HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2014 NHL Draft Guides(ISS, McKeens, RLR, THN, Future Considerations, Hockey Prospect)

Old
03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
2014 NHL Draft Guides(ISS, McKeens, RLR, THN, Future Considerations, Hockey Prospect)

International Scouting Services - Electronic Version $95.00 (Available May 2014)

McKeen's - Electronic Version available as part of site subscription (June 1st, 2014)

Red Line Report - Both print and electronic versions likely to be available at $50 USD (Available May/June 2014)

The Hockey News - Print and Electronic Versions available $5.99 (Available Late April/Early May 2014)

Future Considerations - Will post more info when it becomes available.

Hockey Prospect - Print and Electronic versions available $39.99 (2012, 2013 PDF's included). Print version price TBD. (Available May 2014)

http://www.isshockey.com/shop/2014-nhl-draft-guide/
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blo...e-9-99-expect/
http://www.redlinereport.com/order-form/
https://secure.thehockeynews.com/onl...014&title=thn&
http://futureconsiderations.ca/categ...-draft-centre/
http://www.hockeyprospect.com/store/

2009 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=627831
2010 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=714040
2011 - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=891707
2012 - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1080991
2013 - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1340305

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-16-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I haven't purchases their guide in a few years, but I'm wondering if there's an explanation as to why ISS almost doubled their price over the course of a year?

As for me, it will be McKeen's, Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations as usual. I'll also get THN as part of my subscription for collection purposes, but not expecting much.

Old
03-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

I got the Black Book last year and I enjoyed it.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I haven't purchases their guide in a few years, but I'm wondering if there's an explanation as to why ISS almost doubled their price over the course of a year?

As for me, it will be McKeen's, Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations as usual. I'll also get THN as part of my subscription for collection purposes, but not expecting much.
I can't speak for why ISS raised their price, but I get their guide every year, and find it to be very informative and generally well-done.

Of the three you mention -- McKeen's, Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations -- which in your opinion is the best value for the money in terms of scouting reports for players in the mid to later rounds (third round and beyond)? I ask because the ISS guide has what I find to be decent scouting reports, with at least Strengths and Needs Improvement listed for for as many as 200 players.

I am hoping to be able to broaden my viewpoint significantly this year by getting at least one more draft guide, maybe two, in addition to ISS. And as a fan of a team that does not seem to place a great deal of stock in having first-round picks I need as much information as I can get on players in the later rounds.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I can't speak for why ISS raised their price, but I get their guide every year, and find it to be very informative and generally well-done.

Of the three you mention -- McKeen's, Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations -- which in your opinion is the best value for the money in terms of scouting reports for players in the mid to later rounds (third round and beyond)? I ask because the ISS guide has what I find to be decent scouting reports, with at least Strengths and Needs Improvement listed for for as many as 200 players.

I am hoping to be able to broaden my viewpoint significantly this year by getting at least one more draft guide, maybe two, in addition to ISS. And as a fan of a team that does not seem to place a great deal of stock in having first-round picks I need as much information as I can get on players in the later rounds.
McKeen's has always been my personal favorite for informative and knowledgeable scouting reports. I haven't heard if they're publishing a guide this year though. Hockey Prospect's Black Book is by far the largest guide out there in terms of the amount of scouting reports. Just a staggering amount of prospects covered. Future Considerations is a good option too, and the cheaper of the three.

You really can't go wrong with any of those 3. I would recommend to buy them all although it gets quite expensive.

Old
03-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I bought Redline, ISS and Future Considerations last year.

IMO Redline is the best overall, the most solid rankings for the most part and great profile descriptions. That said they are good for overrating a small player or two every year, you just have to keep that in mind. I've bought them at least 5 times and they are my go to.

ISS is solid. I love the report card grades on the prospects and their descriptions are solid too. I found I disagreed with their rankings a bit more than Redline's but I will be looking to purchase them again if the cost isn't too crazy.

FC was decent value for the price but overall not as high calibre as Redline or ISS.

I've never bought McKeens so I may give them a try this year.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Devils1029

I prefer print copies and haven't bought McKeens since the last print version (2010 Guide). I've bought FC the past 4-5 years and it's a good read. I also tried out Redline once. The content is good but it's basically just printed on red construction paper so it's cheaply put together and a little harder to read. Got hockey prospect book a few years back and am curious about the black book. Never got ISS as it's too pricey for me, especially when I usually like to get 2-3 guides. I always get the THN edition for collection purposes and it's usually the first guide out.

This year, will once again get FC and THN and then I'll either go with Red line or the Black Book.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:02 PM
oilers4life5

FYI - http://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blo...e-9-99-expect/

Looks like June 1st

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
grits207

I've bought the ISS guide each of the past few years but there is no way I can justify spending $95 on one draft guide. Even if they were drastically more accurate with their rankings than other guides (which I don't think they are) it still wouldn't be worth that much money to me. I will probably end up getting Future Considerations, HP, THN and Dobber Hockey's prospect guide instead.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
scott99

I can't believe ISS has gone up to $95, hell $60 was too much for it. My uncle and I take turns buying it and emailing it to each other. This year was his year, but there was a Black Friday sale for half off, so he bought it for $45 I'm guessing. I love the guide, very in depth, but no way is it worth a 55% increase from $60. Hell it really isn't worth $60.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
I've bought the ISS guide each of the past few years but there is no way I can justify spending $95 on one draft guide. Even if they were drastically more accurate with their rankings than other guides (which I don't think they are) it still wouldn't be worth that much money to me. I will probably end up getting Future Considerations, HP, THN and Dobber Hockey's prospect guide instead.
Agreed. HP is quite good, THN is always fun to read and inexpensive, and FC is not bad. Luckily my uncle already ordered ISS and we'll be sharing it.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:04 AM
PhilaFlyers

$95 is ridiculous.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 05:05 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood
Over next few weeks, busy profiling #2014NHLDraft prospects for the @DobberHockey Prospect Guide (comes out in June). Will include Mock
Another one that might be worth including...

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
I absolutely LOVE the hp black book, the game reports/scouting for the prospects throughout the year is a game changer for me.

For example, countless times I've looked up players game reports throughout the year to not only get a sense of their scouting report but you truly get to see the good/bad tendencies throughout the year from them.

I really like the fact it also includes lots of prospects in the following years draft also.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
edmontonfan59

Who has the best record of being correct over the past few years of the ones listed here??

edmontonfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 05:00 AM
DanrikCarter

How many players does redline include in their guide?

DanrikCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
pokerface1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanrikCarter View Post
How many players does redline include in their guide?
they rank/list about 300 players overall. they have one line comments on about the top 175. they have detailed writeups on the top 115 players including their projections.

pokerface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
mckeenshockey

Hello,

Sorry for a long note, but we have made some significant changes for this years magazine, most notably the price combined with extra content. You can learn more here http://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blo...e-9-99-expect/

We are including a digital magazine (with hyperlinks) with each McKeen's Hockey subscription at $9.99 for a three month subscription. The Digital magazine can be downloaded to PDF as in previous years. When we publish on June 1st, a download will be available to subscribers (details in the link above). We are posting scouting profiles online right up until publication if you want a head start. Lot's to read prior to publication.

With your subscription you will also have access to the McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook content online. We will begin updating the site for the 2014-15 season on May 1st including player profiles for teams eliminated from the playoffs. All teams will be online by August 1st.

We are looking into a print edition as well with more details end of next week.

It is our same insightful and detailed reports from the team directed by David Burstyn and Iain Morrell. Along with our exclusive top 120 ranking we will be profiling a total of 120 players, along with some great editorial including the top 5 in 12 different categories (skating, leadership, etc.) by Grant McCagg.

We appreciate your support in past seasons and look forward to the coming draft. We believe our new subscription represents a tremendous value and hope you give it a try.

Last edited by mckeenshockey: 04-17-2014 at 01:30 PM.
mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeenshockey View Post
Hello,

Sorry for a long note, but we have made some significant changes for this years magazine, most notably the price combined with extra content. You can learn more here http://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blo...e-9-99-expect/

We are including a digital magazine (with hyperlinks) with each McKeen's Hockey subscription at $9.99 for a three month subscription. The Digital magazine can be downloaded to PDF as in previous years. When we publish on June 1st, a download will be available to subscribers (details in the link above). We are posting scouting profiles online right up until publication if you want a head start. Lot's to read prior to publication.

With your subscription you will also have access to the McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook content online. We will begin updating the site for the 2014-15 season on May 1st including player profiles for teams eliminated from the playoffs. All teams will be online by August 1st.

We are looking into a print edition as well with more details end of next week.

It is our same insightful and detailed reports from the team directed by David Burstyn and Iain Morrell. Along with our exclusive top 120 ranking we will be profiling a total of 120 players, along with some great editorial including the top 5 in 12 different categories (skating, leadership, etc.) by Grant McCagg.

We appreciate your support in past seasons and look forward to the coming draft. We believe our new subscription represents a tremendous value and hope you give it a try.
If your print edition will be anything like what you used to put out, I'm all over that! I have your last two editions and as long as the price is reasonable, I will certainly be picking that up.

Old
04-19-2014, 03:43 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
If your print edition will be anything like what you used to put out, I'm all over that! I have your last two editions and as long as the price is reasonable, I will certainly be picking that up.
whats the average price of theirs?

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 06:11 AM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
whats the average price of theirs?
I's been a few years since they had a print edition but it was right in line line with most others...I had pre-ordered but then they opted to not do an edition and refunded the money - I then bought Red line. So putting a $ guess on it, I'd say probably between $30-$40.

It's still a lot for basically a magazine but there is obviously a TON of man hours that go into all that scouting.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:25 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
I's been a few years since they had a print edition but it was right in line line with most others...I had pre-ordered but then they opted to not do an edition and refunded the money - I then bought Red line. So putting a $ guess on it, I'd say probably between $30-$40.

It's still a lot for basically a magazine but there is obviously a TON of man hours that go into all that scouting.
Ya, I'm sure they put a lot of effort into it. thanks for the reply

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 11:47 PM
thefeebster

Wow, am I reading this correctly? For $9.99, you get the online content from McKeens plus the Draft Guide (which in years past was $30) and a hockey pool guide?

If so, that's a smoking deal.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 06:47 AM
mckeenshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Wow, am I reading this correctly? For $9.99, you get the online content from McKeens plus the Draft Guide (which in years past was $30) and a hockey pool guide?

If so, that's a smoking deal.
It is a great value (in our humble opinion). We have gone a little different direction with pricing to build our subscription base as much as possible.

If you are subscribed to McKeen's Online at the time of publication you will receive the digital magazine. It is a recurring subscription ($9.99 for a three month subscription - $3.33 a month) so you will need to still be subscribed to receive the digital version of McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook when it is published. We will update predictions and online profiles right up until the start of the NHL season.

We are hoping to add another publication to the roster (no promises - yet) for mid winter making the yearly subscription ($35) an even better value.

We are posting scouting profiles all the time which will form the basis of the scouting profiles included in the Draft Guide. We will begin posting 2014-15 NHL profiles on May 1st, completing on August 1st. Lots to read and worth subscribing today.

You can cancel the subscription at any time and will receive the full term of your purchase.

Last edited by mckeenshockey: 04-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.
mckeenshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:37 AM
PhilaFlyers

What is the best print draft guide in everyone's opinion?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote