HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seeing a lot of bandwagonner fans come out of the woodwork recently?

Old
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
See, that I did not even hear last night, and I was relieved, cause I have a problem with that so early in the playoffs. I feel that should be save for the actual Finals or at least the Conference Finals. One thing that did annoy me last night was all the USA chants cause we're playing a Canadian team. Um..we have Canadians on our team people..including 2 of our biggest stars!
Yeah, I hate that too. This is not USAvCanada in the World Cup/Olympics. It happened during a Rangers-Leafs game recently (in the past few years) and I remember thinking, "These people are idiots. Almost everyone in Canada who is not a Leafs fan absolutley despises the Leafs and wants the Rangers to win this game."

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
lol you see MSG cut to a shot of the bandwaggoners during the first goal celebration?

No Ranger jerseys on any of these guys... 2 dudes on the left are already dressed up for the bars/clubs and got the hair gel in, and the 2 guys on the right, suits and foam fingers? Really? The one guy is even wearing a plastic bag on one hand for some unknown reason.... Definitely never been to a HOCKEY game before...
I saw that too. Must've gotten the tickets from their job or something

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
patnyrnyg

the bandwagoners don't bother me as I just ignore them. Like the people at work who all of a sudden get into it. The people I get annoyed with are a few of my friends from HS. I dont speak with them much anymore, but they were huge fans when we were in jr high and hs, I graduated in 94. Then college less so, then after college when I had an extra ticket they had more excuses than a virgin on prom night. Now, a few will email me asking if I have extra tickets. I simply say no, when I would like to say, "Where the hell were you 10 years ago? Maybe if you actually showed interest back then, I'd offer you some tickets when the schedule comes out."

Old
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
BlessThisMess11

If you haven't been through all the bad times and rough patches than you will never really appreciate the good times, people are just trying to re-create an emotion that they will never truly know.

BlessThisMess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess11 View Post
If you haven't been through all the bad times and rough patches than you will never really appreciate the good times, people are just trying to re-create an emotion that they will never truly know.
It's just another night out for them. Not something will truly affects them daily.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Like you wouldnt believe. Usually I dont see a lot of Rangers gear on the UWS where I live, but I'm seeing it everywhere now. The shiny newness of the jerseys and crisp brims of the hats are the giveaways
No fair, I rotate my hats to minimize wear and tear.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM
BlessThisMess11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
It's just another night out for them. Not something will truly affects them daily.
Thats the difficult part, knowing how much you personally have invested in something.

BlessThisMess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Knoxville555

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Happens in every sport, for every team when the playoffs roll around.
agreed. This is the time to sell any jerseys you dont wear anymore on ebay.

Knoxville555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Knoxville555

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Happens in every sport, for every team when the playoffs roll around.
agreed. This is the time to sell any jerseys you dont wear anymore on ebay.

Knoxville555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Teddie1056

Makes me glad I became a fan 2 years ago. My friend told me the rules and all of a sudden the game was not the confusing mess I thought it was. I really got into it after the Olympics. I didn't realize how exciting of a game hockey is.

Only problem now is I watch too much sports: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAAF, NCAAB, hell, even NCAAWB (I go to UConn).

Teddie1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Colt Seavers

Out of the blue I got an email from one of my oldest friends (known him since about age 11) the other day. At this point we probably only talk a couple of times a year. Anyways, he's a life long Habs fan but he's been living in NYC for a few years & he wrote to tell me he was hopping on the bandwagon for this playoff run. I commended him.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Yep, everyone's suddenly making Rangers facebook posts. People that I know never watch hockey texting me about the Rangers. People at work talking about the Rangers. So funny.
Same here. More than usual at playoff time. People who don't even like hockey are talking to me about the Rangers. I'm helping them out because maybe they will become actual fans lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
See, I know a lot of Devils fans, being married to CJ and all, and a lot of them are really nice people, but I can't help but agree with you on that a little. For example, last night they're bashing the Rangers cause we released streamer confetti after the win..saying that it was obnoxious and that you should only do that after you win a cup. A.) you do fireworks when you win a cup. B.) It's the playoffs, so as far as I'm concerned if you wanna jazz it up a little, I don't have an issue with it..and C.) Shut the frig up. Worry about your own friggin' team and stop obsessing over what we do and always trying to pick us apart. Their inferiority complex over a team that has 2 cups in 72 years as compared to their "3 Cups in 8" is mind boggling.
I got into an argument with Isles & Devs fans about that inferiority complex. And tested them on it. They proved my point. Try it yourself: As the opposing fan what they would rather more: Beat the Rangers in the first round of the playoffs, then lose in the 2nd round... or not play the Rangers but make it to the Cup Finals and lose.

Every time, they said they'd rather beat the Rangers, than make it to the SCF. And when I try to argue the logic (or lack thereof), they're answer is that "Well we're not winning the cup anyway in that case, so why not?" Gee, I don't know... because you would have made it to the SCF? Sure it's only a what-if situation... but every time I test an Isles or Devs fan on that, they say the same thing.

Small team syndrome.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Fair enough, but we have a very large and very loyal core fanbase. So to sit there and make it out like all our fanbase is are a bunch of bandwagoners is complete and utter bullsh**. A lot of that obnoxiousness you talk about comes from fans at Ranger-Devil and Ranger-Islander games. And not for nothing, you get it on both sides, that's number 1. So for all of you who think it's just the Rangers fan that's being obnoxious, wake up, cause the opposing fan has just as many obnoxious d**ks. Number 2, as someone who has been to tons of games at the Garden, and tons of games at the Prudential Center, the one thing I have witnessed more than anything is that Rangers fans that go to games at the Rock are NOT of the same ilke that go to games at the Garden. Most of them are young, d**che bag idiots that are there to get drunk and start fights. They get to 1 or 2 games a year, can't afford to go to the Garden, consider this their Rangers game, and feel its cool to be a d*ckbag in the Devils arena. Trust me, I've seen it. And I hate these little ******** cause it makes MY fan base as a whole look bad. And I have a vested interest in that cause I am married to a Devils fan, and I have to constantly defend my fanbase to her and her friends, most of whom are very cool people.
I've fraternized with a few ranger fans at MSG and they're cordial and knowledgeable. The other locations seem to bring out the real scum. I had a Islander fan friend leaving NUMC after a NYR-NYI game with his girlfriend and he got jumped by a gang of 4 young ranger fans. They broke his nose for no other reason, than he was wearing Islander colors. That stuff tends to happen outside of MSG.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
I got into an argument with Isles & Devs fans about that inferiority complex. And tested them on it. They proved my point. Try it yourself: As the opposing fan what they would rather more: Beat the Rangers in the first round of the playoffs, then lose in the 2nd round... or not play the Rangers but make it to the Cup Finals and lose.

Every time, they said they'd rather beat the Rangers, than make it to the SCF. And when I try to argue the logic (or lack thereof), they're answer is that "Well we're not winning the cup anyway in that case, so why not?" Gee, I don't know... because you would have made it to the SCF? Sure it's only a what-if situation... but every time I test an Isles or Devs fan on that, they say the same thing.

Small team syndrome.
It's not even small team syndrome. Devils have one of the most exciting players in the league and we haven't even sniffed an NBC game of the week. It's utter nonsense. Devils have alot of starpower -- Fatty Brodeur, Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias -- but we're continually blacklisted by the MSM and hockey powers at be. We could theoretically clone Wayne and Mario in a lab and age them to their prime, and we still wouldn't get the necessary coverage.

Last edited by Tundra: 04-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Like you wouldnt believe. Usually I dont see a lot of Rangers gear on the UWS where I live, but I'm seeing it everywhere now. The shiny newness of the jerseys and crisp brims of the hats are the giveaways
I bought a new jersey the beginning of this season, also bought a new hat. I only wear the jerseys when I go to a game I rotate the new jersey in with the my current crop, and dont even wear a jersey to every game I attend. I have had season tickets since 1998. Having a new hat and jersey makes me bandwagon?

I also just bought a brand new Jason Pierre Paul jersey with the Super Bowl Patch and the Giants Super Bowl Champs hat. Those are brand new, so am I bandwagon?

Old
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I've fraternized with a few ranger fans at MSG and they're cordial and knowledgeable. The other locations seem to bring out the real scum. I had a Islander fan friend leaving NUMC after a NYR-NYI game with his girlfriend and he got jumped by a gang of 4 young ranger fans. They broke his nose for no other reason, than he was wearing Islander colors. That stuff tends to happen outside of MSG.
it does?

Old
04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Affinity

Who cares? It's good for the league whether it's our fanbase, Pittsburgh's, Washington's or Phoenix's. NHL fans are constantly *****ing about NHL not getting enough coverage or respect and then we get more attention and everyone's a bandwagon fan. You know, sometimes those bandwagon fans stick and become actual fans. Not everyone came out their mom wearing a Rangers jersey.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Who cares? It's good for the league whether it's our fanbase, Pittsburgh's, Washington's or Phoenix's. NHL fans are constantly *****ing about NHL not getting enough coverage or respect and then we get more attention and everyone's a bandwagon fan. You know, sometimes those bandwagon fans stick and become actual fans. Not everyone came out their mom wearing a Rangers jersey.
Hockey fans do complain a lot. They complain about not getting enough attention and then when they do, they complain that people know nothing about the sport or that they liked it better when they were an elitist group that liked hockey before it was popular.

If people become interested by the run and become Ranger fans, that's awesome. Great to see that. Of course there will be the people that come around on Facebook that don't know **** and post statuses about how much they love the Rangers to fit in and act cool but I don't let that bother me. Their fake happiness about every championship for every team they bandwagon will never amount to the happiness that I'll have whenever one of my teams (Mets, Jets, Rangers, God help me) wins just one.

04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
RangersInSeven

I'm far from a bandwagon fan, I'm sure I've watched more then 90% of Ranger games over the past 18 years. I have found that I am much more interested in this years team then any in recent memory. I think it's more then just "they're good" but that certainly helps. I don't think it's unusual or offensive that more casual fans take more of an interest now that things are going so well. Let's be honest, I wouldn't plan my activities around watching the 2002-03 Rangers like I am in this years playoff.

RangersInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
eco's bones

Been watching the Rangers since 71-72. None of this matters to me. People come out--they come out. For whatever reason. I'm in for the long run. I'll watch them until I'm dead. Then I won't matter either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
That stuff tends to happen outside of MSG.
Ughh, no it doesn't...at least not regularly. What do you think this is, Philly?

04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Yep, everyone's suddenly making Rangers facebook posts. People that I know never watch hockey texting me about the Rangers. People at work talking about the Rangers. So funny.
It truly is amazing how many people hopped on lol

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:26 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
One difference I notice once the playoffs start are all the strangers saying "Let's go Rangers" to me when I'm out in public with my Rangers hat. Guys honking horns in parking lots too. I wear that hat all year round and never hear a thing until it's playoff time and everyone is suddenly a Ranger fan.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
One difference I notice once the playoffs start are all the strangers saying "Let's go Rangers" to me when I'm out in public with my Rangers hat. Guys honking horns in parking lots too. I wear that hat all year round and never hear a thing until it's playoff time and everyone is suddenly a Ranger fan.
Yup, same here. On my daily walks from 5th and 53rd to Penn Station, I have always had something Rangers on (hat, shirt, jacket, jersey). I've been doing this all season long. Last few weeks, everybody has something to say to me haha

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote