HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seeing a lot of bandwagonner fans come out of the woodwork recently?

Old
05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
NYR99

vCash: 500
It's true that everyone has to start somewhere, but it can also be annoying.

At work the other day I was watching game 1. Someone else in the room was saying how they really like hockey and are a huge Rangers fan... after about 10 minutes of play he asks me, "So what color are the Rangers wearing?" I just politely said, "Blue".

NYR99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
rick063092

Caller into WFAN this afternoon..
Bandwagon-"I'm a die hard Ranger fan, I never miss a game, but I can't stand MSG (network). They wouldn't broadcast the game in CT. last night"
Joe and Evan-"Game was on NBCSN"
Bandwagon-"I know, I called Cablevision, and they told me I had to have the sports package to get the channel, and I couldn't watch the game"

Point being-what was this moron doing, when we had a slew of games on NBCSN this year?

I don't hate a new fan to hockey (regardless of playoff time), if they are there for the game/team/sport. The numb nuts that have been coming to MSG since the Winter Classic in their sideways baseball hats that don't even have the concept to wait for a whistle before getting another beer in order to show they got drunk at a Ranger game, I can do without..

rick063092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick063092 View Post
Caller into WFAN this afternoon..
Bandwagon-"I'm a die hard Ranger fan, I never miss a game, but I can't stand MSG (network). They wouldn't broadcast the game in CT. last night"
Joe and Evan-"Game was on NBCSN"
Bandwagon-"I know, I called Cablevision, and they told me I had to have the sports package to get the channel, and I couldn't watch the game"

Point being-what was this moron doing, when we had a slew of games on NBCSN this year?

I don't hate a new fan to hockey (regardless of playoff time), if they are there for the game/team/sport. The numb nuts that have been coming to MSG since the Winter Classic in their sideways baseball hats that don't even have the concept to wait for a whistle before getting another beer in order to show they got drunk at a Ranger game, I can do without..
Absolutely hysterical. My biggest problem is not those who waver between teams, not those who suddenly jump on the wagon (because honestly that what the sport needs and if 1 of 1 million people who bandwagon this season becomes a die hard fan I'll be thrilled) it's the fan who follows the team heavily when it's convientent for them. It's the guy who followed the rangers every playoff year after he bought a Gomez jersey cause he was going to change the team but then ran and hid until the Winter Classic this year when he sprinted to Sports Authority and bought a Callahan jersey... You either love tour team and you follow every day or you don't.

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

My friend asked me last night why the Rangers always dump the puck in instead of skating it in, i laughed and said long story lol, non-hockey fans are the worst.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
rangers5000

imo a "real fan" never leaves, you either love the team or you don't, bandwaggon fans will come and go, they only follow when they win, real ranger fans follow every day every year good or bad

i got no beef with a casual fan cheering for the rangers, just don't pretend to be a real fan

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

I turned on my TV just now and saw a bandwagonner. he just said

"bak aftah dis."
-Mike Francessa

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I don't mid a bandwagoner, but just don't try and tell me you've been a die-hard for all these years.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I don't mid a bandwagoner, but just don't try and tell me you've been a die-hard for all these years.
People randomly come up to you and say "I been a diehard foreva !' ?

No, you hear the typical random idiots on talk radio who are idiots to begin with, so discount them already.

Hockey is a niche sport, with success any US City rallies around it's team when it does well, NYC is no different.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
People randomly come up to you and say "I been a diehard foreva !' ?

No, you hear the typical random idiots on talk radio who are idiots to begin with, so discount them already.

Hockey is a niche sport, with success any US City rallies around it's team when it does well, NYC is no different.
Not exactly in context of those EXACT words, but yes, i've heard people claim somewhat they've been a fan for awhile.

It doesn't happen just with hockey. Knicks are probably a perfect example.

Right after 2010, everyone was suddenly now a Knicks fan.

"Oh my God, this is awesome after watching all those Isiah years"..when in reality they are full of *****.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

i was talkin to a bandwagoner on the train the other day who thought we won 3 cups in a row (2005-2007) and also thought we had never gone to game 7 before the caps series. he then mentioned the boyle was our teams best player for the last 3 years... i dont mind people who get into it around playoff time but the ones who pretend to be expert and really know nothing just bother me

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Abooch68

Honestly I don't mind a "bandwagon" fan. It's times like this, and teams like this that can actually turn those "bandwagon" fans into diehards. Like other posters said, everyone has to start somewhere.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Hey , every fan has to start somewhere , kudos to the so called band wagoners who stick around and genuinely love this franchise
that would be me. im a 1994 bandwagoner type fan. but, of course, i stuck with the team through thick and thin mostly thin.

Since we've brought Torts in, i havent felt so optimistic about this franchise in a looooong loooooong time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
that would be me. im a 1994 bandwagoner type fan. but, of course, i stuck with the team through thick and thin mostly thin.

Since we've brought Torts in, i havent felt so optimistic about this franchise in a looooong loooooong time.
awwww yea! I was 10 when they won in 94 , i guess Im in the same boat , started in watching in 91 -92 , didn't miss one game of those awful seasons with no playoffs , this is so sweet

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
Honestly I don't mind a "bandwagon" fan. It's times like this, and teams like this that can actually turn those "bandwagon" fans into diehards. Like other posters said, everyone has to start somewhere.
Very true. Plenty of people hopped on board in 94 (myself included, though I was only 10 at the time) and stuck around through the dark years.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
gmerger37

Hearing Fatcessa talk hockey is hysterical.

He claims he watches the playoff games yet barely knows anyone's name, he keeps referring to Kreider as "the kid" or "that kid".

Today when he was asking Micheletti about the game winner he pronounced Gaborik "Gah-bore-heck". And it wasn't him butchering it because of his accent, he just straight up killed Gabby's last name.

But the all time best question he asked today was "Joe do dah goalies evah get tired in a game like dis? I mean do dey tire or are they alright?"

gmerger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
rangers5000

i know alot jumped on in 94, but staying a ranger from from 98-05 is the key, i hate fans who only are with a team when there playing good, and then jump on another team when there not

i don't mind the fans who only get into the big games, but the ones who pretend like there die hards and know nothing annoy me

the "spike lee" fans who never watch unless its a big game, then he is there acting like this die hard fan, it really annoys me, i wonder how many ranger games that guy watched over the last 15 years

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Rangers1985

Keep drinkin that diet coke Francesa.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
Craig Carton knows more hockey than Fatcessa

edit: and that's terrible. He knows more in that he knows that he knows nothing. He doesn't pretend.

Last edited by Trident61494: 05-03-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I won't even lie, I'm being a total **** face when it comes to band wagoners.

It's just that I became a big fan during the dark days and stuck with it. A bunch of these newbies, specifically my sister, happened to care around January.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't mind bandwagoners one bit. In fact, bandwagoners are excellent for the sport. I want to see more. Casual fans make the games go round.

It's ignorant bandwagoners, or obnoxious bandwagoners, that piss me off.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:38 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
I lol'd because i'm drinking some too

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:46 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

I honestly don't mind certain bandwagon fans. I mean if you're rooting for the Rangers then you're good in my book, but if you start pretending to know more about the team than i do then that's no good. Some guy i know roots for them because they are in the playoffs but admits he has no clue how Hockey is played.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote