HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Which prospects are "stuck" in the AHL and you feel should be in NHL

Old
Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

vCash: 500
Which prospects are "stuck" in the AHL and you feel should be in NHL

First off I hate using the word "stuck" when asking questions like this, but I figured its the easiest way to ask.

I am wondering which players you feel should be in the NHL but for whatever reason(cap reasons, NHL roster reasons, etc etc) aren't.

First player that comes to mind very easily is Brandon Montour. A lot of people say he is the best player in the AHL and should absolutely be playing in the NHL, but obviously as we all know, Ducks defense situation is set for the year and if there are no injuries or trades, Montour wont get a taste on the NHL at all again this year.

Who are other names do you feel should be 100% in NHL???

You can add goalies too... a lot feel Saros is ready but obviously makes ZERO sense having him riding the pine behind Rinne

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:48 PM
RipCityPuckers

Kapanen deserves a look

RipCityPuckers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:05 PM
Aceboogie

Montour, Kapanen.

My personal feeling that Brossoit should be in the NHL asap. Hes better than Gustavsson and hes also doing REALLY well in the AHL. Better for him to learn NHL style versus just more games in AHL

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:07 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Montour, Kapanen.

My personal feeling that Brossoit should be in the NHL asap. Hes better than Gustavsson and hes also doing REALLY well in the AHL. Better for him to learn NHL style versus just more games in AHL
Ya I forgot about him actually. I agree

Old
Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Bobby Orrtuzzo
aka A Sad Blues Fan

For the Blues it's probably Schmaltz, but he's stuck behind Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Shattenkirk.

Bobby Orrtuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:19 PM
OvermanKingGainer
Jankowski 4 Hart

vCash: 50
As someone who has seen quite a few Gulls games, I disagree that Montour is the best player in the AHL. He is very good at getting power play point shots on net, but that's about it. I never notice his play positively outside of those situations. The Kings (Gravel and Amadio) have prospects that catch my eye more often.

Anyways to answer the question, I would say Mark Jankowski is absolutely a top 9 NHLer right now. The Flames have not had a single injury at centre yet this year though. I don't mind however, as he's not a player that has necessarily peaked.

OvermanKingGainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:25 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Until his recent call-up Joel Vermin.

From the Habs I'd say Hudon is NHL calibre who could easily replace someone like Flynn

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Virtanen

Tryampled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:29 PM
Canada4Gold

Leipsic.

I feel like Kap will benefit from a full year in the AHL as the guy. He could be in the NHL right now, but I think he'd be better off in the long run staying where he is.

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
will13

Leipsic and Kapanen from the marlies

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Technically he's back there, so Derrick Pouliot is definitely up there...it's likely going to take the expansion draft (or injuries) to clear a spot for him...be it for Vegas or the Pens.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvermanKingGainer View Post
As someone who has seen quite a few Gulls games, I disagree that Montour is the best player in the AHL. He is very good at getting power play point shots on net, but that's about it. I never notice his play positively outside of those situations. The Kings (Gravel and Amadio) have prospects that catch my eye more often.

Anyways to answer the question, I would say Mark Jankowski is absolutely a top 9 NHLer right now. The Flames have not had a single injury at centre yet this year though. I don't mind however, as he's not a player that has necessarily peaked.
I gotta say, I've been genuinely impressed with Jankowski when I watch him.

And I totally agree with you about Montour. He's a great player but he isn't dominating as much as HF seems to think. What I've started to notice about the AHL is that it's very possible to pile up points without looking as good as the point totals suggest. But maybe I'm just overly critical because the SD Gulls' announcers are actually the worst sports announcers I've ever heard.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
Leipsic.

I feel like Kap will benefit from a full year in the AHL as the guy. He could be in the NHL right now, but I think he'd be better off in the long run staying where he is.
I have such high hopes for him. I watched him play many times for many years when he was on Portland in WHL and I absolutely loved him. He was one of the most effective players I have seen in many years due to his offensive ability and the fact during every game, opposing players and opposing fans wanted to kill the guy. He was one of the biggest pests Ive ever seen. Unsure if he still plays that way in the pro's though... If someone could chime in about that, Id love to know

He would have the crowd booing him and screaming at him and then he would go and score a hattrick or whatever and shut the crowd up... and then dive a few times and fight a guy twice his size. It was unreal to watch

Old
Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Good thread. Flyers have Sam Morin in Lehigh Valley who hasn't stopped improving since his draft. Fans are anxious to see him in the NHL, but the Flyers have a crowded blueline with a lot of bottom pair guys and youngsters, so it's a tough lineup for him to crack even if he's ready.

Random Forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Ya I forgot about him actually. I agree
Hes at or around a 0.930 (dropped to 0.925 after a poor game) this year in third season. Hes number are comparable to Gibson/AV/Murray/Marzek/Helly who mostly had 0.930 in 2nd/3rd AHL year and then graduated to NHL

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Arthuros
Registered Snoozer

vCash: 229
Montour deserves at least a cup of coffee. Theo's not looked good outside of the Vancouver game in front of a hometown crowd.

Arthuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Forest View Post
Good thread. Flyers have Sam Morin in Lehigh Valley who hasn't stopped improving since his draft. Fans are anxious to see him in the NHL, but the Flyers have a crowded blueline with a lot of bottom pair guys and youngsters, so it's a tough lineup for him to crack even if he's ready.
Yeh, last year and now this he has been up against the best the AHL can offer night in, night out and has done a great job defensively while also being a great PKer and a player who can skate and pass way out of trouble too. Not to mention that absurd slap-shot.

I think he will be here before the end of the season though if he continues the year like he has started it.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Forest View Post
Geeze I forgot about him too.. that's why I wanted to make this thread so I can see feedback from other fans.

Ya Morin plays a style that all teams could use IMO.. where as a guy like Sanheim may have his work cut out for him seeing who is ahead of him too. I could see Sanheim's name come up in a thread like this in a year or 2.

Old
Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Tube Skates

I 've never seen Montour play and was hopeful he would get a call up this year. Over the last couple of years following him on these boards this is the first time that I've heard anything negative about him. It comes as quite a surprise.

Tube Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:06 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Duncan Siemens has played 1 game in the NHL in 4 years of pro. He's been solid in the AHL. I realize his shortcomings, namely non existent puck skills, but at this point you just have to see if he can do anything at the NHL level. It's not like they are winning anything right now. Also, AJ Greer should have stayed with the team. I know he's 19 and it's a little early but he played well and gives them a dimension that the Avs dont have. He's also the type of player I feel would benefit more from NHL practices and games but obviously isn't "stuck" at this point. Chris Bigras should have been in the NHL this year too but of course he got injured in the AHL because it's much more likely to happen there. It's not like the Avs have much to play for so it is silly they aren't going to the kids at this point.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Siludin

The Canucks have two, though I wouldn't put them ahead of the guys already mentioned from other teams:

Jordan Subban Currently stuck behind a Canucks team that is suddenly very rich in right-handed defensemen. He is stuck behind: Gudbranson, Tanev, Stecher, Larsen, Biega @ RHD.
--- http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=145088

Alex Grenier He has been toiling for years, but hasn't gone a year without improvement. He was billed as a project and with his size and skill he could still be a bottom-six player. Like Subban, the Canucks have a lot of middling depth at RW that he will have a tough time breaking through. He is stuck behind: Eriksson, Hansen, Dorsett, Rodin, Skille, and Virtanen @ RW
--- http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=134706

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:42 PM
Big Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orrtuzzo View Post
For the Blues it's probably Schmaltz, but he's stuck behind Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Shattenkirk.
We'll take him on the Leafs then

Big Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Pavel Buchnevich

I would've said Hrivik, but he was recently called up and is playing well.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Skates View Post
I 've never seen Montour play and was hopeful he would get a call up this year. Over the last couple of years following him on these boards this is the first time that I've heard anything negative about him. It comes as quite a surprise.
Montour is great but not the Erik Karlsson of the AHL as we're constantly led to believe.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 06:07 PM
HaleyDestroyedNurse
2 People

vCash: 467
Half of the Barracuda are blocked by a log jam of depth. Their entire top6 forwards and 3 of the top4 defensemen could play on an NHL roster.

HaleyDestroyedNurse is online now   Reply With Quote