HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barclay's Center & Brooklyn/Queens Talk PART II

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
potvins4cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJR321 View Post
I think any speculation really needs to be put on hold. At least until after the game against the Devils. I love the Islanders, even if they suck. In my honest preference, I would rather they keep the Islanders where they are, but renovate NVMC. I know there is an extremely slim chance of that happening.
There are two things working against this scenario.

1- who is going to pay for the reno of the coliseum. not wang and certainly not nassau.

2- ABLI and the Town of Hempstead have told us already that they want to do something else on the nassau hub that does not include the ny islanders.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Charles Wang probably won't live another 30 years, but I see your point.

Do you trust him to leave the team to a worthy successor in his will?

Old
04-14-2012, 10:33 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I've been a fan for over 30 yrs.I'd rather see them play another 30 yrs in the asbestos palace,then move out of state.
You missed my point. The issue isn't..."Asbestos palace" vs. moving.

The issue is...

Charles Wang as owner vs. moving.

I don't care where the team plays in New York...I care who the owner is, and I don't care for them to stay in NY if I have to endure the embarrassment that is Charles Wang's ownership for the foreseeable future...

Old
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
lorwood

I barely have any interest in the team right now. I watch at the beginning of the season then cringe for a few weeks then just stop watching.

My main interest right now is in the arena /ownership situation as I see this as the lynch pin to the future.

If Wang makes an Arena deal , where ever, and continues to run the organization as he has in the past I will have no more interest in the NY Islanders. Why would I? Because they happen to play in the same geographic location that I work and live in? to me that just seems silly.

For those who think this team can make the playoffs next year I ask..

Are you watching the playoffs? Don't you see the difference in the caliper of talent?

And if the NHL realigns....forget it!

Old
04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

The issue is...

I don't care where the team plays in New York...I care who the owner is, and I don't care for them to stay in NY if I have to endure the embarrassment that is Charles Wang's ownership for the foreseeable future...
@periferal. You hit on a point that's becoming ever more wide spread through the Islanders frustrated and downtrodden fan base.

Now, I'll pull no punches. I'm a Nassau or "Long island" is the best option person. I think barclay's Center and Brooklyn doesn't work for the Isles and even Queens is a stretch at this point.

But if Charles Wang remains owner, it doesn't matter where they play. The Drive for Suck will continue. I personally am at the point if Charles remains, anyone else can have them. I've got better things to do then continue to watch this non improving train wreck year after year. I was all for a rebuild, but eventually you got to actually start competing to "win" and that isn't happening.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:36 PM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

vCash: 50
I think Wang sells when the lease runs out, he's not spending now and wants that new arena deal in Nassau. Brooklyn is of no interest to him. He is in it for the money and it will not come in Brooklyn.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
So you are saying that those 3000 season ticket holders will never get replaced with the team playing in one of the most populated cities in the united states. especially if they are under new ownership and that ownership actually puts a winning product on the ice.
You are making alot of assumptions here. I'm talking about where the team plays. I mentioned nothing of new ownership or change in the lineup.

Why would they want to risk losing the small # of people who pay for ST?

Move away to a place where Long Islanders don't want to go, and you have done precisely that.

And just b/c there are alot of people in Brooklyn -- doesn't mean that there are alot of hockey fans in the seats. And if they DO want to see hockey -- they have been going to MSG, to see a much better team.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

NEWS on Coliseum

Per BD Gallof

Quote:
#isles - Hearing Mangano working on some proposal on Coliseum. Per source: "It is very cryptic or very ignorant. I believe the latter"
Quote:
to add to this thick #isles soup, one has to wonder what Nassau Dems who look to topple Mangano in 2013 have up their sleeve on plans
Quote:
agreed. meanwhile all quiet in Suffolk. tried an inquiry but no response. not even a peep.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Do you trust him to leave the team to a worthy successor in his will?
Who knows? It worked for the Blackhawks!

Old
04-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
Per BD Gallof
Isles have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup next year then they do of getting an arena in Nassau County. God I wish they'd just come out & say we're done in Nassau already. Move on, it's never going to happen there, the political landscape is simply too incompetent to get something done.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Isles have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup next year then they do of getting an arena in Nassau County. God I wish they'd just come out & say we're done in Nassau already. Move on, it's never going to happen there, the political landscape is simply too incompetent to get something done.
I hope the Isles move to Barclays next season. But the fact that Madonna is rehearsing in the Coliseum makes that unlikely. Can NY state and Federal OSHA still condemn the building despite Madonna's arrangement?

Old
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

And just b/c there are alot of people in Brooklyn -- doesn't mean that there are alot of hockey fans in the seats. And if they DO want to see hockey -- they have been going to MSG, to see a much better team.
Exactly.

Just because you put a new arena in Brooklyn, you still have the same old Charles Wang owned Islanders playing there. What makes you believe the people of Brooklyn will be burning the phone lines trying to call the Islanders to buy season tickets?

The Islanders have used up just about all their good will with their fan base.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
With the seating the way it is, it looks a little like the top down view of a crapper.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Seattle could be a good fit for Isles

This thread is awful and the arguments proposed are redundant.

Seattle is passing legislation and is currently finding new ways to alleviate traffic concerns for there new NBA/NHL arena. 3 years from now The New York Islanders will move there.

Phoenix to Quebec and The Isles to Seattle.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Seattle is passing legislation and is currently finding new ways to alleviate traffic concerns for there new NBA/NHL arena. 3 years from now The New York Islanders will move there.

Guess it will be a lot of late games for me.

04-16-2012, 10:36 PM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

Quote:

Who says Wang will sell?

Old
04-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Who says Wang will sell?
Does he have to sell if the team moves to Seattle?

Maybe he could still own the Isles and make the boat-load of money he wants to make if the team moves to Seattle.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
19 in a row

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have to agree that Seattle or another city is looking more and more practical if you take out our fan bias. That is as long as they can make up for lost cable revenue that the NY area would generate through additional revenue streams or other intangibles such as good will/stability etc.
I will still hope for a miracle and enjoy them for the next 2 years. Let the chips fall where they may.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
potvins4cups

Quote:

From the sound of some posters on here, they would prefer this rather than a move to brooklyn. quite sad if you ask me.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
From the sound of some posters on here, they would prefer this rather than a move to brooklyn. quite sad if you ask me.
I haven't seen anyone in here say that they want to see the team move to Seattle, I certainly don't.

From the standpoint of the fans who attend or watch locally on TV, Seattle would probably be just about the worst place due to geographic location and time zone.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

As a Ranger fan, and a fan of NYC metro hockey, in general...I would HATE HATE HATE to see the Isles leave. Having 3 teams in the area is amazing.

Brooklyn wouldn't be ideal for those living on the actual Island, but rather than moving to stupid Seattle... you'd have to accept it.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Steve55

Quote:

I think the Isles will move to Queens before ever thinking of Seattle
http://www.*************.com/index.p...post&p=1254739

All I know is that they discussed having an arena either in the Citi Field lot, or Flushing Meadow Park, over by the tennis complex. They also discussed, and this is the first I have heard of this, the old Flushing airport grounds in Whitestone, which are currently abandoned, and are the very first exit off the Whitestone Bridge. For those of you that take the Cross Island to Met's games, its the vast empty space behind the New York Times building about 2 minutes from Citi Field. Probably nothing will happen there though because of lack of mass transit. Anyway, nothing in detail has happened, or is scheduled to happen, mutual interest has simply been exchanged between the NYI and Queens. They are not even remotely close to discussing things such as financing, lease agreements, ownership, or partners.

these discussions haven't just started, they have been "off and on" for a while. The interest between the two sides has been known since before the referendum.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

The issue is...

I'd rather have 30 more yrs of Wang owning the team,then see them sold and moved out of the NY area.

The lease expires in 3 more seasonx.Do fans expect Wang to sign a similar money losing lease?Put another albatross around the franchise's neck,so we are at a sever disadvantage when it comes to payrolls?

Old
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
Brooklyn (at best) is marginally preferable to a place like Seattle.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Brooklyn (at best) is marginally preferable to a place like Seattle.
In the sort of way that having a large schnoz is marginally preferable to having no schnoz at all.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Closed Thread