HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Question about Howson's trade for Carter

Old
04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
DoggyII

vCash: 500
Question about Howson's trade for Carter

In AP's last chat, he said "Clearly they needed to do a better job vetting Jeff Carter before the trade. They were warned by Carter's camp that it could be messy, but there was tremendous pressure from within the Blue Jackets' organization to get the deal done."

Not being anywhere near Columbus this is the first I am hearing about this. Were the CBJ really warned prior to making the trade that Carter did not want to be in Columbus?

If this is true...I am speechless. Why would you ever trade for a guy who has told you he doesn't want to be here?

DoggyII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
EDM

Mike Priest, the idiot who masquerades as President of the Jackets, ordered Howson to make the trade in a fist pounding on the desk incident in Howson's office. Priest was very impressed with the data on the back of Carter's last hockey card.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Mike Priest, the idiot who masquerades as President of the Jackets, ordered Howson to make the trade in a fist pounding on the desk incident in Howson's office. Priest was very impressed with the data on the back of Carter's last hockey card.
Hey....Great Leader JMac said Mike Priest has nothing to do with what goes on on the ice!! surely Great Leader is never wrong!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:21 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Source? I have seen this posted more then once but do not remember this being credited to anyone.

04-13-2012, 08:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Source? I have seen this posted more then once but do not remember this being credited to anyone.
I've been told by two different people who would know that this is not true.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Were they the same people who told you Priest didn't hire Howson?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:43 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Were they the same people who told you Priest didn't hire Howson?
Nobody told me that.

Old
04-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
In AP's last chat, he said "Clearly they needed to do a better job vetting Jeff Carter before the trade. They were warned by Carter's camp that it could be messy, but there was tremendous pressure from within the Blue Jackets' organization to get the deal done."

Not being anywhere near Columbus this is the first I am hearing about this. Were the CBJ really warned prior to making the trade that Carter did not want to be in Columbus?

If this is true...I am speechless. Why would you ever trade for a guy who has told you he doesn't want to be here?
How can it be true? Jeff Carter was under contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. If any member of the Blue Jackets contacted his "camp" to find out if he was amicable to the trade, they committed tampering.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:33 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
How can it be true? Jeff Carter was under contract with the Philadelphia Flyers. If any member of the Blue Jackets contacted his "camp" to find out if he was amicable to the trade, they committed tampering.
My guess is that the Flyers would have given permission to talk to him (them)?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:35 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Unless those two were Howson & Priest I'm not sure you can be 100% sure they are right. I didn't see it happen either.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

salt in the wound, but....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--ph...F8Yl.42R17vLYF

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
My guess is that the Flyers would have given permission to talk to him (them)?
But if Carter was truly blindsided by this trade, then no communication could have happened.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Ha. I felt like I was kicked in the gut a couple times last night. Jake looked good and the rookie with the hat trick. But what's done is done, eh?

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Ha. I felt like I was kicked in the gut a couple times last night. Jake looked good and the rookie with the hat trick. But what's done is done, eh?

Just look at like

Jake and the first and third for JJ and the first...

.. Looks like a good trade to me with final judgement yet to be made.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
I just died a little, inside.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post

I don't know what Portzline meant by that comment. I don't believe he meant the Jackets had contact with Carter or his agent about a trade in advance. There are numerous articles stating Holmgren assured Carter he was not on the block, then traded him.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Eh.

Seen a lot of rookies come and go without developing further. I'm inclined to wait more than one regular season and two playoff games before tearing my hair out.

Here's a partial list of players since 1990 who did exactly that:
Mike Comrie, Pat Falloon, Vitali Yachmenev, Niklas Sundstrom, Alexandre Daigle, Patrick Poulin, Yves Racine, Janne Niinimaa, Stephane Morin, Rob Pearson, Denis Pederson, Stanislav Chistov, Todd Harvey, Mike Craig, David Tanabe, Jiri Slegr, Oleg Kvasha.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 04-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:49 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

As far as any talk about the Jackets having any advance contact with Carter or his agent, here's a direct quote from his agent:

“Paul assured me that there was nothing to worry about, that they weren’t interested in trading Jeff. He told me that Jeff could come in and meet with him to tell him the same things. And he did. He assured him that they weren’t trading him.”

Rumored or not, you can imagine Carter’s shock when he heard about the trade..."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...#ixzz1s3dribym

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Just look at like

Jake and the first and third for JJ and the first...

.. Looks like a good trade to me with final judgement yet to be made.
I would have made that trade. I wouldn't have made the Jake/1st for Carter trade.

But you only get credit for being a good trader if what you get in return: 1.) makes the team better and MOST IMPORTANTLY 2.) all the pieces acquired fit together so the sum is greater than the parts.

Under that criteria, Carter was a horrible trade. Johnson was a great trade. 1-1

Old
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Ownership thru "their man Priest" has every right to tell the GM to get a player of Carter's caliber. It's just too bad JC acted like a jerk instead of a professional. Same for the Flyers who weren't honest to JC.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Ownership thru "their man Priest" has every right to tell the GM to get a player of Carter's caliber. It's just too bad JC acted like a jerk instead of a professional. Same for the Flyers who weren't honest to JC.
Carter had no choice, the error was (IMO) Priest forcing Howson to make an out of character trade before adequate vetting. Carter is doing fine in LA right now, in the end not only has he become the winner but smart in doing whatever required to be traded a second time.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
section 204

Quote:
Carter had no choice, the error was (IMO) Priest forcing Howson to make an out of character trade before adequate vetting. Carter is doing fine in LA right now, in the end not only has he become the winner but smart in doing whatever required to be traded a second time.
Wasn't there a lot of talk at the time of the trade that Howson and Holmgren had been talking about it as far back as the preceding trade deadline? Does this jive with Priest ordering Howson to make a move that Howson was uncomfortable with and not giving him time to do the requisite background work?

Here's one story that references that dialogue.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Yes. There is no way to sugar coat Priest's involvement in this deal, if what we were told was true.

Its great that we have Jack Johnson, who, by all accounts is exactly the type of character player the CBJ need, but the failed Carter move coupled with the organizations' line about retooling to compete immediately next year and we still need to pull a proven skilled center from somewhere this offseason....

Going into next season with expectations that Brassard will step up and stay at the top of the depth chart?? Scary. Looking at our center depth right now scares the heck out of me if the goal is seriously compete next season....

The need to find a skilled center is probably greater this offseason than it was last if the organization truly wants to seriously compete instead of just talking about it.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
Wasn't there a lot of talk at the time of the trade that Howson and Holmgren had been talking about it as far back as the preceding trade deadline? Does this jive with Priest ordering Howson to make a move that Howson was uncomfortable with and not giving him time to do the requisite background work?

Here's one story that references that dialogue.
I don't know, that blog was focused on Johansen not Carter... Perhaps Howson should have done some research and not traded for Carter if he found out Carter hated Columbus regardless of the situation! As for Priest I said IMO so don't turn that opinion into a fact.

Tip for Scott Howson: ask someone how players may react to being traded to Columbus prior to making the trade.

Last edited by Robert: 04-15-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
section 204

Quote:
I don't know, that blog was focused on Johansen not Carter... Perhaps Howson should have done some research and not traded for Carter if he found out Carter hated Columbus regardless of the situation! As for Priest I said IMO so don't turn that opinion into a fact.

Tip for Scott Howson: ask someone how players may react to being traded to Columbus prior to making the trade.
Fair enough, but if Howson was talking trade with Philly all the way back in January that turned into a deal in June... then Howson was the principal player and you're right that he should have asked someone about Carter's likely response.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote