HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part V

View Poll Results: Choose your Destiny
Claude Julien 29 28.16%
Alain Vigneault 74 71.84%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
Yeah you are right....he is only a Jack Adams winner ( and a finalist 2 other times). Oh he also won a Memorial Cup.

But he is terrible, terrible....so YOU say.

I am all for Vigneault as head coach.

Wilson? I would take him over most other candidates if available.

A Wilson-Vigneault tandem would be far more effective and stable than the Brisebois-Roy tandem would.
Until he gets fired, Vigneault is not a candidate.

But I do believe he will now after this year's debacle, hehehe. Unless they keep him for the start of the season and wait until he fails during the early stages of next season.

Wilson would be a competent GM, I'm just not sure he would want the job. I mean, he's in California. And if he get fired, he will get other offers.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Habitualwinner

Quote:
Yeah you are right....he is only a Jack Adams winner ( and a finalist 2 other times). Oh he also won a Memorial Cup.

A Wilson-Vigneault tandem would be far more effective and stable than the Brisebois-Roy tandem would.
Correction, A QMJHL championship, not Memorial Cup. Nonetheless a very balanced resume.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
TheBuriedHab

Yeah, ive been on the Doug Wilson bandwagon for a while now. Its obvious the sharks are in for a significant retool or even rebuild. I think Wilson has had enough there. He would be the best GM we have had in a long time. Hes shown he can build contenders in the New nhl. Definitely my first choice.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Habitualwinner

Quote:

Correction, A QMJHL championship, not Memorial Cup. Nonetheless a very balanced resume.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Never! Terrible coach, terrible, terrible coach.
1997-98 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 37 32 13 0 0.530
1998-99 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 32 39 11 0 0.457
1999-00 Montreal Canadiens NHL Head 82 35 34 9 4 0.506
2006-07 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 49 26 0 7 0.640
2007-08 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 39 33 0 10 0.537
2008-09 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 45 27 0 10 0.610
2009-10 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 49 28 0 5 0.628
2010-11 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 54 19 0 9 0.713
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks NHL Head 82 51 22 0 9 0.677

NHL Record = 391 - 257 - 33 - 54
Pretty impressive to me. How many coaches are available with that much NHL experience and 4 straight seasons with 45+ wins?

Old
04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:

What does "Stable" mean? More boring?

I'll give you more proven.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Habitualwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What does "Stable" mean? More boring?

I'll give you more proven.
Stable as in, they aren't going to go publicly berserk. Or, rip a door off its hinges. Or order their sons to go start a pointless fight.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:41 PM
TheBuriedHab

San jose's position in the west the past 5 years before this years 7th finish :2nd, 1st,1st,2nd,5th

When Molson talks about being the best year in year out isn't this a good track record?

Old
04-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Two things, If Doug Wilson stays with the Sharks for the time being, he won't leave unless he is offered a big position in another org and that would take quite backroon dealings to get him. If he is fired then, he is free but at the same time it could fall into the Habs' laps and not the way you think: the team would have the luxury to put their favorite son, Patrick Roy as GM and bring in someone like Wilson as assistant GM for his expertise in that position. Oh sure Doug could be GM anywhere, but there's no way to know if there's gonna be a GM slot needing to be filled soon. That would be ideal in my opinion.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Wilson would be a competent GM, I'm just not sure he would want the job. I mean, he's in California. And if he get fired, he will get other offers.
Yeah, but Northern California. And San Jose at that.

Someone give him a call.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Stable as in, they aren't going to go publicly berserk. Or, rip a door off its hinges. Or order their sons to go start a pointless fight.
Habs have been boring far too long. People have this fear of guys with passion and emotion. It's time to strike back and take the World by the storm.

We need that Rocket Richard spirit back.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You are hilarious. You acuse others of being out of touch and yet you are the one making strange defensive statements regarding BriseBois. It isn't the first time I've seen you pushing this guy and defending him...But hey, I'm sure he was begging Gainey not to trade for Gomez, and Gainey just ignored him right?
I'm not making statements, I'm raising possibilities. You are the one saying that you wouldn't want BriseBois because he was one of the culprits who traded for Gomez. The questions that I'm raising are that he may or may not be to blame for it.

So bottom line, you're basing your judgment on not wanting him based on suppositions. I'm simply not making a judgment on him as we don't know the truth behind it.

Makes sense?

Old
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Two things, If Doug Wilson stays with the Sharks for the time being, he won't leave unless he is offered a big position in another org and that would take quite backroon dealings to get him. If he is fired then, he is free but at the same time it could fall into the Habs' laps and not the way you think: the team would have the luxury to put their favorite son, Patrick Roy as GM and bring in someone like Wilson as assistant GM for his expertise in that position. Oh sure Doug could be GM anywhere, but there's no way to know if there's gonna be a GM slot needing to be filled soon. That would be ideal in my opinion.
Why would a veteran, proven GM with a great track record be the Assistant GM to a guy with no experience at the NHL level. Would make more sense for Wilson to be GM and Roy to be the assistant

Old
04-22-2012, 11:29 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
Yeah, but Northern California. And San Jose at that.

Someone give him a call.
You act like the Bay Area is some **** hole or something...

Old
04-22-2012, 11:32 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Yeah, ive been on the Doug Wilson bandwagon for a while now. Its obvious the sharks are in for a significant retool or even rebuild. I think Wilson has had enough there. He would be the best GM we have had in a long time. Hes shown he can build contenders in the New nhl. Definitely my first choice.
I would have no problem with that choice at all.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Vigneault hasn't been fired yet. So it's only speculation. Right now, as I write, Roy is a valid candidate.
Pretty sure I said he was a valid candidate and should be interviewed. My belief is that he'd be horrible for the job and I hope he doesn't get the job. But yes, he should be intereviewed at least.
Quote:
Until he gets fired, Vigneault is not a candidate.

But I do believe he will now after this year's debacle, hehehe. Unless they keep him for the start of the season and wait until he fails during the early stages of next season.

You never want to hope for somebody to get fired but uh... I hope Vigneault gets fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Never! Terrible coach, terrible, terrible coach.
Why do you say this?
Quote:
Habs have been boring far too long. People have this fear of guys with passion and emotion. It's time to strike back and take the World by the storm.

If you want Rocket Richard spirit back then draft skilled players who play hard. The coach isn't the one going out into the corners and the coach isn't going to turn Scott Gomez into somebody who's fired up and will do anything to win. That's a roster issue not a coaching one.

Rocket Richard btw, was a terrible coach. Guy you'd LOVE to have as a player but those kinds of guys don't necessarily make good coaches.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:05 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:

bang on

Old
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
FinnHab

I have mixed feelings about Vigneaults possible return to coach Habs. Yes, he visited cup finals with very good team. But also so did Therrien with stacked Penguins. I honestly believe we need something new and fresh blood for coaching and GM positions.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
I have mixed feelings about Vigneaults possible return to coach Habs. Yes, he visited cup finals with very good team. But also so did Therrien with stacked Penguins. I honestly believe we need something new and fresh blood for coaching and GM positions.
Adding AV may as well be fresh. The only player he coached here was a very young Andrei Markov.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Jack Adams winner and 2 time finalist? Sounds like the coach we just fired.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:41 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

My arguments against Vigneault are simple:

1. His initial gameplan is flawed. I understand playing to your players' strengths and all (e.g. Sedins have a telepathic bond) but you cannot run a hockey club expecting every player to be firing at full-speed. There is no generic system or shape, Vigneault expects all his players are 100% fit and on-form - a step ahead when chasing the puck, a step ahead when pinching, a step ahead when closing down.

How they actually get the puck and what they do with the puck is in god's hands as far as Vigneault is concerned.

What happens when a player is injured, or when your d-men aren't completely game-ready? You score 8 goals in 5 games.

Compare this with Jacques Martin: On a team with no superstar talent he relied on a structure that generated breakouts. And whenever the structure was neutralized (against the Bruins this season, that 0-1 game especially) he did not sacrifice his own blue-line. The Canucks chase the pucks like headless chickens.

2. With the puck in the o-zone his teams get to the faceoff dot and backpass to the point completely neutralizing any odd-man exploit and leaving the neutral zone at the mercy of the d-man's pinch.

Watching two teams I hate (LAK, BOS) exploit this is infuriating. All it does is lead to Lu/Sch have to face an odd-man rush. Otherwise it's a ****** floater from the point disguised as "awesome puck possession". They're not the Blues, Detroit or Chicago, they don't have crisp passes through the seams that split the defense - they just shoot it looking for a rebound and think that that Kesler's great at scoring "gritty" goals.

STOP PASSING IT TO THE POINT, THIS ISNT A PP AND YOUR DMEN ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Compare this with Babcock: They get the puck and leisurely enter the zone with 3 players posted at the blue line, the players all know where they're headed - it's almost like a football play - and the puck carrier gets very little pressure because he has at least two options opening up and his marker doesn't wanna mess up. Pass-pass-pass puck possession. It's elegant, and practiced and doesn't rely on a pair of twins - just dedication. I'm not saying it's easy or simple but it's what puck possession is supposed to be. Not a frantic race down the boards, a half-stop and a blind drop-pass to the d-man pinching.

3. His team, as much as I hate to use the word, has a reputation. I think Lapierre's a great, underrated hockey player and any team is more than lucky to have him but a team with Burrows, Lapierre, Kesler and Bieksa (not to mention whatever other bottom6ers they have) develops a reputation because the coach doesn't, or can't, tighten the leash properly.

Just the other day Vigneault said that he's "told Lapierre to shut up and play". You don't say that during the god-damned playoffs you moron, it only intensifies the criticism on your team.

Compare this with Jacques Martin: Didn't say a single definitive negative statement about any of his players, not that we had as much drama as the Canucks but even with Subban all JM would say was that he's a young player growing up. Nothing you can pin on Subban or the team.

4. Goalie controversy. In Montreal it started because it had to, Halak was too good and Price was too green. In Vancouver it's like their go-to move to deflect attention off their flawed gameplan. You don't play your backup if your starter is doing a good job. Especially not to mask the fact that you have no understanding of how to reverse your fortunes.

It's not like Darryl Sutter is some kind of coaching genius. He's a very meat-and-potatoes kind of coach. He just exploited the Canucks with a few simple moves: trap a bit deep, rush the d-man who gets the puck, enjoy dominating their gameplan.

Compare this with Ken Hitchcock: Completely smothered any media goalie controversy and smothered the Sharks' also flawed game plan.

Alain Vigneault is a bad choice and shouldn't be interviewed. You want a guy who'll instill discipline and order in both the d-zone and the o-zone. Jacques Martin was flawed because he refused to adapt to the increasing disarray in his own offensive tactics but his d-plans were still top-notch.

God damn, I want Mike Babcock here. Vigneault should not even be considered. What a joke.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
They are the one making this whole enterprise viable in the first place?

I am sorry to teach you this, but without them, there ain't a hockey team.
Sorry muppet. We fans had NO say in coaching and manager choices in the 70's, and we were just fine. We enjoyed being fans of the Habs, and left the big decisions up to them.

Incredible arrogance and stupidity thinking you should have a say in who the coach and GM of the Montreal Canadiens should be.

You are confusing opinions with rights. By all means have an opinion, but you have no rights. The team is a private organization that you can choose to support or not. You are not a voter, this is not government.

Shall we go up to the Montreal General and tell them who their head surgeon should be too?

You show no knowledge of this team's history.

And you show lack of trust in the organization.

Muppet selfish generation, ridiculous, you are so ridiculous. All of you who think you 'have a say'. Know your place and get on with YOUR job.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:35 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well nobody seems to think that he's that perfect human being. Yet, a guy who is that much under the microscope, chances are you'll be able to find more "problems" with him than any other candidate. But then it's called grasping at straws when the proof that his photo is on the electronic board, shows he has not changed. Do we know if he insisted in having it? Was it his idea? But then you'll say that since he is the god in Quebec, he'd have it remove....well maybe he doesn't care and don't think it matters. I'm also pretty sure that he thinks that he can take of the attention while it retracts its players from getting it and that's a trait he could brings with him in the NHL and I'm pretty sure his players would love him for that. So if it's ego-centric behavior exists so it puts the attention on him and not on the players, yet a guy with that supposed ego is also a guy who hates losing, chances are he'll do what it takes to build a winning team.

But then, how about that ability of building a winning team and his coaching abilities you're saying? Well, if you put Quebec in a NHL level, in this cap era, well as far as I'm concerned, we are the Habs, one of the richest team that can build a team to the maximum contrary to a lot of other teams. So it's not like we are the Rangers post-cap era....but we are not the worst either and money doesn't seem to be an object. But then.....who in this year's team can you say that was bought by Roy this year? And wouldn't you agree that Quebec was not a favorite to do anything this year? I know he's not a saint, but he is pretty much knowledgeable....Leroux had Quebec 4th in their DIVISION. I know he also had Blainville 4th as well.....which is a proof that Houle made a terrific job in BB....but couldn't it be a proof that Roy did an okay job with a pretty good regular season? Yes, that 3-0 lead in the quarter finals will haunt him. Better coaches have went that past....a guy who just won a Cup in the NHL also had to live with that.

But the only way we'd know how good a coach he is is by asking his players. Do we know how they see him? See, we knew that Boucher was a good coach when we keep hearing by multitude of players that they started learning the game under him. Yet....does it mean he'll always get results? As we saw this year, no it doesn't.

But then, you are totally right to believe what you do if those 2 things are what you solely base yourself on. Which has to mean that a guy like Bob Hartley is at the top of your list. He won in Juniors, he won in the AHL, he won in the NHL, and now he even won in a Swiss league. Yep, winning 1 cup doesn't mean you are great....but winning in almost every freakin league you coached in, has to be sign. Somehow though, I see a lot of people here ridiculizing that choice. I guess they have different ways of analysing a candidacy. But Hartley doesn't demonstrate that he's ego-centric. And has pretty much shown that he can coach. But then he was unable to do something with Atlanta aside from his division championship....to which I say....who did?

Yet, what coaching ability has being shown is a pretty tough feat to proove especially when you are not on the inside.
WS you know I respect you and I also love Roy, but arguing that he will protect his players is reaching. He did not protect any Habs players when he walked out on that team. He let them down. I see no evidence that Roy will protect his players, and I think you should find better reasons for supporting him, such as passion.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Quote button is your friend, us it well.

I thought putting Gainey/Houle in charge was the ultimate recipe for disaster?

And, AGAIN, read: I am not saying that management should do whatever the fans want.

I am saying that management should, at the very least, consider the fan's wishes. And not appear like being entirely dismissive of them, like many of you posters currently doing.
Yes I am entirely dismissive of the fans. And I don't care if you are dismissive of me too. I'm JUST A FAN.

I love the Montreal Canadiens, not their fans.

WTF do you want? Does nothing please you? Try to just be a fan. I know it must be humiliating, but you'll get over it, if you develop other ways to get the attention you so obviously need.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
And here I thought it was established in pools among Habs fans that the majority (or at least a plurality) of them wanted Roy.

After a ****** season like that, and many very unpopular decisions that made management seem entirely out of touch with the fanbase, I say its a good idea to not perpetuate this tendency.
We have two parliaments if you like being in the majority. Go vote. You are confusing sport and private life with politics. Get un confused.

Closed Thread