HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Get rid of the CBC?

View Poll Results: ...
No 26 72.22%
Ye 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Get rid of the CBC?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1164125

In light of this, some people are complaining yet again the CBC is showing bias. Not political, but anti Leaf. Amazing. But this goes to a larger issue. Many on the right in this country feel the CBC is a liberal network and should be abolished. Others say the CBC is part of culture and has a historic place.

What do you think?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
I would gradually privatise it.

But IMO it's hardly a big issue. I like CBC radio, but CBC tv is stupid and useless. Plus the funding for the CBC is an insignificant amount.

Last edited by Tim Calhoun: 04-13-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Leave it how it is. Hopefully the next minority government restores funding to its previous levels, although the CBC existing does give Sun TV something to talk about all day and we wouldn't want Ezra Levant to go hungry, would we?

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:12 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

They really need to find a new set of announcers, hughson is extremely irritating

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
HNIC is full of morons. PJ Stock, Cherry, McLean, Lee, Oake, Simpson, and Weekes don't deserve jobs. I only like Hughson, Friedman, and Hrudey.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
HNIC is full of morons. PJ Stock, Cherry, McLean, Lee, Oake, Simpson, and Weekes don't deserve jobs. I only like Hughson, Friedman, and Hrudey.
This.

I think the Rogers/Bell deal to buy the leafs is a way to cut CBC out of sports broadcasting. Bell took the CFL and more importantly the grey cup. Bell and Rogers took the Olympics and the freaking hockey song away from CBC too.

Bell wants wants the golden egg (Toronto/Saturday night/ exclusivd national tv rights) and when that contract is due for renewal with the nhl, bell will make sure that CBC will lose.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:56 PM
RonFournier

I don't know for the english medias but in french SRC is the only reliable tv channel for the news and political/social/economical debates because of its public aspect. The other medias (V, TVA, LCN) all offer brain deteriorating shows and biased news. The last thing we would want is to get US type of news quality.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

As opposed to being private? Canada needs the CBC. It does represent our culture more than people think When got my first place years ago I didn't have cable and relied on a Sony Trinitron from the 80's with rabbit ears. For 1 year the majority of the TV that I watched was Canadian made. American shows the would play during prime time but you could really see the difference. We compare Canadian tv to American and we should not. I like knowing that this media source is %100 Canadian owned as opposed to a private corporation that can buy it's way in and influence the decisions of the Canadian citizen. Sun tv/newspaper is garbage. Not for what they say but how they sensationalize it.

Sun media literally encourages people to be happy that they are stupid because its their right.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:38 AM
RoryDelap
That's some bad hat.

Get rid of the "big, bad" CBC? Am I on the Sun website?

Glenn Healy...... GET RID.

Is there anybody who likes him?

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post

Sun media literally encourages people to be happy that they are stupid because its their right.
Never has so much truth been said in just one line.

Doesn't look like the CPC think they would be allowed to kill the CBC right now (public opinion), so they're just going to mame it. The public service expanded under Harper before he decided to squeeze it back by a similar amount (that behaviour is mismanagement on his part IMHO), but the CBC didn't have that similar expansion before contraction, so it hurts their base operation more I think.

Anyway, under Harper it seems expanding weapons of destruction programs is good (as is giving breaks and unending help to expand oil companies), culture and informing the public without a CPC spin is bad. Go figure.

Last edited by Puck: 04-14-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
Get rid of the "big, bad" CBC? Am I on the Sun website?

Glenn Healy...... GET RID.

Is there anybody who likes him?
I love Glenn Healy. He's so bitter and angry that it's absolutely hilarious.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:13 AM
MayDay

Public broadcasting has a very important place, but not in pro sports broadcasting, IMO.

Public broadcasting should restrict itself to public affairs, news, educational and cultural programming. With an eye towards broadcasting content of value that is not well represented by private broadcasters.

Pro sports doesn't fall under that, I think. It's entertainment programming, and there is no shortage of private broadcasters willing to show that programming. Taxpayer money should not be used to buy the exorbitant broadcast rights for pro sports.

When I think of the CBC and HNIC, I try to imagine what would happen if PBS ever bid on NFL broadcast rights, because that would be the equivalent here. The public outrage would be enormous.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Public broadcasting has a very important place, but not in pro sports broadcasting, IMO.

Public broadcasting should restrict itself to public affairs, news, educational and cultural programming. With an eye towards broadcasting content of value that is not well represented by private broadcasters.

Pro sports doesn't fall under that, I think. It's entertainment programming, and there is no shortage of private broadcasters willing to show that programming. Taxpayer money should not be used to buy the exorbitant broadcast rights for pro sports.

When I think of the CBC and HNIC, I try to imagine what would happen if PBS ever bid on NFL broadcast rights, because that would be the equivalent here. The public outrage would be enormous.
The difference is Canada is a vast, and not as nearly populated as the US. When radio was the only gig in town it kept everyone in touch. Then when television came out same thing. The CBC was there when the NHL was worth nothing and has evolved ever since.

Hockey is part of our culture thus the CBC continues to pay for the rights. It's only been in that last 10 years where people can easily buy a dish and watch what ever they want.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:31 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
CBC is a great channel, the only thing bad is the Leafs bias (and Glenn Healy)

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Habsfunk

I've always wondered what programming on CBC is profitable and what isn't. Does a show like Little Mosque on the Prairie make money through ads or does part of government funding support it? Ditto Dragon's Den. I also wonder how much of government funding goes to support the obviously non-profitable ventures like French-language television across the country and CBC radio. CBC has a mandate to provide those services and as long as that mandate exists, it should be properly funded.

I'm of the opinion that shows that can be classified as entertainment (Rick Mercer, Little Mosque, Dragon's Den, Jeopardy, Coronation Street, etc...) should be self-supported and, ideally, profitable.

Shows that can be dubbed educational (Doc Zone, the National), I don't mind supporting as long they're good.

All that said, CBC Radio 1 is fantastic and I hate to see it gutted. Quirks & Quarks, The Current, Writers & Company, As It Happens and Wire Tap are all really great shows. I would include Dispatches, but it recently got cut.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Melrose Munch

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2401461/

Quote:
The CBC appears to have traded one enemy for a host of others.

For many years, the public broadcaster and its supporters believed Stephen Harper’s government was their only true antagonist, in the way it kept the corporation in the dark about its financial future from one year to the next despite desperate and repeated calls for “stable and secure funding.”

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:30 AM
guest1467

I don't really care either way tbh.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Puck
Ninja

Private sector tv in Canada is fat and useless. They produce some Canadian content because they are forced to because of their license obligations, otherwise they'd just show an endless stream of US shows that have more profit use for them. They whine about the CBC, they whine about cable and satellite but they basically have few social/cultural redeeming values; it's all about the dollar bill. The CRTC has been mostly a protectionist agency to keep these guys afloat, because they never would have survived on their own. They hate the CBC because it cuts into their eyeballs and profits of showing an endless stream of pop entertainment, mostly headlining US productions. Just cut the cr*p and let them compete against the US, they won't last 10 seconds. We might be going that route anyway with global IP television. Then the only thing left standing in Canada might just be the CBC.

I guarantee you these same whiney tv privates will be crying for Canadian govt protection to save them from global competition.

Last edited by Puck: 04-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I'd imagine the Mercer Report is quite profitable but I doubt too many of their other shows do any more than break even.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I would gradually privatise it.
This. CBC's got too much history to completely scrap it. It should be sold to private investors, as it's pretty clear that the gov't that funds it cares very little about those that watch it.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't really care either way tbh.
Why bother posting exactly?

Anyways, I agree with those saying you can't get rid of the CBC altogether, just too much history behind it. Privatizing would be the way to go imo.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Why bother posting exactly?
Why do you even give a fuck?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
jgravessimcoe

The CBC is so much more than hockey.

There might in the future be good reasons to get rid of the CBC. However I don't consider conservative ideology a good reason.

I don't much have a problem with the 'bias' of the CBC, when that 'bias' is a reflection of Canadians' actual opinions. That goes for politics, and sports teams.

jgravessimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Just like PBS, get rid of CBC.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Hockey is part of our culture thus the CBC continues to pay for the rights.
I understand that, but there's plenty of hockey-related programming that the CBC could broadcast (fictions, documentaries, junior and international hockey, etc.) without needed to shell out millions of dollars for rights to the NHL. As I said above, it's not like the NHL would not be on TV if the CBC didn't broadcast it. Canadians would not be without this vital cultural programming. There's no need for them to pay huge sums (subsidized by the public) for content that private broadcasters would eagerly pay for and broadcast.

In the US, PBS produced and aired Ken Burns' baseball documentary, and that is well within PBS' purview, since baseball is culturally significant in American history. But there's a big difference between doing that and paying millions for MLB broadcast rights.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote