HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Colton Parayko - Alaska Nanooks, WCHA (2012, 86th overall, St. Louis)

Old
03-14-2014, 08:09 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
RD Colton Parayko - Alaska Nanooks, WCHA (2012, 86th overall, St. Louis)

Has anyone watched him extensively? I know next to nothing about him other than the Blues selected him in the third round in 2012, he's an assistant captain at Alaska Fairbanks and he just won the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year Award following his sophomore season. Like I said, I've never even seen him play a game, so any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:42 PM
BlueSinceBirth

vCash: 500
I really hope someone has seen him here. He seems to be flying under the radar.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Anchor Town

He's really good. Best player on the team. Man amongst boys out there. Doesn't need another season in college but will probably get one.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Anchor Town

2 more goals for him tonight

Old
03-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
2 more goals for him tonight
I think the Blues will sign him. His season is likely over as they were bounced from the tournament. Unless Schmaltz is signed, I think the Blues will bring him into the fold this next year. They need a puck move in Chicago.

Schmaltz is likely going to stick at NODAK to play with his younger brother next season - atleast that is the rumor going around.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:30 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I think the Blues will sign him. His season is likely over as they were bounced from the tournament. Unless Schmaltz is signed, I think the Blues will bring him into the fold this next year. They need a puck move in Chicago.

Schmaltz is likely going to stick at NODAK to play with his younger brother next season - atleast that is the rumor going around.
Well it's not really the Blues' decision. He has a say in it too, and many go the college route because they want to spend 4 years. I don't know if that's the case or not with Parayko, but I do think it's more his call than StL.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

now the usual question...... who is a good nhl player comparison to Parayko???? love the Blues and VERY intrigued by this guy

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I don't see any harm in letting him play another year or two in college. The Wolves have a TON of Dmen and I'd rather him play a big role on his team in college than play off and on in the AHL. I'd like to actually watch him play though. Leads his team in blocked shots. Hitch will love that

Old
03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I don't see any harm in letting him play another year or two in college. The Wolves have a TON of Dmen and I'd rather him play a big role on his team in college than play off and on in the AHL. I'd like to actually watch him play though. Leads his team in blocked shots. Hitch will love that
I'd say 1 more year makes the most sense. Future replacement for Polak or Jackman 2-3 years down the line.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
now the usual question...... who is a good nhl player comparison to Parayko???? love the Blues and VERY intrigued by this guy
His style is pretty similar to Pietrangelo. Obviously not in the same ball park though

Old
03-16-2014, 12:34 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
His style is pretty similar to Pietrangelo. Obviously not in the same ball park though
So, positionally sound with a good stick? Not a guy that will run you through the boards?

Old
03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

We need more of the latter, for sure.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
His game-tying goal last night was pretty nifty:

His head coach had some praise for him:

Quote:
For a sophomore to win this award, with the competition in the league, speaks volumes to his season so far. Colton is a great player and hes continuing to get better like he did from his freshman to sophomore year, Ferguson said. Itll be interesting to see where he can get to, hes a guy destined to play professional hockey and hes a professional person and student and everything he does, he does it the right way.
Parayko is 6'5", 218-pounds and had a +17 rating and was second in the nation with 2.65 blocks per game. He finished his sophomore year with 7-19-26 in 37GP and 11 points in his last 13 games played.

He seems to be extremely humble and hard working on and off the ice, can't wait to see what he can do in the pros.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:07 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
His game-tying goal last night was pretty nifty:

His head coach had some praise for him:

Parayko is 6'5", 218-pounds and had a +17 rating and was second in the nation with 2.65 blocks per game. He finished his sophomore year with 7-19-26 in 37GP and 11 points in his last 13 games played.

He seems to be extremely humble and hard working on and off the ice, can't wait to see what he can do in the pros.
Oh boy. College hockey at its finest.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Well it's not really the Blues' decision. He has a say in it too, and many go the college route because they want to spend 4 years. I don't know if that's the case or not with Parayko, but I do think it's more his call than StL.
And many leave college early if their drafting team feels they are ready to transition.

For St. Louis, it makes far more sense IF THEY THINK HE IS ready to get him into the fold this offseason. The wolves are fighting for a playoff spot, BUT more importantly, if he and Schmatlz decide to wait another year, then we will have an issue with Schmatlz, Vannelli and Parayko all leaving their JR/College teams the same year. All are puck moving dmen. All play the right side. We would have to trade one or stick one in the ECHL for development.

Makes far more sense for the Blues brass to get he or Schmaltz signed this summer.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote