HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kiprusoff - Availability & Asking Price/Offers

Old
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
gdg9

vCash: 500
Kiprusoff - Availability & Asking Price/Offers

First, is Kiprusoff actually likely to be available?

I know the Flames have resisted trading their aging vets (Kipper, Iginla, etc) in favour of rebuilding, but there seemed to be a slightly different attitude this year after another failed season.

What are the chances Feaster actually moves him this summer?

Second, if he does become available, what is the general asking price?
I'm assuming any deal would be built around younger pieces.

Last edited by gdg9: 04-27-2012 at 11:36 AM.
gdg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
There are rumors that he is available, personally I hope we trade him and let him have a shot at the cup.

I think his asking price will be either:

young top 4 defenseman

or

mid to late first + good prospect.

Cap dumps can be included.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
gdg9

What's the goalie situation without him?
Would you be looking for a younger replacement as well?

I know Karlson and Irving are there, but Karlson's a UFA after next year, and Irving is still pretty unproven. Would Flames just go with them?

Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
TheHudlinator

Irving looked real solid in his starts this year and stole the back up job down the stretch, Karlsson had a terrible year and could be done in the organization. If we move Kipper I think we would role with Irving + Gustavsson tandem until next year when Ramo is no longer under contract in the KHL and we will bring him over to play with Irving.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM
The Hendog

I posted this in another thread and it got some good traction
Flames run with a goalie tandem of Crawford & Irving sharing the work almost 50/50 I would say plus get a young center prospect which we desperately need
Hawks get their goalie that hopefully puts them over the top and doesn’t add a ton of cap since they are limited in their cap space

To CGY:
- Crawford (Cap hit $2.6M)
- Frolik (Cap hit $2.3M)
- McNeil
- 2nd in 2012

To CHI:
- Kipper (Cap hit $5.8M)
- 3rd in 2012

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
gdg9

Kadri
Franson
Cap Dump (Lombardi/Connolly/Komisarek)

Thoughts?

(I realize alot of other Leaf fans will hate the idea of including Kadri)

Old
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

I don't think he's available to be honest.

And with Luongo, Vokoun, and likely Thomas available, the market is going to be a bit watered down to get true value for him. All 3 of those guys are likely cheaper due to age/contract, or in Vokoun's case is an FA.

So I don't think he's that available unless the Flames get wowed, and they likely won't because of the availability of other goalies.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Flames run with a goalie tandem of Crawford & Irving sharing the work almost 50/50 I would say plus get a young center prospect which we desperately need
Hawks get their goalie that hopefully puts them over the top and doesn’t add a ton of cap since they are limited in their cap space

To CGY:
- Frolik (Cap hit $2.3M)
- McNeil
- 2nd in 2012

To CHI:
- Kipper (Cap hit $5.8M)
- 3rd in 2012

That is pretty good trade, I personally see Kiprusoff going to the Blackhawks. But if the Flames trade Kiprusoff then they are going for a rebuild.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I don't think he's available to be honest.

And with Luongo, Vokoun, and likely Thomas available, the market is going to be a bit watered down to get true value for him. All 3 of those guys are likely cheaper due to age/contract, or in Vokoun's case is an FA.

So I don't think he's that available unless the Flames get wowed, and they likely won't because of the availability of other goalies.

Vokoun is only free agent, don't think Thomas is going anywhere and Luongo will proably go to one of the Florida teams. Vokoun is the only possabilty but the Caps may keep him around for a another season if not I see Leafs going hard after him if they don't land Luongo.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg9 View Post
Kadri
Franson

Thoughts?

He has a NMC and he will only waive it to go to a cup contender and Luongo is in the same boat but his top 2 teams are the Florida teams.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
There are rumors that he is available, personally I hope we trade him and let him have a shot at the cup.

I think his asking price will be either:

young top 4 defenseman

or

mid to late first + good prospect.

Cap dumps can be included.
I personally don't think any team will offer up that much for him. Most teams would prefer a young goalie and there are enough out there to fill most teams wants. And then if there are still more teams looking for a goalie there is Thomas and Luongo as well. Luongo looks to be heading out of town for sure and that makes me think possibly neither Thomas or Kipper will even end up getting moved this offseason. If Kipper is to go, I think it's a mid to late first or a decent prospect.
Edit: Forgot about Vokoun, teams will be interested in him as well due to UFA status.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
MisterT

To CGY:
- McNeil
- 2nd in 2012

To CHI:
- Kipper (Cap hit $5.8M)
- 3rd in 2012

Remove Frolik and I think that will get it done but regardless, that's a solid offer. The Flames should move Kipper and try to jump start a rebuild. If this was the package they got for Kipper, then they should flip Crawford for picks/prospects and roll the dice with Irving and perhaps entice Ramo to exercise the out clause in his KHL contract (the exisatance of which was discussed this week on the Fan 960).

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post

To CGY:
- Frolik (Cap hit $2.3M)
- McNeil
- 2nd in 2012

To CHI:
- Kipper (Cap hit $5.8M)
- 3rd in 2012
I would do that without a hesitation. I'll admit in not as high on McNeill as most Hawk fans though.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
There are rumors that he is available
I have never seen or heard these rumors, what are the sources?

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Kadri
Franson
Lombardi

Thoughts?

I would do this trade.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I have never seen or heard these rumors, what are the sources?
Tsn has talked about it as has CBC (not great sources) I know ownership is anti rebuild but I get the feeling that one of the core players will be moved again and I think it is easier to convince the owners to move Kipper than Iginla.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Kadri
Franson

Thoughts?

I would prefer Lombardi but I feel like that is robbery maybe
Kadri
Franson
Komi

I would do it in a second I doubt any package comes close to that.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
I personally don't think any team will offer up that much for him. Most teams would prefer a young goalie and there are enough out there to fill most teams wants. And then if there are still more teams looking for a goalie there is Thomas and Luongo as well. Luongo looks to be heading out of town for sure and that makes me think possibly neither Thomas or Kipper will even end up getting moved this offseason. If Kipper is to go, I think it's a mid to late first or a decent prospect.
Edit: Forgot about Vokoun, teams will be interested in him as well due to UFA status.
Kipper is better than Vokoun at this point, Luo may be on the move but has 10 years left and is 33 and has a NTC unlike Kipper. Thomas is probably the best option at net but there are more than 2 teams that need a goalie.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Tsn has talked about it as has CBC (not great sources) I know ownership is anti rebuild but I get the feeling that one of the core players will be moved again and I think it is easier to convince the owners to move Kipper than Iginla.
If you move Kipper and go with a younger goalie as the #1 (be it Crawford or Reimer in a trade or the Irving/Karlsson/Ramo in-house options), seems like that's a rebuild move to me, no?

The Flames ownership needs to stop meddling.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If you move Kipper and go with a younger goalie as the #1 (be it Crawford or Reimer in a trade or the Irving/Karlsson/Ramo in-house options), seems like that's a rebuild move to me, no?

The Flames ownership needs to stop meddling.
I am higher than most on Irving and believe he will be ok and would prefer to target a young top 4 defenseman to help reduce his workload. It would be more of a retooling move but the end result is the same is get a young asset (or two) for an aging vet who only has a few years left.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
exporta

Quote:
Kadri
Franson
Komi

As much as Leaf fans disagree, I don't see Burke moving two defenders in this deal. He will likely rather move Lombardi to free up the log jam of depth players.

This may be what it takes to get it done, but from a fans perspective I don't like giving up on Kadri for a goaltender of Kippers age. Burke, with perhaps his job on the line, would likely be more willing to make such a bold move.

exporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Kipper is better than Vokoun at this point, Luo may be on the move but has 10 years left and is 33 and has a NTC unlike Kipper. Thomas is probably the best option at net but there are more than 2 teams that need a goalie.
Vokoun would cost no assets though to get though, that makes him possibly more attractive if a team that is just looking for a veteran goalie to hold the fort for a year or two. Lou does have 10 years left which hurts his value but that NTC (which he has publicly stated he will waive if asked to) would become void and no longer exist if he gets traded. I realize there are more then 2 teams that need goalies but I did mention that most teams would prefer a young goalie such as Bernier for example, there are a few possibilities there.

If trading for Kipper would cost a mid to late first + a good prospect, I think teams would rather trade the same assets for a young goalie, adding more if needed before going after Kipper. All I'm saying is I'm not convinced there is the market for Kipper. I see teams that would be interested the most would be Columbus possibly to mentor Mason? Toronto to mentor Reimer? Washington to mentor Holtby? There are cheaper options as a mentor however (such as Vokoun). Chicago or Tampa because if they had a goalie they could become possible contenders. If Kipper gets moved I think it is because Calgary badly wants to move him and he will not fetch what you hope for. I don't think he is going to end up getting traded.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
gdg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
As much as Leaf fans disagree, I don't see Burke moving two defenders in this deal. He will likely rather move Lombardi to free up the log jam of depth players.

This may be what it takes to get it done, but from a fans perspective I don't like giving up on Kadri for a goaltender of Kippers age. Burke, with perhaps his job on the line, would likely be more willing to make such a bold move.
This is my thinking as well, and if he's going to make a bold move for an experienced goalie, Kipper is the best bet.

In order to get someone of Kipper's quality with 2 years left at a decent cap hit, you're going to have to give up something that will hurt a little.
Kadri is a good prospect, but IMO he's worth giving up for stability in net (and the time and mentorship to help Reimer properly grow into a true #1).

Quote:
Kadri
Franson
Komi

If Flames want Lombardi as well, maybe add a smaller piece to Kipper?
How high is the organization on Nemisz? (I realize that's probably pushing it)

Old
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Tont

vCash: 366
Without Kiprusoff, the Flames would be looking at a bottom five finish (which would probably be the best thing in the long run for the organization). Ownership and Feaster seem to want to go for the playoffs every year though, so I can't see them trade Kipper.

Tont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Vokoun would cost no assets though to get though, that makes him possibly more attractive if a team that is just looking for a veteran goalie to hold the fort for a year or two. Lou does have 10 years left which hurts his value but that NTC (which he has publicly stated he will waive if asked to) would become void and no longer exist if he gets traded. I realize there are more then 2 teams that need goalies but I did mention that most teams would prefer a young goalie such as Bernier for example, there are a few possibilities there.

If trading for Kipper would cost a mid to late first + a good prospect, I think teams would rather trade the same assets for a young goalie, adding more if needed before going after Kipper. All I'm saying is I'm not convinced there is the market for Kipper. I see teams that would be interested the most would be Columbus possibly to mentor Mason? Toronto to mentor Reimer? Washington to mentor Holtby? There are cheaper options as a mentor however (such as Vokoun). Chicago or Tampa because if they had a goalie they could become possible contenders. If Kipper gets moved I think it is because Calgary badly wants to move him and he will not fetch what you hope for. I don't think he is going to end up getting traded.
Teams that need a goalie:
Toronto
Columbus
Tampa Bay
Chicago
Edmonton
New Jersey? (depends on Marty)
San Jose?(are they desperate)
Out side shot at : Philly and Pitts

goalies most likely available to be a starter
Kipper
Thomas
Luo
Vokoun

There is a decent market and I believe that Kipper is more attractive to several teams such as San Jose and Chicago than Luo is since he is only signed for 2 more years.