that.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:27 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Now i'm conflicted. Us losing tonight was an unfortunate turn of events but one we can easily rebound from and go on to take the series.

But, the fact that the Pens and the Nuckleheads lost the first game of their respective series is an obvious sign they're both destined to lose in four games.

Go figure.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:03 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
I'm not 100% resigned to defeat but games like that show that the team has never developed like we hoped they would. They come together in flashes, in streaks, but then find ways to lose games via their own sloppy play.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Games like this are why when I hear that this team won't change over the offseason piss me off. This team have clear holes, no 3 or 4 D man, top 2 then 4 5th or 6th D men. No 2nd line center, whether its Kane, or the 2nd coming I don't care but Stalberg and Sharp can't do anything with a C who can't create any offense. Size up front, watching that winning goal scored because a big forward muscled his way into the space and tipped it, the Hawks don't have that and it's one of the biggest reasons the PP is failing, shots from the point with no one in front don't go in.

Plus it's tough when only 3 Dmen dress for the game. SOD, Hammer and Oduya was totally absent in todays game, with the exception of Hammer and his three TO in one shift.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 05:50 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
1000000. He's looked like the Oduya skeptics said he would the past like 10 games.

Not sure why Hjalmarsson got ****ed over with OD. Shoulda had leddy/oduya with him so he wouldn't be responsible for moving the puck.
Probablky because Hjalmarsson pulls the puck from his own goalies glove to surrender the first goal, and screens him as he whiffs blocking the shot on the second goal. Hjalmarsson was every bit as big a goat in this one as Oduya...not to mention Sharp's NUMEROUS turn overs in his own end, coupled with his endless slappers directly in to the shin pads of yote D men.

Please, many goats to go around in this one!

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH

Yandle barely played all night, Vrbata was absent the entire game. What do you have to say for yourself?

Honestly, I look at this team and I am mortified at the embarrassing product they continue to put on the ice. But I watch it anyway because hockey's fun. No, it's because I believe this team can do great things with the roster they have, with some minor improvements.

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg : Kruger does nothing for this line and Toews can't be centering the second unit.

Shaw - Kane - Hossa : It may break people's hearts to see Shaw depart from the third line, but with this potential he should be in the top 6.

Bickell - Bolland - Kruger : Bolland was developing some good checking the past few games, and Kruger needs to be the bottom 6 winger, period.

Bollig - Mayers - Hayes : Two words: Gr-it.

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg
Shaw - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Kruger
Bollig - Mayers - Hayes

Flame away.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
Probablky because Hjalmarsson pulls the puck from his own goalies glove to surrender the first goal, and screens him as he whiffs blocking the shot on the second goal. Hjalmarsson was every bit as big a goat in this one as Oduya...not to mention Sharp's NUMEROUS turn overs in his own end, coupled with his endless slappers directly in to the shin pads of yote D men.

Please, many goats to go around in this one!
This. Not too many guys on the team showed up last night. The entire team looked dreadful with the exception of Toews, Kane, Shaw, Seabrook, Keith, and Crawford.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Im not worried... Just need to win one in their barn

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Marotte Marauder

What has plagued this team all season? In no particular order: faceoffs, lack of physical play, poor powerplay, Hammer's puckhandling/passing, generally not a very smart team that relies on talent WAY TOO MUCH.

Last night was just more of the same.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
Im not worried... Just need to win one in their barn
/thread

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

what I have to say about this game...

it was just 1 away game.
Phoenix can't play their style all the time in this short time frame. We won't make those stupid mistakes every game and Goaltending is even. We will beat Smith soon enough with 70+ shots we take. 40 saves and 30 blocks. This will result in goals soon enough.

I'm pissed about those ****ing mistakes and turnovers. Having Krüger on the 2nd line is good and fine in the RS to let him learn and get better. As said all season long... in the POs, he shouldn't be in this spot.

What I want?

Stalberg - Toews - Sharp
Brunette - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Bollig - Krüger - Mayers

Bruno back in the -top6 because we paid him his money for this time of the year. Let's see what he can do when he only needs to be there to deflect shots.

PP
Sharp - Toews - Kane
Keith - Seabrook

unit 2
Shaw - Bolland - Hossa
Oduya - Leddy

keep it simple and play your best players on the PP

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugasandBHawks View Post

Yandle barely played all night, Vrbata was absent the entire game. What do you have to say for yourself?

Honestly, I look at this team and I am mortified at the embarrassing product they continue to put on the ice. But I watch it anyway because hockey's fun. No, it's because I believe this team can do great things with the roster they have, with some minor improvements.

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg : Kruger does nothing for this line and Toews can't be centering the second unit.

Shaw - Kane - Hossa : It may break people's hearts to see Shaw depart from the third line, but with this potential he should be in the top 6.

Bickell - Bolland - Kruger : Bolland was developing some good checking the past few games, and Kruger needs to be the bottom 6 winger, period.

Bollig - Mayers - Hayes : Two words: Gr-it.

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg
Shaw - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Kruger
Bollig - Mayers - Hayes

Flame away.
No flaming from me...I suggested those exact lines earlier this week.

CPHawksFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Paul Allen

Pretty much what bubba said.

If Q is insistent on having Kruger at 2c, give him hossa/sharp and have Kane and Toews play with Stalberg.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
BronYrAur

I understand the overreactions, but it's one game. And it wasn't "embarrassing," just mediocre. Yeah they made some serious mistakes in the d-zone and neutral zone that they must cut down on. Need to produce on the PP but that part of the game wasn't as much of an abortion as it has been.

I mean, you have two good hockey teams and the Hawks were simply not the best team last night. You have to credit the Coyotes for doing what they have all season to take the Hawks out of their game plan.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Chelios

My 2 cents:

Some good and some bad coming out of game 1:

The good:

- Toews looks like he hasn't missed a beat. Had an excellent game and did not play tentative at all
- Crawford was the best goalie on the ice. Played an excellent game and made several very difficult saves look easy
- Seabrook and Keith were both solid, with Seabs especially looking really good at both ends of the ice
- I thought Leddy had a really strong game, seemed very calm, had a couple nice rushes and played well positionally
- 3rd line looked really good

The bad:

- 2nd line was atrocious. I am a believer that Kruger should be playing, but not on the 2nd line.
- Hjammer/Oduya/Odonnell were all absolutely terrible. From blatant give aways, to not clearing the puck out (without icing), they all had horrible games. I am willing to give Hjammer and Oduya the benefit of the doubt, but O'Donnell should absolutely not be dressed next game
- Giveaways in general were awful last night, and it seems that the only chances Phoenix generated were off gifts from the Hawks.

What I would like to see next game:

- Bollig Scratched. I like him in the regular season, but there is simply no need of him in the playoffs.
- Kane moved back to C
- Hayes in on a line with Hossa and Kane, must balance the offence more, this should do it
- Olsen in for O'Donnell
- Hjammer and Oduya remove their heads from their arses

Following lines:

Sharp - Toews - Stalberg
Hayes - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Brunette - Kruger - Mayers

Keith - Seabrook
Leddy - Oduya
Olsen - Hjammer

These changes would do a few things: moving Kane back to C would give us a more balanced attack. Basically last night the only time I felt good was when either the Toews or Bolland lines were out there. Bringing Hayes in over Bollig gives us some flexibility. It gives us a big physical winger with hands to put with Kane and Hossa. It also gives some flexibility in that you can always switch up him and Brunette if you want to send out the 4th line (haha I guess just Jayes and Mayers) to throw their weight around and spark the team. Bringing in Olsen over O'Donnell after that showing is a no brainer. Honestly even Lepisto would be a significant upgrade on OD at this point.

Last edited by Chelios: 04-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I'd generally say too much panic for game one but everything seems accurate

- the top six forwards did nothing outside of the last minute of the game
- the fourth line spent the whole game in their own end
- the bottom four d-men were all sorts of useless
- the power play is just embarrassing
- the Hawks inability to adapt to the fact that Mike Smith plays the puck is a bit worrying

That being said, these things aren't exceptionally difficult to remedy. The above lines with Stalberg/Toews/Kane will hopefully come to fruition, and with Q's constant line changing it'll happen if needed. Sit O'Donnell and Brunette and bring in Lepisto and Hayes. Put Keith and Seabrook on the point with Sharp/Toews/Kane to at least give the second PP unit a chance with Shaw-Bolland-Hossa or something like that. And flip the damn puck high into the corners or carry it in.

The goaltending was fine, which was the biggest worry. Split in Phoenix and take care of business at home.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:06 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
I'd generally say too much panic for game one but everything seems accurate

- the top six forwards did nothing outside of the last minute of the game
- the fourth line spent the whole game in their own end
- the bottom four d-men were all sorts of useless
- the power play is just embarrassing
- the Hawks inability to adapt to the fact that Mike Smith plays the puck is a bit worrying

That being said, these things aren't exceptionally difficult to remedy. The above lines with Stalberg/Toews/Kane will hopefully come to fruition, and with Q's constant line changing it'll happen if needed. Sit O'Donnell and Brunette and bring in Lepisto and Hayes. Put Keith and Seabrook on the point with Sharp/Toews/Kane to at least give the second PP unit a chance with Shaw-Bolland-Hossa or something like that. And flip the damn puck high into the corners or carry it in.

The goaltending was fine, which was the biggest worry. Split in Phoenix and take care of business at home.
To me, this is the biggest problem with our roster. We don't have a 4th line that can grind opposing teams down. Definitely a far cry from Eager/Fraser/Burish.

If only Carcillo wasn't injured. Carcillo - Mayers - Bollig would be able to do some damage.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Sarava

Phoneix are as good on the road as they are at home. As I said in the series thread, Phoenix worries me a lot. They are not going away and the Hawks are going to have to scrape and claw to win this series.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Phoneix are as good on the road as they are at home. As I said in the series thread, Phoenix worries me a lot. They are not going away and the Hawks are going to have to scrape and claw to win this series.
no they don't, they need to just play smarter. stop trying to carry the puck into the zone every time, stop making risky passes, and fix the ****** lines.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
what I have to say about this game...

it was just 1 away game.
Phoenix can't play their style all the time in this short time frame. We won't make those stupid mistakes every game and Goaltending is even. We will beat Smith soon enough with 70+ shots we take. 40 saves and 30 blocks. This will result in goals soon enough.

I'm pissed about those ****ing mistakes and turnovers. Having Krüger on the 2nd line is good and fine in the RS to let him learn and get better. As said all season long... in the POs, he shouldn't be in this spot.

What I want?

Stalberg - Toews - Sharp
Brunette - Kane - Hossa
Bickell - Bolland - Shaw
Bollig - Krüger - Mayers

Bruno back in the -top6 because we paid him his money for this time of the year. Let's see what he can do when he only needs to be there to deflect shots.

PP
Sharp - Toews - Kane
Keith - Seabrook

unit 2
Shaw - Bolland - Hossa
Oduya - Leddy

keep it simple and play your best players on the PP
God no, he shouldn't be on the ice let alone in the top 6. If you need someone to deflect shots use Hayes, he is bigger, stronger, and unlike Bruno can actually skate. Watching Bruno drift around the neutral zone for 40 sec or so then return to the bench is killing me.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote