HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Francois Allaire Retiring ?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:36 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I don't care one way or the other.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

you guys are stupid if you think it's Allaire's fault our goalies played like crap. Gustavsson is a lost cause, that's not Alliaire's fault or his systems. Reimer was having success playing Allaire's system before this season, Reimer sophmore year, concussion and injuries contributed to his crap year. Our AHL goalies are doing well.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:49 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
Who would be a good goalie coach to replace him?
CUJO!! He's Kingston Fronts goalie coach currently.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
you guys are stupid if you think it's Allaire's fault our goalies played like crap. Gustavsson is a lost cause, that's not Alliaire's fault or his systems. Reimer was having success playing Allaire's system before this season, Reimer sophmore year, concussion and injuries contributed to his crap year. Our AHL goalies are doing well.
Bingo. Gustavsson has been consistently mediocre with occasional glimpses of stellar play over the last 3 years. For whatever reason he has fans who vehemently support him, and perhaps that's because he has the ability to make show-stopping saves. But, he's just completely unreliable on a night-to-night basis. He makes it hard for his teammates to have confidence in him.

I don't put that on Allaire, I put that on Jonas not being capable of being a #1 goaltender in the NHL.

Simply put, if he were the best goaltender on this team, Burke wouldn't be showing him the door this off-season.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Dropkick Murphy

Rynnäs was commenting on finnish press that Allaire wants him to use glove like another blocker. Do not catch, block Allaire said. He also commented that it takes quite a lot time to adjust to that.

I don't know that much about NA goaltending-style, but current european approach is much more physic weighted than 3-5 years ago. Maybe that's the area where Allaire has fallen behind.

Dropkick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
If this means we can return to the days where goalies used their gloves to catch pucks instead of trying hit everything with their shoulders I'm in. Have just never liked the idea that he only focuses on one style of goaltending and tries to force every goalie in his path into that style. It may have helped some of them improve to a certain point, but does it mean they reached their highest potential?

I'm willing to lose the goaltending draw of this guy. If people are right in that it's all the players then it shouldn't matter if this guy goes since it won't get any worse. Coaching apparently can only make things better and never worse.

In the end won't be bothered if he does go. His reputation isn't exactly going to get us into the playoffs.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:48 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Bingo. Gustavsson has been consistently mediocre with occasional glimpses of stellar play over the last 3 years. For whatever reason he has fans who vehemently support him, and perhaps that's because he has the ability to make show-stopping saves. But, he's just completely unreliable on a night-to-night basis. He makes it hard for his teammates to have confidence in him.

I don't put that on Allaire, I put that on Jonas not being capable of being a #1 goaltender in the NHL.

Simply put, if he were the best goaltender on this team, Burke wouldn't be showing him the door this off-season.
but again ......it all comes back to burke .its his personal ..if allaire is retiring ,the story will come out if he just didnt like the personal hes had to work with or burke is under pressure from above
u listen to guys like darren pang ,greg millen , ken holland ,these guys are all over the league watching hockey,none of them think the butterfly goalie is a good current style....washington -boston series .....two just plain good battling goalies ,nothing wrong with those
if allaire leaves the leafs .its gotta be A-hes bitter with the current criticism ,or B...hes canned
if burke canned him i suspect the other coaches are going too

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
He probably doesn't want his name to be tarnished by this jinx.
this

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno31 View Post
I'd be surprised if the media members calling for Francois Allaire's head can name 3 goalie coaches in the NHL. He has been a scapegoat in Toronto, and Allaire himself doesn't like much attention. For these reasons I can see why he'd consider retirement.

I'd also like to mention Rynnas, Scrivens, Gustavsson and Owuya all listed as the major reason they signed here as Francois Allaire.

For those saying his style is outdated and doesn't work, that's absolute hogwash. Hiller uses it, Reimer has used it his entire career, Lundqvist is coached by Benoit Allaire, and many other goalies use Allaire's patented style all around the league. The issue you can say is that he's too inflexible but many goalies have succeeded under him. Want to know the real problem in toronto? We haven't given Allaire ANY NHL Caliber talent. We've given him young promising players and told him to pull a starting goalie out of his magic hat, all while doing so in one of the hardest markets in the league. Who was the last home grown goalie to develop in Toronto?

It isn't an ideal setting, and theres a reason. Leaf fans have gotten too high on Reimer thinking he's a legit top 10 goalie when in fact he had limited pro experience before his great run last year. Allaire has been a beacon for promising young goalies, and one of the few reasons anyone signs in Toronto. An open question I ask is if he goes who do you replace him with? Lastly, the defensive scheme is a huge impact of this as I've alluded to in many of my posts. Our goaltending will be better next year, I can almost guarantee it. Not because of talent but because of defensive schemes. Every armchair fan will point to Allaire being gone if that happens, but believe me it isn't the case in the slightest.

/end rant

www.budsboard.com If you want to read my goalie analysis and breakdown.. sorry for the rant just had to get it out.
I agree with most of what you're saying, he is a much respected goal tending coach and also the reason why many of the young goal tenders have signed with us but as I alluded to in an earlier post, results are the name of the game and his goal tenders have not performed very well.

I was wondering though if Carlyle and his staff are at odds with Allaire's coaching method and that may have prompted Allaire's sudden retirement plan.

Every one blamed Wilson for the team's skid and being out of the play-offs but most know that good goal tending is like good pitching in baseball if you haven't got it, you can't win.

Actually Allaire is really not a coach for the Leafs but he is listed as a consultant.

*Francois Allaire
Goaltending Consultant

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42119

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
but again ......it all comes back to burke .its his personal ..if allaire is retiring ,the story will come out if he just didnt like the personal hes had to work with or burke is under pressure from above
u listen to guys like darren pang ,greg millen , ken holland ,these guys are all over the league watching hockey,none of them think the butterfly goalie is a good current style....washington -boston series .....two just plain good battling goalies ,nothing wrong with those
if allaire leaves the leafs .its gotta be A-hes bitter with the current criticism ,or B...hes canned
if burke canned him i suspect the other coaches are going too
I heard this the other day on.....the t.v.? maybe. It was said that Penguin may bring in his own coaches and he may no longer need the services of Cronin and Gordon.
http://m.torontosun.com/2012/04/10/n...urke-briefings

Old
04-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

This really shouldn't effect much at all. Like other's have said, your either a good goalie or your not.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
And the kids came in and ate both of his hoagies......or the teams came in and ate both of his goalies.

Last edited by Borjes Baumingdyk: 04-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 07:41 AM
GrizzLeaf

Wilson took heat all season for screwing up this team, but the goalie coach gets a pass, when we all know with better goaltending this team makes the play-offs (and gets swept lol ).

You can't deny Allaire's resume. But it's not what have you done... it's what have you done for me lately?. Maybe teams have figured out the cookie-cutter Allaire style, or maybe that style just doesn't work in today's NHL.

Or, maybe the goalies we have aren't suited for that style. And that's what makes him less of a coach. A good coach assesses his charges and then figures out how to improve on their style. The style that got them to the pros. The style those goalies have played for, oh let's say, 15 years. That's the kind of goalie coach the Leafs goalies need. Not someone that will force a style on them, that the rest of the league has already figured out.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Pierre Gotye

I think he has lost his touch. Today's NHL goalies are much different from those in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

Allaire isn't a guy who has an ability to take a rock and mold it into a gem anymore.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Good.
First reaction, for sure.

WTF has he done to these goalies? I've never seen goalies use their elbows to make glove side high saves as well as refuse to use the paddle...

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Only leafs fans blame everyone on the coaching staff for their failures. Its so sad.
Yep. Oh well. Probably won't change anything.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
borjesalming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Im going to take a guess here and say if Allaire is in fact leaving, its because the Leafs are keying in on a veteran elite goalie, and they don't anticipate a fit between Allaire and an established keeper. Cant see Allaire being a benefit to a veteran goalie who has is game figured out...
It is likely a disagreement over the evaluation of what they have. Allaire perhaps thinks that Gustavsson should be signed up ad played next year, despite his current poor form, but the Maple Leafs do not have the courage to do this in the face of public (media) scrutiny.

borjesalming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Incoming Luongo for cheap.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I don't hate him per se, but man oh man, our goalies play ever so deep in net. I ain't no hockey expert, but its pretty obvious now.

Two things our goalies did all season: A) Play so deep that their back might touch back of net; and B) Use their glove arm like a chicken wing.

Most awkward goalie style in the NHL, I bet.

So, if such a coaching legend, can't fix just that; maybe indeed it is time for him to go. Not the only cause of failure, but a contributing factor.
Goalies play deep in their net because they don't have any confidence. That's not coaching. Trust me one of the biggest things Allaire works on is being out of your net to take away the angles.

However, only in Toronto could the goalie coach be blamed for the goalies being terrible. I never heard anyone blame the goalie coach when we had Toskalitis.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Incoming Luongo for cheap.
Honestly,if Canucks don't make it out of the 1st round,I think there's a very solid chance of this happening.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
I don't understand the hate towards the man. Explain to me how in New York, you have one of the best goalies in the league coached by Benoit Alliaire while in toronto Francois is the worst most un adaptable goaltending coach in the league. Give Francois talent and he will give you better results
toskala was not a good goalie before and after Allaire. he's not going out there and teaching Gus to reach out for a puck (that is clearly going wide) and deflect it in your own net.

an unfair scapegoat for sure.

also Gus has come along way from when he came over from Sweden. so many improvements to his game despite this lousy team.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
questhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Steal Sean Burke
My life would be complete. Been a NJ fan since start, but live in Ont. You see my dilemma.

Allaire's time is up in T.O. Too many Goalie's in Leafs organization have same weaknesses. It can't be they have always played this way, or they never would have made the league. It has to be coaching.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
BLONG7

Would it be fair to say, Burke gave him ground beef, and expected him to turn it into steak?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Well if it's true that he is gone then how about these for replacements (in no particular order):

CuJo
Potvin
Benoit Allaire (NYR assistant & goalie coach and it's Francois' brother)
Sean Burke
Martin Gerber or JS Aubin (maybe they can teach them how to ruin a run for a lottery pick but fall short of the playoffs)

CuJo, Potvin, and Burke would all be excellent choices because they all played the game and were successful, plus CuJo and Potvin played in our spotlight and didn't come unravelled.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote