HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clearing our zone

Old
04-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Clearing our zone

The past two games against Ottawa I think we've all noticed an inability to effectively clear the puck from our zone when we are hemmed in. Our players' "go-to strategy" seems to be to throw the puck up the weak-side boards right into the hands of the opposing team's defenseman, which in turn results in the opposing team starting their cycle all over again and usually getting a decent look at Hank.

What do we need to change? What does Ottawa do differently to break out of their zone?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
The past two games against Ottawa I think we've all noticed an inability to effectively clear the puck from our zone when we are hemmed in. Our players' "go-to strategy" seems to be to throw the puck up the weak-side boards right into the hands of the opposing team's defenseman, which in turn results in the opposing team starting their cycle all over again and usually getting a decent look at Hank.

What do we need to change? What does Ottawa do differently to break out of their zone?
Been going on all season. They repeatedly flub chances to clear and it's always when the opposing team is putting on its best pressure. Their ineptitude on clearing attempts, and faceoffs has cost them all season long, and it's costing them in the playoffs. Don't expect them to change either, because it would appear they are unable to.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Things I cannot stand:

Icings
Throwing the puck blindly around the boards
Stretch passes which ALWAYS get intercepted.
Stretch pass tip-ins.

Solution: settle down, make quick decisions with short passes. Gaborik is the only one who can do it on a semi regular basis. G and McD consistently throw the puck around the boards without looking. That is a GIVEAWAY. Plain and simple:that's the solution.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:03 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
We tend to just chop the puck out (usually resulting in an icing). Hopefully they decide it's time to practice breakouts and tape to tape passes.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:06 AM
OverTheCap

Yeah, this has been an issue all season.

It also doesn't help that most of our defensemen have little stickhandling ability and lack the confidence to carry the puck up the ice themselves. This is something that Staal used to be able to do but he hasn't done it a lot this season as a result of him not being 100%.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:08 AM
trilobyte

Cannot really speak for last game but Ottawa forechecked fairly well tonight. I figured they would, and they did.
That ties right into what you mention. They give the puck over to a Senator numerous times in the defensive zone, sometimes to the defenseman up at the point waiting for the clearing attempt, and sometimes it just got intercepted down in the corner.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:39 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Here's a solution. Learn to possess the puck so it's not in our own damn zone for 60% of the game.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:23 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Eh, this has been going on long before this season. I've been a fan since the late 80s.

If I had nickel for every time this team failed to clear the zone, the recession would be over.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Calad
Section 422

They fell into a defensive shell the last 10 minutes of the game, they stopped trying to forecheck and put pressure on and didn't even attempt to carry the puck out of the zone. Instead of trying to just clear the zone they should take care of the puck more.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:33 AM
ck20

Everyone feels the need to just fling the puck around the boards or cross ice instead of either carrying the puck themselves or calming the play down properly (if possible). Anytime they get pressured, they just chuck it away immediately (and sometimes pretty haphazardly) and we fall in to our dump-and-chase routine. Once that starts, we're no longer able to establish a forecheck because by that point, everyone will have forgotten how to play hockey, pass up to the attacking blueline, and dump/chip it in. They have to learn to be more selfish or just keep getting these butterflies out..but whatever they do, they better iron it out ASAP.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

My biggest problem is the lack of puck support, and this scenario happening way too often:

1. We're stuck in our zone being pressured for 20-30 seconds

2. Then, the puck goes to an area where it's obvious a Rangers player is going to get to it first

3. Instead of reading and reacting, instead of MOVING THEIR FEET to get open to give the puck-carrier an option, the four other Rangers stand still and watch as McDonagh or Girardi get to the loose puck with time and space...

4. But without an option to pass the puck to anyone in stride, they're forced to either a) chip it out softly to the neutral zone, resulting in Ottawa coming right back in and pressuring a now-tired line, b) ice the puck, or c) try to force a pass to one of the STATIONARY Rangers which only shifts the issue of having NO PUCK SUPPORT, NO PASSING OPTION TO A GUY WHO'S ACTUALLY MOVING

IT'S ONE THING TO CHEAT AND FLEE THE ZONE EARLY. IT'S ANOTHER THING ENTIRELY TO NOT MOVE TO THE OPEN SPOT TO SUPPORT THE PUCK CARRIER AND GIVE THEM A LEGITIMATE PASSING OPTION.

It's sickening to watch this continue to happen.

It's the same thing in the neutral zone. We're so uncoordinated at times. Gaborik and Richards standing still at the Ottawa blue line while Del Zotto wheels back in his own zone and looks to make a long pass up the wall. Hagelin and Callahan are often the only guys supporting the puck carrier while skating.

How many times are we going to have a defenseman blast the puck across two lines to a STATIONARY winger who then has no option once he gets the puck before we realize that passing to a guy with NO SPEED is the same as turning the puck over, because two seconds later, Ottawa has it and is transitioning the other way with speed, while the same STATIONARY Rangers are now flatfooted behind the play.

It's Kreider time. Need to change the momentum of this series before its too late. Ottawa has nullified home-ice advantage and has two games in their barn with a ton of newly found confidence.

Also, earth to Lundqvist. It's the playoffs. You've been great, but we need you to be Lundqvist.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Blueshirt Believer

This went on during the playoff series with Washington last year.

This isn't so much a player issue as it is a coaching one. Sullivan loves for the Dmen to chip the puck to the neutral zone and try to cause a turnover on the opposing team reentry.

Its stupid, completely ineffective. Our wings don't support the puck along the half wall at all. If your going to try to do quick clears, your wings have to be aggressive on the half walls forcing the play out of the zone.

We stack the slot too much. We have very little poise with the puck.

Its a problem that has happened for a LONG time now and its not going to be significantly fixed until the offseason(maybe).

This all pertains to us not implementing a puck possession game.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Blueshirt Believer

I forgot to add one of the biggest issues is that they panic with the puck even when they aren't being pressured.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
My biggest problem is the lack of puck support, and this scenario happening way too often:

1. We're stuck in our zone being pressured for 20-30 seconds

2. Then, the puck goes to an area where it's obvious a Rangers player is going to get to it first

3. Instead of reading and reacting, instead of MOVING THEIR FEET to get open to give the puck-carrier an option, the four other Rangers stand still and watch as McDonagh or Girardi get to the loose puck with time and space...

4. But without an option to pass the puck to anyone in stride, they're forced to either a) chip it out softly to the neutral zone, resulting in Ottawa coming right back in and pressuring a now-tired line, b) ice the puck, or c) try to force a pass to one of the STATIONARY Rangers which only shifts the issue of having NO PUCK SUPPORT, NO PASSING OPTION TO A GUY WHO'S ACTUALLY MOVING

IT'S ONE THING TO CHEAT AND FLEE THE ZONE EARLY. IT'S ANOTHER THING ENTIRELY TO NOT MOVE TO THE OPEN SPOT TO SUPPORT THE PUCK CARRIER AND GIVE THEM A LEGITIMATE PASSING OPTION.

It's sickening to watch this continue to happen.

It's the same thing in the neutral zone. We're so uncoordinated at times. Gaborik and Richards standing still at the Ottawa blue line while Del Zotto wheels back in his own zone and looks to make a long pass up the wall. Hagelin and Callahan are often the only guys supporting the puck carrier while skating.

How many times are we going to have a defenseman blast the puck across two lines to a STATIONARY winger who then has no option once he gets the puck before we realize that passing to a guy with NO SPEED is the same as turning the puck over, because two seconds later, Ottawa has it and is transitioning the other way with speed, while the same STATIONARY Rangers are now flatfooted behind the play.

It's Kreider time. Need to change the momentum of this series before its too late. Ottawa has nullified home-ice advantage and has two games in their barn with a ton of newly found confidence.

Also, earth to Lundqvist. It's the playoffs. You've been great, but we need you to be Lundqvist.
Totally true, our transition game under torts has always been terrible. At least with Renney we always moved up as a five man unit. Torts keeps his Dmen so far behind on the transition that we can't effectively move into the zone with momentum or get a decent dump in.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:12 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Did somebody really blame Hank, when 2 of the ****ing goals scored were because the rest of our team is ****ing brainless?

Ridiculous.. Absolutely unacceptable. Watch the ****ing game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:17 AM
comeatmebro

i had a sinking feeling in the third period we were going to lose even when we were still up 2-1. it was nauseating watching what seemed to be a 13 minute senators power play. it just looked like the rangers were getting abused in their own zone, its inevitable the sens score eventually. also, its kind of hard to score on the opposing team when u spend almost literally the entire period in their your own end....it was hard to watch, like other posters have said it really seems like the rangers lack that killer instinct at time to just put teams away...worried about this series, seems like an overwhelming match up for the rangers. they look overwhelmed, nervous, and disorganized, del zotto kicking the goal in, rangers falling all over hank, seems like they are mentally discombobulated

comeatmebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Did somebody really blame Hank, when 2 of the ****ing goals scored were because the rest of our team is ****ing brainless?

Ridiculous.. Absolutely unacceptable. Watch the ****ing game.
If you're referring to me,

Perhaps, learn how to read. I didn't blame Henrik at all. I said we need him to be better. He's capable of much better than he's been in the first two games.

Braden Holtby is going head to head with Thomas and the Bruins offense and has allowed 2 goals in 2 games.

Lundqvist could've stopped the second goal in game 1 and he should've stopped Neil's backhander in OT. That's the save we need Lundqvist to make. That's why he's the King. He simply needs to be better or were not going anywhere. He's supposed to steal a game when we're not at our best. When Lundqvist is on top of his game, those two goals don't go in.

He's certainly not the reason we lost. But if we're going to do any damage this year, he's going to need to be sharper. He's also left a lot more rebounds than he normally does. I'm confident he'll bounce back with a huge game on Monday, but its something worth mentioning.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Eh, this has been going on long before this season. I've been a fan since the late 80s.

If I had nickel for every time this team failed to clear the zone, the recession would be over.
I've been watching since the early 80's as well.

The problem does not happen on the road as much as it does at home.

I know most people here think I'm crazy for saying this, but part of the problem is the damn Garden ice.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
BrawlFan

It's just the style you guys play. When in doubt get it out, I dont like it but no one from opposing teams should like it.

Bottom line: you guys win the cup its the new style that everyone should play which is solid defensively. You dont win the cup its because you dont attack enough...very very Jersey Devil'esque

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

As others have alluded to- its been happening all season, not just these 2 playoff games. It also has been leading to goals all season.

When we pick up the puck in our defensive zone we don't look for a clean breakout. We usually just blindly shoot the puck up the boards. A lot of the the time our forwards miss the puck or the other team's d-men recognize this and steal the puck, leading to sustained pressure in our defensive zone. And I also agree that it is coaching.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Dangleberry

I'm amazed at the number of Rangers fans getting ready to jump off the ledge. We had the lead for most of the game and blew. That one goal off Del Zotto's skate was fluky. I was kinda glad to see Dubi fired up after getting the misconduct penalty, he's gonna come out as a beast on Monday.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
I'm amazed at the number of Rangers fans getting ready to jump off the ledge. We had the lead for most of the game and blew. That one goal off Del Zotto's skate was fluky. I was kinda glad to see Dubi fired up after getting the misconduct penalty, he's gonna come out as a beast on Monday.
Sens did NOT deserve to win this game. Two fluky goals.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Irregardless of what happens in this series, our transition/breakouts should have been better going into the playoffs.

Its a major fault that has been allowed to fester all season. Whether we win the series or not, this is something that should have been dealt with.

I have said before, Torts breakouts are still trapped in 2004.

Maybe it can said Torts doesn't have a puck carrier on this team that can skate end to end. But if the lack of a Marty St. Louis player is preventing Torts from getting the puck up ice cleanly. Well then, he isn't that good of a coach.

Even Renney knew how to move up ice as a five man unit out of our zone.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Irregardless of what happens in this series, our transition/breakouts should have been better going into the playoffs.

Its a major fault that has been allowed to fester all season. Whether we win the series or not, this is something that should have been dealt with.

I have said before, Torts breakouts are still trapped in 2004.

Maybe it can said Torts doesn't have a puck carrier on this team that can skate end to end. But if the lack of a Marty St. Louis player is preventing Torts from getting the puck up ice cleanly. Well then, he isn't that good of a coach.

Even Renney knew how to move up ice as a five man unit out of our zone.
Don't even.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Watching the Wings move out of their zone is truly wonderful. Short, decisive passes to alleviate the Nashville pressure. Nashville isn't too bad at it either. But I'm not seeing any of those stupid stretch pass tip-ins, or a million icings in a minute.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote