HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part V

View Poll Results: Choose your Destiny
Claude Julien 29 28.16%
Alain Vigneault 74 71.84%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Totally agree. I'm completely baffled, perplexed, dumbfounded and confused as to why there's so much love for Brisbois on this board. The guys a LAWYER, specialized in contracts and he's supposed to be the rock and savior of our organization!? That's the BEST guy out there?! **** me.
So is Peter Chiarelli.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Totally agree. I'm completely baffled, perplexed, dumbfounded and confused as to why there's so much love for Brisbois on this board. The guys a LAWYER, specialized in contracts and he's supposed to be the rock and savior of our organization!? That's the BEST guy out there?! **** me.
Beyond the profession, there's intelligence and hockey smarts. Unless you know BriseBois personally and you have had the opportunity to interview him for the job, allow me to doubt your credentials on the matter. Claiming that he's no good because he's a lawyer specializing in contracts doesn't make him unqualified. At least not in my opinion.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:56 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
So is Peter Chiarelli.
He is a lawyer but he was also a player agent and had been an executive for 7 years before he became a GM. Brisbois has nowhere near the same amount of experience that Chiarelli had before getting his chance.

I never said he couldn't do a good job now or someday. He's just way to green to take the reigns of the hockey hotbed of Montreal and there are far better and more experienced candidates out there who are far more qualified than Brisebois. If his name was Jimmy Breakwood, no way he'd get a fraction of the love he's getting on this board.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Zednik

Patrick Roy's season is officially over. Remparts were leading the series 3-0 but they lost in 7.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:08 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik View Post
Patrick Roy's season is officially over. Remparts were leading the series 3-0 but they lost in 7.
yep

Moose win it in OT

Old
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Protest the Hero

Muller was talking about Paul Fenton on CBC tonight, had good things to say no surprise, said he had a good relationship with him during his time in Milwaukee.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Et le But

So much for Roy the master motivator. Halifax wanted it more.

Quote:
He is a lawyer but he was also a player agent and had been an executive for 7 years before he became a GM. Brisbois has nowhere near the same amount of experience that Chiarelli had before getting his chance.

I never said he couldn't do a good job now or someday. He's just way to green to take the reigns of the hockey hotbed of Montreal and there are far better and more experienced candidates out there who are far more qualified than Brisebois. If his name was Jimmy Breakwood, no way he'd get a fraction of the love he's getting on this board.
This is fair, and it's one reason Brisebois isn't my first choice on paper. But being a lawyer who never played pro hockey doesn't disqualify him, for me the modern GM's job is as much about business decisions and picking the right guys to work with as it is understanding hockey.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:16 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
So much for Roy the master motivator. Halifax wanted it more.

This is fair, and it's one reason Brisebois isn't my first choice on paper. But being a lawyer who never played pro hockey doesn't disqualify him, for me the modern GM's job is as much about business decisions and picking the right guys to work with as it is understanding hockey.
True dat, but I think we can all agree that Montreal isn't Tampa or Carolina. The media, fans etc add a tonne more pressure than the regular GM role calls for. To deal with all the other bs that comes with being the GM of the Habs I think some experience is a must for the position. There are candidates who have all these criteria so an obsession with Brisebois is confounding to me.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
So much for Roy the master motivator.
I say we hire a coach that never lost, like we did with Mario Tremblay and Carbonneau!!!

You can say what you want about Roy but he have an insane record with the remparts, including in playoffs.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
If his name was Jimmy Breakwood, no way he'd get a fraction of the love he's getting on this board.
If his name was Jimmy Breakwood , he'd get your love .

Old
04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
True dat, but I think we can all agree that Montreal isn't Tampa or Carolina. The media, fans etc add a tonne more pressure than the regular GM role calls for. To deal with all the other bs that comes with being the GM of the Habs I think some experience is a must for the position. There are candidates who have all these criteria so an obsession with Brisebois is confounding to me.
Like who?

Old
04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Beyond the profession, there's intelligence and hockey smarts. Unless you know BriseBois personally and you have had the opportunity to interview him for the job, allow me to doubt your credentials on the matter. Claiming that he's no good because he's a lawyer specializing in contracts doesn't make him unqualified. At least not in my opinion.
Are you claiming otherwise?

Old
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
thom

patrick roy

I have no serious issue with Roy but I will say during his time he has never led a team to the qmjhl title.Yes he did win a memorial cup but that was during tournament play.Esposito seems to be a bust and now the the russian he coaches has played poorly in playoffs it could be because he is only 17 or it could be Roy's mentoring style I don't know.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Vigneault is fired I'm not convinced he would make the Habs his first choice,

Old
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
MarkovsKnee

We can scratch Bob Hartley as a coaching candidate. MAG's reporting that he thinks Hartley's going to Calgary and Brent Sutter to Edmonton.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
We can scratch Bob Hartley as a coaching candidate. MAG's reporting that he thinks Hartley's going to Calgary and Brent Sutter to Edmonton.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I have no serious issue with Roy but I will say during his time he has never led a team to the qmjhl title.Yes he did win a memorial cup but that was during tournament play.Esposito seems to be a bust and now the the russian he coaches has played poorly in playoffs it could be because he is only 17 or it could be Roy's mentoring style I don't know.
Although I don't want Roy as the next coach, I don't blame Roy for the collapse of his team. And i don't blame him for those two players not playing well.

What I blame him for is both with Esposito & Grigorenko he went public stating that the Habs should draft them. With Esposito we now know he was out to lunch. With Grigorenko we know the kid hasn't put it all together. He may in the future but can we afford to take the chance when there are other players who have shown they have ther A game already. Grant McKreg just posted a commentary on Grigorenkin in the 2012 draft thread. Interesting comments.

So the great Roy demonstrates that he's not such a great judge of player talent yet he wants a say in player selection if he's given the coaching job. This is one of many reasons why I think Roy will be a disaster on the same level as Gainey, gauthier & Houle.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
deandebean

Apparently, Roy refused to shake hands with Halifax after the game. If true, not cool.

Oh, and I guess Timmins and co weren't very impressed by Grigorenko. I had told you a long time ago: it's not normal to have a 16 year old make him look bad on the ice, like McKinnon did this year against the Quebec player.

No Grigorenko. Don't really know the others, but this guy is a fail waiting to happen. The kid showed no heart and grit.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Although I don't want Roy as the next coach, I don't blame Roy for the collapse of his team. And i don't blame him for those two players not playing well.

What I blame him for is both with Esposito & Grigorenko he went public stating that the Habs should draft them. With Esposito we now know he was out to lunch. With Grigorenko we know the kid hasn't put it all together. He may in the future but can we afford to take the chance when there are other players who have shown they have ther A game already. Grant McKreg just posted a commentary on Grigorenkin in the 2012 draft thread. Interesting comments.

So the great Roy demonstrates that he's not such a great judge of player talent yet he wants a say in player selection if he's given the coaching job. This is one of many reasons why I think Roy will be a disaster on the same level as Gainey, gauthier & Houle.
Well I think being outwitted and outworked in the Q playoffs every year means we can question Roy as a coach. He has probably the richest team in the Q and always has talent.

Not saying that means he's a bad coach, but much like Grigorenko himself, it's hard to say because he will be in a very different situation in the NHL.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Apparently, Roy refused to shake hands with Halifax after the game. If true, not cool.

Oh, and I guess Timmins and co weren't very impressed by Grigorenko. I had told you a long time ago: it's not normal to have a 16 year old make him look bad on the ice, like McKinnon did this year against the Quebec player.

No Grigorenko. Don't really know the others, but this guy is a fail waiting to happen. The kid showed no heart and grit.
McKinnon is an amazing star, he's not just a decent 16yo prospect. Bob McKenzie yesterday said it's likely that McKinnon would be taken ahead of Yakupov if he were eligible for this year's draft.

But I'm not necessarily defending Grigo. I'm more pumping up McKinnon, that kid is something else man. He will be a superstar in the NHL.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Schooner Guy

Roy and Grigorenko both knocked off with the same stone. Hopefully Habs stay away from both. Roy's a Junior coach. Habs need an NHL coach. Grigo plays like he's protecting a carton of eggs in his pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
I say we hire a coach that never lost, like we did with Mario Tremblay and Carbonneau!!!

You can say what you want about Roy but he have an insane record with the remparts, including in playoffs.
Millionaires often drive fancy and fast cars but it doesn't mean they're good drivers.

The Remparts should win more given the luxurious advantages they enjoy over their counterparts.

Last edited by Schooner Guy: 04-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 01:41 AM
OneSharpMarble

I can only guess how far Grigorenko will fall because of this. If Toronto takes him it will be an epic fail.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Geez, come on. If anything, it means he's pulling for his players and are behind them. If the question is asked, do you answer that they may not be the guys for us? Or play politician and don't answer the question? That's not Roy at all.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:46 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
If his name was Jimmy Breakwood , he'd get your love .
No he wouldn't, for the reasons I gave.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:49 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Like who?
Fenton, Benning, Bergevin to begin with. Even Hextall and Robitaille have more experience as does Pierre McGuire and another dozen existing assistant GMs and executives out there.

Closed Thread