vCash: 500
When is the bantam Draft ?

SNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
dumpitandchaseit

Manitoba POE camp

Anyone have any thoughts on the Manitoba top 100's camp this past weekend ? Standouts, surprises and disappointments?

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:17 PM
SNIPE
Wheaties #1

Found the answer, 2013 Bantam draft is May 2

Old
04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Vancouver is looking for the next Lucic or Gallagher, big draft year for the G-Men.
Nathan McCarnan. Also from the Vancouver Minor Hockey Association (same as Lucic) and he would be the first ever drafted player from that association who always loses players to NSWC and BWC.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpitandchaseit View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the Manitoba top 100's camp this past weekend ? Standouts, surprises and disappointments?
POE was good, tough to get handle on some of the out of town kids without names on their sweaters. D will be interesting, not sure who makes it but at the top 40 will be Thurlbeck, Bowey, Thorsteinson, Dudeck, Thornton, Krause, Kuklica, Lavoie and a few of the out of town kids on D

archie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Thedub

That Quennville from SSAC is a stud....

Thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Nathan McCarnan. Also from the Vancouver Minor Hockey Association (same as Lucic) and he would be the first ever drafted player from that association who always loses players to NSWC and BWC.
How do you compare a player from Tier 3 to players from Tier 1 ?

You have no idea how he will play against kids that are faster, stronger and more technical then him. 4th round maybe. But its a risk.
He played on a Spring team that made him look better then he actually was.

Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
That $1K would be for two rounds and then making the team. I am not positive if they pay after they make the team though.

BTW, we have about 3 feet of snow too. Trying to swing in the house.
The cost of the POE was $100 for 3 good skates, well worth the money... a new stick cost as much

Old
04-02-2013, 11:58 AM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals03 View Post
How do you compare a player from Tier 3 to players from Tier 1 ?

You have no idea how he will play against kids that are faster, stronger and more technical then him. 4th round maybe. But its a risk.
He played on a Spring team that made him look better then he actually was.
Has he grown much? Very big and strong as a 12 year old. it's a guessing game for the scouts as to where these kids end up in a few years in size and strength.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
dumpitandchaseit

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie20 View Post
The cost of the POE was $100 for 3 good skates, well worth the money... a new stick cost as much
I agree - $100 for the 3 skates and each player got a jersey and a pair of socks. Certainly seems more reasonable than the cost in BC

FYI - You CAN'T buy a stick nowadays for $100 - Hahahaha - try $200-$300 !!!!! Ouch !

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Has he grown much? Very big and strong as a 12 year old. it's a guessing game for the scouts as to where these kids end up in a few years in size and strength.
I doubt he will grow too much more, He grew very early, But has slowed down. For the draft you are investing that your pick will continue to grow a few more inches.
One way to tell ( look at the dress clothes as the players walk in before a game. If they fit ( they might be done) if they look small ( seeing the sox is a dead give away) then they are still growing. Its just one of the ways also look at the shoes are they brand new( or old) New means his feet are still growing)

Old
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
RetiredHockeyDad

Quote:
I doubt he will grow too much more, He grew very early, But has slowed down. For the draft you are investing that your pick will continue to grow a few more inches.
One way to tell ( look at the dress clothes as the players walk in before a game. If they fit ( they might be done) if they look small ( seeing the sox is a dead give away) then they are still growing. Its just one of the ways also look at the shoes are they brand new( or old) New means his feet are still growing)
I have to guess that most scouts will not show up to the rink 2 hours in advance to see the clothes a player is wearing to the rink. A scout will look at the size of the parents, stand at the glass and try to see if a player has facial hair/baby face, talk to coaches, etc. It is still somewhat of a guessing game.

RetiredHockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
SNIPE
Wheaties #1

Thats why when you are at the rink and a scout wants to meet you, find the tallest female in the arena and introduce her as your wife, sons will always be taller then their mother. haha

Old
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
northsider

alb cup

after alb cup try outs , who where the top guys

northsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
SNIPE
Wheaties #1

Quote:
POE was good, tough to get handle on some of the out of town kids without names on their sweaters. D will be interesting, not sure who makes it but at the top 40 will be Thurlbeck, Bowey, Thorsteinson, Dudeck, Thornton, Krause, Kuklica, Lavoie and a few of the out of town kids on D
IMO: 10 Rural that will be there are: Touchette, Howden, Vaeth (injured), Cross, Loewan, Goethals, Kaspick, Wall, Gula, Schioler (not sure if he is rural)

Old
04-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
after alb cup try outs , who where the top guys
So is it fair to say that for Alberta and BC, it will be the Edmonton Mercury vs the Vancouver Vipers. or at least 95% of the players.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Team Alberta zone tryouts only cost $125 and included two skill sessions and three games. Hockey Alberta classifies the camps as developmental and I think they were a good experience from what I saw at Northwest zone.

The official roster is a pretty good indication of who stood out. The surprise of the camp (for some anyway) was Brad Girard from the Slave Lake AA program. He never tried out for AAA, but made the Northwest team. He lead the ERBHL Bantam AA league in northern Alberta in scoring. He is a small, but fantastically skilled forward with great vision.

The real stand outs in my mind were:

F Ryan Cox - St Albert AAA
D Shael Higson - OHA AAA
D Joshua Mahura - St Albert AAA (was hurt and did not finish the camp)
D James Miller - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
D Carter Wolski - Grande Prairie AAA
F Sean Richards - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
G Joshua Dechaine - St Albert AAA

Players that did not make the team that I thought looked outstanding:

F John Tiede - Grande Prairie AAA
F Sean Nault - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
D Connor Deighton - St Albert AAA
F Carson McKenzie - Stony Plain AA
D Zachary Mytrunec - Whitecourt AA
F Zachary Nutall - St Albert AAA

AlbertaHockey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
AlbertaHockey20

AB Cup tryouts involve the eight zone teams playing in Strathmore starting April 12th. My early predictions for Team Alberta U16:

G - Stuart Skinner - Edmonton SSAC
G - Andrew Chapman - Airdrie

D Kale Clague - Lloydminister
D David Quennville - Edmonton SSAC
D Ryley McKinstry - Calgary Bisons
D Dalton Hamaliuk - Leduc
D Joshua Mahura - St Albert
D Carter Cziakowski - Calgary Flames (may opt for a bigger, tougher shut down D will all the offense on the top three which I probably would with Colin Paradis or James Miller who showed they could contain Benson this year)

F Tyler Benson - Edmonton SSAC
F Sam Steel - Sherwood Park
F Parker Aucoin - Calgary Northstar Sabres
F Matthew Phillips - Calgary Bisons
F Nolan Volcan - Edmonton MLAC
F Tyler Steenbergen - Red Deer White
F Mason Shaw - Lloydminister
F Cole Johnson - Lloydminister
F Tyson Jost - POE (Leduc)
F Jaeger White - BWC (Medicine Hat)
F Alex Rotundo - Edmonton KC
F Kody McDonald - POE (Lethbridge)

I think they can keep a high skill team because of the size a physicality of the D and some of the top forwards like Benson, Johnson, and McDonald, but they might opt for more size up front.

Honorable mention:
F Michael Clarke, Jordan McConnell, Noah Gregor, Ryan Jevne, Michael Doneff, Jeffrey DeWitt
D Shael Higson, James Miller, Jared Freadrich, TJ Brown, Tash Bowles, Tanner Miller, Colin Paradis

Alberta is very, very deep this year. It became much harder when I remembered McDonald, White and Jost coming back from BC. I had to convince myself of some of these. This team will really come down to the end of the tryout. I have no idea about the goalies; this tournament will reveal a lot about who the best really is.

Last edited by AlbertaHockey20: 04-03-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
1. Vancouver Giants - Benson (Franchise forward... definitely worth the pick... have not had a player like him since Brule...)
2. Regina Pats - Clague (I think Pats will end up taking the risk... can transform the team)
3. Prince George Cougars - Patrick (I think they will scoop Brandon)
4. Brandon Wheat Kings - Steel (Really think this would be a nice fit... extremely gifted forward to lead the offense like the days of Glennie-Schenn)
5. Moose Jaw Warriors - Howden (Yeah no brainer)
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Quenneville (They're pretty much set up front... have some promising big kids on the blueline... I don't believe Erkamps is a premier WHL puck mover... will need one to feed Estephan and the other forwards)
7. Everett Silvertips - Fabbro (Don't have any franchise potential defensemen... if they are going to rebuild start from the backend)
8. Seattle Thunderbirds - Jost (Older forward group... TBirds could use a potential star talent)
9. Kootenay Ice - Kaelen Anderson (A good kid who can shoulder the load both on and off the ice the next few years)
10. Medicine Hat Tigers - White (They will pretty much have to if he is on the board at 10... incredible natural ability but you wonder about the rest of it)
11. Victoria Royals - Hannoun (Remember Chilliwack... this kid may be short in stature right now but he can carry a team... Royals need that)
12. Swift Current Broncos - Malenstyn (Can give the Broncos a bit of everything up front... have some nice young pieces and Malenstyn would fit their scouting philosophy...)
13. Prince Albert Raiders - Aucoin (Could have the highest potential of any kid not named Benson or Clague... definitely a bit one dimensional but what a dimension...)
14. Red Deer Rebels - Steenbergen (Hometown boy... good two way player... think he could be a team building block both as a player and a person)
15. Tri-City Americans - Kryski (Extremely talented... Americans typically build their game plan around dynamic players like this)
16. Spokane Chiefs - Barberis (Think he can be a solid cornerstone...
good skater and hits well... has a bit of everything for a blueline that will need that soon)
17. Brandon Wheat Kings via Saskatoon Blades - Jevne (One of the underrated kids in this class in my opinion... Wheaties love their power forwards... could be a top liner in the Dub)
18. Calgary Hitmen - Phillips (Hometown boy, fifth in MVP voting... gives complete efforts every night... good skill package)
19. Kamloops Blazers - Skinner (Might be a bit high but the Blazers have crap all for goaltending in the pipeline... really wild upside... I think history would look favorably back on this pick if this is what Kamloops did)
20. Vancouver Giants via Edmonton Oil Kings - Volcan (If the Giants are going Benson first they should find him a conscientious partner for the future... love Volcan and he is a worker)
21. Kelowna Rockets - Josh Anderson (The Rockets are great at molding future D... Anderson has a ton of tools to work with)
22. Seattle Thunderbirds via Portland Winterhawks - Thiessen (Has the leadership traits and wide array of skills to contribute in a bunch of ways even if he cannot translate his offense)
I'm surprised to see no Saskatchewan players on there. I believe Kaden Elder, at the very least, will go somewhere in the top 15. His leadership potential combined with his play will have teams knocking on his door. Also, Kaelen Anderson anywhere in the first three rounds is stretch, let alone the top ten is such a top heavy draft. Any other reason you have him that high?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Garrett Pilon any good or is he just a product of his last name?
~1 year later

Garrett Pilon any good or is he just a product of his last name? Projection for the draft?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
Team Alberta zone tryouts only cost $125 and included two skill sessions and three games. Hockey Alberta classifies the camps as developmental and I think they were a good experience from what I saw at Northwest zone.

The official roster is a pretty good indication of who stood out. The surprise of the camp (for some anyway) was Brad Girard from the Slave Lake AA program. He never tried out for AAA, but made the Northwest team. He lead the ERBHL Bantam AA league in northern Alberta in scoring. He is a small, but fantastically skilled forward with great vision.

The real stand outs in my mind were:

F Ryan Cox - St Albert AAA
D Shael Higson - OHA AAA
D Joshua Mahura - St Albert AAA (was hurt and did not finish the camp)
D James Miller - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
D Carter Wolski - Grande Prairie AAA
F Sean Richards - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
G Joshua Dechaine - St Albert AAA

Players that did not make the team that I thought looked outstanding:

F John Tiede - Grande Prairie AAA
F Sean Nault - PAC Spruce Grove AAA
D Connor Deighton - St Albert AAA
F Carson McKenzie - Stony Plain AA
D Zachary Mytrunec - Whitecourt AA
F Zachary Nutall - St Albert AAA

How did Zach Bendall look? Your right this is looking like an extremely good group from Alberta the best I can remember.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Pretty good. He deservedly made the team. He showed some physicality and good speed. His size is a needed addition to a generally small, although tough, forward group. I'd probably have him as the 9th forward on the team, but I had Nault ahead of him as well.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
MBScout

Quote:
So is it fair to say that for Alberta and BC, it will be the Edmonton Mercury vs the Vancouver Vipers. or at least 95% of the players.
I doubt 95%, but perhaps as high as 75%. There will be some kids from Calgary making Team AB and some new players making Team BC. The numbers may be similar for Jr. Steelers/Team MB and Jr.Blades/Team SK. Should be some great competitive hockey to watch. I believe the rosters are slightly bigger than a typical spring team and this should make room for some new kids as well.

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:02 AM
SNIPE
Wheaties #1

sorry Mb scout, but what are you guys talking about in regards to team mb and sask

Old
04-06-2013, 08:44 AM
jetsfan1224
Rookie User

What they are saying is that Team Manitoba will be comprised of most of the kids that played on the Jr Steelers. It won't be all the Steelers but well over half. Same for Sask!

jetsfan1224 is offline   Reply With Quote