HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Oliver Bjorkstrand - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2013, 89th overall, Columbus)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2014, 10:29 AM
  #226
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yeah he cracked the 50 goal mark as the first Dane in tough battle with Nikolaj Ehlers, that ended up having 49 goals in QMJHL.
Also in points he won that battle with 109 against Ehlers 104.
He also got third in points in WHL, while Ehlers was 4'th in QMJHL.
So also a hat-trick in that respect!

Fascinating that the two best Danish performances in the NA junior leagues came the same year.
Really quite something..

Hopefully this will show at next years WJC.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
  #227
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropotentate View Post
Denmark is in the World Juniors next year, and I'm selfishly hoping that Bjorkstrand and Ehlers both play. It would be a treat, and most likely, the best World Juniors for that country in recent memory.
Not only that. There are a few other Danish players of the 1996 born that have had a really good season so far. Sonny Hertzberg is one of the best defensive backs in the swedish junior elite liga and have had his debut in Allsvenskan. And the center playing with Ehlers and Bjorkstrand in the Wjc in Poland, Kristoffer Lauridsen, also took his game to a new level in Malmø.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  #228
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
Not only that. There are a few other Danish players of the 1996 born that have had a really good season so far. Sonny Hertzberg is one of the best defensive backs in the swedish junior elite liga and have had his debut in Allsvenskan. And the center playing with Ehlers and Bjorkstrand in the Wjc in Poland, Kristoffer Lauridsen, also took his game to a new level in Malmø.
Lauridsen is too old to play in the next WJC. But Mikkel Aagaard and Mathias Asperup are still eligible, 5 in fact 5 of the top 6 will return. Biggest problem is that only 3 D men will return. But it is going to be the best WJC team in Danish history.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:27 PM
  #229
Bagge
Registered User
 
Bagge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Lauridsen is too old to play in the next WJC. But Mikkel Aagaard and Mathias Asperup are still eligible, 5 in fact 5 of the top 6 will return. Biggest problem is that only 3 D men will return. But it is going to be the best WJC team in Danish history.
I see that now, damn thought Lauridsen was a 95 also.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
  #230
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,399
vCash: 500
He is crushing it in the WHL playoffs.

14g 10a in only 12 games.

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:46 AM
  #231
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Yeah, he has really been finding the net! Kid has a great shot.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
  #232
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
He is crushing it in the WHL playoffs.

14g 10a in only 12 games.
Yeah highest scoring in all of WHL + OHL + QMJHL combined (Mantha also have 14 goals but with one game more played).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:20 PM
  #233
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
I still love Bjorkstrand, but the biggest transition for him is from juniors to AHL/NHL. He does a lot of things that might (probably) won't work against older and smarter players. Needs to play to his strengths and get heavier in the gym, reminds me a lot of Jakob Voracek.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
  #234
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,075
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I still love Bjorkstrand, but the biggest transition for him is from juniors to AHL/NHL. He does a lot of things that might (probably) won't work against older and smarter players. Needs to play to his strengths and get heavier in the gym, reminds me a lot of Jakob Voracek.
Really? Voracek is a big horse of a guy, great skater for his size. To me, Bjorkstrand always reminded me of a Patric Hornqvist. Not big, but slick and skilled with good smarts.

I agree his transition to the pros is going to be the biggest test he's ever faced.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:38 PM
  #235
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Really? Voracek is a big horse of a guy, great skater for his size. To me, Bjorkstrand always reminded me of a Patric Hornqvist. Not big, but slick and skilled with good smarts.

I agree his transition to the pros is going to be the biggest test he's ever faced.
You're right that Bjorkstrand doesn't have Voracek's frame, but at one time Voracek was a skinny goof who was weak with the puck (during his time with CBJ). He hit the gym hard after every season and became the player he is today. Bjorkstrand is similar to Voracek as both are fantastic skaters who use their skills (stickhandling, vision, finding the open ice, etc.) to get to the net. I still see a lot of similarities to their game once Oliver gets more physically mature. Because in the Winterhawk games I watched this year, he was sort of reckless out there; going across the opponents net at full speed. He isn't Taylor Hall crazy, but I've seen him take a lot of dirty slashs/crosschecks for going to and through the dirty areas.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:42 PM
  #236
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,075
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You're right that Bjorkstrand doesn't have Voracek's frame, but at one time Voracek was a skinny goof who was weak with the puck (during his time with CBJ). He hit the gym hard after every season and became the player he is today. Bjorkstrand is similar to Voracek as both are fantastic skaters who use their skills (stickhandling, vision, finding the open ice, etc.) to get to the net. I still see a lot of similarities to their game once Oliver gets more physically mature.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree. To me, Voracek has always been a poor man's Marian Hossa. Big frame, good skater, but just not up to Marian's level.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
  #237
Vandalay Industries
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
But it is going to be the best WJC team in Danish history.

I beg to differ. The Danish team in World Juniors 2008 will probably never be emulated.

Here are some of the players:

Frederik Andersen
Philip Larsen
Oliver Lauridsen
Mikkel Bødker
Lars Eller
Nicholas Jensen
Nichlas Hardt
Alexander Jensen
Lasse Lassen
Morten Poulsen
Simon Grønvaldt
Sebastian Svendsen


It will take a lot for a Danish JWC team to beat this!!

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 04:14 AM
  #238
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
I beg to differ. The Danish team in World Juniors 2008 will probably never be emulated.

Here are some of the players:

Frederik Andersen
Philip Larsen
Oliver Lauridsen
Mikkel Bødker
Lars Eller
Nicholas Jensen
Nichlas Hardt
Alexander Jensen
Lasse Lassen
Morten Poulsen
Simon Grønvaldt
Sebastian Svendsen


It will take a lot for a Danish JWC team to beat this!!
Denmark Will beat that or come close. A lot of great Young players and a good number in the chl.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2014, 04:06 PM
  #239
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
9 G 15 P in 11 games for him already
On pace for another 50 goal season

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2014, 09:19 AM
  #240
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
14 games 10 G 17 points

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2014, 09:47 PM
  #241
WannabeFinn
Mayor of Danglebus
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Honestly he's probably my favorite CBJ prospect. Hoping for big things from this kid.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2014, 02:22 AM
  #242
ulvvf
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Denmark will be fun to watch in this WJC, overall I think it is interesting to see so many good players coming up from denmark.

Do you think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand will play in the same line?

ulvvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2014, 02:25 AM
  #243
WannabeFinn
Mayor of Danglebus
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulvvf View Post
Denmark will be fun to watch in this WJC, overall I think it is interesting to see so many good players coming up from denmark.

Do you think Ehlers and Bjorkstrand will play in the same line?
Probably on the PP, I bet they're on different lines during ES to spread the scoring ability.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2014, 04:47 AM
  #244
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
I still think he's a boon/bust player, but that Boom should be a 30 G 60 P player

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2014, 06:08 AM
  #245
WannabeFinn
Mayor of Danglebus
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFTHLINER View Post
I still think he's a boon/bust player, but that Boom should be a 30 G 60 P player
Well, yeah.. he doesn't have the size for playing a bottom 6 role and probably never will. So he's either gotta prove he can contribute enough offensively to deserve a top 6 role or he's not going to cut it in this league.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2014, 02:01 AM
  #246
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
In 22 games Bjorkstrand has 15 goals and 15 assists and is a +7

slightlystewpid420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2014, 02:14 AM
  #247
TheOllieC
Leadership
 
TheOllieC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,376
vCash: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
In 22 games Bjorkstrand has 15 goals and 15 assists and is a +7
He's been good. Hope he keeps it up.

TheOllieC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 03:43 AM
  #248
WannabeFinn
Mayor of Danglebus
 
WannabeFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Leads his team in goals (17), points (32), rating (+10), and shorthanded goals (3).

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 07:14 AM
  #249
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,399
vCash: 500
….Portland were 0-5 before he got back from Columbus. 13-7 since.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2014, 08:54 PM
  #250
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
….Portland were 0-5 before he got back from Columbus. 13-7 since.
I REALLY hope he and Milano can concert their game to the pro's, would be huge for the jackets system.

slightlystewpid420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.