HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ Game 2: Caps @ Bruins 3PM At TD Garden

Old
04-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Capsman

vCash: 500
I think it's quite obvious that you don't have to be in the BB fan club to have serious reservations about the team's play. There was probably not a bigger "fire BB proponent" than me. But even BB had his strengths, hell any live body that has played pro hockey has his strengths. But his weaknesses were fatal. Ditto for Dale. No question the toughness and tenacity has improved. The play behind the blue line is better. But the offense has reverted to midget hockey sophistication, worse than BB's last year. The refreshing spunk of this team will get old really quick.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Brian23

Yanno, maybe its just me but it seems like Dales very slightly changed up how he appraoches the game. They were much more aggressive tonight, saw more line changes and matching, and really seemed like he was doing just enough as the coach to let the players win the game.

The only thing I can complain about him is putting Aucion out there. But its kinda hard to pull him. He's a guy who's giving everything he's got on every shift and it just isn't working. Some guys just can't end up the astronaut, if you get what I'm saying. I think if you pull him off and toss Halpern out there or Knubes (though I'm really liking Brouwer in what would probably be Knubes role at this point) instead I think we'd have a much better cycle.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't see it, at all.

It's been two virtuoso goaltending performances. They've been sloppy, offensively inept, and are being outplayed in just about every aspect of the game.

I don't want to be too negative after a win, but I just hope that Holtby's performances aren't papering over the cracks in the team in the eyes of management and the coaches.
I think you could say that about game 1 but not todays game.....they competed hard, outworked, and just outplayed them....today. I would say they outworked them more than they outplayed them but thats a very good team in Boston.....and they came to play today too

i agree saying that its the best 2 games they played the last 5 playoffs is not accurate (especially game 1).....but youre taking it the other direction. They deserved that win

Mothra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:38 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Chimera + Ward= LOL

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post

All of a sudden the standard of success is winning one playoff game and pointing that out makes me a troll.

Seriously, the best two playoff games in years? The level of hyperbole is astounding.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post

No one is happier about the win. But this is the best goaltending they've had in the playoffs and they've scored 2 goals in 9 periods.
wait....what? right after you talk about hyperbole you say this? Varlamov played out of his mind against NYR....all of a sudden 2 games by Holtby is the best in years?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yeah I don't think it's any stretch to be superbly happy with the way a mentally fragile group played so far without realizing that they have no possession cause they have only one C, and he's 5 games back in, and paired with a turnover machine.

Laich isn't a top 2 C, MP doesn't have the stamina and is still slight, mojo doesn't even play there anymore, beagle is a a younger Halpy. It begins and ends with problems in the middle.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:49 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

As usual, the fans reactions tell the tale. Oh my.

I love Ovi's projection of almost a stoic calmness as he uses a goal scorers precision to lay the lumber right on the german's jaw. Both are studs but Ovi won this battle.

That was playoff hockey.

Did the instigator predict a split in Boston?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-15-2012 at 02:00 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post

wait....what? right after you talk about hyperbole you say this? Varlamov played out of his mind against NYR....all of a sudden 2 games by Holtby is the best in years?
People forget for some reason just how exceptionally much Varlamov was left out to dry against NYR and subsequently Pittsburgh.

That iconic goal line save on Crosby he made, we were giving 3-4 chances up like that a period. Any rebound he made the other team usually knew where to go while our defensemen were spinning around like they had vertigo.

Holtby's life is much easier in terms of defensive support. His biggest adversary is pretty much himself any time he makes a random high risk play.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:52 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post

Chimera + Ward= LOL
I hope Chimera's wife is upset with that!

Watching that over and over interesting to watch the individual crowd reactions.

04-15-2012, 01:56 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
People forget for some reason just how exceptionally much Varlamov was left out to dry against NYR and subsequently Pittsburgh.

That iconic goal line save on Crosby he made, we were giving 3-4 chances up like that a period. Any rebound he made the other team usually knew where to go while our defensemen were spinning around like they had vertigo.

Holtby's life is much easier in terms of defensive support. His biggest adversary is pretty much himself any time he makes a random high risk play.
That team also had a horrid d roster.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah I don't think it's any stretch to be superbly happy with the way a mentally fragile group played so far without realizing that they have no possession cause they have only one C, and he's 5 games back in, and paired with a turnover machine.

Laich isn't a top 2 C, MP doesn't have the stamina and is still slight, mojo doesn't even play there anymore, beagle is a a younger Halpy. It begins and ends with problems in the middle.
MP should be given a chance with OV, stamina or not. He probably had the highest percentage of shifts amongst all our forwards where he got the Bruins' defensive coverage scrambled. Him, Aucoin and Ward actually made the Bruins tentative for the most part despite being a disaster on paper. Heck, double shift OV on the 4th line instead of Aucoin. Ovechkin-Perreault-Ward has the ingredients to work quite well.

I kinda wish we overpaid for Plekanec now. He'd look absolutely perfect next to OV in this series. Oh, heck, even Vermette.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Mothra

Quote:
It's the absolute height of delusion to think this team and coaching staff don't need to improve several aspects of the game immensely to do any consistent damage.

This wasn't playoff hockey. This was 'under siege' hockey.
you are just 100% wrong....playoff hockey was exactly what that was. Regardless of the outcome of the series today was hardnosed playoff hockey....a win, against the defending champs...on the road.

No...they wont win the series (or maybe even another game) without scoring more, agreed....but this was not game 1. They had chances today.....they botched some and looked out of sync at times on O but thats a damn good the Bruins.

There is a reason they won the Cup and are a higher seed.....and while I dont care much about that once the games start its still cant be ignored.

again....they wont win unless they can some create offense and burry a few of these chances....no question....but today, that was playoff hockey (and I dont mean because of the score)....two teams paying the price for every foot of ice....every little mistake magnified.....giving it everything they have and paying the price to chip the puck 5 feet up the boards

i seriously dont know whats wrong with you if you dont think thats playoff hockey

Old
04-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
That team also had a horrid d roster.
And hence Varlamov had to make a lot more star saves due to having a lot less support.

Holtby is playing incredibly well but he's facing a lot less high percentage plays than Varlamov had to deal with.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:03 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed. My point. The agressive system, horrid D, and turnover machines led to chance after chance

Edit: holtby has a lot less margin for error due to lack of offense.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:07 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post

Watching that over and over interesting to watch the individual crowd reactions.
Guy in green jacket...

Red head girl with the yellow towel of some sort, starts looking the other way talking and smiling, then realize the Bruins loss...

But the triple coach hug was pretty funny.... wish there was a fist pump thing from Dale like Laviolette.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:07 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

Err Varlamov the martyr does not compute from my memory

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:09 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I don't see it, at all.

It's been two virtuoso goaltending performances. They've been sloppy, offensively inept, and are being outplayed in just about every aspect of the game.

I don't want to be too negative after a win, but I just hope that Holtby's performances aren't papering over the cracks in the team in the eyes of management and the coaches.
I want to be very clear on this.

McPhee has cobbled together a horrible roster with enormous holes and absolutely no sense of cohesion.

Hunter is running a system that runs completely against the few strengths that his players have.

Yes, Holtby gets nearly all the credit. But I'm also seeing smarter play from a lot of players that I considered lost causes. Whether Alex Semin is diving in front of a Chara slap shot because Hunter told him to or because he decided it's worth doing to win a playoff game, I'm happy. It's those little things that I'm taking solace in. And honestly, it's the little things that win tight games. Especially when you can stick to a game plan -no matter how stupid that game plan may be.

Also, this is kind of a mirror image of what Montreal did to us (Montreal had much better scoring chances). And it feels really good to be on the other side of it.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:11 AM
Halpysback

That's true. This system would be a nightmare with a goalie who lets in soft goals. That said I feel like the improvements in defense more than make up for the lower margin of error. Especially since they're slowly turning things around because let's face it, we did manage just 5 shots less than Boston despite them being one of the most defensive teams in the league and playing absolutely smothering defense against us. We had a ton of good plays neutered by Boston just being so on top of things, that I feel would have led to something against defenses like Philly's or Florida's.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Err Varlamov the martyr does not compute from my memory
Watch that run again. There's lots 3-4 minute intervals where we're pinned in our zone and he's diving all over the place preventing pucks from going in. Lots of odd man rushes as well. We had our fair share of rushes against other teams but that defense was just blargh. We were very good today at not letting players take shots from high percentage areas or allow for multiple followup chances, whether that was just luck confined to this game or not. Holtby left a good amount of juicy rebounds that the Bruins could not get to.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:21 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Watch that run again. There's lots 3-4 minute intervals where we're pinned in our zone and he's diving all over the place preventing pucks from going in. Lots of odd man rushes as well.
My recollection is the same. Jurcina/Morrisonnnnnnnn was our shutdown pair and they shut down exactly nothing. Schultz was day to day with embarrassment, Erskine was playing 20+ minutes with a broken foot. Pittsburgh absolutely owned our zone. The only reasons that series went to 7 were Varlamov, Ovechkin and the PP. In that order.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
This is what the Mayans were warning us about.
Comedy GOLD.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:31 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Monster game from Alzner. 1A a fine pass that I have envisioned for some time. +1. 5 hits 5 BS 31 TOI. Even Green left a mark. He pancaked some clown in center. Finally, a solid hit from him. I feel like its been a year. +2 33TOI to lead the D, 3 hits 3 BS no oh no moments.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Halpysback

Seems they're gonna try to cheapshot the hell out of Holtby next game, at least that's what I got from Julien's comments. Hope we have an answer for it. May be the time to get the offense going. The more they crowd the net the more they'll give up in transition.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:43 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

The best is the guy right behind Pierre who is just staring at the ceiling. I wonder if he's passed out lol. He doesn't react AT ALL.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Run the goalie?