HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Guy Lafleur's swipe at Jacques Lemaire

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2008, 12:05 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Guy Lafleur's swipe at Jacques Lemaire

Did anyone else catch Lafleur's Pre-game interview on TSN. They talked about how his career ended in Mtl and whether he thought it could been longer. His response was that he couldn't play in the new defensive system and they would trade him there was no other choice for him.

He doesn't name Lemaire but obviously it the reference. I don't know if a coach could force out a superstar in todays NHL, makes me sad that it happened then.

Old
10-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Lafleur has been quoted a few times over the years that a combination of Lemaire/Savard led to his early retirement.

10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Did anyone else catch Lafleur's Pre-game interview on TSN. They talked about how his career ended in Mtl and whether he thought it could been longer. His response was that he couldn't play in the new defensive system and they would trade him there was no other choice for him.

He doesn't name Lemaire but obviously it the reference. I don't know if a coach could force out a superstar in todays NHL, makes me sad that it happened then.
Why not just accept a trade to another club?

Old
10-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Why not just accept a trade to another club?
Lafleur claims that he requested to be traded, Savard would not trade him.

"They wouldn't let me play and they wouldn't let me go elsewhere," states a disgruntled Lafleur. The Montreal Canadiens gave him a job for life, doing public relations for the franchise.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/...onep198802.htm

Old
10-18-2008, 12:31 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

I think Gaborik may be the same thing when it comes to playing for Lemaire. Being offensively gifted and playing in a stifling defensive system doesn't work for all players of Lafleurs and Gaboriks ilk.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
10-18-2008, 12:35 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Lafleur also seemed to have a difficult time accepting that he had lost a step or two...but in the end it still could have been handles better by Lemaire.

Old
10-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Toro

I've always loved Lafleur like many a Hab fan. But i have to wonder if he really took his career seriously. He party-ed a lot and didn't work out much, not like today's athletes and a few then. If he could have admitted to himself that he lost a step, he could have worked harder and made up for it in strength and conditioning and working on adapting his game a little. If he would have done these things i believe he would have continued to be a fan favorite as Koivu has and will be. True what brought Koivu to the NHL is a different skill set but still Koivu has had to adapt and will continue to have to as he gets older.

There's no reason a guy as talented as Lafleur couldn't have made a longer career.

edit: an example that just popped into my mind. Luc Robitaille. He even had to start out with being much slower than Guy.

Old
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I've always loved Lafleur like many a Hab fan. But i have to wonder if he really took his career seriously. He party-ed a lot and didn't work out much, not like today's athletes and a few then. If he could have admitted to himself that he lost a step, he could have worked harder and made up for it in strength and conditioning and working on adapting his game a little. If he would have done these things i believe he would have continued to be a fan favorite as Koivu has and will be. True what brought Koivu to the NHL is a different skill set but still Koivu has had to adapt and will continue to have to as he gets older.

There's no reason a guy as talented as Lafleur couldn't have made a longer career.

edit: an example that just popped into my mind. Luc Robitaille. He even had to start out with being much slower than Guy.

Definitely a reasonable question. True Lafleur was known for being the party type and would spend long nights hitting the bars. But he was also known to show up on game day earlier than any of the other players, sometimes as early as 4-5 hours before game time.

Also there wasn't too many athletes from that time period that worked out to the extent that today's athletes do.

Even though Lafleur is my all-time favorite Hab...kind of obvious from my avatar. I do agree that he could have done a few things towards the end of his career differently.

I just think the hardest part for Lafleur was not being able to accept that he wasn't the star anymore. He was still a pretty good player when he retired, his skating and defensive work was still very impressive.

But as the goals came fewer and farther apart. I think his confidence is what left him first.

Old
10-18-2008, 01:22 PM
mcphee

When I hear these stories, and it's always after the fact, [you can't very well discuss events before the fact], it seems that events remain black and white in everyone's mind. Esp, the people involved.

I believe that Lemiare and Savard wanted to clean out the majority of the 70's team, play a different style, but I don't believe that they were ever anti-goalscoring.

I think Lafleur was going through a lot of personal stuff, I think sort of a hangover from being 'Guy Lafleur' for a long time. He kepy saying the right things about refining his defensive game, but he wasn't going to become Bob ganey any more than Gainey was going to become Lafleur.

Savard's refusal to deal him, well I believe Savard told him he didn't want to go that route. I don't believe that there was no possible resolution though. I think Lafleur could've tried harder to continue his career if he was 100% sure that he wanted to. What Savard sold him on, Lafleur bought. I think Lafleur was sorry soon after, but like most conflicts, there could have been a better way out, they just didn't find it.

Robinson had his conflict with Savard a few years later and both sides have put out their own stories as to wjat happened, but Robinson was able to find a solution, Lafleur couldn't. Different guys, differnt personalities, but I can't say that there's a whole lot of finger pointing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

Toro, I don't know if this makes sense but after all I've read and observed over the years, I think Lafleur was tired of being Guy Lafleur and unable to not be Guy Lafleur at the same time.

How many stories have you read where people have met him, called him an arrogant jerk, whereas I've known a fair number of people that found him to be a charming, humble guy. I don't think either party was wrong, guys aren't just one thing, and I've always thought that those that can do something with some genius involved, they just aren't the same as the rest of us.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Dave10
Rookie User

Jacques Lemaire was always jealous of Lafleur and as soon as he was in a position of authority he used it to abuse him and ruin his last days in Montreal. A shameful way to treat Lafleur, especially when Lemaire made it so obvious he had it in for him.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

thought for a moment Habs10Habs was back

Closed Thread