HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
But perhaps that's more sad than funny, no?
Why sad ? Fans in Zagreb loves their club no matter of player nationality. Our domestic hockey sucks, no rinks but in Zagreb, small player base, but we have some players with croatian roots in north america.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Faterson

... including the greatest of all, even though retired now, Joe Sakic.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Den

Kiev is in the news now. I would not mind, a big city, some potential for good crowds. They will probably build a good arena sometime soon...

Old
01-08-2013, 05:00 AM
perklunt
qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Kiev is in the news now. I would not mind, a big city, some potential for good crowds. They will probably build a good arena sometime soon...
or maybe not, u know thats Ukraine...

Old
01-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklunt View Post
x2
Nail on the head

Old
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
kajoo

Quote:
But perhaps that's more sad than funny, no?
how many NHLers were born and raised in Phoenix ?

I find it exciting that hockey has potential to grow in non-traditional markets, and rather want to see KHL team in non-traditional, but hockey-passionate place like Zagreb, than at a place where ppl dont care about hockey.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
how many NHLers were born and raised in Phoenix ?

I find it exciting that hockey has potential to grow in non-traditional markets, and rather want to see KHL team in non-traditional, but hockey-passionate place like Zagreb, than at a place where ppl dont care about hockey.
well, Ukraine is not a non-traditional hockey market, it's just an abandoned hockey market.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:27 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perklunt View Post
They're building 20000 seater for EuroBasket 2015.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:09 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well, Ukraine is not a non-traditional hockey market, it's just an abandoned hockey market.
His post was about Zagreb And yes, I do agree with you, for me Kiev is more traditional hockey city with more colorful history than Phoenix...way more...

Old
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
cska78

delete

Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Daltonbror*

I'm glad the swedish teams does'nt wanna join. The KHL is'nt attractive in western europe, no matter how much money the owners spend on the KHL, Elitserien and NHL will be the leauges people watch.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Faterson

That's a good joke, Daltobror. No one gives a damn about Elitserien except Swedes, but I hear hockey isn't very popular in Sweden anyhow (see the disgracefully empty arenas at the World Championships).

Old
01-14-2013, 04:08 AM
yunost

Funny I dont recall ESPN and TSN interested in signing TV contracts with the SEL.

Here in Canada people wont understand "SEL" or "Eliteserien" unless you explicitly say Swedish league in the sentence.

Pretty much everyone now is familiar with what the KHL is. They ran KHL all-star game highlights during prime time Canadian sports channel. I havent seen anything Swedish.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Faterson

To be fair, he probably meant Swedes and wrote people instead, relegating the rest of us to a sub-human species.

Yeah, it's natural for Swedes to be interested in the Swedish league and NHL only. Slovaks used to be the same, before Slovan joined the KHL.

I'm a big fan of the multi-national model of hockey leagues. No matter how high quality a single-country league is -- and Elitserien no doubt has a very high quality -- it's still provincial.

They could easily dissolve the NHL, so that there would be a separate Canadian and US league. Why don't they do that? Well, because it's so much more fun to compete on an international level. It adds to the excitement, helps build new rivalries.

Our friend Daltonbror's failing to understand that is just provincial thinking of the past. Sorry.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
To be fair, he probably meant Swedes and wrote people instead, relegating the rest of us to a sub-human species.

Yeah, it's natural for Swedes to be interested in the Swedish league and NHL only. Slovaks used to be the same, before Slovan joined the KHL.

I'm a big fan of the multi-national model of hockey leagues. No matter how high quality a single-country league is -- and Elitserien no doubt has a very high quality -- it's still provincial.

They could easily dissolve the NHL, so that there would be a separate Canadian and US league. Why don't they do that? Well, because it's so much more fun to compete on an international level. It adds to the excitement, helps build new rivalries.

Our friend Daltonbror's failing to understand that is just provincial thinking of the past. Sorry.
Just because you think it is like that, doesn't mean that is. The whole Nordic sports culture is very provincial, people are more interested in seeing their teams compete against the local arch rivals than teams from other countries. Past European club competitions proved that. The only exception is football, where it's natural for people to come to see the likes Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc. Until you provide an example how such thinking is past over here, you're comments will remain to be just wishful thinking.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Faterson

Oh, if someone's happy with their provincial thinking, that's fine with me. In the end, I believe being provincial does not pay off. Today, there is no way for the Finnish or Swedish to find out about that, because almost everyone is still being provincial in Europe today. The KHL is only the first, so far very modest step away from provincial thinking.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
cska78

Quote:
Oh, if someone's happy with their provincial thinking, that's fine with me. In the end, I believe being provincial does not pay off. Today, there is no way for the Finnish or Swedish to find out about that, because almost everyone is still being provincial in Europe today. The KHL is only the first, so far very modest step away from provincial thinking.
I think u got to respect everyone's values. I actually like European style of live and respect it a lot.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
It all derives from the sponsors. All those little ads in jerseys and on the boards, they're local companies with no aspirations and most often no capabilities of marketing beyond their countries borders.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Omark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Just because you think it is like that, doesn't mean that is. The whole Nordic sports culture is very provincial, people are more interested in seeing their teams compete against the local arch rivals than teams from other countries. Past European club competitions proved that. .
I'm tired to SM-liiga and its refs, losing best players and other ****. KHL has big potential in Finland too. But I think it might take few years to reach that.

Last edited by stv11: 01-15-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Removed flame
Old
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I think u got to respect everyone's values. I actually like European style of live and respect it a lot.
I didnt see any disrespect. And an opinion about sports structure has nothing to do with style of life in a country.

If anything, Daltonbror is way out there saying nobody gives a **** about the KHL

Old
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Just because you think it is like that, doesn't mean that is. The whole Nordic sports culture is very provincial, people are more interested in seeing their teams compete against the local arch rivals than teams from other countries. Past European club competitions proved that. The only exception is football, where it's natural for people to come to see the likes Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc. Until you provide an example how such thinking is past over here, you're comments will remain to be just wishful thinking.
Exactly, there are exceptions...and the exception is when you finally have access to that elite level to watch

It's like Canadian CFL fans. They rant and rave about how awesome Canadian football is....but if their city had an NFL team, they'd forget about any local/provincial rivalry and move on to the best.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
supermasif

I'm pretty sure daltonbror meant people in sweden.

I don't see a swedish team ever joining the KHL. There are too many obstacles. The fans preferring old rivalries being a massive one, and different tax rules than Russia being another huge problem, which would make it almost impossible for swedish teams to compete with their russian counterparts.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark View Post
I'm tired to SM-liiga and its refs, losing best players and other ****. KHL has big potential in Finland too. But I think it might take few years to reach that.
The hell it does. You don't know anything about the Finnish sports fans mentality if you post crap like that.

Last edited by stv11: 01-15-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: edited quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Exactly, there are exceptions...and the exception is when you finally have access to that elite level to watch

It's like Canadian CFL fans. They rant and rave about how awesome Canadian football is....but if their city had an NFL team, they'd forget about any local/provincial rivalry and move on to the best.
Yes but football is the number one sports in football and everyone wants to see the likes of clubs I mentioned. Hockey, not so much. They're not even interested in seeing the clubs from their arch rivals from the neighboring country.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post

If anything, Daltonbror is way out there saying nobody gives a **** about the KHL
Well it's accurate for Sweden considering previous KHL right holder Viasat dropped the league because there was more interest in Allsvenskan (the second tier league below Elitserien).

Closed Thread