HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Roster Changes/Call-up Ideas For Game 3

Old
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Boocock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think Parks energy and puck hounding could get a nice buzz going after goals for or against.
Trying Park is a practical, low-risk decent-reward idea. I'm for it.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
JimsDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
They weren't the issue, they hardly saw the ice. Hint, hint.
Same with Vitale. He had less than 5mins of TOI. If that's all he's going to get then put Park out there. He can center the 4th line, plus has more offense and Vet grit.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
TheGoldenJet

Offensively we have 3 lines producing so now worries there. The offence is doing great.

The defence is in shambles. Need to shore up defensively or this one is over.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:09 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm hoping for...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Crosby-Dupuis
Sullivan-Staal-TK
Park-Vittles-Adams

I think Parks energy and puck hounding could get a nice buzz going after goals for or against.

A big thing for me is using 2 D on the points of the PP. The Flyers are to agressive up top and are making mince meat out of the Pens point men.

You can almost track when the Flyers will turn the game around because the Pens stop getting pucks in deep and start turning pucks over at the blue line. My friggin mom sees that coming a mile away.
Replace Adams with Tangradi and this is my starting lineup. Cooke and Sully are interchangeable tbh.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Lustaf

After those TWO major break downs by Lovejoy, he unfortunately (for him) should not touch NHL ice again this year.

Lustaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:19 PM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustaf View Post
After those TWO major break downs by Lovejoy, he unfortunately (for him) should not touch NHL ice again this year.
At least he owned it. He wasn't the only one who made mistakes that led to goals, but he was the only one to give a 'mea culpa'.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Offensively we have 3 lines producing so now worries there. The offence is doing great.

The defence is in shambles. Need to shore up defensively or this one is over.
Forwards have to play D too. It's hard for those top 3 lines to get back when they're gassed because Bylsma won't play the 4th line.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
They weren't the issue, they hardly saw the ice. Hint, hint.
Yes, and one of the reasons why our 4th line doesn't see the ice much is because Adams gets so much PK time.

If our star forwards were seeing some PK time, it would (A) provide an offensive threat on the PK and throw off Philly's PP; and (B) would keep distribute the 4th line minutes more evenly so we could throw out a fresh fourth line who could work their ass off and provide more energy.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:04 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The fourth line stinks. Adams and asham are too slow and joe hasn't been much like his regular season self. That said tangradi isn't going to help us. Remind me again why people keep wanting him to play? Oh yeah........he's big. Pardon me if I don't think he'd make a damn bit of difference.
Because Tangradi & Jeffrey on the 4th line actually have some offensive ability, so whether they're out there in an energy capacity with Vitale, or flanking Crosby/Malkin/Staal when they're double shifted, they'll be much more of a threat to score.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
At least he owned it. He wasn't the only one who made mistakes that led to goals, but he was the only one to give a 'mea culpa'.
As far as I'm concerned, that makes him a +1 on Orpik. Flame away . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Pens1566

I'd sit Lovejoy and Adams. Despres and Tangradi in.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
I like what jmelm said; Adams and Asham out and put in Jeffrey & Tangradi.

Also hope Niskanen returns.
I'll take Adams and Asham out and Tangradi in + Lovejoy out and Niskanen and Despres in (here's to hoping Nisky returns).

Run 11 forwards. Make the lines unpredictable. Give me 70 minutes minimum from Sid, Geno, and Staal. If I'm going down, then let is be with those guys playing until they drop instead of Bylsma rolling four regular lines or sticking Asham-Vitale-Adams out with five minutes left.

Of course, some other systemic changes would be nice too . . .

Old
04-14-2012, 01:27 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Guess the truth hurts.

If you want lines just keep them the same and maybe bring in Despres. If you can change how the Defense actually plays (pretty doubtful after 3-4 weeks of the same garbage)

TSN has some great highlights, slomo's, and quotes as they spent 10 minutes breaking down the problems
1. Correct Gap- 8 feet away can't happen. They can't let Flyers forwards cycle untouched in the corners. Go back and watch the Jagr goal. Nobody near and it was 5-v-5 not a PP.
2. Overplaying- they are overplaying every assignment
3. They are positionally unsound across the board. They should be between the Offensive Player/Puck and Goalie. They are constantly to side, chasing, or overplaying to try to go up ice
4. Stop trying to transition before the puck is secure. Two or three times they released and left 2 Flyers right at Fleury's feed

I could go on but until they play correctly line changes are the least of their problems.
Excellent evaluation. I agree 100%. The overall strategy is poor and it needs adjustment. This is a coaching requirement. Question is, will he do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
These pairings are mindbogglingly stupid. The pens defense is soft as it is, let's put the two smaller guys together! And then the two defensive players that can't pass together (Orpik-Michalek). So disappointed in Bylsma right now. These pairings just amplify their already glaring weaknesses.
Good points. It definitely needs shuffling. Bringing in Depres over Lovejoy is a no-brainer, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I didn't notice this thread until after I posted this one http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1164669

So I will not repeat what I said there, but I will add that Bylsma needs to have an option for implementing some kind of defensive trap strategy -- whether it's 1-3-1, left-wing-lock, a New Jersey/Jacques Lemaire/Ken Hitchcock kind of plan, or whatever.

Much lesser teams, with weaker forwards, defensemen & goalies have implemented a trap that has been effective against better offensive teams than Philadelphia. We need to have different game plans beyond just "getting to our [one kind of] game".
Another good idea. They need to become 'defensive' immediately. The turnovers created will allow enough offense. It also is good for the weaker dmen on the team so they don't have to do as much but stick to a more defensive mode. Orpik, Lovejoy and Martin, are horrible defensively and not 'aware' or smart when out there and that is half your D-core.

A more rigid defense right now would help whoever is playing. They need to play smarter because the mistakes are piling up and they look lost in their own zone and are not checking or picking up open guys. There needs to be coaching adjustments and it has to start in Philly.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Replace Adams with Tangradi and this is my starting lineup. Cooke and Sully are interchangeable tbh.
That sounds good, too. Also, I like the point about playing Vitale a bit more. The Pens need to increase their hitting. Philly should feel just as much physical play as they dish out if not more. Not to mention the next two games will be in Philly. So, they need to since the Flyers will try to iniate the hitting at first. Pitt. has to respond in kind.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
That sounds good, too. Also, I like the point about playing Vitale a bit more. The Pens need to increase their hitting. Philly should feel just as much physical play as they dish out if not more. Not to mention the next two games will be in Philly. So, they need to since the Flyers will try to iniate the hitting at first. Pitt. has to respond in kind.
I wouldn't mind seeing Vitale not just play more but play with the talent more. He's out there busting his *** and forechecking in a way that should put Kunitz, Cooke, and Neal to shame.

A series like this, I'd have no problem putting Geno out there with Tangradi on one side and Vitale on the other. At least I'd know if he ***** the bed again, it won't be because his linemates are sleep skating at even strength.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:41 PM
catdaddy
Maatasaurus Rex

Adams-Vitale-Asham-Jeffrey-Tangradi-Park

Pick and choose whomever you will for the fourth line. This is like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. Whatever minimal performance gains you might get with any combination thereof is not what will turn this series around.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Saku11

Bench Neal .He has been a complete no show these first two games

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Adams-Vitale-Asham-Jeffrey-Tangradi-Park

Pick and choose whomever you will for the fourth line. This is like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. Whatever minimal performance gains you might get with any combination thereof is not what will turn this series around.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Forwards have to play D too. It's hard for those top 3 lines to get back when they're gassed because Bylsma won't play the 4th line.
Our fourth line is pointless with a minus-4 collective rating after two games. They're getting killed. Voracek alone is dominating from their fourth line. I certainly don't blame the coach for not playing the fourth line. I would blame him if he didn't make changes to the fourth line for Game 3, however. The three lines shouldn't be gassed. It's not a novel concept to play three-line hockey, especially in the playoffs. But when you're getting lit up defensively, then yeah. It becomes a serious problem.

I'd make changes to the fourth line. Sure. Maybe even tinker with the first three if you must (though their job is to score goals and they're doing their job).

But it all starts on the blueline. If we don't make changes there, or if the guys we have don't start playing better, we're toast.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Terrapin

I avoided this thread because I knew it would be just one big Tangradi circle jerk. And, as usual, I was correct. I get a lot of people here are madly in love with the guy, but guess what, he's had as many goals this year as Steve Macintyre, and 1 less than Carl ****ing Sneep. Jeffrey hasn't even seen the ice in 2 months. You could make a case for Park over Adams or Asham, but that's it. With 8 goals in 2 games, offense isn't a problem anyway.

Personally I think they should call up Despres and dress 7 D. They all suck, but at least that'll limit ice time for clowns like Martin and Lovejoy. Double shift Sid and Geno on the 4th all game: Vitale-Sid/Geno-Asham/Park.

Defense:
Letang-Engelland
Orpik-Michalek
Martin-Despres/Lovejoy

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:20 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Bench Neal .He has been a complete no show these first two games
Great idea.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Great idea.
Haha, i wasnt being completely serious. But the dude has been invisible. You got to admit that

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:30 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Haha, i wasnt being completely serious. But the dude has been invisible. You got to admit that
I don't think he's been that bad. That play he made last night that led to the Kunitz goal was pretty good. Philly has just been matchign up been very well against that top line. If we're going to single out Neal then we gotta be willing to call out Geno as well.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Run 11 forwards. Make the lines unpredictable. Give me 70 minutes minimum from Sid, Geno, and Staal. If I'm going down, then let is be with those guys playing until they drop instead of Bylsma rolling four regular lines or sticking Asham-Vitale-Adams out with five minutes left.
That word stuck out for me. The Flyers are in the collective heads of the Penguins right now. The Pens, conversely, are playing a very predictable game...from the lines, to how they react after taking leads, to game play, etc.

Some unpredictability is in order for Game 3. The Flyers are extremely comfortable right now. There needs to be something for them to think about heading into Game 3.

Stick Sid and Geno together at practice. Try using Staal as Giroux's shadow. Call up Despres. Use Tangradi on the fourth line to crash and bang. Use him on the 2nd PP unit. Hell, call MacIntyre up and hint at using him in Game 3 (whether you do it or not). Hint at starting Brent Johnson. I don't know, do SOMETHING different. Some of these wouldn't play mind games with Philly, but some might. Try anything, basically.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
AK

Lovejoy shouldn't play. He's not a playoff-caliber defenseman.

Everything else stays the same. The Pens are playing their best lineup; they're just making too many dumb mistakes.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote