HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Women's World Championship

Old
04-14-2012, 10:08 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Women's World Championship

After getting their butts handed to them by the Americans in Game 1, Canada won the Gold Medal game in OT. Congrats girls. Love Ya!!!

Last edited by KevyD: 04-14-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Please correct my spelling in the title.
KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
After getting their butts handed to them by the Americans in Game 1, Canada won the Gold Medal game in OT. Congrats girls. Love Ya!!!
HAHA FINALLY A THREAD!!! OMG I WAS SO TENSE!!! One of the best Hockey games of the year!!! The Girls were amazing!!!!!!!!! CONGRATZZ!!! So glad Women's Hockey is growing in other countries, it's pretty amazing competition.

Omen is good for the Men's Worlds. Last time we won Women's we also won Men's!!!

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:34 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
HAHA FINALLY A THREAD!!! OMG I WAS SO TENSE!!! One of the best Hockey games of the year!!! The Girls were amazing!!!!!!!!! CONGRATZZ!!! So glad Women's Hockey is growing in other countries, it's pretty amazing competition.

Omen is good for the Men's Worlds. Last time we won Women's we also won Men's!!!
Wonderful. Especially after getting smoked by the Americans in Game one. Everyone doubted them. Good for them.

Lots of cute women on the team too!

Old
04-15-2012, 02:02 AM
jonas2244

And it's the first time Switzerland wins a medal.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:14 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Swep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Took me a couple of seconds to realize that was a woman. It is a woman, right?

Swep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
joe89

Why do they play this tournament right in the middle of everything else happening in the hockey world? Pretty much all the European leagues are in their finals and the SC playoffs just started. And the WJC-18. I'm no fan, but Women's hockey could really use the attention and this is not the way to go.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Zamuz

the Swiss goalie was cute

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
zorz

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
the Swiss goalie was cute
I like where this thread is going.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Why do they play this tournament right in the middle of everything else happening in the hockey world? Pretty much all the European leagues are in their finals and the SC playoffs just started. And the WJC-18. I'm no fan, but Women's hockey could really use the attention and this is not the way to go.
No kidding. I would have watched it if it was on in a better time slot, but Saturday night against the NHL playoffs!

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:54 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
She's more HOT and SEXY than cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
No kidding. I would have watched it if it was on in a better time slot, but Saturday night against the NHL playoffs!
Yeah. Last weekend would have been a much better time period for this tournament. You missed a great game buddy.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Well when do you want them to schedule this tournament. It's scheduled right before the men's tournament in May and when that's completed it's june. Who wants to watch Hockey in june other then all us nuts at hf. It's too bad because last night the best Hockey game was not any of the NHL playoff games but it was the Gold Medal Final between Canada and USA. The game had speed, action, intensity, passion from the getgo, it was a treat to watch. Hockey at it's finest, not that goonery that happened in most of the NHL games last night. I can't wait until next year in Ottawa, there'll be sold out crowds each night, it'll be fun for sure!

Glad to see the Swiss win Bronze as well, it just shows how the countries are slowly but surely closing the gap. The Finns are the closest to joining the top 2, then there's a group of 3 in Sweden, Russia, Switzerland who have a ways to go but watching some of the teams, so much of it is just experiencing playing against the best. Their not use to the physical play in women's Hockey and that really hampers them. With the Sochi 2014 Olympics being on big ice there will be a chance for an upset because most of these girls can skate and a lot of european goalies are just as good if not better then Canada's and Usa's goaltenders.

Any Euro here that can give his/her take on the development of Women's Hockey in their respective country? It seems to be heading in the right direction and i'm guessing the 2018 games will be when we'll no longer talk about just the top 2 and it becomes the top 4 nations competing for Gold.

And yah continuing on the topic du jour... Florence Shelling A.K.A Swiss goalie vraiment cute!

http://images.wikia.com/icehockey/im...-Schelling.jpg

Old
04-15-2012, 12:06 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Interesting interview for all to watch, was last year but still talks about the development of the game.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:14 PM
zorz

I have no idea about women's hockey development or anything, but I just found out that Czech ladies promoted twice, both in 2010 and 2011 and are going to play top division next year. That's not bad. I'm not sure if something like that happened in IIHF tournaments before.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
And yah continuing on the topic du jour... Florence Shelling A.K.A Swiss goalie vraiment cute!

http://images.wikia.com/icehockey/im...-Schelling.jpg
Hi Eva,

Yes. It was a great game altho I have never understood why so much is done from the parameter. Why don't the teams rush the nets more? When they do, they score. Instead they play cautious hockey and shoot from the points. If I could change one thing about women’s hockey, that would be it.

P.S.

I thought the Gold Medal game could have been played last Sunday when the NHL had shut down.

Last edited by KevyD: 04-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Zamuz

Is there any league in the world where women get paid? i find it hard to believe that women can actually play hockey to make money as there is nobody really who wants to pay watching worse hockey than juniors.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:24 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I have no idea about women's hockey development or anything, but I just found out that Czech ladies promoted twice, both in 2010 and 2011 and are going to play top division next year. That's not bad. I'm not sure if something like that happened in IIHF tournaments before.
Wiki says you guys have 2085 female players. On the National Team a couple of players play in the States and one out near Vancouver.

Results since 2006 Olympics

2007 - Finished 5th in Division I
2008 - Finished 3rd in Division I
2009 - Finished 5th in Division I (Demoted to Division II)
2011 - Finished 1st in Division II (Promoted to Division I for the 2012 IIHF Women's World Championship)
2012 - Finished 1st in Division IA (Promoted to the 2013 IIHF Women's World Championship)

Have a chance to qualify for the 2014 Olympics and would be the first time in Olympic history the Czech women's team would make it! That's pretty sick. If they do make it , it would be huge and i'm sure the game would grow exponentially if such exposure occurs.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Is there any league in the world where women get paid? i find it hard to believe that women can actually play hockey to make money as there is nobody really who wants to pay watching worse hockey than juniors.
Worse Hockey then juniors. Are you stupid? These are some of the best women athletes in the World. What do you want? Them to be 6'2/200 pounds slamming eachother on the boards and taking 100 miles per hour slap shots? You obviously have no knowledge of Hockey whatsoever if you think it's bad Hockey. Have you ever been to a Women's Hockey game? Or heck even a junior Hockey game? That's sad, go out to a rink for once in your life and watch a game and then talk. Your probably one of those bafoons who think only pro Hockey is the real Hockey out there. Probably never even heard of Sledge Hockey and what they have to overcome. No point in bothering with you.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
zorz

Quote:
Wiki says you guys have 2085 female players. On the National Team a couple of players play in the States and one out near Vancouver.

Results since 2006 Olympics

2007 - Finished 5th in Division I
2008 - Finished 3rd in Division I
2009 - Finished 5th in Division I (Demoted to Division II)
2011 - Finished 1st in Division II (Promoted to Division I for the 2012 IIHF Women's World Championship)
2012 - Finished 1st in Division IA (Promoted to the 2013 IIHF Women's World Championship)

Have a chance to qualify for the 2014 Olympics and would be the first time in Olympic history the Czech women's team would make it! That's pretty sick. If they do make it , it would be huge and i'm sure the game would grow exponentially if such exposure occurs.
Great. Thx for the info. I'll follow how they are doing next year in Canada for sure.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:38 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Great. Thx for the info. I'll follow how they are doing next year in Canada for sure.
No problemo!

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?view=&lng=CZ&webid=538

Check that out. Seems they have their own league as well judging by the right side. The translate doesn't really translate well lol, The Z...does that mean 12 games played?!

Old
04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
zorz

Quote:
No problemo!

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?view=&lng=CZ&webid=538

Check that out. Seems they have their own league as well judging by the right side. The translate doesn't really translate well lol, The Z...does that mean 12 games played?!
Yes it does.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Hi Eva,

Yes. It was a great game altho I have never understood why so much is done from the parameter. Why don't the teams rush the nets more? When they do, they score. Instead they play cautious hockey and shoot from the points. If I could change one thing about women’s hockey, that would be it.

P.S.

I thought the Gold Medal game could have been played last Sunday when the NHL had shut down.
They do crash the net considering the winning goal was a result of our dwomen stepping up allowing for the winner but so much of the game seems to be transition and special teams especially Canada vs US. Canada's game is just like the men's in the O zone where they cycling and play that gritty game while trying to set up a shot in the slot and wear their opponents down physically, whereas the US was all speed and using that for an aggresive forecheck. I also think because of their inability to get quality shots off the rush might mean the team has to work the puck and try keeping possession until you find that perfect shot. Also the no bodycontact rule comes into effect because when it's not along the boards it's so hard to beat someone one on one because they just stay in front of you and yesterday's game showed that everyone was so good defensively not much was to be had from the inside, therefor all that perimeter play. Most of the goal were goalmouth scrambles and rebounds, which is what you almost expect in a game of this magnitude.

PS: KEVYYYD you spelt CHAMPIONSHIP wrong in the thread title!!!!!!!!! Lolll!

Old
04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Zamuz

Quote:
Worse Hockey then juniors. Are you stupid? These are some of the best women athletes in the World. What do you want? Them to be 6'2/200 pounds slamming eachother on the boards and taking 100 miles per hour slap shots? You obviously have no knowledge of Hockey whatsoever if you think it's bad Hockey. Have you ever been to a Women's Hockey game? Or heck even a junior Hockey game? That's sad, go out to a rink for once in your life and watch a game and then talk. Your probably one of those bafoons who think only pro Hockey is the real Hockey out there. Probably never even heard of Sledge Hockey and what they have to overcome. No point in bothering with you.
You missed my point by a mile.

Junior hockey is ahead of womens hockey, i'm pretty damn surprised you didn't know that. There are so many leagues, AHL, juniors, NHL... who on earth would choose women league over any of those? it's worse level hockey without any physical contact. Why so mad though, unless you're a female.

Also put Team Canada (women) against any pro junior team and Canada will get their ass kicked 20-0.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
They do crash the net considering the winning goal was a result of our dwomen stepping up allowing for the winner but so much of the game seems to be transition and special teams especially Canada vs US. Canada's game is just like the men's in the O zone where they cycling and play that gritty game while trying to set up a shot in the slot and wear their opponents down physically, whereas the US was all speed and using that for an aggresive forecheck. I also think because of their inability to get quality shots off the rush might mean the team has to work the puck and try keeping possession until you find that perfect shot. Also the no bodycontact rule comes into effect because when it's not along the boards it's so hard to beat someone one on one because they just stay in front of you and yesterday's game showed that everyone was so good defensively not much was to be had from the inside, therefor all that perimeter play. Most of the goal were goalmouth scrambles and rebounds, which is what you almost expect in a game of this magnitude.

PS: KEVYYYD you spelt CHAMPIONSHIP wrong in the thread title!!!!!!!!! Lolll!
Canada was trying to TIE up the game, for the longest time, from the parameters. Nothing was getting to the net. Nothing was going in. Then, as time was winding down and they were getting desperate, they crashed the net and scored. It was great!!! They need to do more of that. It would also help make the game more exciting.

The OT goal was off a 3 on 2 resulting from an American error.

P.S.

I know I misspelled it. I asked the Mods to correct it - I don’t know how to do it myself. They haven't yet.

Last edited by KevyD: 04-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Unless you're a female.
I am 99% sure the poster is female so please be respectful and understand why she is protective of her game.

In her defence, the most exciting hockey game I ever saw was the Women's Gold Medal game at the 2002 Olympics. The ref was cheating, Canada was down a player all game and they held on and won. I was sick from the tension.