HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Austin Matthews over Chychrun?

Old
04-28-2015, 06:32 PM
derbyfan

vCash: 500
Austin Matthews over Chychrun?

Hi all. This is actually my first thread in quite some time, but I was inspired enough to start one so bear with me.

I have a video production company and do isolation videos for different scouting services. The only reason I bring this up is because I've covered quite a few prospects over the past few years. Granted, I didn't do Stamkos or Tavares (I'm Ontario based). But last year I did Jakob Chychrun, and was blown away.
Of the players I've isolated, he was head and shoulders above the rest. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

So my question is: For those who have seen both, is Matthews above him? And if so, why? I'm honestly just interested in knowing. Most scouting services seem to have Matthews at #1 for the 2016 NHL draft. As I said, Chychrun was one of the best Minor Midget players I've seen, and obviously he was great as an OHL rookie.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2015, 06:40 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Hi all. This is actually my first thread in quite some time, but I was inspired enough to start one so bear with me.

I have a video production company and do isolation videos for different scouting services. The only reason I bring this up is because I've covered quite a few prospects over the past few years. Granted, I didn't do Stamkos or Tavares (I'm Ontario based). But last year I did Jakob Chychrun, and was blown away.
Of the players I've isolated, he was head and shoulders above the rest. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

So my question is: For those who have seen both, is Matthews above him? And if so, why? I'm honestly just interested in knowing. Most scouting services seem to have Matthews at #1 for the 2016 NHL draft. As I said, Chychrun was one of the best Minor Midget players I've seen, and obviously he was great as an OHL rookie.
Did you get to watch Doughty in Minor Midget? If so, how did Chychrun compare?

91Kadri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I have seen both, but not in person and I'm certainly not a scout. For me Chychrun has the inside track. I've never seen any defenseman that good at his age. Who knows what his curve will be, but if his progression remains steady he's going to be an amazing prospect. Mathews is also an elite prospect but in my eyes he's not quite on the same level as Chychrun at this moment. Considering that he and Puljujarvi are forwards there's every chance they could go first even if Chychrun remains the better prospect. I do think Chychrun will be the first-ranked player though. Now, if Chychrun doesn't build off this year then perhaps he may not only not go 1st overall but he may not deserve to. We've seen it in the past where some guys have amazing pre-draft seasons and then disappoint a bit in the draft year, which can hurt their stock.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2015, 07:05 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I did not unfortunately. This is just the last 5 years or so. I've done Brandon Pirri, Daniel Catenacci, Adam Mascherin, Brendan Lemieux, Joshua Ho-Sang, Michael McLeod and others. Now don't get me wrong, I've been there filming others while McDavid, Strome and others were playing, I just never focused on them.

I'd actually love to hear Doughty comparisons for others that may have seen both.

Old
04-28-2015, 07:26 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
I did not unfortunately. This is just the last 5 years or so. I've done Brandon Pirri, Daniel Catenacci, Adam Mascherin, Brendan Lemieux, Joshua Ho-Sang, Michael McLeod and others. Now don't get me wrong, I've been there filming others while McDavid, Strome and others were playing, I just never focused on them.

I'd actually love to hear Doughty comparisons for others that may have seen both.
Thoughts on Michael McLeod? I've got him pegged as a big-time breakout candidate next year.

91Kadri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2015, 07:35 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Thoughts on Michael McLeod? I've got him pegged as a big-time breakout candidate next year.
McLeod. I'll be honest, I wasn't blown away. He did score a last second goal to tie the game, but up to that point I was unimpressed.
I did Mascherin after him, and was way more taken with his game. Plus, I filmed quite a bit of Mascherin as an AP with his Junior A club (Georgetown), and he absolutely tore it up as a 15-year old - no small feat.
Of course, that was a year ago and the development over one year in the O is huge, players can rise and fall. I'm judging McLeod off only one viewing, whereas Mascherin I had several.

Old
04-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Plastic Joseph

Quote:
Seems to be rumblings among OHL scouts that Chychrun is a step ahead of Doughty, Ekblad, and Pietrangelo at the same age.

Plastic Joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2015, 11:12 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Joseph View Post
Seems to be rumblings among OHL scouts that Chychrun is a step ahead of Doughty, Ekblad, and Pietrangelo at the same age.
I disagree with this, but its fair to put him on their level. I think those reports just have the 'shiny new toy' bias on them. That said, if he becomes a step above those players, unless Mackenzie is on a McDavid level, you take Chychrun 1st.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote